New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Chuk's Magik Shoppe Encounter

Last night I was playing 5e, but dug up the old 3.5e book of encounters. I slipped the encounter called "Chuk's Magik Shoppe" into my game. The group was tasked to kill a copper dragon. This was a dungeon designed up test the groups sanity and to see if the dragon lair could through enough oddities at them to detur them. The Encounter had our group cracking up and laughing a lot, I decided to share how it went to encourage others to try this encounter:

Party walks into a dragon's lair to kill a dragon, in the first room they see what looks to be a dingy magic shop, the bugbear Chuk is waiting for them. Chuk is wearing a blue robe with stars on it that look like they were drawn by a child.

Chuk begins his opening schpeil:
    "Welcome to Chuks magic emporium! We got oceans a potions, wads o rods, and rolls a scrolls!"

Samuel the half orc monk who's a bit of a barbarian activates his magic dagger and makes it spin in the air as a means to impress Chuk, Chuk simply says "let me show you a similar dagger that can fly as well!"

Before Samuel knows it he's up and across the room as Chuk grabs him and leads him to a display of daggers.

Samuel takes the dagger and hands it to his sorcerer friend Atriox. Atriox attempts to identify this item, it looks magical but he can't tell much more.

Chuk picks up on the difficultly and immediatly pulls out the goggles of minute seeing and says "perhaps these goggles will help you identify the magic in this item."

Atriox declines the offer.

Samuel gives an untrusting look to Chuk "how much?"

"Why it's only a measly 100 gold!"

Samuel offers "how about I sing you a song and you give me a discount!"

Chuk "certainly! Let me just deactivate my anti song field!" He quickly pushes a button under the table and says "that will be 100 gold for the deactivation fee!"

Samuel wails an awful tune and everyone begs him to stop. Chuk collects 200 gold from Samuel.

Atriox asks "do you have any other magical items?"

Chuk quickly proclaims "of course! Everything here is magic"

From behind him Samuel asks "what about this?"
    Without even looking Chuk replies "of course it is!"
    Samuel begins to point at everything asking if it's magical one by one, Chuk never bothers to look but always answers "yes yes yes!" His excitement grows with every answer.

Atriox decides to end the strange interaction by redirecting the conversion "ah- I'm looking for magical robes, do you have anything?" Before Atriox knows it, he's forcibly thrust to a rack of dingy mundane robes and a green one is thrown over his shoulders, it has crude smiley faces painted all over it. Atriox asks "will it make me more charismatic?"

Chuk doesn't miss a beat "of course! Go ahead tell a joke!"

Atriox "I-"
    Chuk interrupts with an eruption of laughter "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"
    at the sheer rediculous encounter, Samuel finds himself laughing uncontrollably as well.

Atriox decides he's had enough and takes off the robe.
    Chuk immediately stops laughing and says "that will be a 300 gold restocking fee!"

Atriox protests but Samuel pays Chuk without questioning it. He believes he's figured out just how to deal with this boggling bugbear.

Samuel produces a magical rainbow colored Warhammer he claimed on his last mission for killing an unholy wraith. "Would you purchase this powerful artefact?"

Chuk puts on the googles of minute seeing and pretends to appraise the item but he's obviously not giving it much thought "it's obviously a fake. But I'll give you 500 gold because it looks cool".

Samuel immediatly replies "ah, but that will be 500 gold for the inspection fee!"attempting to now turn the tables on Chuk.

Chuk doesn't hesitate one bit "that will about cover the entry fee you owe me for entering my shop"

Samuel "ah but your shop is on my land! And you never paid me the land tax!"

Chuk "but I sold you this land!"

Samuel "well there's an oil well on the land! So that will cover my fee"

Chuk produces a contract from his pocket that is signed "favorite patron" and he says "but in this contract I didn't include the sale of natural resources so I actually own that well!"

Samuel snatches the goggles of minute seeing from Chuk "this contract is a fake". When Samuel looks up from the contract Chuk is holding a bag of gold that was obviously pick pocketed from Samuel when he was looking at the contract.

"Alright you win this round, I just won't buy it". Chuk says pocketing Samuel's gold.

Samuel pauses for a second wondering what just happened then with one last clever twist says "... Hi I'm Chuk, welcome to my shop.!"

Chuk replies "sorry we don't have time for this we have to go kill a dragon" Chuk then pushes the party out of the shop from the way they came in, but instead of finding themselves out of the lair, they find themselves deeper in. Everyone takes a moment in sheer confusion to wonder what just happened, then shrugging they continue on their quest, leaving Samuel in the shop and taking Chuk with them to go kill a dragon.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Chuk's Magik Shoppe Encounter

That got a laugh out of me! Bravo!