New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31

Default Re: Tales of Crimson Darkness II

The ink bottle falls well away from the scroll. The scroll is right at Yuuta's feet.

Round 1

Initiative

Snagazod the Sneaky (1d20+6)[18]

Yuuta Mori (1d20+2)[13]

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I guess I'll just keep my mouth shut and hope Snagazod gets him this round.

(1d20+2)[11]

So, the Daze doesn't wear off until the end of Yuuta's turn?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-01-08 at 11:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33

Snagazod the Sneaky quickly goes for another strike.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(1d20+8)[27]
    (1d8+3)[11] (3d6)[6]

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Yes.

Snagazod the Sneaky's sword cuts deep into Yuuta Mori's body sending grayish blood flying everywhere, but Yuuta does not fall.
    Last edited by Darth Ultron; 2018-01-09 at 10:54 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a natural nineteen. That's within a short sword's critical threat range, right?

Anyway, if Yuuta does manage to stay standing through that blow I think I should probably cast that scroll again, just in case.

5. - Top - End - #35

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Yes it is....note Snagazod has a long sword (1d8 damage), not a short sword (1d6)....but the crit range is the same

Spoiler: roll
    Show

(1d20+8)[25]

Snagazod does swing his sword very skillfully and gets a good hit...and twists the blade in the wound....

Yuuta Mori's body falls apart into a pile of gray chunks of odd material.
    Last edited by Darth Ultron; 2018-01-11 at 09:08 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultron View Post
    Show

Yes it is....note Snagazod has a long sword (1d8 damage), not a short sword (1d6)....but the crit range is the same

Spoiler: roll
    Show

[roll0]

Snagazod does swing his sword very skillfully and gets a good hit...and twists the blade in the wound....

Yuuta Mori's body falls apart into a pile of gray chunks of odd material.
    Show
    Oh. Right. Thanks for the correction.

"Nice. Thanks again for the help."

Hissra puts away the scroll and goes to look over the report to see if it is still legible. (And, for that matter, whether it mostly matches the story he'd spun to Yuuta.)
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-01-11 at 10:21 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37

The scroll is laying on the floor, next to the pile of chunks of gray matter. It's written nicely in common, and is word for word what you said.

Snagazod the Sneaky pokes the gray stuff with his sword "Me no think he was an orc at all."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

The scroll is laying on the floor, next to the pile of chunks of gray matter. It's written nicely in common, and is word for word what you said.

Snagazod the Sneaky pokes the gray stuff with his sword "Me no think he was an orc at all."
    "Huh. I... think you're right. It occurred to me a while ago that he might have been under an illusion, since the name didn't sound Orcish to either of us and sounded Eastern to the priest, and since all of Tantawi's orcish servants were grey orcs. But... maybe we're looking at something weirder here."

Question one: does this look like the remains of a freshly slain, formerly living creature with bizarre coloration? Or am I looking at something inorganic? (It's starting to sound like the latter, but I wanted to be sure before I went any further.)

Question two: are his clothes and equipment intact, or did they melt into the pile of whatever-this-is along with his flesh?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-01-13 at 12:08 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39

The pile of gray chunks of matter don't look inorganic exactly....but they sure don't look like normal natural parts of a life form, unless you count things like oozes, as they are very much alive.

Most of the items Yuuta Mori was wearing fell apart into gray chunks, except for two bone scroll cases and a single dagger.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

The pile of gray chunks of matter don't look inorganic exactly....but they sure don't look like normal natural parts of a life form, unless you count things like oozes, as they are very much alive.

Most of the items Yuuta Mori was wearing fell apart into gray chunks, except for two bone scroll cases and a single dagger.
    Hissra takes the two scroll cases. "I'll look through these later. I hope it's something I like." He picks up the dagger by the blade (being sure to only apply pressure to the flat and to keep his fingers well clear of the edges) and holds it out to Snagazod hilt-first. "Did you want a spare? If not, maybe I could use one."

Show
    So, assuming this is something from the standard creatures and phenomena, my best guess would be a doppelganger. (I kinda feel like that's stating the obvious, but then again I don't know the material well enough to be sure there's nothing else it could be.) Anyway, does Hissra have to roll to make that guess, or would he just know that was a possibility?

Also, are there enough solid bits in Yuuta's head that it could survive being put in a bag and carried across town? Or would I have to find a solid box and carry it carefully to avoid shaking his semi-solid skull?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-01-15 at 07:51 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Snagazod the Sneaky "Me got plenty of daggers."

It's hard to tell what gray chunks and blobs might have been the ''head'', but you can sure take a bit off the top where the head was...

Show

If by ''standard'' do you mean in Core or what?

You are always free to guess, and Hissra can guess too. You don't need to roll to guess (how many ranks does Hissra have in the skill Guess...lol)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Snagazod the Sneaky "Me got plenty of daggers."

It's hard to tell what gray chunks and blobs might have been the ''head'', but you can sure take a bit off the top where the head was...

Show

If by ''standard'' do you mean in Core or what?

You are always free to guess, and Hissra can guess too. You don't need to roll to guess (how many ranks does Hissra have in the skill Guess...lol)

"I'll keep it then." Hissra puts the dagger away.

"I'm guessing this guy was a doppelganger. A creature with the natural ability to disguise himself. I... don't know why Kabsenuf Tantawi bothered trying this, though. I don't fit in, but nobody's tried to murder me. Maybe he thought an orc would draw less attention, and be less likely to come to my attention? (Or our attention, if his information is that good.)"

"Mind you that is just a guess. He could have been anything, really. Scrolls suggest a mage of some sort, and that could just as easily explain Yuuta looking like something he wasn't. And for that matter he worked for a wizard..."

Hissra blows out a breath. "I wanted to leave his transcript of my account of our fight with Gretreo where it fell, and hope whoever finds it believes it's true and reports it to the Red Wizard. In case you missed any of it, about half of what I said is true, but I made sure to stay away from any truth that might actually help the Red Wizard and his minions and told a big lie at the end that might draw heat away from us if they believe it. Kabsenuf Tantawi buying it seems like a long shot, especially given what the Red Wizards are supposed to be capable of with divination, but trying costs us nothing."

"As for how we can magically gain information on Kabhsenuf..."
    Hissra turns to the grey, gooey corpse.
    Show
    I was referring to all the stuff that isn't homebrew, really. Srd, whatever else is in Core but not Srd, or really any Wizards rulebook anyone uses. I don't know how much of that you use, though. And I thought the four spells I found in Ogolkil's office had to be homebrew, since I googled them and couldn't find them.

But anyway, assuming this isn't homebrew, I thought it was probably a doppelganger. And if it's Core, or especially Srd, I think it would have to be. I don't know of any other natural shapechangers in the game that could do this, and I don't see much point to including another in the Srd.

As for the head (or the pieces roughly cooresponding to it), is it (or are they) solid enough that it looks like it could survive being carried in a sack? Or would Snagazod and Hissra have to be careful with it lest they shake it apart?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-01-16 at 08:31 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Snagazod the Sneaky "Well...um, me know he no orc. " with a shrug.

Show

Well, Google does not always work....even worse as they are Evil Corporate Company.

This one is in the books...but there are a ton of creatures...even just in Core/SDR and not everyone has a great memory.

The gray chunks are semi solid...think like Jello

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Snagazod the Sneaky "Well...um, me know he no orc. " with a shrug.

Show

Well, Google does not always work....even worse as they are Evil Corporate Company.

This one is in the books...but there are a ton of creatures...even just in Core/SDR and not everyone has a great memory.

The gray chunks are semi solid...think like Jello
    "Maybe we can ask him what he was, if it turns out he's something that can be made to talk the same way the temple did Gretreo. Maybe we need some way to carry the head carefully, though. Make sure it doesn't fall apart." Hissra looks around to see if there's a solid wooden box in easy reach.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I found another shapechanger in the srd. Can't imagine how I forgot that succubi and incubi can shapeshift. Seriously, there's a major succubus character in OOtS that abuses that power a lot. And you didn't say this was Srd, or that I should rule out the other stuff Hissra just mentioned...

I think I'll roll Knowledge: Planes to know what happens when an outsider dies. [roll0]

Hey, if I wanted to roll something to know what happens when a doppelganger dies, what roll would that be? (Edit: Never mind. It's Dungeoneering. I don't have that one. Edit2: Wait, I was wrong. Doppelgangers are Monstrous Humanoids, not Aberrations, so that means it's Nature. But, anyway, is that basic enough to be DC 10? If so, I think I can do that untrained.)

And for that matter, I'll roll Knowledge: Arcana and Knowledge: Religion (in case this creature is some form of undead or a manifestation of divine magic) to see if I know what this stuff is. [roll1] for Arcana, and [roll2] for Religion.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-01-17 at 01:49 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Dang dice-roller glitched. Maybe it's because I tried to preview my post. Anyway...

(1d20+5)[10] for Knowledge: Planes
    (1d20+13)[15] for Knowledge: Arcana
    (1d20+5)[23] for Knowledge: Religion

16. - Top - End - #46

There are no wooden boxes in the room. There is a big heavy wooden chest and a clay bucket.

Knowledge: Planes, Hissra does not recall anything.

Knowledge: Arcana: In just about all cases anything that changes shape will revert back to it's true natural form (if it has one) when it dies.

Knowledge: Religion: Hissra does not know of any religion based around this.

Show

Not that you need to be a SRD expert or anything...but there are a couple shapeshifters there.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

There are no wooden boxes in the room. There is a big heavy wooden chest and a clay bucket.

Knowledge: Planes, Hissra does not recall anything.

Knowledge: Arcana: In just about all cases anything that changes shape will revert back to it's true natural form (if it has one) when it dies.

Knowledge: Religion: Hissra does not know of any religion based around this.

Show

Not that you need to be a SRD expert or anything...but there are a couple shapeshifters there.
    "Hm. Openly carrying a head in a bucket might draw some stares. But... that's not openly a head, is it? We don't even have to admit to knowing what it is, if some busybody looks into it. Though as I said to that pile of grey grease, nobody here seems to care what we get up to anyway."

"Anyway. Let's search the place, then... well, I still look like Gretreo. Maybe I can pretend I have no idea what's going on, or what that is, and ask the owner if he knows where Yuuta is. Maybe ask some questions when I'm done."

Show
    Okay, Knowledge Arcana and Knowledge Planes are straightforward. Just to be sure, though: I rolled Knowledge: Religion because it covers undead. When you say Hissra doesn't know anything on that score, does that mean this isn't recognizably an undead of any sort, or a phenomenon tied to them?

18. - Top - End - #48

Snagazod the Sneaky "Don't look like a head to mes."

The table has several more blank sheets of paper, and a small bundle of ones with writing on them tied with a piece of twine. There is also a clay cup of water, and a 'wheel' of dry cheeses.

Snagazod the Sneaky finds a metal box under the bed with a good lock. He opens it and reveals the 5,000 gold coins inside of it.

Show

Yes, it's does not match any undead you have heard of

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Snagazod the Sneaky "Don't look like a head to mes."

The table has several more blank sheets of paper, and a small bundle of ones with writing on them tied with a piece of twine. There is also a clay cup of water, and a 'wheel' of dry cheeses.

Snagazod the Sneaky finds a metal box under the bed with a good lock. He opens it and reveals the 5,000 gold coins inside of it.

Show

Yes, it's does not match any undead you have heard of
    "Not much like a head, no..." Hissra sighs. "Well, we'll take it to the temple, see what they can do. Of course, if they agree to try the money they'll charge is coming out of my share of that." Hissra indicates the gold.

Hissra approaches the sheaf of papers. "If they charge at all..."

Since I haven't decided whether I'd rather take the papers, or simply leave them exactly as they were and hope whoever searches the scene assumes I didn't see them, can Hissra read them without picking them up or undoing the tie?

Show
    Thanks. Just wanted to be sure.

One last question, though: if I wanted to use Knowledge:
    Arcana to figure out if this could be a spell or a construct or something, would I need to make another check, or would we use the fifteen?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-01-21 at 08:14 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50

Snagazod the Sneaky just shrugs.

The papers look to be some sort of journal. The top one describes a day of just sitting around the room waiting for any news and how bored he was doing it.

Show

Sure you can use the 15, unless you want to re-roll.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Snagazod the Sneaky just shrugs.

The papers look to be some sort of journal. The top one describes a day of just sitting around the room waiting for any news and how bored he was doing it.

Show

Sure you can use the 15, unless you want to re-roll.
    "Well, we'll see."

Is there a date on the entry that Hissra can see? And for that matter, does the Plane of Shadow use the same calendar as the Prime Material plane? (Assuming that there is just one Prime Material calendar, and that I shouldn't be asking about a calendar specific to Thay.) Or if the calendars aren't the same, would Hissra know what date it is by the Prime Material (or Thayvian) calendar?

Does that entry get any more specific than that on what sort of news he was waiting for, or how long he's been there?

And about how many pages long does the journal seem to be?

Show
    I should probably reroll. I could believe that this is obscure enough to need more than a fifteen, and it's only a one-in-twenty chance that this will backfire given that this fifteen was the result of a natural two. So, (1d20+13)[21] to know whether or not this could be a construct's ability or the result of a spell. (Though I'm starting to doubt it from the sound of that journal entry, even though I was leaning in that direction before I read this post.)
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-01-23 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Poorly placed comma

22. - Top - End - #52

The journal does not have a date, but the top one does say ''day 33'', but the stack of papers is only 11 pages, so some must not be here or he did not write one everyday or is using some other form of numbers to count them. The entry is not specific, but then he likely knew what he was writing about.

The Plane of Shadow does not use a Prime plane calendar, as it has no sun, planet, seasons, etc.

Of course, every place in the world has it's own calendar.

Spoiler: knowledge
    Show

There are a couple spells...even some Shadow spells, that let a spellcaster make a temporary servant or copy a living one to send out to a dangerous place. Simulacrum, and clone are two obvious ones.

There are constructs that could be made as well, though most are much more obviously artificial.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

The journal does not have a date, but the top one does say ''day 33'', but the stack of papers is only 11 pages, so some must not be here or he did not write one everyday or is using some other form of numbers to count them. The entry is not specific, but then he likely knew what he was writing about.

The Plane of Shadow does not use a Prime plane calendar, as it has no sun, planet, seasons, etc.

Of course, every place in the world has it's own calendar.

Spoiler: knowledge
    Show

There are a couple spells...even some Shadow spells, that let a spellcaster make a temporary servant or copy a living one to send out to a dangerous place. Simulacrum, and clone are two obvious ones.

There are constructs that could be made as well, though most are much more obviously artificial.

About how long is the entry Hissra can see? A paragraph? Two? Or is it the whole of a reasonably large sheet of paper? And while I'd assumed someone like Hissra can skim a paragraph well enough to get the basic meaning in about a second or two, are there actual rules on how long it takes to read that contradict that idea?

I see. Thanks. Yeah, I'd figured that for the same calendar to apply to the entire world didn't make sense, and that the same calendar applying to several planes would make even less. So, does that mean Hissra doesn't know what date it is, by whatever calendar the Thayvians use?

Show
    Neither spell perfectly fits this. The description for Clone gives me the impression that Hissra wouldn't have any clue that anything had happened that wasn't supposed to; Yuuta would have simply died in front of him and woken up in a laboratory someplace out of Hissra's sight. Simulacrum works better, and might even explain the non-construct-like behaviors of keeping a journal and suffering boredom, but the version described in the srd wouldn't result in the exact type of false corpse Hissra sees.

But that's not to say I've concluded this is impossible. I'd imagine a variation of one of those spells that fits the description you've given is possible. I'd especially imagine that it shouldn't be that hard to rewrite the Simularcrum spell to use animal fat or some other substance that is more common in Thay than ice or snow would be. But does Hissra know if a spell that perfectly fits what he sees has been done before? Or if one of these spells has been used to create a golem that this fits with perfectly?

And of course if Kabhsenuf Tantawi has a spell slot he can cast either out of then it's a good idea to avoid him for the time being, but I'd already guessed that much.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-01-23 at 11:51 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54

Hissra can read the whole entry on the top of the stack of bundled papers. And a couple lines from the ones under that of like ''today I waited-"

Show

No reading rules. And no reason Hissra would know the calendar.

Neither spell fits perfectly.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Hissra can read the whole entry on the top of the stack of bundled papers. And a couple lines from the ones under that of like ''today I waited-"

Show

No reading rules. And no reason Hissra would know the calendar.

Neither spell fits perfectly.

Well, my guess is that Hissra can skim a paragraph in under a second, if he doesn't care too much about getting the whole meaning. If that sounds fair I guess he picks up the journal and scans the whole thing looking for any names or any units of measurement of time.

One other thing he'd look for: what's the day number of the second entry? And the third? That might help me pick out a pattern. Edit: Maybe the fourth for good measure, but no farther. I'm trying to have Hissra economize on his time spent.

Show
    Yeah. Well, if it ever comes up I can probably ask someone. Probably not someone from Skorne, but it's not likely to come up in Skorne.

Yeah. Okay, I'm back to guessing this is a natural shapechanger, then.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-01-25 at 12:40 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56

The pages look like a diary a day, looking to be written at the end of the day. The pile is only a couple weeks worth.

Show

Or unnatural Shapechanger...dum, dum ,dum.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

The pages look like a diary a day, looking to be written at the end of the day. The pile is only a couple weeks worth.

Show

Or unnatural Shapechanger...dum, dum ,dum.
    Does Hissra see any names (such as his own, or Kabhsenuf Tantawi's, or Aramil Dsuke's) or any units of measurement of time (such as days or weeks?)

Or, do you judge that looking for those specifically would take as about as long as just skimming the entire journal? (Or what I can find of it?) If I wouldn't lose any time just reading the whole thing, obviously I should just do that.

Show
    Yeah, I can't really rule that out yet.

When you said that most constructs would be more obviously artificial, what does that mean? Would most constructs have been easy to tell from the real deal while I was watching them? Or would I have had to look for some little hidden clue that they weren't real? Or do you just mean that I when I killed them they'd show some flashy, obvious tell like melting into a pool of organic goop?

And you said most constructs would be more obviously artificial than a natural shapechanger... what are the real hard-to-spot options?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-01-26 at 09:27 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58

You could just grab the papers, to read them will take a couple minutes...maybe like 10 minutes.

Show

Many Constructs like Golems, Shield Guardians, Helmed Horrors, and Effigys look like ''moving statues'' and are very clearly not natural living creatures. Even the living type constructs, like Warforged and Mordons still ''look'' like artificial objects shaped like people. Only a few, like the Homunculus look like a ''real living creature''.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

You could just grab the papers, to read them will take a couple minutes...maybe like 10 minutes.

Show

Many Constructs like Golems, Shield Guardians, Helmed Horrors, and Effigys look like ''moving statues'' and are very clearly not natural living creatures. Even the living type constructs, like Warforged and Mordons still ''look'' like artificial objects shaped like people. Only a few, like the Homunculus look like a ''real living creature''.

I want to read them, but I'm not sure about taking that long while I'm still running down the clock on that spell and standing in potentially hostile territory.

Hissra puts the journal away for later. "Okay. We'll take the cheese too. I think." Hissra quickly looks it up and down to see that it isn't hard, or moldy, or a piece of wax designed to look like food in order to help a construct keep up appearances or anything.

Show
    The description of what a dead homunculus does (it "melts into ichor") sounds awfully familiar for some reason.

Okay, I have three questions: would Hissra be able to recognize the "ichor" that homunculi dissolve into? If so is this a match for it? And is Kabhsenuf Tantawi's manor within the slightly more than a quarter mile (or 457.2 meters) that homuncli are willing to stray from their masters?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-01-29 at 07:40 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60

Snagazod the Sneaky "We should get going"

Show

Ichor is a bit vague to recognize. It's looks/sounds similar. Your many miles from Kabhsenuf Tantawi's manor.