New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Converting my 3.5 character, Mystic Build

Hello everyone,

I used to DM my group, but we switched DMs to give me a break and the new guy a shot. So we're switching from 3.5e to 5e.

I've been excited to be a player again but the new edition left me missing my Elan Psion Telepath/Thrallherd

The key features for me were:
    Elan racial abilities:
    Immediate actions:
    Resilience: pay 1 PP to increase save by +4
    Resistance: pay 1 PP to reduce damage by 2

Powers of note:
    Read minds
    Detect thoughts
    Addiction
    Aversion
    Energy Burst: 5pp for 5d6dmg to everything within 40feet
    Pay +1 PP per extra d6
    Teleport
    Microcosm: create your own demiplane
    Mind seed
    Mind switch, True
    Fusion
    Reality revision: psychic version of wish spell

I get this won't fully transfer, but any ideas or recommendations to build a Mystic this way?

My basic play style was the leader of the group, hung back casting DPS and mostly dominating NPCs in conversations, and then Unleashing massive damage for massive power points in bad situations (11d6+11 DMG to everything in 40 feet every round until everything was dead).

I enjoyed playing the charismatic leader who held his power in reserve until he got to unleash an impressive display to back up his words when they were questioned.

I would also mindswitch with any powerful stupid creatures we came across, my favorite being a troll.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Converting my 3.5 character, Mystic Build

Additional info:
    I will be making a level 5 character, but a plan to 20 would be cool too.

My stats I rolled are: 18,18,16,16,11,11
    Last edited by Drache64; 2017-12-11 at 05:53 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drache64 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I used to DM my group, but we switched DMs to give me a break and the new guy a shot. So we're switching from 3.5e to 5e.

I've been excited to be a player again but the new edition left me missing my Elan Psion Telepath/Thrallherd

The key features for me were:
    Elan racial abilities:
    Immediate actions:

Powers of note:
    Read minds
    Detect thoughts
    Addiction
    Aversion
    Energy Burst: 5pp for 5d6dmg to everything within 40feet
    Pay +1 PP per extra d6
    Teleport
    Mind seed
    Mind switch, True
    Fusion

I get this won't fully transfer, but any ideas or recommendations to build a Mystic this way?

My basic play style was the leader of the group, hung back casting DPS and mostly dominating NPCs in conversations, and then Unleashing massive damage for massive power points in bad situations (11d6+11 DMG to everything in 40 feet every round until everything was dead).

I enjoyed playing the charismatic leader who held his power in reserve until he got to unleash an impressive display to back up his words when they were questioned.

I would also mindswitch with any powerful stupid creatures we came across, my favorite being a troll.
    Alright, so the obvious choice here is the Mystic class from the 5e Unearthed Arcana. Make sure you have the most up to date version (3). In my personal opinion, it sounds to me that you are more of an Awakened build. But here is the kicker, Out of the eventual 8 disciplines you will get, only 2 have to be from your chosen school, except for soul knife, they don't have their own disciplines, nor do they receive the bonus 2 like the other Orders. And there are at least two good ones in each Order. So you are really shopping for the benefits you get from your Order, as your discipline choice can be quite excellent.

Personally, I think that the Awakened or the Immortal Orders' abilities are the most helpful, unless you want to get into medium armor and melee weapons. Not really your shtick though. So either of those would be good.

As for the Disciplines that give you the abilities you want? I'll list 'em.

Both of these would fall under Adaptive Body or Iron Durability depending on whether or not you were trying to ignore physical or elemental damage.

Powers of note:
    Read minds - Telepathic Contact or Psychic Inquisition would be the closest i'd say.
    Detect thoughts - Telepathic Contact or Psychic Inquisition would be the closest i'd say.
    Addiction - Mantle of Awe
    Aversion - Crown of Disgust
    Energy Burst: 5pp for 5d6dmg to everything within 40feet, Pay +1 PP per extra d6 - Psychic Assault is better and more useful
    Teleport - Nomadic Step is close, but not quite what you are looking for.

The following have no Equivalent 5e versions:
    Mind seed
    Mind switch, True
    Fusion

As for Ability Score Improvements (ASIs), you should max out your INT first, followed by your CON. After that, it's really up to you to build how you like. I honestly would not waste your time with feats unless there is something you simply HAVE to have. At higher levels, these things become mostly superfluous anyways.

If you wanted my recommended build, I would start with Either Immortal or Awakened orders, and at 5th, your list should look like this:

Awakened:
    Psychic Assault
    Telepathic Contact
    Crown of Disgust
    Mantle of Awe
    Nomadic Step

Immortal:
    Bestial Form
    Adaptive Body
    Telepathic Contact
    Psychic Assault
    +1 your choice

Overall, the awakened seems more your thing, but I am very biased towards suggesting Immortal, as they have SOLID abilities. Would make you survive all that wheeling and dealing you are doing.

Just my thoughts!
    -Carr

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

So 5e has bounded accuracy, it's a way for the developers to keep PC's from boasting stats/saves/actions per turn into infinity.

5e also doesn't really have an amazing psionic system as they are very slowly releasing content to prevent bloat or abilities that could break the game.

So you should keep in mind that the ability to have an army of followers is impossible mechanically in 5e, also most powerful spells need concentration and you can't have two concentration spells cast at the same time (this is to prevent 50+ buff spells on one character).

Honestly the best way to emulate a thrallherd mechanically would be an enchantment wizard that you would have to reflavor as psionic. It sucks when characters can't be converted but you can still try.

I hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post

What are the places: Elf-land. Dwarf-land. Ethnic-stereotype-land(s). And who could forget The Big Chill and Spooky-Underground-Elf-Land?

Necromance if you want to

We can bring your friends to life

But if your friends aren't dead and if they aren't dead then their no friends of mine

5. - Top - End - #5
    Stranger in the Playground Retired Moderator Ventruenox's Avatar

The current incarnation of the 5th Edition Mystic is certainly the place to start, and while a full port is not possible at this time, carrdrivesyou gives some good advice for translation. He also put together a Mystic Guide that's worth a read. Something to keep in mind is that the Mystic's powers are about on par with spells up to 5th level. The flexible casting from the spell point variant system and the concentration bypass for the level 11 nova ability set the Mystic apart from other full casters. Check with your DM if he has any issues or workarounds for the inherent Subtle Casting of Psionic powers. (I worked out a deal with mine that a visible aura shows when manifesting powers.)

Elan does not exist at this time in 5e, unless you start homebrewing. Dandwiki has one, but like much content on that site, it can be pretty broken. Human/vHuman/Gith/Eladrin are viable options.

The Mystic Orders run quite the gamut. While almost infinitely customizable with Disciplines for any build, your choice of Order generally falls in line with other classes for a play style.
    Awakened = Controller/Inquisitor Rogue
    Immortal = Tanky Martial
    Nomad = Utility Bard
    Soul Knife = TWF Striker Martial
    Wu Jen = Blaster Mage

For your character, I think it really depends on the type of campaign that will be presented. Awakened is ideal for social-heavy campaigns, Nomad for exploration, or Avatar/Immortal for combat. My suggestion would be for the Avatar since the passive party buffs are always welcome and the medium armor + shield provides excellent defense without being overly MAD. I strongly suggest reordering your rolled stats. Transpose the Wisdom and Charisma if you want to be more of the party face. Constitution is kept high for concentration saves (or AC if you go Immortal), but can also be swapped if you make regular use of the Strength of Mind class ability.

INT (18) > CON (18) > DEX (16) > WIS (16) > CHA (11) > STR (11)

Order of the Avatar:
    Psychic Assault
    Mantle of Command
    Telepathic Contact
    Nomadic Step
    Adaptive Body
    Talents: Mind Thrust & Delusion
    Feat: Magic Initiate (Cleric) - Guidance, Resistance, Bless

This setup provides amazing versitility and covers a lot of your wish list. Coincidentally, these are some of the most potent Disciplines as well. You can shine as a party leader, you have some AoE, Teleportation capability, and amazingly powerful offensive capabilities that target the rare INT saves. I also suggest taking Psionic Restoration at level 7, since it gets boosted by the level 6 Order feature and can keep your party from a TPK.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

This was my first post here and I don't regret it! You guys are amazing! I spent all last night doing research and I came up with some similar conclusions but your expertise provided me with a wealth of knowledge and things to consider.

I'll post my final build in a bit after more research is done

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Luckily with those rolls I can make a pretty diverse character. So far my concept is that of a Thanos/Darkseid type leader. He's physically strong but rarely uses it, he mostly sits back and works through the party while subtly pulling the strings of the party and the NPCs.

Race: Githyanki
    Stats at level 5:
    STR: 17
    DEX: 16
    CON: 18
    INT: 20
    WIS: 11
    CHA: 11
    HP: 48
    AC: 19 (half plate, shield)

Disciplines:
    Awakened:
    Psychic Assault
    Telepathic Command
    Others:
    Psychic Restoration
    Precognition
    Psychic Inquisition

Talents:
    Mind Thrust
    Blind Spot
    Last edited by Drache64; 2017-12-12 at 06:08 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

I gather you chose Order of the Awakened. Githyanki is a good fit for that.

The AC calculation seems incorrect. Breastplate (14) + Shield (2) + DEX (max 2 for med armor) = 18.

I like that you chose a burly character for roleplaying reasons. But if you are looking to manipulate NPCs, charisma based skill checks are far less resource consuming than 10 minutes of Occluded Mind (Telepathic Contact) or Phantom Idea (Psychic Inquisition) which can't be used till level 7. Design your character as you wish, of course, it just seems like a waste of a good ability score.

One other thing to consider is where your Psychic Focus is going to be. The always on buff granted by your focus is one of the Mystic's strongest (and borderline broken) features. Psychic Assault has a great one with +2 damage for your Mind Thrust. You can even change it mid combat with a bonus action. Some Disciplines are worth taking for the focus alone. Consider how you can best utilize your abilities.
    Last edited by Ventruenox; 2017-12-12 at 05:28 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Thanks! Yeah I did calculate that incorrectly,
    Though the app I used (d20) showed breast plate at 15ac. And I didn't know about Max +2 for medium (still new to 5e)

I used Cha and Wis as dump stats because I don't really need them for anything. I also decided that who needs to be charismatic when you can just have your way with someone's mind. I wouldn't need to over use the ability, just for those clutch moments against the bandit leader or pompous King etc. Thats why I went with psychic Inquisition over Mantle of Awe.

Also I'm worried about taking those attribute scores and making a monster that over powers and out shines the other PCs. If I'm not careful I can try to be the star of the show at every turn, instead I'd like to let others have their fun and then step in when the party needs help.

My point is, if I'm too charismatic the bard feels useless, if I nuke too much the wizard feels less important, if I fight all the time the barbarian, monk, and fighter feel even more redundant. For my friend's sake I'm happy to let them shine.

Eventually I'll get giant growth and beast form to amp my physical stats when I'm feeling over the top. Though for real challenges I'll skip the show and just amp out a max damage psychic attack for like 7d10 or something rediculous at a later level. But this character is more about supporting the rest of the party in their attributes.
    Last edited by Drache64; 2017-12-12 at 05:58 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

I get that. But just because you can overshadow other PCs, doesn't mean that you have to do it yourself. You are the mastermind manipulator, right? Have the other PCs step up and do their thing at your bidding. You don't have to get your hands messy unless they fail. Characters with rolled stats can be monsters regardless.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I shifted my stats for strength,Dex, and con, I also adjusted AC

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'm running past my DM converting Elan to 5e from Pathfinder race.

Ability score: +2 to any attribute
    Psionic talent: +3 PP at level 1
    Bonus Discipline of Adaptive Body

Seems pretty close in my opinion

13. - Top - End - #13

Goblin

I'm running past my DM converting Elan to 5e from Pathfinder race.

Ability score: +2 to any attribute
    Psionic talent: +3 PP at level 1
    Bonus Discipline of Adaptive Body

Seems pretty close in my opinion
    I would absolutely recommend against +3 PP at level one. If you want to give it a talent and some 1/day psychic abilities that’s fine (in the style of Drow or Tiefling racial magic), but blank checks for extra class resources are way out of line with 5e race design. You’re basically giving it nothing else and it’s STILL going to overshadow other players at low levels.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2017-12-12 at 07:46 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Not sure that's a blank check, it's enough to cast 1 low level power. Elans got this in 3.5 and PF so they could pay for their racial abilities

15. - Top - End - #15

Goblin

Not sure that's a blank check, it's enough to cast 1 low level power. Elans got this in 3.5 and PF so they could pay for their racial abilities
    Going by the point progression in the mystic table it’s approximately equivalent to a bonus 2nd level spell slot (but with more flexibility) when other races get specific spells 1/day rather than the ability to just cast extra spells from their known/prepared pool.

To keep in line with this the Elan’s racial abilities should be represented as 1/day uses of specific psion powers that ignore the whole point system, in the same way that the Tiefling can cast Hellish Rebuke and Darkness 1/day without using spell slots.

Like so: https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Tiefling#content
    Last edited by Flashy; 2017-12-12 at 07:57 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

PaladinGuy

Look at the Alert feat. You are welcome :)
    Rule 0: The most IMPORTANT rule of D&D. There is no more important rule than this rule. This is a game, and as such, you do everything you can to ensure everyone has fun. /TheEnd

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

This is my final I'm submitting to my DM, I know others will find the Elan race broken but I think it is the best interpretation to my Pathfinder character and will fit our group. If he vetoes the bonuses I'll ask for the 1/day version of the powers but those won't fit the Elan as close. My favorite thing about the race was the immediate reaction to danger/damage.

DM: you are surprised and take 30 bludgeoning damage
    Me: I pay 15 power points as an immediate action and reduce that damage to zero.

Name: Vile
    Race: Elan
    Class: Awakened Mystic

Str: 16
    Dex: 18
    Con: 18
    Int: 20
    Wis: 11
    Cha: 11

HP: 48
    AC: 18
    (Studded leather, shield)
    PP: 30
    DC: 16
    Attack: +8

Racial Discipline: Adaptive Body

Bonus Disciplines:
    +Psychic Assault
    +Telepathic Command
    Disciplines:
    +Psychic Restoration
    +Precognition
    +Psychic Inquisition
    Talents:
    +Mind Thrust
    +Blind Spot

Future disciplines will be:
    Nomadic step
    Nomadic mind
    Beast form
    Giant growth.

Vile was an Orc shaman that was abducted by the Elan and "purified" into a beautiful looking Elan albeit retaining his racial green skin. Vile is intelligence and savagely cunning. He dreams of returning to his old tribe and ruling them with an iron fist but they reject him for his racial changes and beautiful appearance. Vile dreams of regaining his Savage beginnings and will eventually develop his abilities slightly in that direction to prove he's still the most Savage of his kind (disciplines of giant growth and beast form).

At end levels he develops a god complex and rarely leaves his throne amongst the orc kingdoms considering himself equal or greater than Grummsh. At this point I switch to his second in command and harbinger Gaunt, a psychic gunslinger (Soul knife archetype Soulgun, that's a whole nother thread lol)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Me: I pay 15 power points as an immediate action and reduce that damage to zero.
    What level are you ?
    You'll have a "Psi Limit" that you can use .. typically caps out at 7pp IIRC, at about level 9. At level 1, it's 2 pp (you have 4 total, but can't spend more than 2 with a single power).
    At level 5, you have 27 pp total .. but can only spend 5 on a single power at a time ..
    etc.

So I don't think you could ever spend 15 pp on a single *anything* ..
    that's breaking the rules, and what generally has resulted in people crying "psionics are overpowered!" .. yes they are .. when you don't apply all the rules !! :P
    heh

Check the Mystic chart out in the docs .. it'll tell you what you pp cap is per expenditure ..

[edit]
    also .. even that said, not sure how you're getting to "no damage" ... what power/ability do you think you're using ?

If it's Adaptive Body, Reaction, that would be "Adaptive Shield" .. which only gives REsistance for 3 pp for that turn. That's half damage only, not immunity.
    [/edit]

[edit]
    and as said before, that homebrew Elan race you're using ... as written, is totally broken ... just saying . :P way too strong compared to other races ... *shrug*

[/edit]
    Last edited by The_Ditto; 2017-12-13 at 02:04 PM.
    Laugh at life.
    Laugh until you cry.

19. - Top - End - #19

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Ditto View Post

that's breaking the rules, and what generally has resulted in people crying "psionics are overpowered!" .. yes they are .. when you don't apply all the rules !! :P
    heh

and as said before, that homebrew Elan race you're using ... as written, is totally broken ... just saying . :P way too strong compared to other races ... *shrug*

[/edit]
    I am going to have to echo what The_Ditto is saying here. If your DM allows this, it WILL make your character well beyond the normal versatility curve. Personally, if I were the DM of this group, I would say that a bonus of 3pp would be fair as a naturally occurring psionic race. Sure, makes sense. But just giving you one of the better Disciplines as a bonus at first level is a bit...rough. Even the wizard doesn't have that much versatility until much later levels. Other casters will look at you and cry.

I would say that an extra talent as a racial feature would make much more sense than an entire discipline. Compare it to the High Elf which gets a cantrip (think it has to be from the wizard's list?) for free. Not a bad thing at all. Tieflings get a few spells, but nothing game breaking or anything that throws off the balance of the game. Mostly these are just 1/day abilities that make sense from a thematic view.

If the rules aren't followed, psionics can get overpowered in a hurry. Just be careful not to overshadow the other party members. That could ruin everyone's fun.

In any case, I hope things work out and you and your friends have a lot of fun!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Ditto View Post
    What level are you ?
    You'll have a "Psi Limit" that you can use .. typically caps out at 7pp IIRC, at about level 9. At level 1, it's 2 pp (you have 4 total, but can't spend more than 2 with a single power).
    At level 5, you have 27 pp total .. but can only spend 5 on a single power at a time ..
    etc.

heh

Check the Mystic chart out in the docs .. it'll tell you what you pp cap is per expenditure ..

[edit]
    also .. even that said, not sure how you're getting to "no damage" ... what power/ability do you think you're using ?

If it's Adaptive Body, Reaction, that would be "Adaptive Shield" .. which only gives REsistance for 3 pp for that turn. That's half damage only, not immunity.
    [/edit]

[edit]

[/edit]
    You took my Pathfinder reference as a 5e reference. I was saying that's what I do in Pathfinder using the resilience racial ability at level 15. I was using that as an example to see if 5e had anything similar

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Though completely in Canon, someone recommended a warlock, being new to 5e I never really looked at the warlock. I could fit their lore into my character's story for converting to 5e.

What Canon racial ability gives reaction to damage though? I'm looking through various races and can't find anything that responses very well to avoid damage

22. - Top - End - #22

PaladinGuy

Because there isnt any ability like that.

Your elan race is broken. If your DM allowed it, every player in your game should opt to be Elan. Do what others suggested. Frankly, you are power gaming and cheating. For example, 3.5 elan got -2charisma and no other stat mod. You certainly dont have tha weakness.

The 3.5 Elan is way over powered for 5e. Remember, 5e doesnt have +5 weapons, armor etc
    The Elan race from 3.5: http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/elan

• –2 Charisma: Elans, despite their attempts to blend into the human population, continue to come off as just a little unusual.
    • Aberration: Elans are not subject to spells or effects that affect humanoids only, such as charm person or dominate person.
    • Medium: As Medium creatures, elans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • Elan base land speed is 30 feet.
    • Elans (unlike most aberrations) do not have darkvision.
    • Naturally Psionic: Elans gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.
    • Resistance (Su): Elans can use psionic energy to increase their resistance to various forms of attack. As an immediate action, an elan can spend 1 power point to gain a +4 racial bonus on saving throws until the beginning of her next action.
    • Resilience (Su): When an elan takes damage, she can spend power points to reduce its severity. As an immediate action, she can reduce the damage she is about to take by 2 hit points for every 1 power point she spends.
    • Repletion (Su): An elan can sustain her body without need of food or water. If she spends 1 power point, an elan does not need to eat or drink for 24 hours.
    • Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). Elans’ past lives expose them to wide ranges of language.
    • Favored Class: Psion.
    • Level Adjustment: +0.
    Someone posted this a while back, about making an elan: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-0-suggestions
    Rule 0: The most IMPORTANT rule of D&D. There is no more important rule than this rule. This is a game, and as such, you do everything you can to ensure everyone has fun. /TheEnd

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Easy cheat police, we're off that topic.

Also, not cheating if DM approves it, a player should be able to ask his DM for anything, it's up to the DM to approve or deny it. So stop pointing fingers and enjoy the friendly discussion.

After doing more research it looks like a sorcerer and sorcery points seem to closer match power point system. I'll look into that build.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Wow Goliath has exactly what I was talking about:
    Stone's Endurance: Once per short or long rest, you can use your reaction to reduce damage taken by 1d12 + your Constitution bonus.

Too bad they don't fit my flavor

Half orcs are pretty broken looking too
    Relentless Endurance: Once per long rest, when you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead.
    ((Poor grog))
    Last edited by Drache64; 2017-12-14 at 12:03 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

PaladinGuy

Easy cheat police, we're off that topic.

Also, not cheating if DM approves it, a player should be able to ask his DM for anything, it's up to the DM to approve or deny it. So stop pointing fingers and enjoy the friendly discussion.

After doing more research it looks like a sorcerer and sorcery points seem to closer match power point system. I'll look into that build.
    Sure is, when you only mention the positive stuff, but neglect to mention the weak stuff. When your DM approves something without having the understanding you do, or having all the facts, its cheating.

Its positive you are going to a core class. Once you get experience in 5e, and the substantial power drop from 3.5 (just look at sunblade and holy avenger), you will be better suited to playthe mystic....which is still in play test mode.

People can help you a lot with sorcerer. Get combat casting. Alert is still an awesome feat

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
    Sure is, when you only mention the positive stuff, but neglect to mention the weak stuff. When your DM approves something without having the understanding you do, or having all the facts, its cheating.

Its positive you are going to a core class. Once you get experience in 5e, and the substantial power drop from 3.5 (just look at sunblade and holy avenger), you will be better suited to playthe mystic....which is still in play test mode.

People can help you a lot with sorcerer. Get combat casting. Alert is still an awesome feat
    You're cherry picking my comments to build your case. We switched from 3.5 to Pathfinder, from and now we're going to 5e. If you had bothered to check out Pathfinder before accusing me, you'd see that they don't have a -2 Cha but rather a +2 in any ability score.

Racial Traits
    +2 to one ability score: Elans gain a +2 bonus to one ability score chosen at creation to represent their varied nature.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/elan/

But if you're going to accuse me of power gaming you should realise that I'm a player whose going from a very powerful 3.5 to an even more powerful Pathfinder, to a very Nerfed 5e and missing out on all the cool abilities and options I used in the previous system. I've been learning over the past few days through studying that 5e is just much more limited and they designed players to be much weaker and I'm morning my loss.
    Last edited by Drache64; 2017-12-14 at 12:15 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Goblin

What Canon racial ability gives reaction to damage though? I'm looking through various races and can't find anything that responses very well to avoid damage
    As far as I know there aren't currently any racial abilities that let you reduce damage (beyond blanket resistance but that's not what you're looking for), but there are a couple spells that sorta do what you're looking for.

• The Shield spell lets you use your reaction to add +5 to your AC until the start of your next turn when attacked. It's not subtracting from damage, but it's making you harder to hit.
    • The Absorb Elements spell lets you use a reaction to gain resistance when hit with elemental damage and then deal a d6 of that type on your next attack. It might be more restrictive than what you want?
    • The Blade Ward cantrip lets you gain reaction to mundane damage until your next turn, though it's an action instead of a reaction.

And if those don't work as a baseline I'd personally say that a racial ability which lets you use your reaction to either gain one-off resistance or subtract some amount from received damage when hit with an attack (say 2d6?) on a short rest recharge (or like 3/long rest?) is completely reasonable even if it doesn't already exist. You might have to tweak the numbers if the specifics don't work well in actual play but there's nothing wrong with it conceptually.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2017-12-14 at 01:05 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    As far as I know there aren't currently any racial abilities that let you reduce damage (beyond blanket resistance but that's not what you're looking for), but there are a couple spells that sorta do what you're looking for.

• The Shield spell lets you use your reaction to add +5 to your AC until the start of your next turn when attacked. It's not subtracting from damage, but it's making you harder to hit.
    • The Absorb Elements spell lets you use a reaction to gain resistance when hit with elemental damage and then deal a d6 of that type on your next attack. It might be more restrictive than what you want?
    • The Blade Ward cantrip lets you gain reaction to mundane damage until your next turn, though it's an action instead of a reaction.

And if those don't work as a baseline I'd personally say that a racial ability which lets you use your reaction to either gain one-off resistance or subtract some amount from received damage when hit with an attack (say 2d6?) on a short rest recharge (or like 3/long rest?) is completely reasonable even if it doesn't already exist. You might have to tweak the numbers if the specifics don't work well in actual play but there's nothing wrong with it conceptually.
    Thanks! The Goliath ability to damage soak seemed very close to a 5e Elan resilience.

I think the Elan were broken as a race which is why when I found them I never moved away from them, even in 3.5e with their-2 Cha they were far worth it . The bonus Power points and survivability made them key for me especially when the DM I had originally hated Psionics and would constantly surprise my character with horrible things to try and kill him. I was treated to surprise rounds from things such as cloakers, goblins with potently poisoned arrows, mind flayers and vampires.

29. - Top - End - #29

PaladinGuy

You're cherry picking my comments to build your case. We switched from 3.5 to Pathfinder, from and now we're going to 5e. If you had bothered to check out Pathfinder before accusing me, you'd see that they don't have a -2 Cha but rather a +2 in any ability score.

Racial Traits
    +2 to one ability score: Elans gain a +2 bonus to one ability score chosen at creation to represent their varied nature.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/elan/

But if you're going to accuse me of power gaming you should realise that I'm a player whose going from a very powerful 3.5 to an even more powerful Pathfinder, to a very Nerfed 5e and missing out on all the cool abilities and options I used in the previous system. I've been learning over the past few days through studying that 5e is just much more limited and they designed players to be much weaker and I'm morning my loss.
    I didnt need to cherry pick comments. Once seeing your stats and all of the abilities, i thought you neglected to mention +EL for powerful races, then dug out my psionics handbook to confirm that. You didnt neglect the EL, just the -2 charisma . Are you converting 3.5, or pf? Cause 3.5 elan is -2 charisma from psionics handbook. But if you want more. You are giving yourself a free discipline, while psionics unleashed gave a psionic talent. Psionics unleashed also requires elans to take -1 penalty to all charisma checks that dont deal with elans

And bud....you munchinked out your PF psion by using Psionics Unleashed, a 3rd party splat book that is not WOTC. Heck, its not even made by PAIZO. Its made by some company that took a power system, and broke it. Heck....i was in a 10 year pathfinder campaign. We could use any splat book, limited to official wotc only...because the rest were way too broken. One of the splat books i saw had a falchion type weapon....x4 crit, 18 to 20 threat range. I would have been embarassed to suggest that to my dm

Look at your last paragraph. This is the answer. You are trying to recreate a PF character, using unofficial books, into 5e without downgrading. 5e is a much smaller power curve. Even the enemies are weaker than other editions. Its OK, you can have fun. My vanilla, human paladin simply destroys enemies. But if you cant handle 5e, go back to PF.

Lastly, if you go caster, take war caster feat. Alert is just all sorts of goodness, as well

30. - Top - End - #30

Goblin

Thanks! The Goliath ability to damage soak seemed very close to a 5e Elan resilience.

I think the Elan were broken as a race which is why when I found them I never moved away from them, even in 3.5e with their-2 Cha they were far worth it . The bonus Power points and survivability made them key for me especially when the DM I had originally hated Psionics and would constantly surprise my character with horrible things to try and kill him. I was treated to surprise rounds from things such as cloakers, goblins with potently poisoned arrows, mind flayers and vampires.
    To be honest I completely forgot that the Goliaths had that ability. Directly porting that should be totally fine if that fits the concept you're looking for.