New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default First draft of "Martial Archetype:Dervish"

This is just my first draft so I would like thoughts and opinions about all of it. I have my reasons for each piece but i'm not attached to most of it not even the names. The overall feel is to give solid two weapon fighting with a complexity level somewhere between the Champion and Battlemaster. Aaaaaaaaaaand GO!

Martial Archetype
    Dervish

(3rd) Ambidexterity- Your extra attack from two weapon fighting no longer uses your bonus action. You now make two attacks when you make an attack of opportunity, one with each hand. This only applies if you are wielding a light or finesse weapon in each hand.

(7th) Instinctive Defense- While not wearing armor and wielding a light OR finesse weapon in each hand your armor equals your Int+dex.

(10th) Uncanny Feint- At the end of your turn, while wielding a light or finesse weapon in each hand, you can choose one enemy you have attacked this turn to have disadvantage against the next attack that targets it.

(15th) Defensive Flourish- While you are wielding a light or finesse weapon in each hand you may use your reaction to impose disadvantage to one spell attack roll against you.

(18th) Fast Mind- When you use your action surge you add your intelligence bonus to the damage of all your melee attacks until the start of your next turn. You also add your intelligence bonus to any saving throw that you use your indomitable feature on.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Devil

Default Re: First draft of "Martial Archetype:Dervish"

Quote Originally Posted by Elminster298 View Post
    Martial Archetype
    Dervish

(3rd) Ambidexterity- Your extra attack from two weapon fighting no longer uses your bonus action. You now make two attacks when you make an attack of opportunity, one with each hand. This only applies if you are wielding a light or finesse weapon in each hand.
    Tighten up your wording. You've just removed the Bonus Action attack for no gain removing the point of TWF, and attacks of opportunity are now called Opportunity Attacks.

(7th) Instinctive Defense- While not wearing armor and wielding a light OR finesse weapon in each hand your armor equals your Int+dex.
    This is a rather large effect for a ribbon ability.

(10th) Uncanny Feint- At the end of your turn, while wielding a light or finesse weapon in each hand, you can choose one enemy you have attacked this turn to have disadvantage against the next attack that targets it.
    This makes no sense. You don't have disadvantage against attacks. Do you mean the next melee attack made against that opponent has Advantage? Perhaps limit that until the end of it's next turn so it has a logical end point as it regathers it's footing.

(15th) Defensive Flourish- While you are wielding a light or finesse weapon in each hand you may use your reaction to impose disadvantage to one spell attack roll against you.
    Nice.

(18th) Fast Mind- When you use your action surge you add your intelligence bonus to the damage of all your melee attacks until the start of your next turn. You also add your intelligence bonus to any saving throw that you use your indomitable feature on.
    Nice capstone. Please clarify if the Int Bonus is only in addition to Indomitable after Action Surge.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: First draft of "Martial Archetype:Dervish"

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Tighten up your wording. You've just removed the Bonus Action attack for no gain removing the point of TWF, and attacks of opportunity are now called Opportunity Attacks.
    This is one of those situations where it made sense when I wrote it but now that it has been pointed out it's obvious I should have made it clearer. The intention was to keep the extra attack from two weapon fighting but, instead of using your bonus action, the extra attack is part of the "attack action".

This is a rather large effect for a ribbon ability.
    I agree entirely. This was the only appropriate ability I could think of to tie intelligence into the class early without making it feel "academic". I am fully open to suggestions here.

This makes no sense. You don't have disadvantage against attacks. Do you mean the next melee attack made against that opponent has Advantage? Perhaps limit that until the end of it's next turn so it has a logical end point as it regathers it's footing.
    Your interpretation is exactly what my intent was, including the time limitation. I just wrote it badly even after 3 proofreads.

Nice.
    Thank you. I thought this captured the intent really well also.

Nice capstone. Please clarify if the Int Bonus is only in addition to Indomitable after Action Surge.
    Int bonus to damage after action surge is separate from int bonus to indomitable. They do not need to be used at the same time. Does that make sense?