New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Santa Claus the D&D Character

Hello All!

This week I'm going to be trying out Saint Nick himself at Adventure League! However, I still need some advice. I'm thinking he should be a Rock Gnome (they literally get an ability to make a TOY), Folk Hero (a little bit obvious, and woodworker tools, Paladin (eventually Ancients if we get that far). For weapon style, I'm thinking Dex Based with a whip, because rheindeer. Maybe a Quarterstaff? I know if I go Dex, I can't multiclass, which might be important for that 'Santa' Vibe.

Stats:
    16 (+1 from race)
    10 (+2 from race)

Does this seem wrong or what? Should I do something else? I was thinking maybe Half-Elf or Dwarf, and possibly Cleric or Bard.

Let me know your own thoughts and ideas!
    Last edited by Grear Bylls; 2017-12-14 at 06:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Santa Claus the D&D Character

Just to know, why go DEX?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I would think that the Rock Gnomes would be the Elves, and old Saint Nick would be a Dwarf Wizard, so that he can make him and his reindeer fly.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rock gnome artificer

Or Dwarf forge cleric.

Or rock gnome wizard ?

Half elf fey warlock . Pact of the chain ? Tome?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Just to know, why go DEX?
    He's pretty quick with his hands, and Mr. Claus doesn't seem like the most healthy dude out there

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis_Elrod View Post
    Rock gnome artificer

Or Dwarf forge cleric.

Or rock gnome wizard ?

Half elf fey warlock . Pact of the chain ? Tome?
    Pretty sure Artificer isn't AL legal

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Grear Bylls View Post
    He's pretty quick with his hands, and Mr. Claus doesn't seem like the most healthy dude out there
    He's an huge guy who carry a big bag and climbs down and up for a living.

Also the historical St Nicolas is said to have KOed a man with one slap for denying his faith (to save his life).

IMO He'd probably be a Forge Cleric, maybe with Magic Initiate (Druid) for goodberry.

8. - Top - End - #8

Beholder

Goliath Totem Warrior Barbarian with a Pike. Santa borrows heavily from/mutated from Yule Figure, another name for Odin. Father Christmas (also a precursor) was a big ole Bastard with great strength.

Or a Valor Bard for a more magic version, grab find greater steed for your Flying Horse.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

He's an huge guy who carry a big bag and climbs down and up for a living.

Also the historical St Nicolas is said to have KOed a man with one slap for denying his faith (to save his life).

IMO He'd probably be a Forge Cleric, maybe with Magic Initiate (Druid) for goodberry.
    Now that you put it that way...

MASSIVE BAG OF HOLDING!

Yeah, he should be strength based if you think about it, but have 10 dex minimum. Also, athletics.

16 (racial)

Would like higher wis, but bleh.
    Also, I normally play a Dwarf Paladin, and when else am I normally gonna get to play a Gnome Paladin?

Thank you for all the responses, everyone!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

But Santa has to know who's naughty and who's nice. So he needs a decent WIS (Insight).
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2017-12-14 at 08:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

But Santa has to know who's naughty and who's nice. So he needs a decent WIS (Insight).
    That's the thing, he's MAD. I have him proficient in insight, but I can't seem to make him AL viable and still Santa Claus. Maybe stats should be:
    14 (racial)
    10 (racial)
    If you can tell me what it should be in your opinion, I may have an easier time

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I'd say Knowledge or Forge Cleric Hill Dwarf, though really you could fluff just about any class into an odd fantasy Santa. Proficiencies in Animal Handling and Insight are a must though.

Santa's always seemed like more of a battleaxe guy to me.
    Last edited by Nidgit; 2017-12-14 at 09:35 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Beholder

Firbolg Knowledge Cleric: plenty of divination for creepy kid peeping; the ability to swap out proficiencies as needed; Disguise Self shenanigans for appearing as different races while you B&E; Firbolgs used to be Red Heads, Santa/Father Christmas is a ginger; Powerful Build can haul a lot of toys.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    Firbolg Knowledge Cleric: plenty of divination for creepy kid peeping; the ability to swap out proficiencies as needed; Disguise Self shenanigans for appearing as different races while you B&E; Firbolgs used to be Red Heads, Santa/Father Christmas is a ginger; Powerful Build can haul a lot of toys.
    I agree with Firbolg Knowledge cleric. Swapping proficiencies covers A LOT of ground here.

Last edited by Elminster298; 2017-12-14 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Add info

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Half elf, he is traditionally seen as a human/elf.
    Lore Bard, that way he has scrying & other divination spells. Focuses him on knowledge & legends. Also lets him steal spells from wizard or druid to reinforce his theme.
    Archfey Warlock Path of the Tome. He is granted agelessness as long as he continues to make toys for all the good girls & boys.
    He would take spells & Invocations that help him sneak about & teleport up chimneys. The Tome is his List of Naughty & Nice kids which he must adhere to.

His background is Guild Merchant. Proficiency with Sped & Toymaker tools etc.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'll repeat Dwarven Cleric, either Knowledge to emphasize the divination aspects while avoiding heavy armor Santa weirdness or Forge for a combination of crafting, fire resistance (chimneys have fires at the bottom! Shocking I know!), and the ability to whoop ass as seen in Rise of the Guardians.

Insight would be an essential skill and he is MAD as F as said above, basically no true dump stat to speak of... but then again, most fictional characters are prone to this fault rendering proper D&D adaptations difficult lol.

As for background, I'd go either Guild Artisan for crafting or maybe Urchin for motivation (especially that Bond option of "No one else should have to endure the hardships I’ve been through." and maybe the Community ideal and "I like to squeeze into small places where no one else can get to me." trait.), preferably a mix of the two if AL allows that.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Here's the thing... Christmas elves are more like gnomes than elves. Dnd elves are like lord of the rings elves. They are arrogant, and look down upon anyone else. Gnomes make things, and tend to be upbeat and whatnot. That's the problem I see. Do we go with name, or function. I think function

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Mountain dwarf(cus Santa be big and chunky not dextrous), battlemaster fighter(for tool prof).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dwarf for sure. Reason? That iconic beard and figure. If you've ever played Overwatch, Torbjorn in his santaclad legendary skin is exactly what I picture DnD Santa to be. As for class....probably forge cleric, but could also see bard.
    Lelouch vi Britannia by Gnomish Wanderer

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Hill Dwarf - Lore Bard - Expertise in two of the following (Animal Handling, Athletics, Insight)

He can Inspire nice children and be harsh on naughty ones (Cutting Words)
    He can Fly.
    Can convince his Gnomes to keep their work on toys.
    He knows about a lot of cultures and places (Jack of all Trades)
    And well... Christmas is all about songs!

Attributes.
    12+2
    13+1

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grear Bylls View Post
    Here's the thing... Christmas elves are more like gnomes than elves. Dnd elves are like lord of the rings elves. They are arrogant, and look down upon anyone else. Gnomes make things, and tend to be upbeat and whatnot. That's the problem I see. Do we go with name, or function. I think function
    I prefer Tolkien elves. It's just way more humorous picturing Legolas as chief elf, making toys, & singing songs while dressed in peppermint candy colored hose & tunic.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Hmm...

You guys bring up a good point.
    Should I make a more stylized unique version of Santa (Dwarf Cleric/ Torbjorn)
    A historically accurate one
    (Half-Elf Paladinish thing)
    Or fantastical version?
    (Tinker Gnome Paladin)
    That's the question. I originally planned one doing the medieval version, until people started bringing in Rise of the Guardians, Overwatch, and the like.

I think I'll go for Rock Gnome Paladin this week, and Hill Dwarf Forge Cleric the next week

Thanks for all the input thus far!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

He is a Jolly Old Elf. He just has to be some sort of Elf, and his powers have to be Charisma based - he may be clever and wise, but above all he is Jolly.

Bard is a pretty reasonable choice - Caroling and bells are both big parts of the tradition. I like the Tomelock suggestion, though. Using a big book is pretty thematic, and his powers as granted, rather than inherent, makes more sense to me (see The Santa Clause). Ascendant Step allows him to levitate up the chimney at will, Beast Speech lets him talk to his reindeer, and Visions of Distant Realms allows him to do the spying necessary for his job.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Don't forget the Sailor background!
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    Sailor? Sailor?!?!

If this isn't a case for a Hermit's secret, I don't know what is! He is the only one who knows where this secret toy-making shop is, and how to go faster than light speed to deliver all of the toys!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    Are you being sarcastic? If not, please elaborate

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

I suppose we need a little Nicklaus vs. Claus distinction.

St. Nick is, among other things, the patron saint of sailors. Merchants is on the list as well, so Guild Artisan or Merchant would do. heck, the latter gives you a cart of some sort in the starting package!

Might be a selling point for Gnome - as you could have one not-Large cervid to pull your sleigh(on wheels)
    Last edited by Joe the Rat; 2017-12-15 at 03:23 PM.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.