New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: What's with the american fetish for kosher salt?

Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post
    But isn't iodine also harmful when consumed in greater quantities than "normal"?
    Imean, that's kind of true for everything.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Including water and oxygen, which are generally considered vital for life.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post
    But isn't iodine also harmful when consumed in greater quantities than "normal"?
    Well, technically speaking, yes. But as others have pointed out, anything in overly large quantities is going to kill you pretty good. Iodine however, is a VERY NECESSARY SUPPLEMENT that will prevent goiters which is probably not the worse thing to happen to you, but it's certainly not medically recommended, either.

I greatly suspect that at the point you're chowing down on enough iodized salt to have issues with iodine, your diet probably has waaaaaaay more pressing problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Including water and oxygen, which are generally considered vital for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Well, technically speaking, yes. But as others have pointed out, anything in overly large quantities is going to kill you pretty good. Iodine however, is a VERY NECESSARY SUPPLEMENT that will prevent goiters which is probably not the worse thing to happen to you, but it's certainly not medically recommended, either.
    Yes, but once you are speaking of about quantities measured in micrograms it's extremely easy to fall on the other side of the trend.

I mean, there's a reason doctors talk about hypervitaminosis every once in a while and the "real" doctors wouldn't recommend nonchalant use of vitamin supplements. When I was taught in school about those conditions, I remembered Iodine was briefly discussed too; except that IIRC, it's rarer than the cases of having too much vitamins

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    I greatly suspect that at the point you're chowing down on enough iodized salt to have issues with iodine, your diet probably has waaaaaaay more pressing problems.
    I wouldn't be so sure. For all intents and purposes, iodine is equivalent to vitamin/mineral supplements in regular diet; and as it is the case with most vitamins; it all depends on more variables than just the diet (what you eat) alone. Absorption, medication(s) and body retention, are all variables to be considered. But I digress.

My point is that NaCl is one of the safest substances to abuse* (just drink enough water and it will "go off") because of how efficient is the body to dispose of it quickly enough before it causes enough harm. Other substances, not so much. I'm not sure about iodine, but if hyperthyroidism caused by iodine is a condition at all, my guess is the body isn't just as good.

*In a single take. Not in daily doses.

Spoiler: Disclaimer
    Show
    The link was just for quick reference of recommended doses. I'm assuming "healthy doses" vary wildly for each legislation so it would be pointless to bring accurate doses for iodine anyway.
    Last edited by Lord Joeltion; 2018-01-15 at 10:21 AM.
    (sic)

My English non très bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO