New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Why won't my computer(windows 10) stop trying to do some freaky update?

Sorry. I have calmed down. I guess... I just got nervous due to hearing about stuff like random updates back when windows 10 first came out deleting all data on your computer and weird stuff, so I got it into my head that updates were bad. I just... I need to remember that even if it's a massive company, Microsoft is still company, and if they often delete everyone's data, no one would buy their stuff anymore.
    I kind of wish I'd just realized that sooner rather than making a weird thread here(and bothering a friend of mine on skype about it too >_<).
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Why won't my computer(windows 10) stop trying to do some freaky update?

Do note that the major windows updates, not the monthly patch but significat updates, tend to wipe out restore points and other windows system based backups. This is because they include a full reinstall of the OS. Why that needs to nuke backups is beyond me, but it does.

In a commercial/industry setting it is sometimes useful to delay, skip, or avoid updates on business critical systems. Sometimes the changes the updates make can break software or introduce bugs. But businesses often have more resources to dedicate towards professional level security too.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    In addition, remember the kerfuffle around dropping support for Windows XP? Dropping support for an old OS isn't something that happens immediately after the release of a new version (yet), thankfully. It's a relatively big deal that tends to get a decent amount of attention in the media.
    It never was something that happened immediately after the release of a new version--Microsoft's usual policy up until Windows 10 was "support for an OS ends after the release of the one *following* the next release", so Windows XP didn't end support until Windows 7 came out because Vista was in between the two of them. The problem was, not many people liked Vista and really didn't want to upgrade to it, plus there was an unusually long gap in between OS releases, so XP hung around far longer than it ever should have done.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

For a while now, since my laptop was upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8, some of the updates have failed. So, of course, they would continue to retry the updates several times a day, without success. A couple of weeks ago, this new Creator's upgrade came in, and failed. Again, it continued to retry several times a day, eating a good chunk out of my bandwidth. This morning, to my great surprise, the upgrade actually succeeded.

I suppose somebody must have taken this upgrade seriously enough to make it work.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Sorry. I have calmed down. I guess... I just got nervous due to hearing about stuff like random updates back when windows 10 first came out deleting all data on your computer and weird stuff, so I got it into my head that updates were bad. I just... I need to remember that even if it's a massive company, Microsoft is still company, and if they often delete everyone's data, no one would buy their stuff anymore.
    I kind of wish I'd just realized that sooner rather than making a weird thread here(and bothering a friend of mine on skype about it too >_<).
    If you have data that is important, back it up. Hardware failures, malware, and just plain accidental deletion do happen. Backups prevent data loss from all of those sources.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It never was something that happened immediately after the release of a new version--Microsoft's usual policy up until Windows 10 was "support for an OS ends after the release of the one *following* the next release", so Windows XP didn't end support until Windows 7 came out because Vista was in between the two of them. The problem was, not many people liked Vista and really didn't want to upgrade to it, plus there was an unusually long gap in between OS releases, so XP hung around far longer than it ever should have done.
    Why should it have ended? I use 7 now, but I held onto XP for a decade and still miss it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

The same reason nobody's using Model T Fords for daily commutes anymore. XP was first released in early 2001. That was almost 17 years ago - an eterinity in computer terms. Forget security (a huge problem with a core that old) for a moment - it was incredibly inefficient by modern standards, and bolting on support for newer technologies would have resulted in a clunky, unwieldy mess, just like happened when the same sort of bolting-on was applied to the Windows 9x core to produce Windows ME.

Continuing to use XP (or 98, or DOS) in an air-gapped legacy system is perfectly fine. Trying to use it as a general-purpose OS is a poor idea.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Out of couriosity, what is the reason for that?
    There's a much higher chance of having your computer rendered unusable by an update than by a virus. At least as long as you don't do something stupid open random email attachments or click on web-based advertisements or not have an antivirus suite or download random crap from shady websites.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-12-28 at 12:20 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    You're grossly underestimating people's ability to hate Apple and not understand Linux. I don't even know how to get a Linux machine. Nothing comes with it preinstalled. If it did I'd never buy a windows machine again. Ever. And my last three computers would have been Linux based.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-12-28 at 12:24 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    There's no benefits to be had by trying to avoid the updates.
    Updates have the potential to break Classic Shell and consequently render my computer functunally unusable

Omegaupdate Forum

11. - Top - End - #41

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Nothing comes with it preinstalled.
    If you genuinely believe that you haven't been looking hard enough. Heck, even Dell will sell you a machine with Linux pre-loaded--see the one on the left on this page:

http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/lapto...13-9360-laptop

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

You're grossly underestimating people's ability to hate not be able to afford Apple and not understand Linux.
    FTFY. (Fully agree on Linux, I suspect I would make it through half a day before encountering the issue that would eventually get me to give up. I'm just tech savvy enough to be annoyed at Windows hiding basic system options like being able to see and change the extension of a file easily, but nothing more than that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Windows 7 "extended" support (security patches only, no feature updates) extends until 2020. Mainstream support (security and feature updates) extends until January 2018, with extended support extending until 2023.
    Which is important for corporate clients at least. Large companies like to have everyone working on the same system, and ones they have it set up like they want they want to go a few years before changing.

Governments and militaries are even worse, they have a bunch of stand alone systems that don't really need to work with anything else, like say the control software of a power plant (which I guess typically belongs to a company, so there goes my argument), so they're not updated ever. We'd probably be surprised by how many nuclear launch installations still operate on pre-DOS systems. Those systems are perfectly secure as long as nobody manages to connect them to anything. (And even when they do get connected to some other system, the attack would need to be specifically tailored to work on the really old system, if you wait long enough you start getting harder to hack again.)

But yes, for the standard home user of Windows 10 begrudgingly allowing updates every now and then (as well as immediately after reading a news article on a large ongoing attack for which a patch has just become available, preferably) is probably the best option.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Windows hiding basic system options like being able to see and change the extension of a file easily
    Have you tried: File Explorer -> View -> File name extensions?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rdecai[QC] View Post
    Have you tried: File Explorer -> View -> File name extensions?
    O, there are several workarounds (and thanks for the tip on another one), in many cases copying the contents through wordpad and saving the result as the right file works for instance. I just always feel so stupid when after half an hour of puzzling I realize that my name.ext is actually named name.ext.txt, and I should have knows that by looking at the icon. It's one of those small things that annoy me because someone tried to make the computer more user friendly by treating the user as an idiot, and it doesn't work for me. It's not so much that Windows 10 isn't a better thing than say 98 ever was, because it is, it's that among all the improvements sometimes you find a thing where someone seemingly put in extra work to make a certain part dumber.

15. - Top - End - #45

it's that among all the improvements sometimes you find a thing where someone seemingly put in extra work to make a certain part dumber.
    It seems like they have some kind of rule that for every under the hood improvement thare has to be a corresponding debasement to the interface. It's gotten to the point where I am dependent on programs like Classic Shell and Winaero Ribbon Disabler just to make my computer usable. If an under the hood change breaks one of those programs, it breaks my entire computer.

Omegaupdate Forum

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

O, there are several workarounds (and thanks for the tip on another one), in many cases copying the contents through wordpad and saving the result as the right file works for instance. I just always feel so stupid when after half an hour of puzzling I realize that my name.ext is actually named name.ext.txt, and I should have knows that by looking at the icon. It's one of those small things that annoy me because someone tried to make the computer more user friendly by treating the user as an idiot, and it doesn't work for me. It's not so much that Windows 10 isn't a better thing than say 98 ever was, because it is, it's that among all the improvements sometimes you find a thing where someone seemingly put in extra work to make a certain part dumber.
    That's not at all a "workaround". You switch the setting once and that's it. I do it every time I set up a new Windows PC for myself. It's not even a Windows 10 thing - this has been the default setting since Windows XP. Have you genuinely never caught on to this before?

The very real reason why Windows treats the default user like they don't know the first thing about computers is that the default user doesn't know the first thing about computers, nor cares to learn. It's bound to get worse, too, since many young users are being trained on tablets and mobile phones, which are even more handholdy and have even more features hidden for no reason, or inexplicably absent.

I'm not defending any and all design decisions made for Windows 10; there's plenty to get annoyed about. This is just a very bad example.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

17. - Top - End - #47

BlackDragon

Yeah, I agree with Silfir--the "hide file extensions for known file types" thing has been the default setting since Windows XP came out, and I learned a long time ago to switch it off ASAP.

18. - Top - End - #48

I agree as well; that one's not particularly new or hard to change

Omegaupdate Forum

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    The very real reason why Windows treats the default user like they don't know the first thing about computers is that the default user doesn't know the first thing about computers, nor cares to learn. It's bound to get worse, too, since many young users are being trained on tablets and mobile phones, which are even more handholdy and have even more features hidden for no reason, or inexplicably absent.
    I despise mobile interfaces, operating systems, and apps. The greatest thing about Windows 10 is that it gives you the opportunity to run real programs on your tablet and the fact that you can, for the time being, pretty easily replace the tablet's default interface using Classic Shell.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-12-28 at 07:07 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I despise mobile interfaces, operating systems, and apps. The greatest thing about Windows 10 is that it gives you the opportunity to run real programs on your tablet and the fact that you can, for the time being, pretty easily replace the tablet's default interface using Classic Shell.
    Or dual boot android. Except that running Win10 it keeps charge in the battery for months, that Android loses in days. Maybe I should be learning Android for when it's running.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2017-12-28 at 10:40 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If it's specifically Tablet Mode that you want to get rid of, open Settings -> System -> Tablet Mode and change the "When I sign in" setting to "Use desktop mode" and the "When this device automatically switches tablet mode on or off" to "Don't ask and don't switch". That way, the system should use desktop mode by default.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    If it's specifically Tablet Mode that you want to get rid of, open Settings -> System -> Tablet Mode and change the "When I sign in" setting to "Use desktop mode" and the "When this device automatically switches tablet mode on or off" to "Don't ask and don't switch". That way, the system should use desktop mode by default.
    Am curious by this tablet mode problem.

I have Windows 10 (originally Win8) Surface 3 Pro tablet and it has never actually been in a tablet mode by default. I've given it a whirl now and then and admittedly the gyroscope makes the thing go wonky if I flip it around excessively. But if I lock it down it won't change as you say. And my desktop doesn't get flipped around and has never made any attempt at a tablet mode what so ever.

I can't really speak out on the earlier brought up I guess issues with changes to the start menu. Some of that bothered me at first, but I learned to adapt to the new one easily. It has it's charms and frankly the [insert whatever favourite you have] change of style bothered me more. It's something like the 6th differnt way they do it and they all had pros and cons. Now wnat to talk about messed up interface, I give you: Office 365/2016, w.t.f. I thought I hated "the Ribbon", but man the Ribbon is like a gentle mother's kiss compared to the face punch that the new office interface has. I'm seriously thikning the free alternatives but they all suck so hard whenever I try them it drive sme nuts.
    But I also find I have little cause to open the Startmenu at all. At one point the calender on the start menu was several days wrong since I hadn't had the menu open for long enough for it to swap the days over.

My biggest gripe with windows 10 interface? No analogue style clock. I've missed that one since about Vista. Maybe there's an app for that in classic shell?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Have you genuinely never caught on to this before?
    Which part of
    I'm just tech savvy enough to be annoyed at Windows hiding basic system options like being able to see and change the extension of a file easily, but nothing more than that.
    can I clarify a little more?

As I said, I know just enough to know there's a thing it won't let me do. Sometimes I then google the thing, try to find how it's called in Dutch, find out it only works on the professional version (like say XP mode on Windows 7, I eventually managed to fix my old but not DOS-old programs problem by patiently waiting for Windows 10, which is much more backwards compatible, so that's nice), google something else and spend way more time on it than I would have liked, because as I said, I don't know enough about computers and I don't like managing Windows. Sometimes I just leave it as is and complain about it online. In an alternate universe I figured this one out but was complaining about not seeing hidden system folders instead of this way around.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Yes but it will still use the mobile based metro start menu

Omegaupdate Forum

25. - Top - End - #55

Now wnat to talk about messed up interface, I give you: Office 365/2016, w.t.f. I thought I hated "the Ribbon", but man the Ribbon is like a gentle mother's kiss compared to the face punch that the new office interface has. I'm seriously thikning the free alternatives but they all suck so hard whenever I try them it drive sme nuts.
    Have you tried Libre Office and/or Open Office? I've only used the word processor but from what I've seen they're very good. Certainly better than MS Office. I don't see myself ever using MS Office again.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-12-29 at 12:28 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

26. - Top - End - #56

FTFY.
    I wouldn't but an Apple product if they were the same price as microsoft, or even if they were slightly cheaper. They're largely responsible for the sorry state of mobile interface design in general, and even ignoring that their products have always sucked; their desktop computers didn't even have a two button mouse until the turn of the century. And their stores look like they're run by a UFO cult.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-12-29 at 12:56 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Have you tried Libre Office and/or Open Office? I've only used the word processor but from what I've seen they're very good. Certainly better than MS Office. I don't see myself ever using MS Office again.
    Sadly yes I have. Had to do a thing in Libre Office on Mac and I've never been so confused in my life.

I keep thinking Open Office would be great idea until I try to do even a fraction more complicated things I used to be able to do easily in MS Office and find that OO has all the hallmarks of software made by all the bad sterotypes of programmer.

Serisouly, getting a pop-up window every. single. time. I want to delete cell contents asking me to confirm what I wanted to delete. Here's a revolutioanry thought programmers, pick the most likely option as easy default and let there be a slightly invovled process for not so common variations.

I can't even begin to describe how annoying I find this behaviour in Open Office. Other than to say this part alone has made me considering that the asking price of a real MS Office installation maybe isn't that bad after all.

Only good thing in OO I've found so far is I could get it to spit out QR codes without a pay for use module. Though naturally the inferfaicng of the thing into OO is clunky as heck and buying something for MS Offce would be 100x more userfriendly based on trying the limited demo examples I downloaded.

Look, I don't like MS very much, but damn does MS Office show it has 30 years of interface development over OO. Occasional missteps of MS Office aside. Becases the 2016 interface is pants. Effing pants.

28. - Top - End - #58

oh. ok. you're using their spreadsheet program. I mostly use their wordprocessor; that's what my assessment was based on.

Omegaupdate Forum

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Serisouly, getting a pop-up window every. single. time. I want to delete cell contents asking me to confirm what I wanted to delete. Here's a revolutioanry thought programmers, pick the most likely option as easy default and let there be a slightly invovled process for not so common variations.
    Use the Backspace key instead of the Delete key for OO/LO and you won't get the popup.

I'm not sure whether it's a conscious design choice to annoy users or something they had to change to avoid being sued by Microsoft - I'm sure making a program with the exact same interface as Office would get Microsoft's patent lawyers salivating.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Use the Backspace key instead of the Delete key for OO/LO and you won't get the popup.

I'm not sure whether it's a conscious design choice to annoy users or something they had to change to avoid being sued by Microsoft - I'm sure making a program with the exact same interface as Office would get Microsoft's patent lawyers salivating.
    Wow. That's weird, coulda sworn I always used backspace as the delete button is small and well hidden on my Surface keyboard.