New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Dreadmaster "special cohorts"

Do a Dreadmaster's special cohorts advance like a normal cohort? For example if I select a doppleganger as my "special cohort" with its 6th level equivalent ECL for the purpose of the dreadmaster, can I then give it class levels or racial HD until it is my level -2 (assuming my leadership score is high enough for that)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dreadmaster "special cohorts"

Yes, you would treat the monsters ECL as its cohort level, so it would always have to be 2 below your level. This follows this "special cohorts" rules on page 200 of DMG.

One thing to note is that Dreadmaster was written before all monsters had listed ECL, so you should update the chart accordingly. For example, the Doppelganger has an ECL of 8 in 3.5 rules.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Dreadmaster "special cohorts"

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    One thing to note is that Dreadmaster was written before all monsters had listed ECL, so you should update the chart accordingly. For example, the Doppelganger has an ECL of 8 in 3.5 rules.
    I figured it was one of those circumstances where they had a reduced LA as a benefit of the prestige class, similar to taking a dragon with the Dragon Cohort feat.