New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New character

1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: New character

Had a bit of an issue with the builder yesterday and had to remove every last bit of data related to it from the computer. Can't be arsed reinstalling it right now, but since I still have access to my old PDFs, I should be able to make changes to the build in the old-fashioned way. Not that there were much need, really.

I must admit, double sword is one of my favorite weapons which makes it a tempting choice to take instead of Katars, but I really like the flavor and mood of that katar wielding savage, and I haven't been able to find any pictures of a double sword wielding characters which would appeal to me enough (yet).

Until (and if) I do, let's just stick with the Katars as is. I know I could refluff another weapon to look like Katar, but it wouldn't feel the same because I know there are actual rules for Katars. I guess it's some kind of OCD

I guess I could wield two katars without the feats, but it wouldn't feel the same, either, knowing that there are feats for doing it appropriately. I might forget some or all of the Multiclass Power swap feats and just take Unarmored Agility and Light Blade Expertise later. For now, I think that Arid Desert Berserker with the feats I already have chosen (excluding Cyclone Warrior, which I'll change to Battle Awareness) would be enough along with the proposed stats: Str 20, Con 16, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 14.

I guess I could cut down the number of powers that actually use two weapons, and instead try to take more powers that would make me better as a defender. Being a good Striker is of secondary importance to me, as the group already has at least one dedicated striker. I could even delay Battle Awareness by two levels and take Unarmored Agility now.

If I'm not completely mistaken, with the to-be-changed stats and other stuff, the results would look something like this:

Before magic items...
    AC: 22 (12 (10+½*level)+4 (dex)+3 (Arid Heartland)+1 (TWD)+2 (unarmored agility)); 24 with Defender Aura.
    Other defenses should be changed as follows, if I remember the class features correctly:
    Fort: 20 (compared to previous: -1 Frozen -> Arid)
    Ref: 20 (compared to previous: +1 Dex, +2 Arid)
    Will: 15 (compared to previous: -1 Frozen -> Arid)

and attack bonus of +10 (+3 (proficiency)+7 (strength+½*level)) should be decent enough

The feats would be as follows:
    H: Katar Proficiency (Imho, it's decent flavor choice from a race choice; suboptimal as it may be)
    1: Two-Weapon Fighting (I know it's basically just +1 to damage to both weapons when wielding two weapons, but still, I want it)
    2: Two-Weapon Defense (+1 to AC and +1 to Reflex both are quite welcome)
    4: Unarmored Agility
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-01-18 at 12:52 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

BTW, if you're still looking at weapon ideas, and like the Double Sword- look at the Lotulis from Dark Sun Campaign Setting (if your dm is ok with it). Superior weapon, +2 proficiency with 1d10 on the primary end and 1d8 on the secondary, heavy blade. Also, the fluff text is great for a barbarian- "This short-staffed double weapon sports outward-pointing, barbed crescent blades on each end."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Also, if you're okay with a bit of refluffing, you may want to consider changing Iron Wolf Warrior to Elemental Initiate. Access to ki foci is *extremely useful* for dual-wielding weapons since you only need a single ki focus to provide enhancement bonuses to both of your weapons, making it much cheaper to use two different weapons. Also, the theme power is absolutely *amazing* for defenders (especially Essentials defenders) since it's an immediate reaction to being attacked. The utility power options are also quite nice (Flowing Defense and Balancing Step are both amazing options that tend to be better than comparative options at those levels for Barbars).

The unarmed combat isn't really useful but it's thematically cool because you then become the barbarian that, while still technically better while armed, is perfectly capable of literally ripping their enemies into small pieces with bare hands if needed.
    4e Homebrew: Shadow Knight, Scout
    roll20: Kitru

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Thank you both for the ideas, but I'm not into refluffing or new weapon ideas. Call me weird if you wish. I've made up my mind about weapon(s) I want to use.

Elemental Initiate idea wasn't bad, but I find Iron Wolf Warrior to be far more fitting for the character. (The Katars for example would be self-proclaimed Fangs of the Iron Wolf or some such)

I asked my DM if I could get a +1 Paired Katar instead of +1 armor. I know this would set my AC a little behind for now, but considering that no one in the group has more than one magic item, each, and no higher than level 2...

Spoiler: Question regarding Shock Trooper paragon path
    Show

Looking forward, I was weighing my options for the Paragon tier and I found Shock Trooper to be somewhat fitting for the character.

The question I have is related to Deadly Soldier feature. Does the increased damage die only apply to a weapon I have in my off-hand or the whole weapon category "Off-Hand"?
    For Example, because I wield two Katars (Off-hand, high Crit), do I increase only one weapon's die to 1d8, or both weapons' dice?
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-01-18 at 01:41 AM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    The question I have is related to Deadly Soldier feature. Does the increased damage die only apply to a weapon I have in my off-hand or the whole weapon category "Off-Hand"?
    For Example, because I wield two Katars (Off-hand, high Crit), do I increase only one weapon's die to 1d8, or both weapons' dice?
    [/SPOILER]
    All weapons with the off-hand property have their damage increased for you.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Waddacku View Post
    All weapons with the off-hand property have their damage increased for you.
    Cool, thanks. That was my gut feeling as well, but I wanted to be sure.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014