Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 5E] Ergo Ad Nauseum OOC

Well, Jade is outside of town. Whether she looked back to make sure she was followed by her comrades is another matter.

In all seriousness, if your part of the group has nothing else in town they want to interact with (any other goods, tools, items, hired men, etc), then say so here and I'll begin the party's travels.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

I keep forgetting movement is independent of action this edition and I could have done a skirmish-style thing like Erith. Ah well, i'll stick with my Dodge.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'm Bubbles View Post
    Well, Jade is outside of town. Whether she looked back to make sure she was followed by her comrades is another matter.

In all seriousness, if your part of the group has nothing else in town they want to interact with (any other goods, tools, items, hired men, etc), then say so here and I'll begin the party's travels.
    I am ready to go on adventures!
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by flatfooted View Post
    Nice to know you're consistently homicidal, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Xihirli's ability to stay alive has befuddled all of science for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceseer View Post
    I really wanted what Xihirli said to be true though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    That was a lot of awesome backstabbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thematthew View Post
    I love you, you kooky loon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duneyrr View Post
    אין שום דבר פסול עם דיון טוב

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I have no idea how you could possibly have convinced anyone, living or not, witch or not, to for a single second doubt that you were scum. It's scary.
    Theme song Vesth made for me.
    My overly long signature

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey Ilven - do you want to heal yourself, or I can help you out a little. Happy to coordinate our pool of healing.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    Hey Ilven - do you want to heal yourself, or I can help you out a little. Happy to coordinate our pool of healing.
    Do we want to go prayer of healing and take ten minutes or head forward is my consideration.

Also. Should Liz mutliclass for healing spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.
    Playing Atheist England in GMR 12, Playing Siam in GMR 14, Playing as China in GMR 15, Playing as Dutch in GMR 16

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Firbolg in the Playground

Perception check to hear what the voice said.
    Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+3)[6]

EDIT: Darn, there goes my plan of using Disguise Self to pretend to be a Zombie following the orders to retreat.
    Last edited by Nettlekid; 2018-01-04 at 10:57 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

If you want to do the prayer, that's fine. I think it would fill us both up and save my Lay on Hands for later.

Could even prep an ambush while you do it. downside is there's no guarantee we won't be interrupted before the spell is done.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    If you want to do the prayer, that's fine. I think it would fill us both up and save my Lay on Hands for later.

Could even prep an ambush while you do it. downside is there's no guarantee we won't be interrupted before the spell is done.
    Erith already started heading towards the door, so we really don't have ten minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.
    Playing Atheist England in GMR 12, Playing Siam in GMR 14, Playing as China in GMR 15, Playing as Dutch in GMR 16

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Noted. At least I have plenty of spell slots left

11. - Top - End - #131

...Can all birds speak to all other birds?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

Unlike some portrayals in fantasy, animals of different species generally don't share what passes as a language in this game. The buzzard is not speaking, but appears to be acting more like a megaphone or radio receiver.
    Last edited by Cap'm Bubbles; 2018-01-04 at 04:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133

I was considering getting the owl out, telepathically communicating with it, it speaks to the buzzard, and the buzzard telepathically communicates the birdspeak to its owner. It would be a bit farcical, wouldn't it?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hey guys! Sorry, never checked the OOC thread, just kept looking at the IC thread to see if there was a storyline update to respond to. My bad! ^_^;

But yeah, ready to go off on an adventure and punch things!

15. - Top - End - #135

Does the big iron door have any kind of keyhole or bars or crack at the bottom through which Erith can peek? Alternatively, when Find Familiar states that I can summon your familiar into any unoccupied space within 30 feet of me, must I have line of sight/effect to that space?

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

The although the door does seem to have a tiny bit of space between the frame and the door itself at the bottom, light is not coming through it. In fact, it would appear that some object the width of the door is put in place there on the other side. The hinges are on the other side as well (opens into the room).

As for find familiar: yes you can, but with one caveat. If you try to summon it in a location you cannot see which happens to be occupied by another creature, object, or solid structure/environment, then the attempt fizzles out and fails. Fortunately, trial and error is an option, as the summoning costs no resources like spell slots or materials.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually Find Familiar has a material components cost of "10 gp worth of charcoal, incense, and herbs that must be consumed by fire in a brass brazier". Though I don't recall there being specific rules for rituals failing and it's likely totally up to the GM to say whether or not a failed ritual consumes material components or not. And of course it's always in the GM's purview to declare a spell has different costs (and few players are going to argue with reduced cost or free).

I have no idea how you could possibly have convinced anyone, living or not, witch or not, to for a single second doubt that you were scum. It's scary.
    My overly long signature

18. - Top - End - #138

DrowGirl

Those are spell components but they're not marked as being consumed. It's a one-time cost as far as I'm aware.
    Show
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.

19. - Top - End - #139

...Guys, you're both wrong. Xihirli, the 10 gp of reagents used in the initial casting of Find Familiar are consumed. Ramsus, while there is a cost to the initial casting of the Find Familiar spell, Find Familiar allows the owner of the familiar to use an action to at will store their familiar in a pocket dimension or retrieve it from that same dimension, summoning it to a space within 30 feet of them. My question, which Cap'm Bubbles understood perfectly well (presumably because they read the spell text,) was whether that "retrieval" summoning required line of sight to the destination square.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's my fault for poorly wording my response, and I need to take more care about that. Most of my word choice is quite deliberate, allowing players and/or characters to make valid assumptions based on them (i.e. the difference between me saying "you sense/see no trap" and "there is no trap").

I was aware that the initial summoning ritual had been cast prior to the day's events by Erith, as his familiar had been used to scout the outside of the tower. My statements were meant to address the pocket-dimension banishment/resummon function in the spell description, but my post makes it sound like I'm saying "Find Familiar" has no material components.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Well that's what I get for not reading along with the parts of the game I'm not involved in. Whoops. Kinda hard to grasp the full context that way. But on the other hand it's easier to not get confused about what I do and don't know IC. (Which rather than what you might expect I'd do that for, is mostly for the benefit of RP. So that I don't skip over introductions or interactions my own character would have to things that someone may have previously reacted to, possibly in a different way. Though multiple people reacting to character traits the exact same way is also funny.)

My overly long signature

22. - Top - End - #142

DrowGirl

Okay we're probably fighting bandits. I'm thinking Kal and Valanthe can stealth while Jade draws their attention and makes sure these people are actually bandits and not just people playing hide-and-seek, and Kal/Valanthe can start a surprise round whenever they think it's appropriate.

EDIT:
    So here's what I'm planning on putting in IC. If Valanthe would grab Jade and whisper a different plan or something, or comes up with a different plan faster than Jade, either could change how this goes. Any issues?

Spoiler: Plan
    Show
    Jade motions for the others to hide and gives them time to do so before walking directly toward the two burly men not attempting to hide. She takes a slow pace toward the suspicious people, hoping to give her party plenty of time to stealthily move into their proper positions, until she nears them. She even tries to whistle a bit as she walks, unsuccessfully.
    "Hello. I..." Jade gestures to herself with her empty hand, in case these people were too stupid to understand what "I" meant.
    "Am Jade." The goblin then flashes her winning smile, expecting to win them over.
    "So what are the two of you building here?" Jade asks, trying very hard not to bring up the poorly concealed (probable) bandits.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2018-01-05 at 11:37 PM.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

I have one issue. And it's not with the plan. Which is a good plan.
    The issue is.... where is Inuyen in this? With Jade? With us? Hanging back out of sight but in range of her longer range spells so she can support us if **** goes down, but isn't being relied upon to succeed a stealth check? (Because seriously, the fewer people making Stealth check the more likely you are to succeed. Because yay for the extreme imbalance between Stealth and Perception as group activities. This is just me bitching about nothing. I don't have a fix for this issue and every one I've heard is just breaking something else and likely causing worse problems.)

My overly long signature

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

She's on her pony at about the listed distance. As a pyromancer in a light wooded forest full of kindling, and with no reported combat experience, she will defer to the group. Her stealth skill is adequate as far as I recall. And, she's prefer not to be in punching distance of people twice her height.

As for NPC party members, I don't roll or use their passives skills separately unless you want them to act alone. If your group wants to stealth and you want her to follow suit, I will base her success on the group members that stealth (if you succeed, she does automatically; if you fail, then so does she). If you tell an NPC to scout ahead alone, then I will use their own score.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, that's a handy rule. I like it.

In that case I'd like her following along with the stealth team, but some distance behind us so she's not in immediate risk of melee but also not just sorta sitting out in the open if things go bad with Jade and they have ranged weapons and can't see the rest of us.

Edit: @Anoriand: So you're not going to do stealth stuff with me?
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2018-01-06 at 01:36 PM.

My overly long signature

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here's what I've got for a grid for you guys (editable).

I have all actors placed except Valanthe and Inuyen, who sound like they're going to try the stealthy approach. I ask Ramsus to place Valanthe and Inuyen in appropriate locations on this grid, and for a stealth check for Valanthe.

If successful on your single stealth check (High DC 15, low DC 10), then the following actors would go on a surprise round (baring some very unexpected thing by Kaliyaros or Jade) if and only if they are the ones to initiate combat: Valanthe, Inuyen, and the bandit Scout. If not, no real harm done, as you are aware of all enemy combatants already. Barring a miserable failure at stealth, an adequate stealth roll will be sufficient to hide from all bandits except the scout, which means advantage on your first attack roll of combat anyway.

27. - Top - End - #147

DrowGirl

Am I considered as engaged with Bugsy at this distance?
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Stealth: (1d20+7)[24]
    Edit: Well gee. I don't think they notice me. I guess I'll just declare I'm literally standing in Bandit 3's shadow since with that roll I can get away with it.

Ok I've placed Valanthe and Inuyen. While Inuyen is close to Bandit 3, he can't get to her without provoking an attack of opportunity from Valanthe and this positioning gives Inuyen possible sight lines and hiding places and a good amount of distance from everyone else.

Also you might notice I did some conditional formatting for people's names. Now you can just type in a PC's (or Inuyen's) name and it'll appear their color. I just kind of went for pink for Inuyen since red is taken and yellow is blinding (and non-blinding versions are also taken). I just went and did it for everyone so the map can be used as the default battle map or the GM can just copy-paste the conditional formatting if they make new maps.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2018-01-06 at 05:31 PM.

My overly long signature

29. - Top - End - #149

I think that first "Erith" should be "Elizabeth," since she was the only one who spoke.

Arcana Check: (1d20+7)[20]

The unloaded ballista, are there any bolts visible nearby it?

What's behind the big iron door that's blocking light from getting out under the crack at the bottom?

And I've somewhat lost track of where everything is - where is the surrendering Zombie and the buzzard? I had it in my mind that from the room that you had depicted on the map there was a hallway heading north, which turned right toward the east, and at the end of that hallway was a 20 foot wide stairwell which raised into a 5 foot stairwell (what happened to the rest of it? Did the hallway narrow?) and then the door is at the top of that. Are the Zombie and buzzard at least out of Erith's sight?

What's the lighting like in all these rooms, incidentally? You mentioned the Orc's sphere is glowing - how much does that illuminate? The owl's going to try to stay around 90 feet away if at all possible, knowing that it can see through the dark to that range but most Humanoids cannot.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Xihirli
    If that crime-shaming wasn't engaged, then I don't really know what is. I think I'm really going to enjoy Jade's attitude towards antagonists to the party.

@Ramsus
    Thank you for that. I hadn't thought of it, but the colored names can really help stand out on these grids. The scout is visibly sweating now that she's lost sight but not awareness of half the party. Bandit three just can't catch a break in life, and is none the wiser while watching the spectacle with the goblin chewing out his boss.

@Nettlekid
    Thank's for catching my missed name.
    There are two racks, one on each side of the wall, that hold 4 bolts each.
    The zombie and buzzard have moved past Erith, and are now at (F3)
    My description of the path beyond the north hallway may have been jumbled. I've added a coda to the right of the main map to try and correct that.
    The object obstructing the view under the door: a towel--a very nice purple towel.
    The room is lit by pairs of torch sconces at each door, including the door the familiar is at. The ambient light would be red (rather than typical orange-yellow-white) in most of the room, but the blue light from the orb tints the nearby lighting to blue for about five feet around it.
    The octagonal room has about 60 feet between parallel sides. The orc is about ten feet from his closest wall, roughly 15-20 feet from the doorway the owl is at.