New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Staffs in 3.5

1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Staffs in 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    As this is D&D and not TES games, they're enhancements, not enchantments. Enchantments are spells that affect the mind.
    You would think that, but "enhancement" is only ever a bonus type*. Armour, weapons, and shields have "special abilities" or "properties". Craft Magic Arms and Armour does use "enhance" to refer to the crafting process, but the result is never* called "enhancement". "Enchanted" and "enchantment" are never* used to refer to magic item abilities or properties, either. Probably because it would be confusing.

I mean, your point sort of stands, but then again, if I want to call it a weapon enchantment, it's pretty clear what I mean. No need to be fussy.

*I ctrl-f'd the DMG and MIC, so don't take this as gospel.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

I was just channelling Sean K Reynolds there. Little has changed in almost 16 years, it seems.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    I was just channelling Sean K Reynolds there. Little has changed in almost 16 years, it seems.
    My first thought reading that was "Who's 'we,' bub?" He gets into TSR as a web developer in the mid 90's, six years after 2nd edition came out and the design decisions he talks about were already done with.

My second thought reading that was "Make me." I mean, I agree with Caelestion, but screw it. It's all "enchantment bonus" and "fighteress" from here on out.
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2017-12-14 at 08:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

tongue Re: Staffs in 3.5

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary

enchantment
    Enchantment spells affect the minds of others, influencing or controlling their behavior. All enchantments are mind-affecting spells. Two types of enchantment spells grant you influence over a subject creature.
    Source: PHB
    enhancement bonus
    A bonus that represents an increase in the sturdiness and/or effectiveness of armor or natural armor, or the effectiveness of a weapon, or a general bonus to an ability score. Multiple enhancement bonuses on the same object (in the case of armor and weapons), creature (in the case of natural armor), or ability score do not stack. Only the highest enhancement bonus applies. Since enhancement bonuses to armor or natural armor effectively increase the armor or natural armor's bonus to AC, they don't apply against touch attacks.
    Source: PHB

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    No, you can expressly wield a quaterstaff in one hand. Read the srd entry for quarterstaff. You can only wield one end at a time.
    You're mistaken. A staff is a two-handed weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Two-Handed

Two hands are required to use a two-handed melee weapon effectively. Apply 1½ times the character’s Strength bonus to damage rolls for melee attacks with such a weapon.
    Now, I can see why it's confusing, as the SRD Quarterstaff listing lists this:
    Quarterstaff

A quarterstaff is a double weapon. You can fight with it as if fighting with two weapons, but if you do, you incur all the normal attack penalties associated with fighting with two weapons, just as if you were using a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. A creature wielding a quarterstaff in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.
    So, the quarterstaff is listed as a two-handed weapon. Yet the weapon entry specifically says you can't use it as a double weapon if you're using it one-handed. A contradiction... how is it resolved?

By the rules on Weapon Sizes and Inappropriately Sized Weapons.
    Weapon Size

Every weapon has a size category. This designation indicates the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed.
    A weapon’s size category isn’t the same as its size as an object. Instead, a weapon’s size category is keyed to the size of the intended wielder. In general, a light weapon is an object two size categories smaller than the wielder, a one-handed weapon is an object one size category smaller than the wielder, and a two-handed weapon is an object of the same size category as the wielder.
    Inappropriately Sized Weapons

A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon a -4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.
    So, under these rules, a medium sized creature could use a small sized quarterstaff one-handed. In that case, even if you have Two-Weapon Fighting, you can't use the staff as a double-weapon.

But a normal quarterstaff, one sized for your character's actual Size? You can't use that one-handed.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post

But a normal quarterstaff, one sized for your character's actual Size? You can't use that one-handed.
    Well not as a weapon to swing for 1d6 damage, but presumably you could use a magic staff and invoke its spells just fine one-handed. So it depends what kind of "use" we are talking about?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

If you get +5 enhancement bonus to both ends of a staff, what impact would it have on HD and hardness? Does it stack in any way?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ayvango View Post
    If you get +5 enhancement bonus to both ends of a staff, what impact would it have on HD and hardness? Does it stack in any way?
    The bonuses are the same type so do not stack.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

I tried to use my staff as a weapon, but they threatened to quit.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
    You're mistaken. A staff is a two-handed weapon.

Now, I can see why it's confusing, as the SRD Quarterstaff listing lists this:

So, the quarterstaff is listed as a two-handed weapon. Yet the weapon entry specifically says you can't use it as a double weapon if you're using it one-handed. A contradiction... how is it resolved?

By the rules on Weapon Sizes and Inappropriately Sized Weapons.

So, under these rules, a medium sized creature could use a small sized quarterstaff one-handed. In that case, even if you have Two-Weapon Fighting, you can't use the staff as a double-weapon.

I thought a staff was an item with spells stored in it...

11. - Top - End - #41

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    The bonuses are the same type so do not stack.
    But they are applied to different ends.

12. - Top - End - #42

What’s the rule or interpretation that lets you turn a mw quarterstaff into a magic staff?
    Excel sheet for 3.5 -- Native support for stacking rules and multiple forms; as lightweight as possible otherwise. (links currently broken, if you want a copy LMK)

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

Good question, I wonder if the rules for combining magical effects on the same item should apply.

When I last looked at this seriously as a player I decided to sidestep the issue and make a hollow tube and enchant it as a staff then slip it over a seperatly enchanted quarterstaff so I had two completely separate items that just happen to occupy the same physical space due to clever geometry.
    I am rel.