New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Fix the Storm Herald

One of my players wants to make a viking barbarian, and we both think Path of the Storm Herald fits him very nicely. However, the archetype seems ridiculously underpowered. Any suggested fixes to make it more balanced?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Fix the Storm Herald

Quote Originally Posted by Lockwolfe View Post
    One of my players wants to make a viking barbarian, and we both think Path of the Storm Herald fits him very nicely. However, the archetype seems ridiculously underpowered. Any suggested fixes to make it more balanced?
    test it out first. If you dont like it then, use the UA version which is i think slightly stronger.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'd probably just take the Zealot and the Radiant/Necrotic damage to your choice of Cold, Lightning, or Thunder. But I'm lazy and find that easier than trying to work with the Storm Herald.

The not dying/easily raised from the dead thing could be Valkyries pulling you back to life, or a blessing from Odin.
    Last edited by GlenSmash!; 2017-12-14 at 06:17 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar

4. - Top - End - #4

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by GlenSmash! View Post
    I'd probably just take the Zealot and the Radiant/Necrotic damage to your choice of Cold, Lightning, or Thunder. But I'm lazy and that easier than trying to work with the Storm Herald.

The not dying/easily raised from the dead thing could be Valkyries pulling you back to life, or a blessing form Odin.
    I've considered this. That would probably work pretty well. I should bring this up to my player and see what he thinks.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

An Ancients Barbarian might work, too.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

The UA version wasn't bad. (at least not nearly as bad as the Xanathar's version, I haven't a clue why they changed it) I'd suggest looking into that.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

7. - Top - End - #7

GreenSorcererElf

I've looked at the UA version. Is free 2d6 lightning damage per round too much? How balanced is that version?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lockwolfe View Post
    I've looked at the UA version. Is free 2d6 lightning damage per round too much? How balanced is that version?
    I DMed a campaign with 2 UA storm heralds (one sea, one arctic) and they seemed fine. Certainly not something a min-maxer is going to choose over bear totem every day.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2017-12-14 at 08:29 PM.
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Is it that bad? Cantrip (ok, half cantrip because of how it progresses) damage as a bonus action, a nice exploration feature, and a very powerful combat feature (that knocks prone regardless of the size). It doesn't look that lackluster.
    English isn't my first language, so I will likely express myself poorly.
    Please assume that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.

10. - Top - End - #10

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
    Is it that bad? Cantrip (ok, half cantrip because of how it progresses) damage as a bonus action, a nice exploration feature, and a very powerful combat feature (that knocks prone regardless of the size). It doesn't look that lackluster.
    It's a d6 that requires a saving throw and uses up a bonus action. The underwater breathing is very situational, and one of my players is playing a water genasi anyway, so that's covered. The free prone is nice, but 14th level is a long ways away, and this campaign probably won't go for that long.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I don't think it's that bad myself, but I don't personally feel the need to play absolutely 110% optimized at all times. The issue that some people have is that it costs your bonus action, which is generally best used for polearm master with GWM for a huge amount of damage. It's kind of a shame that desert just flat out lost damage from UA on top of the action economy nerf, but it's still honestly fine.
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Compared to any other barbarian subclass, it's inferior. Compared to a fighter or melee ranger it's fine.

We'll just compare it to zealot for example.

Zealot grants:
    A)More extra damage at level 3 with no action economy cost and a better damage type
    B)Free resurrection (a nice "ribbon" that might really see play). Probably of superior to equal value when compared to the exploration utilities of the storm herald (desert in particular is lame, arctic in particular is good), but it will depend on the campaign.
    C)Advantage on one save per rage. I'd say this is about on par with elemental resistance. It's more general but less powerful in specific fights.
    D)Gains a feature that lets them fight until their rage ends no matter how much damage they take at the same time that the storm herald gets their knock things prone ability.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2017-12-14 at 10:38 PM.