Burn my flesh and scorch my soul
    Drown me or beat me or swallow me whole
    So long as it's in service
    To the empress of the moon."
    - Third Chant of the Lunar Guard, the Moon Empress' elite warriors

"I'm skeptical of your chances, but intrigued by the possibility."
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Quote Based Worldbuilding: Third Time's the Charm

"I'm skeptical of your chances, but intrigued by the possibility."

- Lady Putkammer to her secret lover, Yan Loewenhaupt, the bastard of Archduke Odo Essa, about his plan to turn his father into a herring.

“I killed myself so many times I don't even exist anymore.”

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Wampyr View Post

“I killed myself so many times I don't even exist anymore.”
    - Johann Falsestaff, former highwayman, now apprenticed to a con artist in Seramoore.

“Men of all sorts take a pride to gird at me. The brain of this foolish-compounded clay, man, is not able to invent anything that tends to laughter more than I invent, or is invented on me. I am not only witty in myself, but the cause that wit is in other men.”

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thorongil View Post
    - Johann Falsestaff, former highwayman, now apprenticed to a con artist in Seramoore.

“Men of all sorts take a pride to gird at me. The brain of this foolish-compounded clay, man, is not able to invent anything that tends to laughter more than I invent, or is invented on me. I am not only witty in myself, but the cause that wit is in other men.”
    -Atsu, inventor of Golden legion, an army of self repairing Golems serving Ankopolis

"Trust me Eric, dear child, even the dragons soar beneath the moon."
    Beautiful Avatar thanks to Gengy

Hangs out on the World building forums

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Spoiler: The gift that keeps on giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving some more
    Show
    Spoiler: Metric tons of giving
    Show
    Spoiler: Keep going
    Show
    Spoiler: Suprise
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lleban View Post
    "Trust me Eric, dear child, even the dragons soar beneath the moon."
    - Mother Adriel, Heiress to the Moon

"My dear man, can you honestly say with good conscience that the moral nature of our cosmos has never troubled you? The existence of Heaven, of course has been proven beyond doubt by the Celestial Reaches... but Hell? Point to Archeron all you like, but we alone are responsible for that accursed river. Even dragons were men once. No, the burden of sin lies firmly on our shoulders, and in many cases, we are too weak to bear it...

... Excuse me a moment, I need a drink."
    Last edited by D20ragon; 2018-02-07 at 11:33 PM.
    Washed up Gm in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenChord View Post
    This seems like a level of crazy-talk only you could accomplish.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mick View Post
    ... I've played a few games with D20ragon as GM in the past, and I have to vouch for his skill - he's an excellent writer, his world-building is top-notch ... and his games are, while sometimes too ambitious, some of the most fun to be had on these boards.
    avatar by the marvelous asdflove

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by D20ragon View Post
    - Mother Adriel, Heir to the Moon

"My dear man, can you honestly say with good conscience that the moral nature of our cosmos has never troubled you? The existence of Heaven, of course has been proven beyond doubt by the Celestial Reaches... but Hell? Point to Archeron all you like, but we alone are responsible for that accursed river. Even dragons were men once. No, the burden of sin lies firmly on our shoulders, and in many cases, we are too weak to bear it...

... Excuse me a moment, I need a drink."
    -Hessur Gect, chief advisor to the throne of Ankopolis, to Barcha Vorlnott, Black Cell Inquisitor, after the flooding of Ankopolis.

"Reach Heaven through violence."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
    -Hessur Gect, chief advisor to the throne of Ankopolis, to Barcha Vorlnott, Black Cell Inquisitor, after the flooding of Ankopolis.

"Reach Heaven through violence."
    God-Emperor Kuzzik Vi, in his book The Faithful Soldier: Why Conquest is a Spiritual Duty, after the colonization of Gyra.

"We'll see how your muscles avail you while playing a game of N'vivi with Death."
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    We live in the land of the internets, where arguing is never pointless.

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by 3WhiteFox3 View Post

"We'll see how your muscles avail you while playing a game of N'vivi with Death."
    Atsu Herald of the abyss to the sky rider Melquart

"Your attachment to honor is disgustingly irrational, but hey that's why I'm up here and Ankopolis is underwater."
    Last edited by Lleban; 2018-02-11 at 08:09 PM.

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39

"Your attachment to honor is disgustingly irrational, but hey that's why I'm up here and Ankopolis is underwater."
    Exalted Lady Illera III, Arch-Diviner Celestial, to Ivan the Thrice-Drowned.

"Thanks."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

10. - Top - End - #40

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    "Thanks."
    - The cold word of gratitude spoken by the Empress of the Moon to Victoria “Red Hand” Porte, the successor of Oculus “Evil Eye” Orlok, after she used celestial technology to steal Seramoore and all lands Eastward for the Empress for a reward of just one Tlatatoa egg.

“Lay me in earth and forget my sins, forget my fate, but remember me.”

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

“Lay me in earth and forget my sins, forget my fate, but remember me.”
    -The Tyrant of Kielin, on his deathbed. They did not follow his instructions.

"Thieves are not evil, just selfish, or bored. I know one who steals thing and returns them later just to confound people."

12. - Top - End - #42

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by BronzedDrake View Post
    -The Tyrant of Kielin, on his deathbed. They did not follow his instructions.

"Thieves are not evil, just selfish, or bored. I know one who steals thing and returns them later just to confound people."
    The thief Cantur Nackleberry, trying to convince a Judge to not sentence the entire Thieves Guild of Ankopolis to execution, it didn't work.

"Powerful, world-ending magical artifacts should really come with a warning label."
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    We live in the land of the internets, where arguing is never pointless.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by 3WhiteFox3 View Post
    The thief Cantur Nackleberry, trying to convince a Judge to not sentence the entire Thieves Guild of Ankopolis to execution, it didn't work.

"Powerful, world-ending magical artifacts should really come with a warning label."
    Victoria “Red Hand” Porte after mishandling Celestial technology in an early stage of training.

"Take me to Darû Lady Illera, please I need Tlatatoa, I need forgiveness!!!"

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

"Take me to Darû Lady Illera, please I need Tlatatoa, I need forgiveness!!!"

-The Tyrant of Kielin, the day before he died.

"You're out and about at all hours of the night! Chasing around rats and wenches. You're late to the shop in the morning, and you often leave before the day is half over!"
    The camel has a single hump; The dromedary, two;
    Or else the other way around, I'm never sure. Are you?

I am a self proclaimed map maker.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Dromedary View Post
    "You're out and about at all hours of the night! Chasing around rats and wenches. You're late to the shop in the morning, and you often leave before the day is half over!"
    ~ Excerpt from A toast delivered at the third (of seven) wedding of Julius Quickclaw, by his partner and coowner of the Halverston General Store, Jora Tirrisdottir.

"Before I was called madwoman or monster or savior, Devil's Whore or Angel's Bane, I had other names. You may not credit it, to see what I have become, but there were those who called me sister, daughter, friend."

16. - Top - End - #46

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Benthesquid View Post
    [B]~
    "Before I was called madwoman or monster or savior, Devil's Whore or Angel's Bane, I had other names. You may not credit it, to see what I have become, but there were those who called me sister, daughter, friend."
    - The last words of Victoria “Red Hand” Porte before she was hung from the walls of Dawnfort by Angels for crimes including use of stolen celestial technology, theft of Seramoore and all lands eastward, consorting with devils, numerous political assassinations, and most heinous of all; the release of a Tlatatoa into the Celestial Reaches.

“That King Yvrokistrax is an anomaly, isn’t he? I mean how many times in the last millennia have the dwarves, or anyone for that matter, sworn fealty to a halfling princess of no more than seven years?”

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

“That King Yvrokistrax is an anomaly, isn’t he? I mean how many times in the last millennia have the dwarves, or anyone for that matter, sworn fealty to a halfling princess of no more than seven years?”
    -Bob Liliquen, writer and truthseeker, during his investigations of the Dwarven court of Yratn.

"I can only pray that our children will be wiser than we, for our enemy is long lived and cunning. They must teach their children to fear the coming age so that they will pass that fear to their children. For our enemy, a thousand years may pass in the blink of an eye, and it is only through fear that our descendants may one day be prepared for the devastation yet to come"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

"I can only pray that our children will be wiser than we, for our enemy is long lived and cunning. They must teach their children to fear the coming age so that they will pass that fear to their children. For our enemy, a thousand years may pass in the blink of an eye, and it is only through fear that our descendants may one day be prepared for the devastation yet to come"[/QUOTE]

-Dargar Thunderbeard, reflecting on his failed rebellion against the Celestial Drake-King Eirthkiir

"Why do the halflings always poke their noses squarely where they dont belong?"
    Last edited by Lawful Good; 2018-02-20 at 10:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Lawful Good View Post

"Why do the halflings always poke their noses squarely where they dont belong?"
    Jared Narker, Ankopolis Thieves Guild enforcer, shortly after his arrest based on the investigation of Achille Dubois, famed halfling detective.

"Don't just stand their gawping! Like you never even saw the hand of God before..."
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

"Don't just stand their gawping! Like you never even saw the hand of God before..."
    Missie Bilger, the Leftmost Hand of God, To the Seeramorian refugees she saved from the Null.

"They Try to devide us horizontally, setting Seeramore against Ankopolis and Halflings against dwarves. But the real devide in this world is vertical! The Moon judging us from above, the Celestials coldly ruling is their courts and palaces, even the infinite wealth of the Demons below! Set aside these petty grievances, and unite! Down with the outsiders!"
    LGBTA+itP
    I'm dyslectic and English is not my first language, so I'll probably make a few spelling errors.
    the Third god of Ghysa, the Rainbow Prince(ss) (RIP), and None, Master of Shadows, and currently Nature's Sculptor, Nathall

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by DMwithoutPC's View Post
    Missie Bilger, the Leftmost Hand of God, To the Seeramorian refugees she saved from the Null.

"They Try to devide us horizontally, setting Seeramore against Ankopolis and Halflings against dwarves. But the real devide in this world is vertical! The Moon judging us from above, the Celestials coldly ruling is their courts and palaces, even the infinite wealth of the Demons below! Set aside these petty grievances, and unite! Down with the outsiders!"
    El Minio, Firebrand, exile, native of Daru and preacher to the forgotten.

"Hurry up, ya slackers, celestial treasure ships sail the sky once a millennium, we need to reach it before it reaches the moon."

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52

"Hurry up, ya slackers, celestial treasure ships sail the sky once a millennium, we need to reach it before it reaches the moon."
    Gerald the Sot, famed Pirate Captain, shortly before being murdered by his own crew - primarily due to their fear of eternal damnation for attacking a Celestial reliquary, and secondarily due to his extremely annoying accent.

"If you ask me, Sergeant Major, there are a lot of very peculiar blokes on this beach..."

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Benthesquid View Post
    Harla Jorsdottir, Warden of the Black Cells, to the Fivefold Angel, during the flooding of Ankopolis.

"Bend my back and break my will
    In service to the moon.
    Burn my flesh and scorch my soul
    Drown me or beat me or swallow me whole
    So long as it's in service
    To the empress of the moon."
    Traditional marching chant of Gladstone Raiding party's on the Gilden Shore

"Your Treachery speaks of the weakness in your blood. Now bleed it out, false priest

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1 View Post
    Traditional marching chant of Gladstone Raiding party's on the Gilden Shore

"Your Treachery speaks of the weakness in your blood. Now bleed it out, false priest
    Aaack sorry, didn't realise their was asecond page, thought this was the most recent post.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I will ignore the kinglinus1 post and continue the chain

"If you ask me, Sergeant Major, there are a lot of very peculiar blokes on this beach..."
    - from Tommis Ivers Black report, describing halfling tribes of the Rusty Shores

"Water only flows down, you know, never up. We shall change that now."