New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Warlock AC opinions 5e

Quote Originally Posted by samcifer View Post
    Won't work. His strength is far too low for heavy armor. He'd be better off asking his dm if he could swap his WIS and DEX stats.
    It works, but he would be slow. Having proficiency but not enough strength only drops your speed by 10 feet. Nothing else.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-12-14 at 08:29 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Won't work. His strength is far too low for heavy armor. He'd be better off asking his dm if he could swap his WIS and DEX stats.
    Ah good point, forgot the strengh prerequisite.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    It works, but he would be slow. Having proficiency but not enough strength only drops your speed by 10 feet. Nothing else.
    Well, with an 8 strengh, you still can't lift much, and a full plate would proabably be too much anyway.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sirithhyando View Post
    Ah good point, forgot the strengh prerequisite.

Well, with an 8 strengh, you still can't lift much, and a full plate would proabably be too much anyway.
    Excuse me while I lift up my glasses and be a bit pedantic for a while. Strength 8 means you have a carrying capacity of 120 (8 x 15) lb. and a plate armor weighs "only" 65 lb.

Also, Encumbrance is a variant rule (on page 176, PHB), and as such not in use in every table. So unless your DM uses that variant, I wouldn't sweat it that much. And even if DM did use it, note that Encumbrance Variant says this: "When you use this variant, ignore the Strength column of the Armor table in chapter 5".
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-12-14 at 10:43 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Oh, okay then. Didn't know that rule. I had assumed a minimum strength score was required to have proficiency.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Oh, okay then. Didn't know that rule. I had assumed a minimum strength score was required to have proficiency.
    Nope. Although, it sounds like a decent house rule to me
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis_Elrod View Post
    Gonna be honest here. You kind of dig yourself in a whole AC wise. I don’t want to offfend your or anything but your choices have left me befuddled. You could always just choose insight as a skill to detect lies, no need to develop that part of your character so much in your stats. I wouldn’t make someone not wearing heavy armor have less than 14 dex.

I would remake your character a bit. But if you don’t feel like you need to a cleric dip should give you medium armor possibly heavy (though I think you need more str for that). If that’s not what you want then make armor with some temp hp and standing really far away might be your best bet.
    I’m focusing more on a role play aspect with this character than anything and the AC stuff is so that my character doesn’t die right away since I kinda like his concept so far haha.

The reason I have his wisdom and charisma so high is because of his background of having to deal with people as a noble for the majority of his life and so I felt he would be very good at it. Plus, he is an old man so I didn’t think his physical stats would be that high either. Also Char is the spell stuff for Warlocks and I’m going to need that to do cool magic and stuff.

He is prodicient in:
    Insight
    Deception
    Persuasion
    History
    Investigation (+7 due to feat)

His passive perception is 18 to help cover the issues of running into traps or stuff also.

I’m focusing on him being a role play heavy and supportish character more than anything really.

Quote Originally Posted by Aett_Thorn View Post
    May I ask why you put a +1 to Con as part of your racial stats, and not +1 to Dex. Going from 12 to 13 for Con gets you nothing. Going from 11 to 12 Dex gets you +1 AC, and +1 to initiative.
    That’s a great point that I didn’t think of! I’ll remake his stats that way. I was thinking 13 Con would boost his health but forgot that 13 is just +1 not +2 when I first made him.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zorahai View Post
    I did the point buy system and had 27 to start.

Char: 15 +1 (racial bonus)
    Wis: 15 +1 (observant feat)
    Con: 12 +1 (racial bonus)
    Dex: 11
    Int: 11
    Str: 8

I’m choosing the higher wisdom as it didn’t make sense to me that a noble wouldn’t be good at figuring out lies after his years of experience. Plus, since he is an old man, his physical state has naturally gone down a bit so his Str and Dex would be lower. He is a human after all.

Plus, I wanted to make him a bit mischievous so Wisdom compliments Charisma in that department.
    I think it's great that you decided to think about who this character is and then assigned stats accordingly.

I don't think you need to swap stats at all.

Have fun!