New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 12/11/2017

Quote Originally Posted by Regitnui View Post
    -----
    In more serious matters, I think the Artificer as presented is still going to see some fixes. After all, that sudden golem at level 6 really looked like a play test feature; something they tossed in to see how it worked and if it was worth expanding on later. I think that feature should be something like the druid's Wild Shape; any artificer can make a basic construct companion, but one subclass goes deeper and makes the companion their main feature.
    I would think that Artificer could be a full caster. I mean look at what they did to bard!!!

But then the subclasses would focus on the 3.5 paths builds often took. Wand blasting, alchemy, golemancy, buffing, and elsewhile crafting.

I really want to see how they do Shifter in 5e. That is by far the most complex race from eberron, and the 3.5 mechanics, particularly scaling would be difficult to capture in 5e. I don't know how they were done in 4e.
    Spoiler: I am the
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khrysaes View Post
    I really want to see how they do Shifter in 5e. That is by far the most complex race from eberron, and the 3.5 mechanics, particularly scaling would be difficult to capture in 5e. I don't know how they were done in 4e.
    Personally I think the subrace system is perfect for the shifters. They've done scaling spells fairly well, so I have confidence in that at leasthe. My fear is they try to ram FR expectations into Eberron...
    Spoiler: Quotes from the Playground
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    In fact, I will here formally propose the Zeroth Rule of Gaming: No rule in any game shall be interpreted in a way that breaks the game if it is possible to interpret that rule in a way that does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Good old Jes, the infamous Doppelganger MILF.

(aka "The Doppelbanger")
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    Shhhhh, shhhhhh. Be calm, inhale the beholder's wacky float gas and stop worrying.

Adapting published monsters to Eberron: Naturalist's Guide to Eberron Latest: Annis Hag

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Why people get so worked up about something that's not even in final form yet?

Cut them some slack! Many people out there have hoped to see Artificer brought into this edition, and they (wotc) are doing their best to iterate a best possible, most satisfying solution. Sure, current version might seem off for now, but that's why you got to keep the feedback coming! Unless you think artificer's not your thing, then don't bother. Shooting it down doesn't help the others who think the opposite. Just ignore the class(es) presented and be happy with whatever you think is fun, and let others have their own fun.

Despite the quotes, none of this is personal.
    Because you've got to wonder at what stage professional rules developers consider that stuff even remotely sensible, or interesting, or fun.
    Last edited by Vaz; 2017-12-12 at 05:42 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34

Personally I think the subrace system is perfect for the shifters. They've done scaling spells fairly well, so I have confidence in that at leasthe. My fear is they try to ram FR expectations into Eberron...
    For the most part I would agree that a subrace system would be used to differentiate the different shifter powers.

And after a quick look up, 4e had their shifting as an encounter power. So likely a short rest racial power.

I am more specifically talking about how in 3.5 there were a myriad of feats that allowed for scaling of the ability, and interesting prestiege classes and alternative class features that built upon their shifting. I particularly like the Ranger & Druid class features in Races of Eberron, and the Were touched master.

As feats are a precious commodity in 3.5, I am not sure how that scaling would translate, if it would at all.
    Spoiler: I am the
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Because you've got to wonder at what stage professional rules developers consider that stuff even remotely sensible, or interesting, or fun.
    Right about the time they start development, of course. This isn't EA. They'll only design something they enjoy or think their players will enjoy. I've heard more positive reviews of the artificer than bad, and the base they gave is fertile ground for building on.

Quote Originally Posted by Khrysaes View Post
    For the most part I would agree that a subrace system would be used to differentiate the different shifter powers.

And after a quick look up, 4e had their shifting as an encounter power. So likely a short rest racial power.

I am more specifically talking about how in 3.5 there were a myriad of feats that allowed for scaling of the ability, and interesting prestiege classes and alternative class features that built upon their shifting. I particularly like the Ranger & Druid class features in Races of Eberron, and the Were touched master.

As feats are a precious commodity in 3.5, I am not sure how that scaling would translate, if it would at all.
    Oh, those. Yeah, that aspect would be tricky. They did reintroduce racial feats though. That would be a good start.
    Show
    In fact, I will here formally propose the Zeroth Rule of Gaming: No rule in any game shall be interpreted in a way that breaks the game if it is possible to interpret that rule in a way that does not.

(aka "The Doppelbanger")
    Shhhhh, shhhhhh. Be calm, inhale the beholder's wacky float gas and stop worrying.

Adapting published monsters to Eberron: Naturalist's Guide to Eberron Latest: Annis Hag

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I respectfully disagree. I DO find the latest iteration interesting and fun. Just because a handful of people (apparently including you) feels otherwise doesn't mean they're any more right than the others. Opinion is an incredible thing. We all have the right to have one. And no one, not even you, can dictate what it should be. Opinions aren't worth fighting for or over.

Let's just agree to disagree.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-12-12 at 06:56 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37

Daemon

The Artificer as-is is completely disappointing, feeling barren of substance in its entirety.

Meanwhile, the Mystic is on the opposite end in that its chock-full of stuff, being incredibly front-loaded.
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

'I came up with these totally awesome (read pointless bumrag) rules while playing DnD, not really paying attention, and then had it edited into a book and we actually made money off that nonsense' was part of the sales pitch for Xanathars.
    I laughed, though I am glad that the Celestial Warlock is finally gone final.

I think that their next release will include a "finished" form of the Mystic. I also think that Dark Sun is not gonna happen, now that a 5e setting (the current WoTC AL lead is stepping into that project) from a 3rd party publisher is on the horizon: Scavenger.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2017-12-12 at 08:54 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I laughed, though I am glad that the Celestial Warlock is finally gone final.

I think that their next release will include a "finished" form of the Mystic. I also think that Dark Sun is not gonna happen, now that a 5e setting (the current WoTC AL lead is stepping into that project) from a 3rd party publisher is on the horizon: Scavenger.
    The fact that this Scavenger is already proclaimed as a 3rd-party project does, in fact, suggest nothing about Dark Sun being updated.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I'd say that not only does a third party setting mean nothing to WotC, but Scavanger looks like it'll have some differences to Dark Sun. More interaction with other planes of existence for one, as well as fewer murderous 20th level sorcerers wizards about looking to genocide their way into ultimate power (because Dragons really do seem to be the most powerful beings on Athas). It looks a little more hopeful, and the art style looks a little different.

On the other hand, I'm not expecting Dark Sun soon. Maybe if 5e ends up lasting a decade we'll get an official Dark Sun conversion, but I think the most likely settings to be used are those that connect to the FR easily, and that means Spelljammer and Planescape.

It'll be interesting if they are working on a Planescape product, especially as they'll have to decide how Realms-centric they want it (vanilla Planescape obviously doesn't have the Realms-specific bits of fluff, and it'll be a case of keeping things like the Wall of the Faithless and Weave in versus going for that classic Planescape flavour).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Despite the quotes, none of this is personal.
    im more criticizing the handling of subclasses and the sales pitch than the class. i think they got the idea of the old Artificer right (if not a mechanical match) in the new system. But most of all i think they botched the Sales Pitch of the class rather than the technical which they can adjust in development.

like, the 5E artificer is the guy that makes magic items on the fly as needed to solve problems, but theyre also the alchemist, gunslinger, and the golem master. youre ability to juryrig everything is a little too broad for just the Magic item dude.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Sometimes, what comes before the final form is deeply troubling.

Ask Krillen about Frieza's final form. Didn't work out well for him, did it?!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Banned

Devil

Opinions aren't worth fighting for or over.
    Yes they are.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Sometimes, what comes before the final form is deeply troubling.

Ask Krillen about Frieza's final form. Didn't work out well for him, did it?!
    Pardon my ignorance, who are Krillen and Frieza?

Yes they are.
    It's an endless battle without a clear winner, ergo it's pointless in the end (which may never come). I'd prefer doing something more productive instead.

But, if you want to waste your time on that, be my guest!
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-12-12 at 06:15 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Banned

Devil

It's an endless battle without a clear winner, ergo it's pointless in the end (which may never come). I'd prefer doing something more productive instead.

But, if you want to waste your time on that, be my guest!
    Thanks for your permission.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Thanks for your permission.
    I tried to be nice towards you for a long time but I'm not oblivious of your veiled insults and mockery towards me. Have a nice trip to the ignore list.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

17. - Top - End - #47

Daemon

Pardon my ignorance, who are Krillen and Frieza?
    Krillin and Frieza are DBZ characters, with Krillin being Goku's best friend and Frieza being evil space-conquerer.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

good news, Reddit found the December Unearthed Arcana.

Its here
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

Drow avatar @ myself

19. - Top - End - #49

Daemon

Aren't the Plane Shift articles completely separate than UA?

Though this one is alright. No player options except a few animals for Wildshape though, which is a little disappointing after the Amonkhet supplement which introduced 5(?) Races and 4 subclasses?
    Last edited by Wartex1; 2017-12-12 at 09:57 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wartex1 View Post

Though this one is alright. No player options except a few animals for Wildshape though, which is a little disappointing after the Amonkhet supplement which introduced 5(?) Races and 4 subclasses?
    the other half of the plane shift comes out next month.

the player options can already somewhat be excavated from the character sheets at the end of the document

When Greyhawk Initiative came out, we decided that Plane Shift: Almondcat was the real UA for the month back then too
    Last edited by toapat; 2017-12-12 at 10:47 PM.

Drow avatar @ myself

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Krillin and Frieza are DBZ characters, with Krillin being Goku's best friend and Frieza being evil space-conquerer.
    To explain the reference fully...

While facing the space conquerer Frieza, Krillin and his friends were completely outclassed. Krillin himself ended up impaled on the minotaur-like horns growing out of Frieza’s head (he got better thanks to the local white mage). It was also revealed that Frieza had two more transformations to go, each stronger than the body he was already in (which is how “this isn’t even my final form yet” and other such references to a final form became memes). Eventually, the battle progressed to the point where the tyrant was indeed in his final form and made Krillin explode.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

The Plane shift supplements come out after the block has been completed. Rivals of Ixalan, the second and final set of the Ixalan block, has yet to even start previews. However, a Plane Shift: Unstable, could be hilarious.
    Show

(aka "The Doppelbanger")

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tectorman View Post
    To explain the reference fully...

While facing the space conquerer Frieza, Krillin and his friends were completely outclassed. Krillin himself ended up impaled on the minotaur-like horns growing out of Frieza’s head (he got better thanks to the local white mage). It was also revealed that Frieza had two more transformations to go, each stronger than the body he was already in (which is how “this isn’t even my final form yet” and other such references to a final form became memes). Eventually, the battle progressed to the point where the tyrant was indeed in his final form and made Krillin explode.
    Ah, gotcha!

I never watched DBZ extensively when it came from TV when I was younger, as it didn't particularly pique my interest. I've mostly seen episodes sporadically, and so I'm not very well acquainted with the story.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-12-12 at 11:43 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

However, a Plane Shift: Unstable, could be hilarious.
    There are previews for Rivals, and one of them is Tolarian Academy.

So, would Plane Shift: Bablovia have THE SWORD OF DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS or THE SWORD OF MAGIC THE GATHERING

my idea for Sword of DnD in PS: Bablovia:

Spoiler
    Show
    Sword of Dungeons and Dragons
    Artifact Weapon, (All), requires attunement

This unshaped rift in the Universe ripples with untold and limitless power, as its ability to shape the cosmos radiates with unimagined power.

While attuned to this item, The DM rolls a new character and replaces yours. you become the DM

Drow avatar @ myself

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    good news, Reddit found the December Unearthed Arcana.

Its here
    Time to have a peak.

Treasure looks interesting, I'm waiting for next month's UA now so it can be complete.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

26. - Top - End - #56

Eberron, Eberron, Eberron.
    Best setting and WotC should do it next
    Eberron, Eberron, Eberron
    *cough*noteveninthetopfive*cough*

Honestly I'd like to see them tackle Planescape or Greyhawk next. Greyhawk would be an obvious next step given the sheer absurd number of Greyhawk references that were in the last couple of adventure releases, including pretty much using some of the most notable Greyhawk-specific adventures in Tales from the Yawning Portal.

Something like a Flanaess Adventurer's Guide or Free City Gazetteer wouldn't be too terrible.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post

Honestly I'd like to see them tackle Planescape or Greyhawk next. Greyhawk would be an obvious next step given the sheer absurd number of Greyhawk references that were in the last couple of adventure releases, including pretty much using some of the most notable Greyhawk-specific adventures in Tales from the Yawning Portal.

Something like a Flanaess Adventurer's Guide or Free City Gazetteer wouldn't be too terrible.
    I think they might be setting up the idea that it's not that uncommon to walk through a portal and end up going from Faerun to Oerth, just so they can have both (and Barovia!) in one massive setting for AL/storyline purposes. Perhaps starting with an adventure to return Mordenkainen to a beleaguered Greyhawk, maybe even a fan service-filled foray into the ruins of Castle Greyhawk.

If they do take this route, I'm pretty certain Planescape won't be far off. It fits their hardcover module system well, allowing players to organically move from one setting to the other.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Hush. From the last setting survey:

Not surprisingly, our most popular settings from prior editions landed at the top of the rankings, with Eberron, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Planescape, and the Forgotten Realms all proving equally popular.
    They've done Ravenloft, everything so far's been FR and Dark Sun is wildly different. That leaves the "Plane book" and "Eberron" as the most likely options according to the survey. Greyhawk is Forgotten Realms with different names and a slightly older legacy. All of the top settings there have distinct identities; "Noir wide magic", "gothic evil", "psionic post-apocalypse", "Literal centre of the multiiverse" and "high fantasy". Greyhawk is another "high fantasy", so they'll likely update that stuff into FR.
    Show

(aka "The Doppelbanger")

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Frankly Greyhawk would be a waste of time and money for WotC I would think. It has never done well as novels or games and fills the same basic niche as FR while at the same time being less popular (whether you feel that is intrinsic or TSR/WotC only giving it mostly lip service for decades, even in 3e it was mostly lip service, is a matter of opinion and point of view). As for the references they have been making references in the books to all sorts of things from different settings so to me that does not mean that they are seriously thinking about going all in on a setting for a book. This edition is being very choosy on what it wants to make into books so something as limited as a Greyhawk only item would be a stretch.

The same applies to Dragonlance though that did at least have some success initially as novels but it really petered out over time.

I do think WotC learned some lessons from TSR and one of the big ones was do not break up your fanbase by having too many settings going especially ones that fit the same basic premise.

Looking at that I do agree that Planescape will probably get some love though I am not sure they are going to call it a setting but rather give you a book (or books) that flesh out the planes that will include things that were in the setting but with Planescape it can be used with other settings so I think they will play it out as an advanced add on to all settings such as FR. I would not be completely surprised if they did the same with Spelljammer and they could even put it in the same book to pad things out. They could then let people on DM GUild create to their liking all the additional things that both settings would want but WotC may not want to deal with.

As for actual settings that get potentially a full book treatment or the like I think that may be limited to settings that do not work well in a setting like FR. To me that screams Dark Sun, Eberron, and settings like that which have very different styles than FR, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, and sadly Mystara.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26