New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of Crimson Darkness II

"Yeah. I might be able to buy a crystal ball with my share."

Hissra gets up. "Is there any nearby cave you haven't used since we met that you think won't be occupied at the moment? I want to go through this stuff and figure out what we're going to sell and what we can probably keep, but I don't want to use anyplace we regularly sleep in for that. Unless we're going to just sell it all... but there might be stuff in there we can use that there's no way Kabhsenuf Tantawi kept careful track of, so maybe that's not the best way. Especially if there are healing potions in there."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-10-16 at 08:48 PM.

2. - Top - End - #632

Snagazod the Sneaky "Humm, me not know a nearby cave that empty.

We coulds just stay here. Corbakl will come looking for us in a couple hours....maybe like as soon as it gets dark. This is as good a spot as any, if we wants to trap him.

We knows there is still traps all around, and we know the safe path.

We coulds just dump the stuff with Grazus Darkspell...."

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Before this goes any further: are color and scent reliable indicators of what potions do? If Hissra finds a potion of the same color and scent as a healing potion, is it a semi-reasonable guess that the new potion is a healing potion too? (Especially if he scans it and it comes up as a conjuration potion?)

4. - Top - End - #634

Show

Color and scent and form are not a way to tell what a potion or oil is or does. There are no rules as to what a potion or oil must be like.

Though most people do make potions along some set appearances.

A Spellcraft roll of 25 can Identify a potion. Requires 1 minute. No retry.

DC20 Craft (Alchemy) check. You must have basic artisan’s tools to make the attempt, and each attempt requires 1 minute.

Casting Detect Magic on a potion to determine its aura grants a +2 bonus on any Spellcraft or Craft (Alchemy) check made to identify it.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Okay, thanks.

Did Hissra see how many potions there are?

"You said we have a few hours? If that's the case, maybe we can look over the potions before we go, and try to figure out what those do. The ones I can figure out, we keep. The ones I can't, or that do something we aren't sure we need, Grazus gets along with the rest of it all."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-10-19 at 01:46 AM.

6. - Top - End - #636

The two bags contain 22 bottles.

Snagazod the Sneaky "Sure, me figure we got at least until dark."

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay. Hissra gathers the potions and casts Detect Magic on them for that circumstance boost. (I suppose he might as well catch the rest of it all in the effect too.)

Show
    22 skill checks? Dang.

Ordinarily I'd offer to just make one roll, but that one roll would be pretty high-stakes. So I'm not sure I want to do that this time.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-10-19 at 01:02 PM.

8. - Top - End - #638

Show

Well, it's not like it's hard to have the dice roller roll 22 times? Or even 100 times.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    I suppose not. I was just worried you wouldn't want to read 22 of them. But I guess that's just a matter of counting the successes.

Anyway, with the +2 that comes out to 15 for all of those rolls, so...

(1d20+15)[24]
    (1d20+15)[20]
    (1d20+15)[17]
    (1d20+15)[27]
    (1d20+15)[19]
    (1d20+15)[21]
    (1d20+15)[33]
    (1d20+15)[32]
    (1d20+15)[19]
    (1d20+15)[16]
    (1d20+15)[25]
    (1d20+15)[31]
    (1d20+15)[32]
    (1d20+15)[32]
    (1d20+15)[29]
    (1d20+15)[28]
    (1d20+15)[31]
    (1d20+15)[19]
    (1d20+15)[31]
    (1d20+15)[21]
    (1d20+15)[17]
    (1d20+15)[30]

Edit: Looks like... twelve? Okay, so I've slightly beaten the odds. What do I have? And what schools are the ones I can't identify?

Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-10-20 at 02:38 AM.

10. - Top - End - #640

Spoiler: Potions
    Show

(1d20+15)[24] Abjuration
    (1d20+15)[20] Abjuration
    (1d20+15)[17] Enchantment/Charm
    (1d20+15)[27] Enchantment/Charm Potion of Heroism
    (1d20+15)[19] Enchantment/Charm
    (1d20+15)[21] Enchantment/Charm
    (1d20+15)[33] Enchantment/Charm Potion of Heroism
    (1d20+15)[32] Illusion Potion of Invisibility
    (1d20+15)[19] Illusion
    (1d20+15)[16] Transmutation
    (1d20+15)[25] Transmutation Potion of Gaseous Form
    (1d20+15)[31] Transmutation Potion of Gaseous Form
    (1d20+15)[32] Transmutation Potion of Haste
    (1d20+15)[32] Transmutation Potion of Haste
    (1d20+15)[29] Transmutation Potion of Haste
    (1d20+15)[28] Transmutation Potion of Fox’s Cunning
    (1d20+15)[31] Necromancy Potion of Naturewatch
    (1d20+15)[19] Necromancy
    (1d20+15)[31] Necromancy Potion of Absorb Dead Flesh
    (1d20+15)[21] Necromancy
    (1d20+15)[17] Necromancy
    (1d20+15)[30] Necromancy Potion of Absorb Dead Flesh

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground

Hissra puts aside the potions he failed to identify so that he can keep straight what potions he does and doesn't know the effects of.

Then he points to the potion he knows is a potion of Invisibility. "Okay, that one is Invisibility. We can both already do that, so... do we sell it, or keep it just in case?"

Show
    I recognize most of those, and I managed to find Naturewatch online, but what does Absorb Dead Flesh do?

12. - Top - End - #642

Snagazod the Sneaky "Oh nos, invisibility is too useful...we keep."

Spoiler: Potion
    Show

Absorb Dead Flesh: By placing a hand upon a corpse (a dead, and not undead, body) the caster absorbs the flesh of the corpse, healing himself for 1d6 points plus 1 point per level of the caster(5 points).

Once cast on a corpse, the corpse shrivels and decomposes rapidly, leaving only a bare skeleton. This spell may only be used once on any corp s e. Absorb Dead Flesh does not work on any corpse that does not have some rotten meat hanging from its bones.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ogre in the Playground

"Cool. I'll hold it for now, since I'm out of Invisibility. Or... we don't actually know how often your boots work, do we? You might be out too, and if you are maybe you should hold it... Anyway, I have two potions of heroism, so we should each have one just in case, two potions of gaseous form, which we should also split... and three potions of haste. We can each take one... should we sell the third? Or do you think you could use it next time we get into a fight?"

Show
    So, how does Absorb Dead Flesh work in a potion? We drink it and then touch the corpse, right?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-10-21 at 03:26 AM.

14. - Top - End - #644

Snagazod the Sneaky "Wes don't want to sell something useful like haste. Like moving fast is good. "

Spoiler: OCC
    Show

Yes, you drink the potion and then can absorb the dead flesh of a corpse

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

"Okay. Maybe you should hold the extra one, then. And these... are sort of like healing potions except that instead of directly healing you, they let you necromantically absorb the flesh of a dead corpse. Weird, but potentially useful. We should probably each have one just to be on the safe side."

Hissra holds up the potion of Naturewatch. "And this one... lets the drinker necromantically sense the condition of plants, including how close they are to death. I... think we should sell this one. I can't think what we'd do with it."

16. - Top - End - #646

Snagazod the Sneaky "Me take haste, moving fast is good magic.

Um, see dead plants? Sure we can sell that...if um, someone would buy it?

And that ok, you can have both eating dead people potions. "

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ogre in the Playground

"The Absorb Dead Flesh potion could save your life, but if you're sure... Anyway, there's probably someone who could use the gardening potion. But not us: we aren't gardeners. At any rate, we should probably get out of here."

18. - Top - End - #648

Snagazod the Sneaky ties up the two sacks.

Snagazod the Sneaky "We should get moving. It will be dark soon enough."

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ogre in the Playground

"Could not agree more." Hissra walks to the cave exit and stops to see if Corbakl is waiting for them.

20. - Top - End - #650

There is nothing much to be seen outside the cave.

Except the pile of burning orc bodies.

Snagazod the Sneaky "Me seen nothing>"

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

"We've probably managed to outmaneuver Corbakl, then. But still, let's not hang around.

22. - Top - End - #652

Snagazod the Sneaky "Yups, we wills have to deel with hims soon enough."

Snagazod the Sneaky heads back to town.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah. He won't want the coin we sell the haul for any less than he wants the haul itself... he might even be glad we saved him the trouble of selling it." Hissra follows Snagazod.

"Hey, you know, I still have two Magic Missile spells and that Minor Image we were planning to lure Laaz out with. And you don't even have to worry about running out of spells. Do you want to come back after we sell the stuff, and see if we find him? I mean, part of the reason I've been hesitating to deal with him was that the only way to know for sure he's planning to rob us is to let him try to rob us, but if we come here and he's lying in wait near the cave..." Hissra looks back at the bodies. "Or would he know something was up when he saw the corpses?"

24. - Top - End - #654

Snagazod the Sneaky "You not thinking dark enough. Except for good allies, everybody back stabs and attacks. And some people do it more often then others. Me can tell, that goblin is the sneaky type.

But it always good to strike first.

Like, ok, maybe he is a good guy that just works for Darkspell....though that woulds be like weirds. Like maybe he just good honest goblin..haha.

But if he is, it don't matter much...like we don't know him or nothing. So we attacks and kill him...so whats?

But likes chances are be that he is not like that.

And if he is likes that, he wills comes after us...and wes sure don't wants to get jumpped."

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground

"I get the value of striking first, believe me. It's just... I was brought up not to think too dark. I was taught that there should be limits, that you should think before taking a life. A society that's too dark runs the risk of collapsing, as everyone's too busy fighting amongst themselves to keep it going... but maybe I'm in a society like that anyway."

Hissra keeps walking towards town, and away from where Corbakl almost certainly hopes to ambush them. "But what I'm trying to say is that I am okay with ambushing him at the cave tonight after we sell this stuff, if you think we can do it with what spells I have left. If we come back and find him watching it, he's probably watching it with the intent of ambushing us. So he can hardly complain, right?"
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-10-24 at 02:29 AM.

26. - Top - End - #656

Snagazod the Sneaky "Um, right"

It's an uneventfully walk into twon and over to the house, inside and down the ladder and then into the cave at the bottom where Grazus Darkspell sits in chair.

Grazus Darkspell "Back again?" he says with half a smile.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

"We have two large sacks of assorted magic items, including a couple of potions. We were able to identify slightly more than half of them, and we're keeping most of the potions we were able to identify, except... this one." Hissra holds up the potion of Naturewatch. "This one is a potion that allows the caster to diagnose the condition of plants and animals. I'm... not sure we have any use for it, but there's got to be someone who does."

Hissra hands Grazus that one potion. "As I said, we weren't able to identify the others we're selling. I can tell you they're from a variety of schools. Three enchantments, two transmutations, three necromancy, an illusion, and two abjurations." Hissra pauses. "Actually, instead of selling the abjurations, could I pay you to identify them for me? After selling the stuff in the bags, the plant-sense potion, and the rest of the unidentified potions, we should have more than enough."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-10-24 at 07:18 PM.

28. - Top - End - #658

Grazus Darkspell "You want to sell me both sacks of items? What is your price?

"

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Let's see...

I'd meant to specify that Hissra made sure to catch everything in the Detect Magic, not just the potions, but I forgot to actually type that out. Still, the spell is a 60 foot cone-shaped emanation. So, was everything caught in the spell?

30. - Top - End - #660

Show
    Yes.

And most of the items in the sacks did glow with weak glows.