New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Default Glamour Bard question

The 14th level ability unbreakable majesty says:

For the duration, whenever any creature tries to attack you for the first time on a turn, the attacker must make a Charisma saving throw against your spell save DC. On a failed save, it can’t attack you on this turn, and it must choose a new target for its attack or the attack is wasted.

Would this apply to AOEs like fireball or cloudkill if the attacker is admittedly attempting to indirectly target the bard?

Is intent more important than mechanics?

And this leads into the next part of my question. The 3 core books, I think, are pretty consistent with attack = making an attack roll. Unbreakable majesty has “attack” in its description multiple times, consistently.

So this would settle AOE spells as permissible vs the bard as they are non-attack roll spells. However, it also leads to not as intuitive situations with spells like hold person, magic missle and disintegrate also being permissible on a failed save vs unbreakable majesty.

***actually*** I just looked at the spell sanctuary, and that spell specifically calls out both attacks and harmful spells. Also that you are not protected by AOEs.

I guess unbreakable majesty is kind of out of luck. It is what it is.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Glamour Bard question

I think you answered your question. I would guess it applies not to aoe, too.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Glamour Bard question

... Yes

I mean you hardcore did make all the points needed to be made

Only Attacks with Attack Rolls

No protection from Spell Saves