New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Exalted Feats and Evil Spells?

If you cast a spell with an Evil Descriptor, do you lose all exalted feats irrevocably?

I've been clawing through BoED, and the exact language says "A character who willingly and willfully commits an evil act loses all benefits from all his exalted feats."

Is casting evil spells an evil act? Even if it is used for good? I know real world logic says I'm good but how about d&d logic?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Exalted Feats and Evil Spells?

D&D Logic? I think so.

That being said, ask your DM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

It's commonly accepted that casting an [evil] spell is an evil act. After a brief search, I can't find any rules text backing this up other than:
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Vile Darkness p77
    Tapping into evil power is an evil act in and of itself, no matter what the effects or the reason for using the power might be.
    Given that quote, yes, as soon as you cast an [evil] spell you cease to be Exalted and lose the benefits of all your [exalted] feats forever.

EDIT: Psyren is absolutely right!
    Last edited by Malimar; 2017-12-12 at 11:14 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by magicalmagicman View Post
    If you cast a spell with an Evil Descriptor, do you lose all exalted feats irrevocably?
    Technically no! As your own quote demonstrates, you simply lose the benefits of the feats. You do get to keep the feats themselves
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Technically no! As your own quote demonstrates, you simply lose the benefits of the feats. You do get to keep the feats themselves
    Wait, does that mean that you keep any drawbacks of the feats? Huh. That’s kind of an unusual punishment. But totally what I’d expect out of the Book of Exalted Darkness Deeds.

At least Tem-Et-Nu just sends an infalliable interdimensional hippo to chomp on you.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

Do any of them have actual drawbacks? Besides "stay good or else" I mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Possibly Nymph's Kiss, depending on how much of a drawback it is to provide the DM with an easy kidnapping target.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by magicalmagicman View Post

I've been clawing through BoED, and the exact language says "A character who willingly and willfully commits an evil act loses all benefits from all his exalted feats."

Is casting evil spells an evil act? Even if it is used for good? I know real world logic says I'm good but how about d&d logic?
    Yes, it is. It's a minor evil act, but still an evil act.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Malconvoker's Unrestricted Conjuration feature would get around it, but only for conjuration spells

Unrestricted Conjuration: For the purpose only of casting conjuration spells, you can ignore any restrictions that forbid you from casting spells of certain alignments. In addition, regular use of conjuration spells with the evil descriptor does not threaten to change your alignment. For example, a good cleric who becomes a malconvoker could cast summon monster I to summon a fiendish raven (whose alignment gives the spell the evil descriptor). The cleric could not cast death knell, though, which has the evil descriptor but is not of the conjuration school.
    bolded for emphasis

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    It's commonly accepted that casting an [evil] spell is an evil act. After a brief search, I can't find any rules text backing this up other than:

Given that quote, yes, as soon as you cast an [evil] spell you cease to be Exalted and lose the benefits of all your [exalted] feats forever.
    Not forever - only until you atone enough to become "Exalted" again. Unless the feat, in its own text, specifies "forever".

The Saint PRC has a "cannot take levels in, if you've lost Exalted feats through doing evil, even if you get them back again" rule - which implies that "ordinary" exalted feats, can be gotten back.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

what if you use sanctify spell on the evil spell first? making it an [evil][good] spell.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    what if you use sanctify spell on the evil spell first? making it an [evil][good] spell.
    I was under the impression "May not be used on spells with the [evil] descriptor" was included in the feat description.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I was under the impression "May not be used on spells with the [evil] descriptor" was included in the feat description.
    Both purify spell and consecrate spell have nothing like that.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet06320 View Post
    Malconvoker's Unrestricted Conjuration feature would get around it, but only for conjuration spells

bolded for emphasis
    Actually, that only removes restrictions, not consequences. A good cleric couldn't cast an evil spell even if they wanted to, but malconvoker removes that restriction. It also prevents your alignment from changing due to repeated castings of evil spells, but again, doing so is still an evil act, and thus the consequences would be the loss of all exalted feats.

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    It still has the evil descriptor, which makes casting it an evil act.
    Last edited by Crake; 2017-12-13 at 12:09 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I think the main takeaway is that Exalted status is not an alignment. You can lose Exalted status by committing an evil act, while still retaining Good alignment. Normally repeated use of [Evil] spells threatens to change your alignment as well as losing Exalted status. Malconvoker's wording prevents the alignment change, but doesn't prevent loss of Exalted status.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

fair point, about the wording there, only the restrictions not consequences