1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Could someone help me figure out how to use an "I-pod"?

To cut a long-ish story short, my mother got an I-pod for my younger sister for Christmas, but has no idea how to operate it or add/remove songs from it, so she gave it to me to try to figure out, since she seems to think I'm really good with technology... but... I don't know anything about this sort of device.
    Model number is A1320, it's purple, and seems to have five face buttons plus one on top... and that's about all I can figure out.
    Could someone help me out with finding, like, a manual?
    Nine Lives Disciple(PoW archetype), Quicksilver Lance(wip PoW archetype)
    Kitty over on Steam. Furries itP
    "Dahlia" in a certain fallen city
    Yamabushi(mystic archetype)

"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable." ~found on a badly translated store page on steam

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Could someone help me figure out how to use an "I-pod"?

Is it secondhand? If it's new, I would expect it to come with a manual.

Googling 'ipod manual' worked pretty well for me. You'll need to figure out what version and generation it is (Wikipedia may help there). And you'll need to interface to a computer (requiring a special USB cable, which, I hope, will have come with the device, but if not your local electronics store should be able to sell you one, they're not exactly obscure) to do anything much with it (like add songs).

Good luck,
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Also, you need to have iTunes installed on your computer to setup the ipod and transfer songs over to it.

If you have all this but are still having issues and live in a town with an Apple store, you can make an appointment at the Genius Bar and they will walk you through everything.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    To cut a long-ish story short, my mother got an I-pod for my younger sister for Christmas, but has no idea how to operate it or add/remove songs from it, so she gave it to me to try to figure out, since she seems to think I'm really good with technology... but... I don't know anything about this sort of device.
    Model number is A1320, it's purple, and seems to have five face buttons plus one on top... and that's about all I can figure out.
    Could someone help me out with finding, like, a manual?
    Hi, Togath. According to this page, you are dealing with the same version of the iPod which I own. A 5th generation iPod Nano. You can find the support page here. In addition to four labeled buttons on the clickwheel, and the the blank space in the center usually acts as an "Enter" button, you can slide your finger along the face of the clickwheel. The small switch on the top of it is a lock switch. While you can see the orange background, it is locked and will not respond to any button presses or to being shaken or rotated (there is an accelerometer inside the iPod).

When you are playing a song or a video (the 5th generation added video playback, as well as a camera and microphone on the back so you can take your own), you can use that middle button to change how the click wheel operates. You can swipe along it clockwise/counter-clockwise to increase/decrease the volume. Press the center button and now the clickwheel will allow you to advance or reverse on the timeline. Press it again and you can give what you're playing a star rating. A fourth press will cycle back to volume control. I don't really make use of star ratings, myself, but if you wanted to you could use them to more easily find your favorites while you're managing what's on the iPod. Moving onto that...

Quote Originally Posted by monomer View Post
    Also, you need to have iTunes installed on your computer to setup the ipod and transfer songs over to it.

If you have all this but are still having issues and live in a town with an Apple store, you can make an appointment at the Genius Bar and they will walk you through everything.
    Yep. Once upon a time, it was possible to manage the contents of an iPod with other media player software. However, with the 5th generation iPod Nano, iTunes is pretty much the only way to manage it. Once iTunes is installed, after you connect the iPod to your computer using a USB-to-30-pin Apple Dock connector, it should show up within iTunes. If you do not have a USB to Dock connector cable, you will need to find one. Also, I see there are 30-pin Samsung cables out there, but those are not compatible. The Apple Dock connector cable is not just how you transfer data, it is also how the iPod Nano charges its battery. By the way, the iPod doesn't ever really turn fully off. You can press and hold the Play/Pause button to put it into sleep mode, and the next time you press any of the buttons or unlock it, it will wake up. You'll likely only ever notice the longer time it takes to "start up" after you run the battery out once.

If it's the first time the iPod has been connected to iTunes, I believe you have to choose how to format it: either to be compatible with Macs or to be compatible with either Macs or Windows.

You can set the iPod to automatically synchronize what is on it with a selection of music, pictures or videos in iTunes, or you can choose to manage these manually. I prefer manual management to sychronizing. The directions for how to do so will depend upon which version of iTunes you are using. According to this Wikipedia page, iTunes 12.1.3.6 was the last version which worked on Windows XP and Windows Vista, so if you are using an older Windows PC, you may need to search Apple's site for that version.

If you do need to try the Genius Bar, but don't live near an Apple Store (or, for instance, a Best Buy which also sells Apple products), I see there are online chat, phone and email options here, as well as a Twitter account.