New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Question: Maddening Hex

Maddening Hex allows you to cause AoE damage to the target of your Hex, or warlock ability such as Hexblade Curse or Sign of Ill Omen.

So I have 2 related questions:

1: what other warlock abilities would be able to trigger this? There's no RAW beyond the abilities listed. I see a few possibilities: no other abilities; all warlock invocations with a single hostile target; a warlock ability that reasonably resembles a curse of some kind

2: suppose you are a Hexblade with Sign of Ill Omen and Hex. During the course of a tough battle you've used each ability on a separate target, who are each still alive. The wording is ambiguous enough that you could reasonably conclude you can only target one creature, but you could also conclude it targets all your cursed foes. The biggest issue is the phrase "the target of your hex". It implies a singular target, but we know multiple targets are possible. And the use of the definite article implies that 'target' is the important word here; which since you can have at least three at once is... Well, not as clear as "a target" would be.

I'll be honest, I'd love to, as a 'nova round', hit all three targets with the same bonus action. You took two invocations and at least two rounds to set it up; its not a cheap investment for 3-5 damage in 5' bursts. But it makes sense that it was only meant for one target at a time.

I'd like your thoughts on this. Or if someone with twitter wants to ask The Man, I'd welcome that too

Edit: question the third! For the purposes of things that count for Maddening Hex, is there a difference between Sign of Ill Omen and casting Bestow Curse without the invocation?
    Last edited by Mjolnirbear; 2017-12-14 at 03:26 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Question: Maddening Hex

Not really sure about 2), so I'll leave that for others, but for 1), I'd say they just wrote it that way to allow for future abilities that might have a similar effect. So just the two options right now.