New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default What are you playing?

So, with my plans for a 4e game with my home group on hold for a while (no complaints, as my wife is running 13th Age and I actually get to play a PC for a while), I find myself wondering what everyone here is doing.

Are you playing 4e? Something else? What is the campaign? What's your character?

Me, I'm running an gnomish illusionist wizard in the aforementioned 13th Age campaign. Which is a departure for me, as I usually play melee characters, and not generally spellcasters. so it's been interesting to explore. Also, the character's name is Gnate Wifflebat*, and he is very silly.

*All gnome names have a Gn at the beginning. This is law.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: What are you playing?

I like to talk about my characters and stuff (obviously).

Currently, I'm playing in one 5th edition campaign, one 3.5 campaign, and running a 5th edition campaign.
    Also, I'm planning to join the 4th edition campaign sometime next year, so I've got my hands full, pretty much.

I guess I'm crazy to have this many projects going on?

The 5th edition campaign I play in, is set in a homebrew world, loosely based on Dawn War premise, although it's not Nentir Vale, per sé.
    My character is a human "barbarian" who just so happens to be a Paladin, who hails from the North, a member of a tribe or clan of semi-nomadic people. Sort of like Uthgardt Barbarians (from Faerūn) I suppose. He's devoted to the Old Faith and the Storm God, Kord. Uses both a hammer and a shield in combat -- both as weapons. So, in short, he's not your standard paladin by a long shot. Plus, he's actually quite intelligent. For a paladin, anyway (not a single negative modifier on Int/Wis/Cha department).

The 3.5th campaign I play in, is actually set in Golarion. Our DM decided he wanted to do something else than just 5th edition, so we started Rise of the Runelords (original).
    My character is a dwarven Paladin, currently at 3rd level. I'm planning him to take next 4 levels in fighter and then become a Dwarven Defender, something I've always wanted to play, but never had the chance, until now. I rolled his stats really good so he's one tough nut to crack. Which is good, since I'm basically the dedicated tank already.

The 4th edition campaign is, as far as I know, a homebrew campaign set in Faerūn. That's pretty much all I know or remember about it for now. The DM (different than on the two above) said the campaign has a story, and a plot to follow, so I'm excited nonetheless (not saying the other two campaigns didn't have, though). It's been a long time since I've played 4th edition, so I kinda jumped to the chance.
    The character I'm about to make is still in flux, despite having discussed about it in detail here.
    The other player(s) I've spoken to about my thoughts have said that I could, if I wanted to, play the sorcerer I initially planned, but I do wish to be able to contribute something that isn't already present (that being a defender). The cavalier seems awesome, but I'm having second thoughts about it, because it reminds me a little too much of the paladin I have in the 5th edition campaign as mentioned above. I'll have to think about this further. If you want to participate on that, feel free to join in the other thread.

Okay, that covers a bit of the characters I play. Now, onto the campaign I run.
    It's set in the same homebrew world as the first one mentioned (5th edition, not-quite-Dawn-War/Nentir-Vale), but in a different location, and not related to the events of the other. At least not directly. I do have plans to put it on hold soon, but I plan to run a small adventure that leads to a natural break, so to speak. After I'm done with that, I'll probably restart my Post Apocalyptic campaign I've been trying to run for a couple of times already, every time having it die down due to having to make up so many house rules because the systems haven't bent enough to meet the needs. This time, I think, it'll work well, as I'm planning to run it using Starfinder. Let's see how it goes.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-12-19 at 05:31 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I'm running 4E.

It's set in the 4E Realms in Daggerdale. It contains not a few homages to classic (A)D&D adventures from the 80s, and is heavily inspired by 4E's Reavers of Daggerdale. I expect to finish around low- to mid-Paragon.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by ScrivenerofDoom View Post
    I'm running 4E.
    I'm running multiple 4e games in the Eberron campaign setting.

One is upper paragon (started in mid-heroic) and is (currently) dealing with an incursion of warforged loyal to the Lord of Blades raiding the surrounding countryside and will culminate in them confronting the LoB himself at the climax of an epic plan that will involve the PCs fighting the Eberron equivalent of a Gundam.

One is lower paragon (started in mid-heroic) and involves a group of time cop characters who go to different times and ensure that events unfold as they are intended to (Eberron has a very long and very interesting timeline and this allows us to explore it). They're currently in the Age of Goblins, ensuring that the goblins defeat the Daelkyr but still have their empire fall after defeating it.

The third is being rebuilt, starting at mid-heroic and the players will all be members of the King's Dark Lanterns (spies working for Breland) and/or their friend/associates doing their best for Breland. I basically plan on it being something like Burn Notice.
    4e Homebrew: Shadow Knight, Scout
    roll20: Kitru

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm running 4e. We're at the very end of the outstanding Zeitgeist campaign path - literally the final combat encounter. It's taken us 3 years to get here, and every session has been great.
    PAD - 357,549,260

6. - Top - End - #6

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    ... 5th edition ... Paladin ...
    ... 3.5th ... Paladin ...
    4th edition ... cavalier seems awesome
    I sense a pattern...

Also, Runelords is an awesome adventure path, though it has some definite flow issues at times. We thoroughly enjoyed it back in 2007(ish) when we played it.

Some of the boss monsters, though... I had to re-build a number of them, to make them sane. One early one I remember (after the spells they listed her as having cast), had an AC that could only be hit (outside a nat 20) by the 18 strength barbarian, with the best magic weapon, WHILE RAGING, and even then only on a natural 19. Hopefully your party fares better in that one?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePurple View Post
    I'm running multiple 4e games in the Eberron campaign setting.
    Man, I love Eberron... theoretically. I have yet to be able to play/run a game that fully captures what I think makes it special, as opposed to just being standard fantasy plus artificing.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    I'm running 4e. We're at the very end of the outstanding Zeitgeist campaign path - literally the final combat encounter. It's taken us 3 years to get here, and every session has been great.
    I ran that campaign for a while when it was being released, but it fell apart after one particularly weird story beat that made the party feel like they didn't have more to reasonably investigate. I'd love to try running or playing it again.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ve4grm View Post
    I sense a pattern...

Also, Runelords is an awesome adventure path, though it has some definite flow issues at times. We thoroughly enjoyed it back in 2007(ish) when we played it.
    Heh, um, about that pattern... It's.. uhh, relatively recent thing actually. I've usually played fighter, barbarians, rangers, and rogues throughout editions, so I guess I'm trying to balance something, if only subconsciously :P

As for the cavalier, it might be that I won't play it after all. As tempting as it seems.

I've actually played the AP before with another group, although it was Anniversary Edition, so it doesn't count, does it?

I believe I know which creature you spoke of. We did have a rather difficult time but we nailed her, eventually.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-12-20 at 10:53 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Man, I love Eberron... theoretically. I have yet to be able to play/run a game that fully captures what I think makes it special, as opposed to just being standard fantasy plus artificing.
    I can see that. Eberron definitely takes a different style of GMing than other versions of D&D. It works really well with 4e, however, since (as I see it) 4e is designed to run cinematic campaigns which are the kind of campaigns that Eberron works best with (since it's the campaign setting that's inspired by Indiana Jones, Casablanca, and Blade Runner).

One of the common problems I find with experienced D&D players moving over to Eberron is that they tend to bring a "medieval fantasy" mindset to Eberron. Everyone involved in Eberron needs to have a much more "modern" mindset, since that's kind of what Eberron does: it has massive corporations that are as powerful as the governments themselves and the magical equivalents of modern technology.
    4e Homebrew: Shadow Knight, Scout
    roll20: Kitru

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

I was playing a lazy Eladrin Warlord lvl12. I'm Intelligence (then full Charisma), I took only power that granted attacks, I never attacked, my heals and my buff was very powerful. The strikers loved me (especially the Ranger Archer Elf because she was my girlfriend irl). Very strong character but I need a party with a high synergie with me (the Fighter and the Barbarian were very strong with me and the Archer worked well too with me)

(if you want I can paste a CB summary)
    My dices'bucket is ready

10. - Top - End - #10

Currently playing a couple of weird PCs:
    A 7th level Elven Arena Fighter|Ranger who took Sling/Shortbow as Arena weapons so as to be able to take Moonbow Dedicate. Which then allows the PC to use Sling Expertise to not provoke with ranged/area attacks, weapon or implement. And then I took the Templar theme, so I launch magical arrows, using Dexterity to cause explosions. Interesting PC, particularly because I don't have a good feel for a power or set of choices that needs to go first - could be Twin Strike, Twin Strike used in a kind of Defender way, or a variety of area or close burst explosions. Grew up in a palace in Dark Sun and snuck around stealing magic.

An 8th level Deva Wis/Cha Ardent Vow Paladin who tries to only use burst implement powers - so Novice Power for Ballad of the Zombie King, Astral Thunder, Hallowed Circle/Frost of Letherna right now. If the PC gets to 13th, will pretty much have implement powers for all combat rounds. Angel of the Traveller looking to become an eventual Exarch. And maybe replace one of the Dark Six of Eberron. Pathological liar or truth teller, hard to say.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Most recently I was paying a mostly lazy warlord (think lazy warlord but has swordmage so that I can get full strength int based basic attacks to allow me to use more powers since some have you attack too) and a bard.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by ThePurple View Post
    I'm running multiple 4e games in the Eberron campaign setting. (snip)
    I really envy you. I've been longing to run Eberron because...

(snip) Man, I love Eberron... theoretically. (snip)
    However, I just haven't been able to find the right group of players who would make it work. That said, I might put some effort into finding some new players in 2018.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm running a homebrew PoL campaign. Its centered on a floating sea in the elemental chaos. The party has a run down ship they use to go from the various islands to trade. Theoretically. But they just finally after a level and a half escaped a domain of dread that was beginning to leak into the elemental chaos. So they haven't done any trading yet.

14. - Top - End - #14

I'm running an adaptation of Madness at Garmore Abbey for 5e. I partly did partly caught the adaptation, but so far it's going very well. It's a very hard adventure to run, it's open world and has a variety of characters and stories. And I tunned it to be somewhat difficult for players too, their struggle in the ruins is for real. But I as DM and all my players seem to like it, the adventure let you do a lot of combat or just evade them with tongue or other skills. Also, the combat scene is very well designed, there is always something on the environment that can be used, and of course, the randomness of the Deck of Many Things.

Also, I'm running a long 4e homebrew campaign for three friends. The lore is based on Points of Light, with exception of the more recent part (the Empires) and the map. We are playing this game for almost a year now, and so far we are all in love with what we got. I'm really enjoying DMing for 4e (it's my first time running this edition), and it's super easy. My players like the edition too (it's their first time), one of them more, the other a bit less. The first one is somewhat addicted to Character Builder.

I'm also playing a short 5e campaign. Nothing especial to say here.

What I want for the future is to find a regional D&D 4e table for I to play. There are some years since I last played 4e, and I want to do it again to compare with playing 5e and running 4e.
    Last edited by Marcloure; 2017-12-30 at 12:57 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

BardGuy

A 4th ed campaign. Currently lever 17. trying to stop Giants awakening a primordeal as champions of Argent.
    The party come from what's probably a mote in one of the hells and regularly have the bard give "people" what we like to call "The Speil" to recuit new inhabitants for The Mote. (Our native language is Abyssal).
    I'm playing a Hybrid Warlock|Paladin in the role of a defender with a bit more control and hitting harder. He's a changeling (shhhhh, don't tell the party) who joined relativly recently when I realised I'd built my previous character into a corner. She was a spiked chain fighter who knocked enemies down and slid them around with basic attacks. It was a good trick, but a bit one dimensional.
    The new character is a professional adventurer/operator. When he joined the party he pulled out a Standard Adventurers Contract and set about working out how he could work with these people.
    He addresses requests and questions to the official party leader which makes both the player and the character squirm and everybody laugh - In that party the official party leader carries the can back home when we - "Make poor choices" while lacking the actual authority to improve our decision making.

It's interesting playing a defender with less hitpoints than everyone except our squishy controller. I've boosted my defenses a fair bit. And taken the Warlock PP 'Evermeet Warlock", and the 10th level utility which lets me teleport 1 square as a move action at will. So I spend as much time as I can up close to the enemy, with them marked and unable to see me. I'd love to combine this with a stealthy build, but you can't have everything. My character's idea of stealth is bluffing the NPC that what they saw was not what they actually saw!
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

Mainly I get paid to run 2 games and everything else is a series of 4e games on Roll 20.

If you want to play 4e, you should join us. We are a fun lot. Toss me a PM or check my advertisement over in the Recruitment section of the forums if you want to join us in our 4e games. Right now I'm most looking forward to starting a new crew on my Godless series around level 8, a new group on my Wanderer Series around level 12 and continuing my Series Queens which is level 20 or 22.

Edit: Worthwhile mentioning what I play in the Guild.

I have a level 7 Fey Beast Tamer Ranger|Cleric Storm Genasi named Holden. He is over-the-top excitable like a super excited kid-brother. Mechanically he just is really hard to hit and swings a bunch of times for low damage. Roleplay-wise it is fun to do some 4th-wall breaking stuff and talk in an excited sugar-rush type voice.

I have a level 12 Occultist Bard/ War Chanter Hobgoblin named Gelded Blackheart. I play him with the feel of an old-timey witch from the woods or voodoo caster that uses bones, grave dirt and entrails. Most of the doom and gloom is just for show though as his performance part of being a bard is to be a spooky storyteller. Mechanically grants attacks, gives out big buffs. Role-play wise it is fun to describe the witchy caster and he has several pet squirrels that he sacrifices to make his magic work.

I have a level 17 Guardian Bladesinger/War Wizard of Cormyr Storm Genasi named Rashid Teh'ahib Al'shahara. He is very loosely based on a character from the series Dresden Files (kinda what I imagine the character to have acted like if he was younger). Mechanically he has a powerful MBA with Beast-switch and does some minor control. Role-play wise it is fun to try my best at a vaguely arabic accent and play as a brilliant character who is a bit aloof and alien due to being raised on another plane.

My last character is a level 19 Yakuza Battlemind|Ardent/Paladin/Quicksilver Demon Tiefling named "Breeze". I play her as a powerful Empath who doesn't really understand religion very well but wants to. Mechanically she dances through the battlefield with crazy defenses and is nigh impossible to lock down with +4 or better to most saves and large benefits to the whole party when she saves. Role-play wise I find it challenging to play a good female character who gets close to stereotypes without actually being one. She is beautiful and ditzy but she isn't flashy or shallow. I just ran an adventure in the guild where the players got to see what it looks like within her mind and I look forward to the roleplaying opportunities in epic that she has been working towards for the past few levels (Topaz Crusader).
    Last edited by Wasteomana; 2018-02-05 at 07:42 PM.
    Interested in giving 4e D&D a shot? All players, new and old, are welcome to join us over at the Guild Living Campaign on Roll20. Feel free to post on the thread or PM me for more information.

You can also follow me on Youtube. I am currently working on a series of videos aimed at helping Dungeon Masters from all editions work at improving the craft that is being a DM with my series Beg Borrow and Steal.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I'm in the Guild alongside Wasteomana, so I figured I'd pop in and give my cast of characters.

You might notice a theme, because I recently decided to take a challenge to make a fire oped infernal prince tiefling for each role, which is why some of these are a little...unusual.

Filain Herrock, Infernal Prince Tiefling Paladin|Warlock/Fighter 5. Originally inspired by this story, Filain is a son of Mephistopheles, Lord of the Eigth, but ended up coming out an alright kid who generally tries to do the right thing, as taught by his aunt. He hasn't quite figured out that his dad is what most people would consider a "bad guy" (that is to come). In play, he's a naive kid with way more power than he knows how to control properly. Plans for paragon are to go into Avernian Knight, because damn does that PP work wonders with mass sanctions. The Defender of my Infernal Court.

Nalin Hellsong, Infernal Prince Tiefling Warlock|Wizard/Swordmage 7. Grew up as a nerd, going to wizard school, until the day he managed to trace his lineage back to Belial, Lord of the Fourth, at which point he resolved to take his magical talents and use them to combat the evils that had been wrought by his ancestors. In play, Nalin tends to be snarky, often providing constant backchat to his enemies as he maneuvers them around the battlefield with explosive gouts of hellfire. Going for the Master of Flame PP because I heard people liked big area control effects. The Controller of my Infernal Court

Thomas "Ash" Asher, Infernal Prince Tiefling Bard|Warlord/Rogue/Daring Blade 11. I had the opportunity to start one member of the court already in paragon, so I decided to make a Daring Blade build. Ash is a former pirate of the Realms, and a distant descendant of Mammon (though, Mammon being Mammon, Ash denies any relation). He was doing fairly well for himself until he realized that the various admirals of the Realms were all hunting his head personally for various reasons, and decided it was time for a change of scenery. He darts around the battlefield stabbing and tossing his dagger around, laughing and jesting as he does so, the classic swashbuckler. I actually MCed rogue to pick up the Daring Panache feat to allow him to have a good Acrobatics/Athletics despite having a poor Str/Dex. The Leader of my Infernal Court.

Vhaidara, The Mistress of Hellfire, Infernal Princess Tiefling Wizard/Master of Flame 17. Vhaidara is my longest running character in the guild. After growing up an orphan in Baldur's Gate who ended up addicted to numerous unspecified drugs, she eventually discovered a talent for enchantment, and took up adventuring as a way to fund an extremely hedonistic lifestyle. Never again would she be poor and broken on the streets. It worked pretty well until the day the Guild stormed a tower where a man was becoming a god, and she was part of the group that faced the nascent deity. The Guild prevailed, but in the death throes of the burning god, Vhaidara's body was consumed and she perished. When she was returned to life, she still burned with hellfire. This was me taking the chance to rebuild her after death, since I had made several mistakes (her being my first 4e character to reach a decent level) that were interfering with my enjoyment. So I made her into a pyromancer, specialized in laying down huge areas of destruction and hellfire. In combat, she revels in destruction, and out of combat, she enjoys life to the fullest, having tasted both the lows of life and the pain of death itself. Vhaidara is both the Striker and the senior member of my Infernal Court.

I'm also a DM within the Guild, and I have some plans for an adventure themed around the Infernal Court and their involvement in the politics of Hell that will hopefully solidify this year.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm playing a Zeitgeist campaign that's been pretty fun so far. We're at about the end of the third adventure thus far and are level 6. My character is a Genasi (Watersoul) Ensnaring Swordmage, and my party members are a Changeling Hunter (used to be O-ssassin), and a Kalashtar Cunning Bard. It's been fun, and we all have some interesting tricks and enough outside the box thinking to keep our DM on his toes.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

For my first 4e game in ages I'm going back to one of the classes at the heart of 4e - a Bravura Warlord.
    Currently in playtesting, now with optional rules for a cover based sci-fi shooter.
    Games for Harry Potter, the Hunger Games, and Silver Age Marvel. Skins for The Gorgon, the Deep One, the Kitsune, the Banshee, and the Mad Scientist