New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default (3.5) For Want of a Nail... (Red)

Note: This is the campaign for the red team. If you are on the blue team, you may find a link to your campaign here. If you're looking to read how things have been going for the other team, I would ask that you stay three days behind to avoid spoilers.

The town of Jaspend. Up until recently, it had been the up-and-coming coastal settlement of Milia, and had been growing prodigiously. The reason for this was simple; it had an entirely unique geological feature, as beneath the cliffs which housed the city proper, there were tidal pools large enough for an entire fleet to make port in. The town had, in effect, a natural harbour that would be the envy of any capital city.
    Thanks to the affluence of the Dawncaster family, this fact had been exploited with cranes high up on the cliffs, and construction projects to reinforce the local topography. Ships could now sail in at high tide, and be entirely sheltered while the loading and unloading crews worked nearly a hundred feet above them, operating the sophisticated cranes with expertise.

Of course, that was all before the disappearances started. Ships weren't making it to Milia anymore, more often than not. Very few were willing to take the risk, so Jaspend had little wealth coming in. They could do some fishing from the shore, but it wasn't nearly enough to support the town. The whole kingdom was suffering from the lack of trade, and the roads weren't safe anymore. People who watched the sea from the cliffs at night could watch the ships' lights coasting along the inky blackness. Every so often, right before there eyes, one would disappear into the night.
    So, the mayor - who had been looking forward to retirement before long, prior to these events - did his best to keep everything in order. The Dawncaster family, having sunk most of their wealth into the town's infrastructure, stayed to keep an eye on their investments, and take care of the townsfolk, but their coffers were not unlimited. While they weren't broke - yet - the master of the house was growing more agitated by the day.

To make matters worse, the shipments of crops were growing scarcer. Jaspend, and its neighbouring county, was founded on very rocky soil. It was well watered, and had many nutrients, but the truth is there just wasn't enough actual dirt to build a farm on. They depended on trade from the continents, and if not them, then from the villages to the south who could produce enough food to feed themselves.
    And so it was that the mayor, with help from the Stephen, the head of the Dawncaster family, sent out a group of talented individuals to find out what was going wrong with the villages, hoping to weather this infernal storm.

Note: Play will begin Sunday, but feel free to introduce yourselves and roleplay around town before then.
    Last edited by Strigon; 2017-12-09 at 04:33 PM.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: (3.5) For Want of a Nail... (Red)

Come one! Come All! I have ale to rest the hard workers of this fine village. All the temple Heironeous asks for is that you continue your labors! Fenrir calls as he walks down the street with his ale laden cart. Whenever anyone comes for a drink he pours them a mug. He lets the children of the village ride his cart as he does his trip around the town.
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and CHAINFISTS FOR HANDS. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timble View Post
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    My 40k Discord Server: Join Today!
    Magic the Gathering (In the Playground)
    Games that I am in

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Get your medical examinazions here! I haffe fery vell exbertize to treat all ailments. Belor visches you all to haffe ein kood day!"

Mason shouts, looking for onlookers to accept
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Atop one of the cliffs near the harbor, on a flat protrusion of stone, Obsidian was completing her daily excercises. With her back towads the water and her massive sword held at full extension she cut quite the figure on the horizon.

"Ninety eight... Ninety nine... One hundred." Without lowering the blade she made a slow turn to face the water, closing her eyes as she did and used the inertia to continue her swordswing and sheathe the weapon in one fluid, deliberate motion. Opening her eyes she shivered, as she always did, at the sight of the ocean. So much water together in one place, and you couldn't drink even an ounce of it without being sick.

That's it for now, I can do the left arm in the evening. Now let's find someone who can pour me an ale without wetting their trousers. She thought to herself, smirking at the memory of last night's terrified innkeeper.
    Last edited by Sahigu; 2017-12-09 at 11:02 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    "Get your medical examinazions here! I haffe fery vell exbertize to treat all ailments. Belor visches you all to haffe ein kood day!"
    Are you going to talk like that all game? Its very hard to understand.
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    Games that I am in

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xenopax View Post
    Show
    Are you going to talk like that all game? Its very hard to understand.
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I'll give the original text in a spoiler if it bothers you. Since it's hard to do a german accent online, I just use the translator
    Spoiler: Original
    Show
    Get your medical examinations here! I have very well expertise to treat all ailments. Pelor wishes you all to have a good day!
    Show

Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Giving the original text would help. Thx
    Games that I am in

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Show
    Since Obsidian is not very bright, I can see many hilarious exchanges with Mason. I'll try not to abuse too much.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sahigu View Post
    Show
    Since Obsidian is not very bright, I can see many hilarious exchanges with Mason. I'll try not to abuse too much.
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    We'll see how that goes
    Show
    Note to DM: This is why OoC threads are usually made BEFORE the IC thread[/Sarcasm]
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2017-12-10 at 12:25 AM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    Show
    Note to DM: This is why OoC threads are usually made BEFORE the IC thread[/Sarcasm]
    Show
    Yeah, that seems smart.

All right, the OOC thread is now up, and let the games begin!

The mayor of the town, a certain Vernor Ledsman, IV, begins to collect the party. His frame is that of a man who was once quite well-fed, but has since lost a lot of weight very rapidly. Despite this, there's a certain spark of hope in his eyes as he gathers the saviours of his little town together. People look on with obvious curiosity and excitement, but generally keeping a respectful distance from the very dangerous group of people.
    Vernor, however, seems to take no notice of the intimidating size or peculiar speech patterns of his followers. He babbles on excitedly about how pleased he is that you've all accepted his offer, how grateful he and the town are, and how - when you get back - he'll throw a great feast in your honour! (You expect that the last bit might be an exaggeration, however - there still won't likely be enough food for a feast.)

Finally, on the main road leading out of town, he stops and turns toward you. He seems to have composed himself somewhat, and is now speaking more clearly.

"I'd like to thank you all again for your offer to help; I really don't know what we'd do without you. Now, the place you're looking for his just down that road," he gestured down the wide road in front of you, "about a day and a half. The terrain is a bit rough for the first few hours, but it levels out soon enough - just keep going straight. The place you're looking for is Cervus' Hollow - that's where all the nearby farms bring their food to sell at market, and where the traders collect it to sell here. Look for Max; he's the sheriff there, and a good friend of mine. He'll set things straight."

Finally, he stops for a breath.
    "Is there anything you'd like to know before you leave?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

The Door is waiting next to the entrance of the Dawncaster manor.
    He has been standing there for a day or so, and hasn't moved a bit.
    He looks very massive, but that might come from the heavy armor he wears. Between his large shoulder plates his helmet looks very small, and there is no part of his body that's not covered in iron. The only thing you can see, if you are looking directly into the slit of his helmet, is a faint glow of amber where his eyes are supposed to be. Just underneath his right shoulder is a plate with the familycrest of the Dawncasters and in his right hand he holds a stick. On that stick is a chain and on that chain hangs a spiked ball of iron. The other half of his body is covered by a large iron shield, that has the same hight as him and is just as broad. On the shield is the same crest as on the armor.

After a while he sees someone passing by with a mule and a cart full of ale, and he can hear a doctor shouting somwhere. Then, like master Dawncaster told him, the major comes to collect him, and he follows without a word.
    Last edited by Clockyard; 2017-12-10 at 10:13 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

"How strong is your friend? This... Max, is he not strong to stop people disappear?" Obsidian's tone is neutral, as if trying to understand something that is unsaid between the smallkins.

13. - Top - End - #13

"Well," begins the mayor, "the first thing I should say is that unless you're talking about ships at sea, nobody has disappeared as yet. That we know of, at least."
    He casts a glance at the ground, appearing suddenly concerned at this last statement.

"All we know is we haven't gotten food from them recently, and there are plenty of possible reasons for that which don't involve people disappearing. But to answer your question more directly, Max is... tough. He can hold his own in a fight, but in truth his real strength is in keeping the peace. He has a knack for keeping people calm and cooperative, which is mostly what's needed in a small farming community like theirs. Besides, his place is in the village, watching his people. There's plenty of road between our town and theirs for something to go wrong, and he can't be responsible for it all."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

"What if the small farming community does not have spare food to sell? Due to poor harvest and the like. What do we do then?" Asked Kela inquisitively.
    Last edited by Sirdragon; 2017-12-10 at 03:52 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

"Are there no minerals or heavy forests to exploit?"
    Games that I am in

16. - Top - End - #16

Vernor's eyes dart towards you as you ask that, and he makes a gesture with his hands that seems to indicate you shouldn't have said that so loudly.
    "If that's the case, and there's nothing you can do to help, then technically you've done your job - I did hire you only to investigate the source and bring news back to me," he said in a lowered voice.
    "But that won't really do us much good. If there really is no way for them to get food to us, then please hire a messenger to deliver that news to me - and only me, do you understand? Now, once you have sent the messenger on his way, carry on south toward Riverin. Once you're there, give the Duke this message. It's a letter explaining our situation, and asking for his aid. He should have some rations in place for emergencies."
    While saying this, he hastily writes a letter, and heads to the Dawncaster manor, not far off the road. He comes back a minute or two later, the letter having been replaced with a sealed envelope.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

"Good, it sounds like we've got someone who might be able to help. Before we go, let me get my horse. If we bring something back I don't want to carry it by hands. Also the mule might want some company.". The Doors voice sounds dull from underneath the helmet.
    He then wanders off only to return a few minutes later with a beautiful and pitch balck steed.

18. - Top - End - #18

"Regarding the question of minerals, there are some. It's not uncommon to find gold in the nearby waterways, and there's a salt mine that's not far off, too."
    Then he pauses, and chuckles to himself.
    "But forestry isn't a good industry for these parts. There are trees, to be sure, but there's nasty creatures in the woods around here. Which reminds me; for Pelor's sake, stay on the roads! Things don't usually come out into the open, but if you wander off into the forest there's no telling what you'll find."

He shudders, then adds, "If something out there turns out to be the problem, things will be bleak indeed."

"Besides, Milia isn't what you might call self-sufficient. The only reason we've grown to be so large is because we're smack in the middle of the two Great Continents. We can charge a premium for shipping and safe port, and the greatest university in the world is in our capital; as they say, all great ideas pass through Milia!"
    He brightens at this, seeming very proud of his homeland.
    Last edited by Strigon; 2017-12-10 at 04:03 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

"In the desert, tribes hunt food, fight for food. Keeps tribe strong." She makes a fist with her left hand for emphasis. "Don't have warriors to hunt? You say creatures in woods." She pauses as if gathering her thoughts "You say Duke has food, does his tribe hunt? Why not fight Duke?"
    Last edited by Sahigu; 2017-12-10 at 04:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

"To keep tripe schtrong, you vould haffe to incabacidate zee fiolent ones." Mason says, glaring at Utgard.
    "Tvist zem around your finger zuch zat zey are alvays in your command. If zey leaffe, zey vould find it hard to rezist coming pack" he notes, letting loose a small burst of healing into the air

Spoiler: Orginial/OOC
    Show
    Original: To keep tribe strong, you would have to incapacitate the violent ones. Twist them around your finger such that they are always in your command. If they leave, they would find it hard to resist coming back

OOC: What I'm basically saying is unnecessary violence = no heals comin your way
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

"As a warrior myself, I agree with obsidian. Get your warriors and send them to the forest to hunt. Eventually only the strongest and the best will be able to go day after day. "
    Games that I am in

22. - Top - End - #22

"Err... yes, well, we'd like to try this without getting anyone killed ideally. You see, we usually prefer to do things cooperatively in our culture..."
    The mayor is visibly flustered at this turn, and was just trying to find a way to explain when a woman's voice broke out.
    "I take it you've come from a nomadic society? That is, you take what you can from an area, then move on, only coming back when things have regrown?"
    This remark came from a young woman, who appears to have come from Dawncaster manor, and was directed towards Obsidian.
    "Well, this island is too small, and has too many people for that to work. There arev hundreds of people here, hundreds more in Cervus, and thousands upon thousands of p people in cities around the island. We'd run out of food, and so would everyone else. Then we'd have nowhere to go to get more food; things would get worse than ever."
    Vernor looks extremely relieved to have someone else explaining this particular question.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

"The solution to your problem is simple madam. Grow potatoes,Turnips,Corn and clover in turns. Turnips and clover are good food for pigs and such. Clover also rejuvenates the soil. Corn and potatoes can be made into a sort of bread and don't require much cooking to eat. You should also draft all the excess people into exploring groups that can explore new lands. You should tell them to make sure you get exclusive trade rights with any natives. "
    OOC: I was tempted to tell them that the solution to their problem was cannibalism.
    Games that I am in

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

A smile forms on the ugardian's face"Yes!" She says, excited. "You with funny speak, you understand tribe. Strong leader has control: stronger leader, stronger tribe." She meets the eyes of those gathered in turns, looking for more partners who share her view. Then adresses the mayor once again "You lead this tribe, yes? You also strong, like Max?"

EDIT (Double Ninja'd)

Obsidian turns to the newcomer woman "In desert not much grows. Tribes follow water, the mothers know where water moves. They see in sky and rock and sand, and they know. Water is life, not fight for water."
    Last edited by Sahigu; 2017-12-10 at 08:47 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Fenrir tries to tell Obsidian the truth in a way that won't make her confused.
    "The good mayor is strong in his mind"
    Games that I am in

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

After hearing this, Obsidian takes a step back from the mayor. "I know of strong mind, I see why you leader. I'm not strong mind, most can do is this." lifting her arm, a spike of energy sprouts from her upturned hand, sixty inches of pure blackness pointed at the sky. After a few moments she dissipates it.

"Strong mind says get food, if no food take paper to Duke. Duke has food." She says with reverence. Then addresses the woman: Not fight Duke?
    Last edited by Sahigu; 2017-12-10 at 09:04 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

"May I see the paper? I learned a couple years back never to carry a letter without knowing the contents. For all we know this could be a challenge to a duel with the duke and you have named us as your proxies. Heironeus knows I don't need to go through that again!"
    Games that I am in

28. - Top - End - #28

The woman looks at Obsidian, and appears to understand somewhat more than before.
    "We don't have rivers here; we have lakes. There's only one pool of water, and if it runs dry, then everybody dies."

The mayor, meanwhile, turns to Fenrir, and addresses his suggestion.
    "This island has been continually inhabited for 800 years, at least. There isn't much unexplored land left, and certainly very little that's open enough for agriculture. Your plan for crop rotation would be best given to someone who could implement it on a larger scale."
    Then, he frowns to himself.
    "And as for hunting, it's something I'd rather avoid. We'd lose too many people, and I'm not convinced it's a long-term solution. If we must, we must, but I want to exhaust every other opportunity first."

With that, he takes out a pocket knife, and gently pries the wax seal off of his envelope. He hands it over, and it reads:
    To Duke Berean of Riverin,
    While I realize that all of Milia is undergoing a time of strife, the county of Cervus is no longer able to support the people of Jaspend. I humbly request emergency provisions be brought to our town.
    Sincerely, Vernor Ledsman, mayor of Jaspend.

Once you've finished reading, he reaches for the letter.
    "I've got to go back inside to seal this again, or the Duke won't even bother reading it. I suppose you'd like to come watch, and ensure I don't switch letters?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

There is no need. If there was any subterfuge planned it would have been enacted by now. Seal it quickly so that we may hurry on our quest.

Show
    If we get on the road can the other 2 PC's who haven't talked join us? or are they out of the game?
    Games that I am in

30. - Top - End - #30

BlackDragon

"Utterly rediclous.The price of basic building materials and even food outrageously inflated and a nearly empty stock. The problem is worse than I believed" He pondered, walking past the towns shops and markets "This won't fix it's self anyhow, so participating the investigation is the best I can do to help this poor town."

Arriving mid-conversation with the group, hearing the part about the water and if it dried up. "That's terrible! There must be something I can do to prevent that. I fairly certain there is a item of some sort that would prevent such an outcome and would be able to provide your entire town with water. Alas, I do not have the nessceary materials to create such an item, though I will certainly look for them if the need is that great."
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Therefore, you just need a taller statue -- or a sufficiently high pedestal for your statue, if you're a cheese-weasel -- to permanently kill any god in 2e.