New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: earth shark

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default earth shark

Hello everzone. I was thinking of making a new race for a game (that may not happend). It's for D&D 3.5e, can anyone help distribute across RHD and LA. They are mant to be durable so RHD is preferable to LA. Also it may be a bloodline style replacement of certain class LV. Regardless of this it looks like I will greatly appreciate a savage species progression.

Spoiler: image
    Show

This is an earth shark and I have several ideas for abilities that could they could have in d&d

Abilities:
    Borrow, coming under ground where they maybe harder to spot or completely hidden. Other benefit it could bring is healing wounds possibly with daily limit if underground regeneration or fast healing are too much. Important part is that underground they loss normal vision for terrum sense (ability to feel creatures walking on the ground)

Tough husk. They are very durable so hight construction, big hit dice and natural armor would fitting. Maybe even abyssal husk working simular to dragon husk.

Blind sens and dark vision. While they see well in the dark while burrowed they can't use their eyes. Still they can sense dengue within personal range even when underground.

Claws, tail and bite - they are equipped with many natural weapons as they have only 3 fingers on each hand and cannot wild moust regular weapons and tools

Send chinch - this is rather odd ability and I would get mad it doesn't make it. At the same time it's very unique. Small organic projectile with small radius of blind vision, shot life spam(moust likely round or 2) and ability to send telepathic information to the host. It a tool for rek'sie to take a pice at hard to reach places or from underground.

Lore:
    I don't really mind what is their origin but 2 thing that come to my mind is underdark and abyss
    Last edited by Greenflame133; 2017-12-15 at 09:22 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: earth shark

Ha I came here totally expecting you were writing about Street Sharks. I don't recognize your source image but I've tried to work around it (e.g. making the race gain Large size, restricting the items allowed by their body type).

Earth Shark

Earth Sharks (or Bulette-Spawn) are a race of savagery and strength. Descended from bulettes corrupted by Abyssal powers in ages past, they now roam the wilds of the Underdark. In spite of their bestial forms they are almost as intelligent as standard humanoids, though they have shown no interest in banding together to form a proper civilisation. As a whole their race is strongly inclined towards both Chaos and Evil, and even the most benign individuals often have little use for the company of others.

Earth Shark Base Racial Features
    All of the following are base racial abilities for Earth Sharks.

Ability Score Adjustments: +2 Charisma, +2 Constitution, +2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence. Earth Sharks are strong, hearty, and aggressive, but lack scientific interest and are somewhat clumsy aboveground.

Magical Beast Type: Earth Sharks are magical beasts. Thus, they are vulnerable to spells and effects that work on creatures of the magical beast type but immune to effects that target other types. For example, an Earth Shark would be subject to the extra damage from a magical beast bane sword but immune to hold person, since that spell affects only humanoids.

Size: Earth Sharks are Medium size.

Speed: Earth Shark base land speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision (Ex): An Earth Shark has darkvision to a 60-foot range.

Hardy (Ex): An Earth Shark may select Epic Toughness as a feat, including whenever he would be entitled to a bonus fighter feat. He need not meet its prequisites.

Low-Light Vision (Ex): An Earth Shark has low-light vision.

Natural Armor (Ex): An Earth Shark starts play with a natural armour bonus of +1.

Natural Attacks (Ex): Earth Sharks gain two claw attacks as primary natural weapons (or as secondary natural weapons if the creature is wielding weapons). The damage is based on the creature’s size (1d4 for Medium creatures).

Nonhumanoid Form (Ex): An Earth Shark is more of a quadruped than a biped. Armor an Earth Shark wears must be custom-made for their race (and for their size, if have have grown beyond Medium size). Earth Sharks may not wield weapons other than those that enhance their natural attacks (e.g. mouthpick weapons, spiked gauntlets, etc.) or wear magic items other than rings, items worn in the neck slot, any appropriate items with uncustomary or absent body slots (e.g. ioun stones), or custom-made belts, bracers, and gauntlets.

Skill Bonuses: An Earth Shark has a +2 racial bonus Knowledge (dungeoneering) and Survival checks.

Automatic Languages: Common, Undercommon. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Terran.

Favored Class: Barbarian. A multiclass Earth Shark's barbarian class does not count when determining whether an experience point penalty applies.

Earth Shark Racial Class

Race: Earth Shark.

Alignment: Any.

Hit Die: d10.

Class Skills
    The Earth Shark's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), and Survival (Wis).

Skill Points per Level: 2 + Int modifier

Earth Shark
    Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special
    1st
    +1
    +2
    +2
    +0
    Bonus Feats, Delver
    2nd
    +2
    +3
    +3
    +0
    Carapace
    3rd
    +3
    +3
    +3
    +1
    Bite, Might (+2)
    4th
    +4
    +4
    +4
    +1
    Powerful Build
    5th
    +5
    +4
    +4
    +1
    Digger
    6th
    +6
    +5
    +5
    +2
    Tremorsense, Might (+4)
    7th
    +7
    +5
    +5
    +2
    Tail Slap
    8th
    +8
    +6
    +6
    +2
    Large
    9th
    +9
    +6
    +6
    +3
    Might (+6)
    10th
    +10
    +7
    +7
    +3
    Chinch, Pounce

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the Earth Shark.

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies
    Earth Sharks are proficient with their natural weapons, but no other weapons. Earth Sharks are not proficient with armour or shields.

Bonus Feats (Ex)
    At first level an Earth Shark gains Blind-Fight, Endurance and Toughness as bonus feats.

Delver (Ex)
    As a full-round action an Earth Shark may burrow 5 feet into the earth, and remain there comfortably for as long as he wishes. He may not move or take physical actions while burrowed (other than to reemerge), nor may he use this ability to delve into rock, metal, or other similarly hard materials. While submerged an Earth Shark has tremorsense out to 5 feet, is difficult to detect (Search DC 20 + class level), and heals hit points and ability damage naturally every hour rather than every day.

Carapace (Ex)
    Beginning at 2nd level, an Earth Shark's natural armour bonus increases by +1 per two class levels (to a maximum of +5 at 10th level).

Bite (Ex)
    At 3rd level an Earth Shark gains a bite as a secondary natural attack. The damage is based on the creature’s size (1d6 for Medium creatures).

Might (Ex)
    Beginning at 3rd level an Earth Shark gains a +2 bonus to his Constitution and Strength scores. These bonuses increase to +4 at 6th level, and to +6 at 9th level.

Powerful Build (Ex)
    At 4th level an Earth Shark is treated as one size larger than his actual size category or as his actual size, whichever would be more beneficial for him (including for weapon damage).

Digger (Ex)
    At 5th level an Earth Shark gains a burrow speed equal to his base land speed. He may only burrow through loose materials such as earth or sand, and may not create passages for others to follow.

Tremorsense (Ex)
    At 6th level an Earth Shark gains tremorsense out to 60 feet.

Tail Slap (Ex)
    At 7th level an Earth Shark gains a tail slap as a secondary natural attack. The damage is based on the creature’s size (1d8 for Medium creatures with Powerful Build).

Large (Ex)
    At 8th level an Earth Shark's size increases to Large. This is cumulative with the benefits of the Powerful Build ability (for an effective size of Huge when appropriate).

Chinch (Su)
    At 10th level an Earth Shark gains the ability to spawn a chinch once per day as a full-round action. Treat this as arcane eye, save that the sensor is a Fine-sized visible organic projectile (AC 23, 10 hp) with blindsight out to 100 feet.

Pounce (Ex)
    At 10th level, an Earth Shark may make a full attack when making a charge (including when charging at a target on the surface whilst the Earth Shark is burrowing, though he must fully emerge from the ground to make such a charge).

Feats
    Suggested feats: Improved Natural Attack, Multiattack, Improved Multiattack. Plus some new ones:

Earth Shark Contortionist
    You have learned to wriggle to fit certain magic items on your body, more or less comfortably.

Prerequisites
    Earth Shark.

Benefits
    Choose a body slot for magic items. You may wear magic items in that slot (even if otherwise forbidden by the Nonhumanoid Form special quality).

Special
    You may select this feat more than once. Its effects stack.

Earth Shark Grappler
    Your tail can grasp foes.

Prerequisites
    Earth Shark, tail slap natural attack.

Benefits
    You gain the improved grab and constrict special attacks for your tail slap. The constrict attack deals the same base damage as the tail slap.

Special
    This feat allows you to qualify for the Multigrab, Greater Multigrab, and Reflexive Constriction feats.
    Last edited by rferries; 2017-12-16 at 03:11 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: earth shark

@rferries thank you very much this works better thne anything I could come up with. I really wanted to play it befoure but now I;m hyped. I can't thank you enought.

may I have few questions
    1) should I treat earth shark lv as class lv or is it some how different?
    2) I'm would resting undergroud count toward daily 8 hours of sleep or not? As underground spice they wouldn't have reson for daily cycle.
    3) they are Magical Beast right?

I don't think I ever heard about Street Sharks.

As for origin of them image it's rek'sai from league of legends, that mean there are many resources for her. Including 3D modle. It many be even possiable to 3D pring it as use as figure
    Spoiler: one more imige
    Show

Fun fack rek'sie is beast of roach from stare craft 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

If you wanted to be slightly closer to source lore I believe the race would be an Outsider (evil, chaos), and is change the auto languages to Abyssal, then bonus languages to common, undercommon, terren, infernal, dwarvern and gnome. Maybe add a bite as another secondary
    Other than that this looks pretty great

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

@nikkoli I don't think outsider is fitting as "the outsider is partialy composed of the essens". and fact usually have power related to plants they come from make it not fit that well. Another thing, aside form Rek'sai let's consider dehaka as he was a source for rek'sai. Therei s point to bemade about Aberration with their odd autonomy.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

I said outsider just because of how i understand the Void of LoL to be more like a lower outer plane, like the abyss, and then its influence is what changed them to outiders, probably from some kind of magic beast. like how a bunch of templates change type. But the race would have adapted to the template and it wouldnt be a "(x template) y magical beast" now its just an earth shark. But I do like rferries land shark racial levels.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

In old lore void was space between planes (like Astral see im d&d) it was place so twisted no mam could resist it's powers. It's generally like abyss in d&d

In new lore void is corruption absorbing the world. It absolute chaos and entropy. Like limbo and abyss of d&d. They are opposed by mount targon. It's mostly chaos vs lawful.

In stare craft lore. Zeus is a planet where primordial zerg take part in never ending battle rola, change and evolve to achieve ultimate evolution.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I didn't really know the backstory, so I made them magical beasts to connect to bulettes and because you said you wanted them to be tough (e..g. d10 Hit Dice). Now that I know a bit more, I'd say Zerg are either aberrations or vermin and Void entities are outsiders or perhaps elementals, feel free to alter the class as you wish.

I don't actually recall how savage species racial progressions work but I'd say you'd be free tomix levels in the racial class with levels in other classes.

Yeah, I'd totally say time spent burrowed counts towards daily rest.

Yep they're magical beasts (or whatever type you wish).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Come to think about it, it wouldn't be unreasonable to have earth shark able to embrace it's outsider nature and gain powers of more supernatural nature.

Problems with outsiders is that they usually have one fixed alignment and assigning alignment to non d&d material is rather tricky. While fight between between void and mount targon is presented as chaotic evil vs lawful good there are counter fit examples on both sides. Vel'coz is lawful void link and Zoe is chaotic targonian. Generally conflicts is more like soul eaters madness vs bravery then d&ds evil vs good.

Then there is fact to consider. It's old lore (not yet touched by lore update) but while rek'sie originated in the void they lived for a while (several centuries) in Surinams Deserts (so material plane)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I just realized that for 6 legged creature speed should be more like ones for quadruple so thstarting at 40 ft, at lv 4 going up to 50ft and on 8th all the way to 60 ft

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    I just realized that for 6 legged creature speed should be more like ones for quadruple so thstarting at 40 ft, at lv 4 going up to 50ft and on 8th all the way to 60 ft
    Makes sense, and again you should feel free to copy the post and edit it as you wish :)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright guys, I tried expanding on rferries ideas. For convenience I moved it to google doc. I will aprishiate any and all feedback.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

I posted some comments in the Google doc for you to look over, some of it was just spelling stuff but I would double check the level 11 ability for SR. It seems weak to only grant your natural armor as SR.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nikkoli View Post
    I posted some comments in the Google doc for you to look over, some of it was just spelling stuff but I would double check the level 11 ability for SR. It seems weak to only grant your natural armor as SR.
    I want for RHD + natural armor at Magic Distortion

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

I like that choice. The part about the path that still confuses me is that there is not a spot where they choose which path they are progressing on, unless you want them to be able to flop back and forth as they advance.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nikkoli View Post
    I like that choice. The part about the path that still confuses me is that there is not a spot where they choose which path they are progressing on, unless you want them to be able to flop back and forth as they advance.
    It's kind like sources spells and heritage feats. It's not charters choice but leaving it up to change would be flustreting