New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Duo Concept: The Lovers

I'm looking for feedback on a concept I have for two characters who work together.

The Lovers
    forbidden lovers who made a pact with another being for the power to escape their homeland, so they could be together

The two should be primary warlocks with similar and complimentary builds. They should also be generally capable, able to handle most situations, so as to be the ideal addition to any party.

• My idea: Blade Pact Celestial Warlock Drow Elves
    • DEX > CHA > CON
    • Elven Accuracy -> 18 Dex
    • Devil's Sight, Improved Pact Weapon, Thirsting Blade
    • Conjured Longbow
    • Spells include: Misty Step, Thunderstep, Darkness, Counterspell, Hypnotic Pattern, Cure Wounds, Revivify

Celestial may seem like an odd choice; why not Hexblade? Hexblade is good, but these two wouldn't benefit much from the armor prof or shield since they stay at range. Hexblade's curse is great, but better on a character who can make more than two attacks per round. It's also once/short rest for a long while.

But the Celestial Warlock can bonus action heal allies without expending spell slots up to warlock level + 1 times per day. I've noticed that ranged characters who aren't crossbow experts often have nothing good to do with their bonus action. Additionally, bonus action heals are phenomenal in combat for bringing allies back up. This is basically a Healing Word that doesn't eat your precious spell slots.

Because both have Devil's Sight, only one of them needs to cast Darkness for them both to benefit from it. Since they're ranged, this won't inconvenience allies. Drow grants an additional casting of Darkness, meaning at least one of the pair should always be able to cast this spell. Combined with Elven Accuracy, the two will seldom miss. A pair of magical longbows making four attacks with triple advantage, later adding Sharpshooter, is more damage than most foes can handle.

Thunderstep specifically allows you to take an ally with you making it perfect for these characters. If enemies close with either, whichever of them acts first can take them both to safety and damage the enemies in the process. Notably, if one of them drops, the other could Thunderstep and bring the other back up as a bonus action in the same round, since the Celestial bonus action heal is not a spell and therefore can be used in the same round as a non-cantrip.

Counterspell, Misty Step, and Hypnotic Patter are just good spells.

Past level 5, I'm unsure what would be best for the characters. Sticking with warlock is certainly an option, but doesn't increase their sustained damage by much. Two levels of rogue or fighter would be excellent for either of them. I could also see a case for Paladin.

Thoughts? Critique?
    Breaking BM: Revised - an updated look at the beast-mounted halfling ranger based on the Revised Ranger: Beast Conclave.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Stranger in the Playground Retired Moderator Ventruenox's Avatar

Default Re: Duo Concept: The Lovers

Wonder Twin Powers, Activate!

Looks like a pretty good pairing, both mechanically and rife with RP possibilities. The challenge as I see it is to find a like minded partner to play with.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I love it. Made me think of Xayah and Rakan from League. I would love to see this play out in a campaign.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

With all respect, this is too much mechanics, and not enouch info for the actual characters. Since you ask for feedback on the characters, I would be more interested on their story that their build.

Apart from the fact they are forbidden lovers from the Dark Elf Society, who are they?

A Priestess of Lloth and a Commoner perhaps? A Student in the school of Sorcere and a young accolite in
    Arach-Tinilith, both Nobility to rival Houses? An outcast from the Bregan D'Aerthe in love with the next heir of the first house of a Major City? Or maybe the next heirs to two big houses at cold war with each other, who met as accolites in Arach-Tinilith, and want to escape the fate of killing each other.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm considering a dip of Celestial Warlock on the Paladin I'm running in a Curse of Strahd game. Mostly because Warlock is a nice MC for Paladins, but Celestial in particular because of that Healing Light of theirs. Warlock Level +1 d6 of healing per Long Rest as a bonus action.. Works just a tiny bit more effective than Lay on Hands when in a pinch.

Als considering a dip into Divine Soul Sorc, because 4 cantrips, from the Sorc and/or Cleric list? Sign my butt up. Plus, I could grab Healing Word as a First Aid thing in combat should it be needed.

I could always just pick up Magic Initiate for some ranged stuff, but that's both the lowest in added power.. but also the least delay on Paladin goodies like the Aura.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post
    With all respect, this is too much mechanics, and not enouch info for the actual characters. Since you ask for feedback on the characters, I would be more interested on their story that their build.

Apart from the fact they are forbidden lovers from the Dark Elf Society, who are they?

A Priestess of Lloth and a Commoner perhaps? A Student in the school of Sorcere and a young accolite in
    Arach-Tinilith, both Nobility to rival Houses? An outcast from the Bregan D'Aerthe in love with the next heir of the first house of a Major City? Or maybe the next heirs to two big houses at cold war with each other, who met as accolites in Arach-Tinilith, and want to escape the fate of killing each other.
    I have to discuss backgrounds with the other person, that's why I started with mechanics. That said, here's my basic idea:

These drow come from warring houses. Their matrons forbade them from being together. No one leaves Lolth, no one escapes Menzoberranzan, and these two knew they would not have the strength to do this alone. So, they made a pact with a celestial for the power to leave their homeland. In exchange, they vowed to root out evil where they find it and protect the innocent - or something similar to that.

Backgrounds could be anything, really. One idea is to have one start rogue and the other start warlock. Before adding backgrounds, this enables the two to pick up a complimentary set of skills.
    Skill Set 1 (Rogue): Perception (elf), Thieves’ tools, Stealth, Persuasion, Acrobatics, Athletics
    Skill Set 2: (Warlock): Perception (elf), Thieves’ tools (rogue multi), Stealth (rogue multi), Intimidation, Deception

The rogue might have a background as a Soldier or Noble. The warlock might have a background as an Acolyte or Sage (priestess in training). But, really, anything would be fine.
    Breaking BM: Revised - an updated look at the beast-mounted halfling ranger based on the Revised Ranger: Beast Conclave.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Easy_Lee View Post
    I have to discuss backgrounds with the other person, that's why I started with mechanics. That said, here's my basic idea:

These drow come from warring houses. Their matrons forbade them from being together. No one leaves Lolth, no one escapes Menzoberranzan, and these two knew they would not have the strength to do this alone. So, they made a pact with a celestial for the power to leave their homeland. In exchange, they vowed to root out evil where they find it and protect the innocent - or something similar to that.

Backgrounds could be anything, really. One idea is to have one start rogue and the other start warlock. Before adding backgrounds, this enables the two to pick up a complimentary set of skills.
    Skill Set 1 (Rogue): Perception (elf), Thieves’ tools, Stealth, Persuasion, Acrobatics, Athletics
    Skill Set 2: (Warlock): Perception (elf), Thieves’ tools (rogue multi), Stealth (rogue multi), Intimidation, Deception

The rogue might have a background as a Soldier or Noble. The warlock might have a background as an Acolyte or Sage (priestess in training). But, really, anything would be fine.
    Folks are always trying to shoehorn in a shadow monk, and summarily being told that it wrecks the rest of the party's abilities. A warlock archer/ shadow monk duo would work rather nicely, I think. Or if you're set on the double warlocks, keeping one warlock until level 11, and having the other split of into rogue would probably be the way to go. You'll get all of your aforementioned mechanical goodness, and afterwards, once survival is a bit easier, you can diversify to cover more bases.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I like the concept alot, but think it may be better played out if they vary to some degree. One a hexblade (cupids bow perheap) and one celestial (cupid). Celestial goes darknes agonizing blast while hexblade works that cha bow.