New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Best knowledge class?

So im trying to make a character but i cant decide between cleric or bard. I want the character to be support based and trying to pick either knowledge domain or college of lore. Any advice is appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Best knowledge class?

Quote Originally Posted by Josato View Post
    So im trying to make a character but i cant decide between cleric or bard. I want the character to be support based and trying to pick either knowledge domain or college of lore. Any advice is appreciated.
    Lore bard is probably more useful overall. :)
    More skills, expertise in 4 skills instead of 2, possibility to poach spells from any class and so on.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Knowledge Cleric 1-2/Lore Bard multiclass is awesome

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Rogue 1
    K.Cleric 1
    Lore Bard 18

Edit - Arguable Scout Ranger 3, Lore Bard 15

5. - Top - End - #5

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spacehamster View Post
    Lore bard is probably more useful overall. :)
    More skills, expertise in 4 skills instead of 2, possibility to poach spells from any class and so on.
    Yeah the jack of all trades also helps for whats left. Is multiclassing worth it?

6. - Top - End - #6

MonkGirl

Yeah the jack of all trades also helps for whats left. Is multiclassing worth it?
    I think so, medium armor is also nice on a Lore Bard after all

7. - Top - End - #7

Flumph

Half Proficiency vs Double Proficiency

It's worth it

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

WELL... Knowledge domain DOES grant you expertise in two "knowledges", which easily surpasses what you would get from just proficiency and high intelligence score, especially if you also have high intelligence score. Then again, bard does eventually get more expertises than knowledge domain, and even if you didn't have proficiency in every "knowledge", you still get half proficiency.

Just a reminder: bard gains expertise at 3rd level and again at 10th level, whereas Knowledge domain only at 1st level.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-12-15 at 05:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

ClericGuy

So i could have three classes?

10. - Top - End - #10

Flumph

You can have upto 20 different classes

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Of course. If you meet the minimum requirements for multiclassing, by RAW (rules as written), you could have levels in all classes.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-12-15 at 05:27 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    WELL... Knowledge domain DOES grant you expertise in two "knowledges", which easily surpasses what you would get from just proficiency and high intelligence score, especially if you also have high intelligence score. Then again, bard does eventually get more expertises than knowledge domain, and even if you didn't have proficiency in every "knowledge", you still get half proficiency.

Just a reminder: bard gains expertise at 3rd level and again at 10th level, whereas Knowledge domain only at 1st level.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    So i should main Bard and dip one level in rogue and cleric.

The party is currently at lvl 6 and i have make a new character that does heals ad i like him to be a spy with alot of degrees in law, buisiness and forge whatever else he doesnt have.

13. - Top - End - #13

BlueKnightGuy

You can have as many classes as you meet the prerequisites for.

Although at a certain point I bet it gets wierd.

For theory crafting, I created a Fighter/Rogue/Cleric/ Wizard/ Bard once.

I think he had like 9 cantrips at level 5?

14. - Top - End - #14

MonkGirl

You could have 12, unless your DM says no; but I wouldn’t recommend it. Cleric/Bard or Rogue/Cleric/Bard all have potential though. I prefer the former.

A Scout/Knowledge Cleric/Lore Bard can be proficient in all 18 skills by level 7 if you really wanted...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a build that eventually gets all skills and expertese in most of them;

From memory, I'm sure you start as a Half Elf for the bonus skills, Rogue 1 to get 4 starting skills (instead of 3 from Bard) and a backround of your choosing. Follow with Knowlage Cleric 1.

Then there was a good balance between College of Lore Bard and Rogue (any rogue really, but Arcane Tricster will provide more Spell Slots, wile the Swashbuckler has a lot of bonuses to skill checks on his own right... The new subclasses from Xanathars might have some interesting combination too), as well as the Skilled feat were you eventually ended up with Proficiency in all skills, and expertese in 10 of them or something.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    You could have 12, unless your DM says no; but I wouldn’t recommend it. Cleric/Bard or Rogue/Cleric/Bard all have potential though. I prefer the former.

A Scout/Knowledge Cleric/Lore Bard can be proficient in all 18 skills by level 7 if you really wanted...
    If you actually wanted to be decent at combat you could go something like 5 Gloam stalker, 3 scout, 1 knowledge cleric, 3 lore bard. Finishing up 5 gloam, 4 bard, 1 cleric and 10 scout or something.
    Decent at combat, 8 expertise and all skills. :)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

If you actually wanted to be decent at combat you could go something like 5 Gloam stalker, 3 scout, 1 knowledge cleric, 3 lore bard. Finishing up 5 gloam, 4 bard, 1 cleric and 10 scout or something.
    Wasn't the gloom stalker a ranger archetype or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Gloam stalker.
    What's this Gloam Stalker I keep reading about? I was in an understanding the XGtE had a Gloom Stalker instead
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

19. - Top - End - #19

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    What's this Gloam Stalker I keep reading about? I was in an understanding the XGtE had a Gloom Stalker instead
    I've seen a gloam stalker in an adventure league game. It's pretty niche but if you know your having a gloam heavy campaign it's pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post

What are the places: Elf-land. Dwarf-land. Ethnic-stereotype-land(s). And who could forget The Big Chill and Spooky-Underground-Elf-Land?

Necromance if you want to

We can bring your friends to life

But if your friends aren't dead and if they aren't dead then their no friends of mine

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NecroDancer View Post
    I've seen a gloam stalker in an adventure league game. It's pretty niche but if you know your having a gloam heavy campaign it's pretty good.
    I was being sarcastic (just read my signature). I said it only out of amusement of repeatedly misspelled Gloom Stalker. Gloam Stalker is NOT a thing.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-12-15 at 07:47 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I think this really comes down to which of these two you prefer: Cutting words+Magical Secrets or Read Thoughts Channel Divinity. Those are both pretty sweet deals, though the Read Thoughts won't really shine unless you're doing social things sometimes.

22. - Top - End - #22

Flumph

or just 2 Warlock...

Eldritch Blast = decent at combat

23. - Top - End - #23

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Talamare View Post
    or just 2 Warlock...

Eldritch Blast = decent at combat
    Could learn it from lore bard.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Knowledge cleric 2/bard 18

Channel divinity for proficiency in any skill you don't have - just wonderful.

Ypu really don't need anything else for the knowledge skills

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Do check with your DM and make sure that multiclassing is actually on the table; it's an optional rule, and while it's a very common optional rule, not every group uses it.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Could learn it from lore bard.
    Eldritch Blast is really only good if you pick it up as a Warlock and get Agonizing Blast. It's a great way to give an otherwise non-combat character some combat chops, but it does really want that 2 level warlock dip.

FWIW, my skill monkey build is a Half Elf with this class progression: Rogue 1/Cleric 1 (Knowledge)/Warlock 2 (Agonizing Blast + Beguiling Influence invocations)/Bard 3 (Lore)/Rogue 2 (Scout). From then on you either dump levels into Bard to get better casting or Rogue to eventually get to Reliable Talent at Rogue 11. You can do it faster, but this version gets Darkvision and Agonizing Eldritch Blasts.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

My full skill multiclass suite is Human with the skilled feat, 4 skills and 2 from Background

Rogue (Scout) 3 - 6 skills, 4 Expertise
    Cleric (Knowledge) 1 - 2 Skills, 2 Expertise
    Bard (Lore) 3 - 4 skills, 2 with Expertise

So at level 7 you've got every skill with 8 Expertise (RAW, no UA now that scout is official)

I appreciate the build using Warlock, but I like getting the Rogue cunning action and Archetype in play as quickly as possible. At that point, you can almost always jam pack your action economy into fun town early on and never feel lacking in something to do while the rest of your goodies come online.

28. - Top - End - #28

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix_Walker View Post
    My full skill multiclass suite is Human with the skilled feat, 4 skills and 2 from Background

Rogue (Scout) 3 - 6 skills, 4 Expertise
    Cleric (Knowledge) 1 - 2 Skills, 2 Expertise
    Bard (Lore) 3 - 4 skills, 2 with Expertise

So at level 7 you've got every skill with 8 Expertise (RAW, no UA now that scout is official)

I appreciate the build using Warlock, but I like getting the Rogue cunning action and Archetype in play as quickly as possible. At that point, you can almost always jam pack your action economy into fun town early on and never feel lacking in something to do while the rest of your goodies come online.
    I think they're both totally legitimate builds. I admit, being fully online at level 7 is SUPER nice, I just hate being the one person in the party without Darkvision, and I think Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast is a better way to contribute to combat than effectively being a Rogue who's at least 4 levels behind on their Sneak Attack damage.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rooneg View Post
    I think they're both totally legitimate builds. I admit, being fully online at level 7 is SUPER nice, I just hate being the one person in the party without Darkvision, and I think Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast is a better way to contribute to combat than effectively being a Rogue who's at least 4 levels behind on their Sneak Attack damage.
    Yep, both nice approaches. In less combat-centric times in the game though, a Rogue never has nothing to do. That and if I add Warlock, I can't bring myself to spend an invocation on skills!

Edit: Typo
    Last edited by Matrix_Walker; 2017-12-16 at 03:54 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix_Walker View Post
    Yep, both nice approaches. In less combat-centric times in the game though, a Rogue never has nothing to do. That and if I add Warlock, I can't bring myself to spend an invocation on skills!
    I admit, I do find it weird to be spending that invocation. That said, it's not terribly different from spending a feat on skills, which the VHuman version also does ;-)