New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default How would you build a flying, grappling Triton Storm Sorcerer ?

How would you build a flying, grappling Triton Storm Sorcerer ?

I don't have all the relevant books handy, but I wonder which of you build monkeys could put together a plan for such an "Aqua-Thor" type character? Any multi-classing ideas welcome if they work.

I can't remember the rules for damaging a grappled opponent with spells, but could it be done?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: How would you build a flying, grappling Triton Storm Sorcerer ?

I'm not a build monkey. I'm build-curious maybe?

Sorc and grappling - not the most optimized approach.

For grappling you need Str/athletics prof, iirc, and an advantage on str checks, like barbs get raging. Expertise in this helps, like you get from bard or maybe rogue.

Why are you thinking storm sorc pls? Is it a comic book thing I'm missing? I'm only somewhat up on comics - did see the first Thor movie and enjoyed it.

3. - Top - End - #3

Flying and grappling at the same time will be difficult, but a Sorc can get there.

If they take Quicken Spell, Alter self, and Enlarge/Reduce, they can get underwater breathing and advantage to all their grapple checks. The problem is, he can't use them at the same time.

You could replicate these by taking 5 levels of Warlock.

The Lock 5 has Gift of the Depths, granting you a swim speed and the ability to breathe underwater. Moreover, they have Hex, which is really good for grapplers. Disadvantage to your enemy's checks is exactly as good as advantage on your checks, and it's a bonus action spell, so you can grapple on the same round.

You also can cast Fly as a 5th level Warlock or Sorcerer. The problem is, Fly and Hex can't work together because of concentration.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Well, as a Triton he wouldn't need spells for magic for swimming or water breathing. Enlarge for sure! Being big enough to grapple big monsters is great. Tritons also get +1 strength.

Can you shocking grasp or throw a lighting bolt into a grappled opponent with your free hand?

What is needed to lift someone off the ground with a fly spell?

I like the idea of grabbing, shocking, flying into the sea and such. Maybe some barbarian or Tempest cleric levels would help. It was just a sudden image of a character I had, and I don't have books with me and wondered if anyone wanted to tackle it.
    Last edited by goremonger; 2017-12-09 at 04:39 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

That's true. Yes, you can Shocking Grasp or Lightning Bolt a grappled opponent with your free hand, but you still have to do an attack roll or they still have to do a saving throw. The DM can grant advantage/disadvantage based on the situation, but by default, there is no bonus.

If you're flying, the only thing you need to lift someone off the ground is to grapple them and fly up. Note that this will halve your fly speed unless they are two sizes smaller than you. So since the Fly spell grants you a 60ft movement speed, it gets halved to 30ft.

Note you can't fly and be enlarged at the same time this way.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by goremonger View Post
    How would you build a flying, grappling Triton Storm Sorcerer ?

I don't have all the relevant books handy, but I wonder which of you build monkeys could put together a plan for such an "Aqua-Thor" type character? Any multi-classing ideas welcome if they work.

I can't remember the rules for damaging a grappled opponent with spells, but could it be done?
    Hi!
    Well, it would have been easier if you had gone the Draconic Sorcerer way, but that's not too much of a problem.
    Start with 14 DEX, 16 CON, whatever else you like.

Pick Expedition Retreat and Shield as 1st level spells. Replace Expedition Retreat when you start using higher concentration spells regularly.
    You obviously need to get Enlarge in your repertoire for bigger creatures, but I'd also get Enhance Ability myself to always have something useful to do in party.

The only other things you basically need are two levels of Rogue to get Expertise in Athletics and Cunning Action, as well as light armor, and Fly when you get Sorcerer 5.

Besides that, good things to have...
    - Mobile feat: because you will play as a melee and possibly dragging people, extra speed is always nice.
    - Grappler feat: great to pair with Booming Blade to keep one enemy in your grasp while putting him away from his friends: self-sustained advantage on your cantrips is not a small thing. Of course if you plan on always using another reliable source of advantage (Wolf Barb, Darkness etc) you don't care about this.
    - Hex (Warlock 1): for those fights when you only want low spell consumption, great use of concentration.
    - Darkness + Devil Sight (Warlock 2 or 3): another way to get consistent advantage: beware though that it may be difficult to use without bothering your friends (unless you "keep" darkness at a point and rush back towards it but then you'd need high speed).
    - Smite (Paladin 2): starts making for a much slower overall progression, but can make you a great single-enemy handler provided you also invest into defense (which you can thanks to medium armor proficiency and possibly shield, confer below). You could even go to Devotion (shiny weapon, confer next point in case of shield) or Vengeance (so you really become a big guy downer).
    - Tavern Brawler: Booming Blade requires an attack made with a weapon: check with your DM how he would rule about improvised weapons. If he's ok with it, you could imagine "smite-booming bashing" the enemy you hold in one hand with your shield in the other. Of course you deal less damage than with normal weapon, but that +2 AC helps you stand strong against the creature's struggle. :)
    - Shield Master: here for reference in case you go the shield way.
    - Familiar (Find Familiar any way or Warlock 3): I'll let others confirm it, but I think some familiars can use magic items: if you have a Ring of Spell Storing, keep Hex in it so familiar casts it for you, while you keep another. ;)

In short, either you want to "be a Sorcerer that happens to be good at grappling" and you'll want to limit any "extra" to just Rogue 1-2, or you want to "be a powerful Storm Sorcerer-based gish that smashes grappled creatures to bits" and I suggest "keeping" 5-6 levels for other classes, OR ditch offensive spellcasting and focus on grabbing feats and improving defense, OR both. ;)

Note that if you go the "near-pure Sorcerer" way, as long as you learn all the necessary spells, once you get Simulacrum through Wish you will be as good as you'd like.
    Yeah, that's right, at level 18-19. XD

EDIT: Note that I gave you only official-compatible advice. With UA allowed, I think there are many sources that would help you achieve desired build in other manners (Artificer crafting his potions -Enlarge-, Mystic IIRC also has many things for mobility and checks)
    Last edited by Citan; 2017-12-09 at 02:54 PM.