New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Brainstorming ideas for my new sci fi setting

What would ther world look like if it was controlled by an all powerful AI conceived from the mind of a nerdy, horny, socially awkward and misanthropic programer?

So I got this new setting almost all figured out but I tougth it would be fun to hear other people's ideas and views on the premise.

So what you guys think?
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2017-12-14 at 04:26 PM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Brainstorming ideas for my new sci fi setting

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    What would ther world look like if it was controlled by an all powerful AI conceived from the mind of a nerdy, horny, socially awkward and misanthropic programer?

So I got this new setting almost all figured out but I tougth it would be fun to hear other people's ideas and views on the premise.

So what you guys think?
    Spoiler
    Show

But seriously, it could be basically anything. None of those characteristics inform any setting content, and would justify opposite extremes in directly related fields. For example:

The world could be an unrelenting sufferfest, with millions dying in fear and pain while others just go about in apathy or nonconcern, the only break in this pattern being infinitesimal moments of personal triumph that, in the end, serve only as a pallete cleanser of hope for the masses before the next cold dish of misery. (i.e. real life)
    OR
    The world could be a place of continual change and progress, with whole societies working together to promote human welfare and self-realization, where seemingly nothing is out of reach or impossible to accomplish with planning and effort, and the world of tomorrow promises wonders beyond the imaginations of their grandparents. (i.e. real life)

Both of these can be explicit results of that misanthropy. Perspective is a powerful thing.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Something something TITANs.

In all seriousness, it really depends on what the AI was created to do. This might end up being a Culture situation, where AIs exist and are the real power players, but don't actually care about humans. Maybe it's an Eclipse Phase situation, where the AI turned against reality and then disappeared. It might be a neuromancer situation, where the AI is theoretically all powerful but kept behind safeguards. It might be a Reign of Steel setting, where the AIs control the world and try to extermine humans (although not all might be concerned by them). It might be an Asimovian setting, where the AIs control the world subtly enough that only the really intelligent notice, and can't be brought down because everything's going well.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Am I the only one getting PARANOIA flashbacks?
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."