The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [Mutants And Masterminds] Support Character

So, new game is starting up, and I'm looking to revamp a Worm Dice character from a dead game into a M&M character, but I'm not sure how to handle it. The original power was three connected effects:

1) I'm aware of all potential teleport destinations within my teleport range.

2) Teleport adjacent to either a power user or active power effect within range (ie Teleport adjacent to Arsonist, or Teleport adjacent to a fire Arsonist made with his powers).

3) Upon arrival at teleport destination, I can choose to either buff or debuff one of the user's powers (so if I teleport to Arsonist, I can strengthen/weaken either his flame blasts or his rocket flight, but not both), or I can buff/debuff the power whose effect I teleported next to (so if I teleport to a fire Arsonist started, I can strengthen/weaken his flame blasts but not his rocket flight).

Most of how to handle this power is pretty straightforward, and looks something like this (ranks are example not actual):

Quote Originally Posted by Example
    Senses 10 (Power Awareness, Radius, Accurate, Acute, Analytical)

Teleport 10
    • Limited: Must end adjacent to power user or power effect
    • Linked: Weaken array

Weaken 5 (One Power)
    • Close Range
    • Alternate Power: Enhanced Trait

AP1: Enhanced Trait 5
    • Fades
    ...and that elipses is where I'm getting stuck in a couple different ways. I dunno how to make a buffing power that can buff any power in this edition, which is the goal, but also even if I can figure that out, buffing most powers results in breaking PL limits and I'm pretty sure I can't just do that. Any advice?

EDIT: IThe original power had the target powers get stronger/weaker in ways I didn't technically control (so maybe rank or range or crit chance or area/volume or whatever would change, and I'd have no idea how), but I'm probably not going to have it out of control for this version just because that's a bit harder to build for and also it's less fitting for the PL.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2019-07-06 at 10:26 AM.
    (WW/Mafia) Mansion Murder Mystery is recruiting!

Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Mutants And Masterminds] Support Character

Buffing is very difficult in M&M3e. You might want to look at Inspire, Favoured Environment, and Improved Critical.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

What does "aware" mean here? Accurate enough to safely teleport? Vaguely aware of movement and such? Effectively looking right at them?

(For the teleporting, you'll probably want to pair that with Detect Powers, Ranged, Radius, at the very least)

As Justignoreme noted, buffing is hard in M&M. The best way to make it work is adding versatility, rather than raw power. You can't really give the Arsenist a +2 bonus to attack and damage with his fire blast... but you could add Multiattack, or give him the ability to fly with flame jets, or something like that. Variable (Enhancing Powers) would be your effect there; you could add Uncontrollable if you wanted, tho you'd have to go over what that actually means with your GM.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2019-07-10 at 12:33 PM.

STaRS (and STaRS Lite)
    A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system, by me. Now officially released!

Grod's Guide to Greatness
    A big book of player options for 5e, by me

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'd actually argue that buffing is a darn solid tactic in M&M, but you kinda have to approach it differently than in most games. You're often not just boosting the target's bonus directly, because of caps. Instead, you want to give effects such as Aid, Team Attack, Deflect, and so on, or add more extras to the target's powers.

Variable is where it's at for general boosting powers. The construct I tend to use is what I call Variable (Improve Existing Traits). The short version of that is it lets you add points to the traits the target (you, by default; Affects Others can let you boost allies) already has. Now, Variable's a fairly powerful effect and needs to be adjudicated somewhat carefully, so I've written up a whole set of rules I use for Variable (Improve Existing Traits) to keep it in line. These aren't official rules, but I've found them to be an effective balance-point:

Spoiler: Variable: Improve Existing Traits
    Show
    Katie's Focusing Hand and Augmentation powers both make use of the Variable effect with the "Improve Existing Traits" theme. This use of Variable functions according to the following rules:

Allowed Traits: This Variable may grant targets additional Abilities, Stats, Effects, and Extras. It may also raise a target's existing skills, but may not directly grant a skill that the target has no ranks in (though it may do so indirectly by boosting Abilities). It may not grant Advantages by any means, even raising ranks of an advantage the target already has.

Boosting Rank: The simplest use of this Variable is to boost another trait's rank directly. It can only add a maximum of five ranks to a given trait. This limit generally applies as a maximum measure increase as well, even if the trait providing the boost increases multiple measure ranks per application (although this limit rounds up to the nearest actual rank). For example, it couldn't add more than two ranks of Rapid or Extended to a Senses power, because at X10 effectiveness per rank, each rank is effectively +3 distance/time ranks.

No trait or measure can be raised to a higher rank than the user's PL + 5, unless it is already equal to or greater than that rank. No trait can ever be raised higher than the user's PL + 10, regardless of its starting rank or the target's PL.

Effects that allow a choice of options for each rank, such as Feature, Immunity, Movement, and Senses, may have their ranks augmented, but only to add choices that are a natural expansion of or improvement to the original option, not for choices that are entirely distinct capabilities. For example, a character with a unique Detect sense could have it augmented with things like Extended, Rapid, Accurate, Acute, Analytical, Counters Concealment, and so on, but couldn't be given other special senses unless they're thematically related to or an expansion of the original. A character with Extended Vision could receive other visual enhancements, but not enhancements to other senses. A character with Immunity to Fire Damage could have it upgraded to Immunity to All Heat Effects (strictly an improvement) but not to Immunity to Energy (a substantial broadening). And so on.

Adding Extras: This Variable can add Extras to powers, as long as the target possesses those Extras somewhere in its native power list. However, it cannot add an Extra if doing so would bring a power's cost per rank above its rank. This Variable can add Features to powers if they clearly reflect an improvement on the power's function, not an entirely new capability, even if the target doesn't possess the Feature Extra.

Removing Flaws: This Variable can remove Flaws from powers, as long as the Flaw isn't considered "iconic" to the power. An iconic Flaw is one that in the opinion of the target's player, the power would either be unbalanced without, or just wouldn't be the same without. Limits and Quirks are often (but not always) iconic, whereas Flaws that simply represent the power being weaker or harder to use are generally not and can be removed.

Weakening Traits: This Variable may apply Flaws, including straight Reduced Trait Flaws, to gain additional points to spend boosting other traits, or to fine-tune the flavor of the boosts provided. It cannot more than double the total positive points in this way; for example, if using a 20 PP boost, no more than 20 points of Flaws will be counted towards the power's total. Any Flaws applied must be relevant in the current situation; reducing, say, a target's mental and investigative skills in the middle of a pitched battle won't fly, nor will Limited a power to only work on the specific type of enemy the target is currently fighting, and so on.

Alternates and Variations: This Variable may create variations of existing powers, basically spending points to create a full or partial duplicate of a power. The cheapest way to do this is to spend 1 PP to grant the target a rank of the Alternate Effect Extra, which this Variable may do even if the target doesn't otherwise possess that Extra, although the target must still swap to that alternate normally. This Variable can, however, also spend the points to duplicate a power outright, often called creating a variation of the power. Generally, this is done to duplicate a power outside of its current array, allowing the target to use it simultaneously with other powers in the array. VERY IMPORTANTLY, this Variable may only create alternate powers by taking one or more existing powers and fully or partially duplicating them in a separate array or slot. It may then spend normal Variable PP to further augment that alternate power if desired, but it can't freely reassign an array's full point value for one Variable PP. In short, this power IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR POWER STUNTS.

An alternate or variation may, however, make different "choices" than the original power that don't involve changing its Effects or Extras. For example, a variation of an Affliction can cause different conditions, a variation of a Nullify can neutralize different descriptors, a variation of an Area power can affect a different area type, etc.

Combining Powers: This Variable may combine a target's powers by adding the Linked Extra to them, even if the target doesn't possess the Linked Extra. This Variable cannot cause more than three Effects to be Linked together.

Sharing Powers: While this Variable may grant the Affects Others Extra (provided the target has it somewhere on its sheet), anyone who receives the benefits of a power due to that Extra cannot also receive a separate instance of this Variable, not can they receive the benefits of other powers that this Variable imbues with Affects Others.

Customizing Attacks: This Variable gets a special relaxation of some of its limits when boosting attack powers. It considers the Damage, Affliction, and Weaken Effects to be equivalent for all purposes. So if the target has a Multiattack Damage 14 power, it could create an alternate effect of it that is a Multiattack Affliction 14. She can also create the Affliction as a variation, allowing it to use the full Damage rank of 14 before counting the max +5 ranks for boosts (although PL limits still apply). It may add the Accurate Extra to any offensive power the target possesses, up to its highest attack bonus, before counting the max +5 ranks and regardless of whether the target possesses the Accurate Extra. Attacks bestowed must still be in theme for the target; a paragon gaining a Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated Affliction makes sense as basically boosting the strength of its punch so it stuns enemies, but granting it an Entranced/Compelled/Controlled Affliction wouldn't work.

This Variable may also bestow the Alternate Resistance Extra even if the target doesn't possess it. Whenever creating an alternate or variation of an attack power, it automatically defaults to the same resistance as the original was, applying Alternate Resistance at +0/rank if necessary. If this Variable Links an attack power to another, it defaults to the resistance it is being Linked to instead. Changing the resistance from the default always requires Alternate Resistance at +1/rank. If the target does not have any attack powers that target that resistance, Alternate Resistance must be applied again at +1/rank. This Variable may only apply Alternate Resistance (Dodge or Parry) if that is the default resistance of the power, and in that case it remains +1/rank at base (although in this case that would have already been paid for, but this means it can't be "bought down" by swapping to a different resistance). This Variable must apply the Alternate Resistance Extra once for each such condition, paying Variable points for each.

In short, giving a power a different resistance than it normally targets is +1/rank. Giving a power a resistance the target can't normally target is +1/rank. And giving a power a resistance that differs from a power it gets Linked to is +1/rank. All applicable modifiers apply.

Augmenting Flexible Powers: This Variable may augment powers gained through other uses of Variable, or from similar effects such as Inventor, Ritualist, Artificer, and even allied Power Stunts. However, it does not count any traits bestowed by those powers for purposes of determining what Effects and Extras it can bestow. It may in general directly boost Variable ranks, but not of itself or other Variable powers from the same user, either directly or indirectly. Because that's just silly. If any combination of boosts would result in an escalating loop of augments, it fails.

This Variable may boost the powers bestowed by a Metamorph, but it only counts the traits of that form for purposes of determining what Effects and Extras it can grant. It can't add additional ranks of Metamorph even if the target possesses the Extra because please that would be so broken it hurts.

This Variable may not boost the Summon power at all, because the very thought of it wants to make me curl up under the covers and weep. It may boost the traits of summoned creatures, however, but it only draws from the summon's Effects and Extras, not the master's, and certainly not those of other summons the master is capable of conjuring.

This Variable may boost powers in an array, but it does so individually. It can't add points directly to the array and from there improve each power by the same amount. Raising the effective value of the highest-cost power in the array doesn't inherent raise the values of other powers in the array. This Variable may add points directly to a Dynamic array, but those points can't be used to directly boost any powers within the array; they simply allow more of them to be used at once. This Variable may make an array Dynamic by adding Alternate Effect one additional time for each power made Dynamic.

If you affect powers only, you can just make it Improve Existing Powers. While that is strictly more narrow than Improve Existing Traits, it's still plenty versatile, so I wouldn't call it a Limit or anything.

Another concern is that Affects Others doesn't have target caps, which can cause balance issues with long-lasting effects, especially something as versatile as Variable. I like using Reduced Duration (Concentration); makes it last for a round, but then it ends unless you concentrate. Add Secondary Effect to make it last two rounds. Again, you don't have to do that, but it's a good idea for balance purposes.

Weaken tends to be pretty useless for weakening powers in M&M, because it weakens point values rather than ranks and it's pretty common for powers to have high costs/rank. Nullify is another obvious contender, but it's tough to get it to work in a kitchen sink setting, it's expensive to make it affect enough powers and last long enough to really do what you want, and once you do get it to that level it becomes broken because of how its resolution works. I like Limited Afflictions for that purpose. Nullify's good for countering active power effects, though.

So, for your guy, I'd do something like this (assuming PL 10):

Power Beacons: Senses 14 (Ranged Acute Radius Direction Sense* Distance Sense* Penetrates Concealment Extended 4 Detect [Powers]; Limited [Only for purposes of targeting teleportation]). {7}
    *We use Direction Sense and Distance Sense rather than Accurate because Accurate senses that are heavily extended are problematic, doubly so when they Penetrate Concealment.

Powerport: 40-point Array {40+1}.

Augmentative Appearance: Teleport 15 (Accurate, Increased Action [Standard], Limited [Must appear adjacent to a powered effect or individual]) Linked Variable 4 (Improve Existing Powers; Affects Others Only, Feature [May be targeted at an existing power effect to boost that specific instance of the effect], Reduced Duration [Concentration]).

Debilitative Appearance: Teleport 15 (Accurate, Increased Action [Standard], Limited [Must appear adjacent to a powered effect or individual]) Linked Affliction 10 (Impaired/Disabled/Transformed; Will; Progressive, Accurate 5, Limited [Powers Only]).

Add other extras/alternate effects/whatever to taste, but that'd be kinda the basic structure I'd use.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2019-07-11 at 02:35 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    What does "aware" mean here? Accurate enough to safely teleport? Vaguely aware of movement and such? Effectively looking right at them?

(For the teleporting, you'll probably want to pair that with Detect Powers, Ranged, Radius, at the very least)

As Justignoreme noted, buffing is hard in M&M. The best way to make it work is adding versatility, rather than raw power. You can't really give the Arsenist a +2 bonus to attack and damage with his fire blast... but you could add Multiattack, or give him the ability to fly with flame jets, or something like that. Variable (Enhancing Powers) would be your effect there; you could add Uncontrollable if you wanted, tho you'd have to go over what that actually means with your GM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quellian-dyrae View Post
    I'd actually argue that buffing is a darn solid tactic in M&M, but you kinda have to approach it differently than in most games. You're often not just boosting the target's bonus directly, because of caps. Instead, you want to give effects such as Aid, Team Attack, Deflect, and so on, or add more extras to the target's powers.

Variable is where it's at for general boosting powers. The construct I tend to use is what I call Variable (Improve Existing Traits). The short version of that is it lets you add points to the traits the target (you, by default; Affects Others can let you boost allies) already has. Now, Variable's a fairly powerful effect and needs to be adjudicated somewhat carefully, so I've written up a whole set of rules I use for Variable (Improve Existing Traits) to keep it in line. These aren't official rules, but I've found them to be an effective balance-point:

Spoiler: Variable: Improve Existing Traits
    Show
    Katie's Focusing Hand and Augmentation powers both make use of the Variable effect with the "Improve Existing Traits" theme. This use of Variable functions according to the following rules:

Allowed Traits: This Variable may grant targets additional Abilities, Stats, Effects, and Extras. It may also raise a target's existing skills, but may not directly grant a skill that the target has no ranks in (though it may do so indirectly by boosting Abilities). It may not grant Advantages by any means, even raising ranks of an advantage the target already has.

Boosting Rank: The simplest use of this Variable is to boost another trait's rank directly. It can only add a maximum of five ranks to a given trait. This limit generally applies as a maximum measure increase as well, even if the trait providing the boost increases multiple measure ranks per application (although this limit rounds up to the nearest actual rank). For example, it couldn't add more than two ranks of Rapid or Extended to a Senses power, because at X10 effectiveness per rank, each rank is effectively +3 distance/time ranks.

No trait or measure can be raised to a higher rank than the user's PL + 5, unless it is already equal to or greater than that rank. No trait can ever be raised higher than the user's PL + 10, regardless of its starting rank or the target's PL.

Effects that allow a choice of options for each rank, such as Feature, Immunity, Movement, and Senses, may have their ranks augmented, but only to add choices that are a natural expansion of or improvement to the original option, not for choices that are entirely distinct capabilities. For example, a character with a unique Detect sense could have it augmented with things like Extended, Rapid, Accurate, Acute, Analytical, Counters Concealment, and so on, but couldn't be given other special senses unless they're thematically related to or an expansion of the original. A character with Extended Vision could receive other visual enhancements, but not enhancements to other senses. A character with Immunity to Fire Damage could have it upgraded to Immunity to All Heat Effects (strictly an improvement) but not to Immunity to Energy (a substantial broadening). And so on.

Adding Extras: This Variable can add Extras to powers, as long as the target possesses those Extras somewhere in its native power list. However, it cannot add an Extra if doing so would bring a power's cost per rank above its rank. This Variable can add Features to powers if they clearly reflect an improvement on the power's function, not an entirely new capability, even if the target doesn't possess the Feature Extra.

Removing Flaws: This Variable can remove Flaws from powers, as long as the Flaw isn't considered "iconic" to the power. An iconic Flaw is one that in the opinion of the target's player, the power would either be unbalanced without, or just wouldn't be the same without. Limits and Quirks are often (but not always) iconic, whereas Flaws that simply represent the power being weaker or harder to use are generally not and can be removed.

Weakening Traits: This Variable may apply Flaws, including straight Reduced Trait Flaws, to gain additional points to spend boosting other traits, or to fine-tune the flavor of the boosts provided. It cannot more than double the total positive points in this way; for example, if using a 20 PP boost, no more than 20 points of Flaws will be counted towards the power's total. Any Flaws applied must be relevant in the current situation; reducing, say, a target's mental and investigative skills in the middle of a pitched battle won't fly, nor will Limited a power to only work on the specific type of enemy the target is currently fighting, and so on.

Alternates and Variations: This Variable may create variations of existing powers, basically spending points to create a full or partial duplicate of a power. The cheapest way to do this is to spend 1 PP to grant the target a rank of the Alternate Effect Extra, which this Variable may do even if the target doesn't otherwise possess that Extra, although the target must still swap to that alternate normally. This Variable can, however, also spend the points to duplicate a power outright, often called creating a variation of the power. Generally, this is done to duplicate a power outside of its current array, allowing the target to use it simultaneously with other powers in the array. VERY IMPORTANTLY, this Variable may only create alternate powers by taking one or more existing powers and fully or partially duplicating them in a separate array or slot. It may then spend normal Variable PP to further augment that alternate power if desired, but it can't freely reassign an array's full point value for one Variable PP. In short, this power IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR POWER STUNTS.

An alternate or variation may, however, make different "choices" than the original power that don't involve changing its Effects or Extras. For example, a variation of an Affliction can cause different conditions, a variation of a Nullify can neutralize different descriptors, a variation of an Area power can affect a different area type, etc.

Combining Powers: This Variable may combine a target's powers by adding the Linked Extra to them, even if the target doesn't possess the Linked Extra. This Variable cannot cause more than three Effects to be Linked together.

Sharing Powers: While this Variable may grant the Affects Others Extra (provided the target has it somewhere on its sheet), anyone who receives the benefits of a power due to that Extra cannot also receive a separate instance of this Variable, not can they receive the benefits of other powers that this Variable imbues with Affects Others.

Customizing Attacks: This Variable gets a special relaxation of some of its limits when boosting attack powers. It considers the Damage, Affliction, and Weaken Effects to be equivalent for all purposes. So if the target has a Multiattack Damage 14 power, it could create an alternate effect of it that is a Multiattack Affliction 14. She can also create the Affliction as a variation, allowing it to use the full Damage rank of 14 before counting the max +5 ranks for boosts (although PL limits still apply). It may add the Accurate Extra to any offensive power the target possesses, up to its highest attack bonus, before counting the max +5 ranks and regardless of whether the target possesses the Accurate Extra. Attacks bestowed must still be in theme for the target; a paragon gaining a Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated Affliction makes sense as basically boosting the strength of its punch so it stuns enemies, but granting it an Entranced/Compelled/Controlled Affliction wouldn't work.

This Variable may also bestow the Alternate Resistance Extra even if the target doesn't possess it. Whenever creating an alternate or variation of an attack power, it automatically defaults to the same resistance as the original was, applying Alternate Resistance at +0/rank if necessary. If this Variable Links an attack power to another, it defaults to the resistance it is being Linked to instead. Changing the resistance from the default always requires Alternate Resistance at +1/rank. If the target does not have any attack powers that target that resistance, Alternate Resistance must be applied again at +1/rank. This Variable may only apply Alternate Resistance (Dodge or Parry) if that is the default resistance of the power, and in that case it remains +1/rank at base (although in this case that would have already been paid for, but this means it can't be "bought down" by swapping to a different resistance). This Variable must apply the Alternate Resistance Extra once for each such condition, paying Variable points for each.

In short, giving a power a different resistance than it normally targets is +1/rank. Giving a power a resistance the target can't normally target is +1/rank. And giving a power a resistance that differs from a power it gets Linked to is +1/rank. All applicable modifiers apply.

Augmenting Flexible Powers: This Variable may augment powers gained through other uses of Variable, or from similar effects such as Inventor, Ritualist, Artificer, and even allied Power Stunts. However, it does not count any traits bestowed by those powers for purposes of determining what Effects and Extras it can bestow. It may in general directly boost Variable ranks, but not of itself or other Variable powers from the same user, either directly or indirectly. Because that's just silly. If any combination of boosts would result in an escalating loop of augments, it fails.

This Variable may boost the powers bestowed by a Metamorph, but it only counts the traits of that form for purposes of determining what Effects and Extras it can grant. It can't add additional ranks of Metamorph even if the target possesses the Extra because please that would be so broken it hurts.

This Variable may not boost the Summon power at all, because the very thought of it wants to make me curl up under the covers and weep. It may boost the traits of summoned creatures, however, but it only draws from the summon's Effects and Extras, not the master's, and certainly not those of other summons the master is capable of conjuring.

This Variable may boost powers in an array, but it does so individually. It can't add points directly to the array and from there improve each power by the same amount. Raising the effective value of the highest-cost power in the array doesn't inherent raise the values of other powers in the array. This Variable may add points directly to a Dynamic array, but those points can't be used to directly boost any powers within the array; they simply allow more of them to be used at once. This Variable may make an array Dynamic by adding Alternate Effect one additional time for each power made Dynamic.

If you affect powers only, you can just make it Improve Existing Powers. While that is strictly more narrow than Improve Existing Traits, it's still plenty versatile, so I wouldn't call it a Limit or anything.

Another concern is that Affects Others doesn't have target caps, which can cause balance issues with long-lasting effects, especially something as versatile as Variable. I like using Reduced Duration (Concentration); makes it last for a round, but then it ends unless you concentrate. Add Secondary Effect to make it last two rounds. Again, you don't have to do that, but it's a good idea for balance purposes.

Weaken tends to be pretty useless for weakening powers in M&M, because it weakens point values rather than ranks and it's pretty common for powers to have high costs/rank. Nullify is another obvious contender, but it's tough to get it to work in a kitchen sink setting, it's expensive to make it affect enough powers and last long enough to really do what you want, and once you do get it to that level it becomes broken because of how its resolution works. I like Limited Afflictions for that purpose. Nullify's good for countering active power effects, though.

So, for your guy, I'd do something like this (assuming PL 10):

Power Beacons: Senses 14 (Ranged Acute Radius Direction Sense* Distance Sense* Penetrates Concealment Extended 4 Detect [Powers]; Limited [Only for purposes of targeting teleportation]). {7}
    *We use Direction Sense and Distance Sense rather than Accurate because Accurate senses that are heavily extended are problematic, doubly so when they Penetrate Concealment.

Powerport: 40-point Array {40+1}.

Augmentative Appearance: Teleport 15 (Accurate, Increased Action [Standard], Limited [Must appear adjacent to a powered effect or individual]) Linked Variable 4 (Improve Existing Powers; Affects Others Only, Feature [May be targeted at an existing power effect to boost that specific instance of the effect], Reduced Duration [Concentration]).

Debilitative Appearance: Teleport 15 (Accurate, Increased Action [Standard], Limited [Must appear adjacent to a powered effect or individual]) Linked Affliction 10 (Impaired/Disabled/Transformed; Will; Progressive, Accurate 5, Limited [Powers Only]).

Add other extras/alternate effects/whatever to taste, but that'd be kinda the basic structure I'd use.
    That's more or less the path I ended up taking. The version I went with ended up more expensive partially due to taking the Weaken Powers approach (which is less optimal use of points because of it takes away points instead of ranks, but doesn't feel as cheesy as Transformed and also lets me build in the "drains my endurance and requires a rest now and then to recover" by having the power self-target with every use; this is also why I made the power-sensing and teleportation have fairly limited range and cost - partially to keep in line with the original ranges, but partially because that way if I bombed a save against my own Weaken, I couldn't port anymore, and so the senses/buff/debuff couldn't be used again until I recovered my 'porting stamina).

But it also ended up more expensive because I put a good bit of effort into keeping the teleport as a Move action so I could run and gun. I also tried to work it so that the Variable was continuous so that it wouldn't take up actions on my part or theirs to maintain the buff, but would just gradually drain away via Fades so that it's not just a permanent boost. If I was willing to turn the teleportation into a standard action I'd probably get a lot more milage out of the build since I could just make the buff/debuff Linked instead of Reaction. It's something I'll have to think about for future games, anyway.
    (WW/Mafia) Mansion Murder Mystery is recruiting!

Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!