New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: The Death of Golarion - Chapter 1: Pestilence

Spoiler: Laura
    Show
    More than a bit nervous before such esteemed personages, Laura takes a moment to gather herself. Also to mentally kick herself for not knowing who half of them were. "When I made my way to the surface, I was joined by a dwarf gunslinger headed the same way, telling that he was summoned by something to settle an old debt. Near the Wardstone, we encountered a stranger with a gun. The stranger shot the dwarf, who died to a single shot. He implied he knew the stranger. The stranger said that his name was Death. Then shot the runestone, which shattered into countless pieces. I... I ran. I hoped that I would have made my way here faster. I doubt I could have overcome the gunman Death." she says. The thoughts, and feeling of being somehow responsible for the events, as well as the shame of fleeing had been rattling in her head for days. She was glad to unburden herself so, and to pass ahead the information, hoping that the situation could yet be salvaged.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Ahkox
    Show

Ahkox's eyes widen. Just who was this man who could shrug off a blow as well as Makorock then drag him along with the next breath? He struggles to try and gain control of the man. "I seek not war for wars sake and yet you speak of using me. Why should I care for the plans of one who wants nothing more than slaughter for slaughter's sake?" He grunts out, reaching down to try and cease War's walking. This whole fight could have been avoided... But something happened. Something involving this man.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know it's probably useless but lets see what happens if I try to pin him.
    Grapple Pin (1d20+11)[29]

3. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Brianna and Korbach
    Show
    The two of them seem a little worse for wear when they finally arrive in Kintargo. But now, they can head to the Milani priest and get a cure!

Brianna searches around the town and finds a suspicious person waiting by the door of a tavern after a while. The suspicious person looks up. "Looking for help, are you? Well, if it's magic you seek, you'll need to do the high priest a favor first. There's a ruined building on the north end of the city. Legend says there's a special sword buried in a grave there. Bring that sword to me, and I will cure what ails you."

Show
    The group murmurs with disappointment. Whispers of Laura being a coward, even a traitor.

The queen clears her throat. "That is enough. Young lady, you have been through quite a lot. But if this...'Death' person is truly alive and on the run, he must be brought to justice. Thus, you shall travel to the Council in the nation of Andoran, and speak to them. Tell them of what has transpired here, and join the alliance of nations seeking to put an end to all of these strange occurrences."

Show
    The man lets himself be pinned. "Why? Because you'll get everything you want, and more. Honor. Glory. Blood. That's what you want, isn't it? That's all you are. Just a monster."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Show

"Perhaps... My fists are fit for much else than fighting." Ahkox rumbles. "But that still doesn't mean there are no other ways to earn glory. For example..." He pulls out a rope and begins to hogtie the strange man. "Bringin you back to Makorock aught to work out. Especially for what you did to Alicia... Where's your glory in that?"
    Last edited by userpay; 2018-01-02 at 06:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95

Show
    A black circle appears under Ahkox and War. The man chuckles. "Much as I'd love to watch you explain how you failed to restrain your second in command and ended up getting your entire company killed, I think that's my cue to leave. We'll talk soon, Hero of Destiny."

War disappears.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Show

For a brief moment Ahkox stares in distain at the now empty ground before what War said clicks. "Alicia!" He rushes over to her check on her. Ripping a piece of relatively clean cloth from one of the corpses to staunch her bleeding.
    (OOC: I'll also do the same for Maidrayne after if she hasn't bled out yet.)

7. - Top - End - #97

Show
    Alicia is successfully spared her fate, but she is the only person who Ahkox brings back to the town. Makorock frowns as the half-orc returns in one of the most disgraceful defeats for a commander imaginable. His entire squadron, routed. His diplomacy mission, completely shot. And an enemy he let escape literally from between his fingertips.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Show

Ahkox relays what information he could about War. How after he showed up Mintos started fighting against orders, how easily Alicia had been thrown aside, how the man so casually strolled around despite having a half-orc tenaciously clinging to him, and his subsequent magic usage even while in the midst of being bound. He doesn't make any excuses. Ahkox had completely and utterly failed in his task and the knowledge burns a pit in his chest. Perhaps the only silver lining would be if Maidrayne had reported about War to the rest of her people but without another foray out that was uncertain.

9. - Top - End - #99

Show
    Makorock frowns. "My strongest warrior is dead, I have to inform ten wives that their husbands will not be coming home tonight, one of my chief advisors is disgraced and the other is lying in a hospital bed. ...I am afraid that no amount of potential will excuse this failure, my friend. You are banished from Korvosa, effective immediately."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Question Re: The Death of Golarion - Chapter 1: Pestilence

Show
    Laura bows to the queen (or responds as is appropriate If bowing isn't). "Of course, your majesty." she says. The words of the queen cause further doubt. She musters her courage and asks, "Has there been trouble elsewhere, your majesty?"

Observing the proper protocols, she awaits her leave to go do her duty. Andoran was, by her shaky geography knowledge, quite far. She would need to hire a carriage,
    or else obtain a mount. Which she will proceed to do.

11. - Top - End - #101

Show
    The queen nods solemnly. "Reports are coming in from Druma, Varisia, Cheliax, and elsewhere. Sightings of strange individuals, mysterious powers and deadly consequences. It would seem that our whole world is under attack, but I do not think anyone would question that the attack on the wardstone is the most serious. Kaiser."

The general stands up at attention.

"You are to make a stand at the Worldwound. Keep as many demons from escaping Mendev as you can. Kill any that cross the border. I will join you on the front lines."

Kaiser salutes her. "Your Majesty! I am...not worthy..."

The woman shakes her head. "This is no time for formalities, Rhys. You and I must stand together and fight off these demons, for the sake of the world. While we do that, the young lady here can go to Andoran and do her best to put a stop to the evils that have infiltrated this world."

One of the advisors clears his throat. "Your Majesty, even with the two of you combined, I estimate you could only survive a number of months..."

"If that long. And yet, that is time that the people of the world have to prepare and fight back. I will not let the demons overrun Golarion. I willl give my life in service to my nation and my people."

Kaiser nods firmly in agreement.

Laura can sense the dread in the air. Everyone in this room is going to die, except her. Unless she manages to find this Death person in time and stop him.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Stakes were rising. Laura nodded, at loss for words. A number of months before the Worldwound would swallow the world. A few months to secure aid for Mendev. It would take a miracle. But she had faith. Kaiser was all but invincible. A pillar of constant and unfathomable strength in Laura's life, a constant presence. He couldn't just go away.

"I will be on my way." Laura says, trying to force herself to stay strong, stay calm. "Every moment counts." She tries to find the right words of parting. Not "good luck". Luck should never be a deciding factor in a fight. Not "goodbye" or "farewell". They sounded too final, and she was resolved to see Kaiser again. Eventually, she finds the words. "Til next we meet." she says to Kaiser, "Serving you is a privilege." An answer like her. Complicated, but superficially simple. She didn't want a long goodbye. Maintaining composure was already hard enough

She takes her leave, to secure the swiftest transit to Andoran. (unless stopped).

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Korbach
    Show
    The trip had been difficult for both of them, Korbach was sure of that. He had felt himself growing weaker, trapped in the carriage as they were. And he saw the sickness taking hold of Brianna, too. That pained him, although he wouldn't want her to know it. She was always full of life. Full of herself, too, if the truth be told. He smiled at that, in spite of the weakness.

After paying the carriage driver, he follows Brianna into Kintargo. She quickly locates a suspicious person offering healing in exchange for a sword outside a tavern. Kor looks him over, trying to judge if this is a legitimate offer, or just a huckster who read the desperation of their plight and saw an opportunity to make a copper.

"My pardon, sir. But I am loathe to trust the word of a random person standing outside an unknown tavern to keep his word when my life is in danger.
    What reason do we have to believe you even have the capacity to 'cure what ails us',
    as it were? Particularly when there is a temple to Milani right here in Kintargo where we can recieve said healing?"
    Korbach looks at the person suspiciously. "And why would you ask two strangers to seek this sword, instead of someone local?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception (looking for a holy symbol or other distinguishing mark that would identify the suspicious person as a priest or healer) (1d20+2)[6]
    Sense Motive (to assess the truthfulness of this person's words) (1d20+1)[17]
    Last edited by Kvard51; 2018-01-03 at 11:06 AM.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104

Show
    The man chuckles. "Well, I'm desperate, so here. This one's on the house."

He raises a holy symbol and says a short prayer under his breath. Korbach feels some color return to his cheeks, though the illness has not yet left him.

Show
    The man casts lesser restoration on Korbach (DC 17 Spellcraft check will identify the spell as it is being cast) and heals (1d4)[2] Con damage that Korbach has taken.

"So there, there's some proof that I can do this. And I dunno what kind of crock you've heard, but there's no 'temple' to Milani here. We are a devout Asmodean town, just like the rest of the Empire. You better be careful with your words, if you know what's good for you."

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    The man is hinting that Milani is an underground deity worshipped in secret in Kintargo. It's possible that he is a priest of Milani himself, though Korbach did not get a good look at his holy symbol. But it definitely seems to be the case that if they go around asking for Milani to random passerby they might get in trouble.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    Show
    The man chuckles. "Well, I'm desperate, so here. This one's on the house."

He raises a holy symbol and says a short prayer under his breath. Korbach feels some color return to his cheeks, though the illness has not yet left him.

Show
    The man casts lesser restoration on Korbach (DC 17 Spellcraft check will identify the spell as it is being cast) and heals (1d20+8)[25] Con damage that Korbach has taken.

"So there, there's some proof that I can do this. And I dunno what kind of crock you've heard, but there's no 'temple' to Milani here. We are a devout Asmodean town, just like the rest of the Empire. You better be careful with your words, if you know what's good for you."

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    The man is hinting that Milani is an underground deity worshipped in secret in Kintargo. It's possible that he is a priest of Milani himself, though Korbach did not get a good look at his holy symbol. But it definitely seems to be the case that if they go around asking for Milani to random passerby they might get in trouble.
    "Ah, thank you. I would be happy to recover the item you seek,
    but only if you cure my friend here. She is young and not as hearty as I am, and I would see her taken care of before I take on this recovery mission for you."
    Kor looks gravely at Brianna as he negotiates with the priest, hoping she can be healed no matter the outcome of this "quest".

Show
    Spellcraft to identify the spell (1d20+8)[25]
    Diplomacy to influence the priest (1d20+0)[10]

"As to the rest, I apparently recieved some bad information.
    I apologize for any offense I might have given."

“It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

Show

16. - Top - End - #106

Show
    The man shrugs. "I only prepared one remove disease spell today, but if you stick around I can take care of you both by tomorrow. Just bring me the sword before the end of the day and you can consider the service rendered."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Brianna
    Show
    Brianna breathed a sigh of relief after the strangers magic. They found it was possible that what they were after was possible at least. In exchange for a sword in some house? Might as well go get it. Better than just wandering around aimlessly; even if the stranger WAS a priest of Asmodeus, he'd made an offer that was fairly simple, and manageable as far as contracts from the diabolists went.

Brianna turned to cough; she hadn't felt well during the journey, but beyond mild symptoms, hadn't lost a step yet. Korbach looked decidedly worse than she did, and probably felt that way until the stranger used his magic. She internally thanked her fiendish heritage (she didn't know if it made a difference to the disease or not, but it was one of the few times she was grateful for her heritage).

"As you wish; we'll fetch your sword. Which building specifically is it?" Brianna asked. Korbach feeling healthier would be a boon in case something went wrong.

Spoiler: Dice rolling shenanigans
    Show
    (1d20)[14] Sense Motive on the stranger
    (1d20+8)[9] Spellcraft to identify the spell
    (1d20+1)[13] Perception to see if I can spot the focus/holy symbol used.
    (1d20+5)[18] If I DO manage to see anything, Knowledge Religion to identify.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    GM'ing is like handling a roasting pork shoulder; the adventure is long, fraught with peril, and when done well delicious in its payoff.
    It's best with friends, something to drink (alcohol if you need/want), jokes and a good sense to accept and enjoy everything with one another for the full experience.
    Mistakes get made sometimes, laugh it off, make up, and go kill the monster to take his loot.

18. - Top - End - #108

Show
    The man gives the pair the address and sends them on their way.

An eerie wind is in the air when the two approach the specific building. They are almost outside of the city at this point, and they haven't seen another person for several blocks. The building appears to be empty, but it is definitely ruined. The ceiling has collapsed, most of the bricks on the outer wall have holes or rot in them, and according to the priest, beyond this outer wall is a graveyard inside the building.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Show

Ahkox starts as the punishment is laid before him. It wasn't such a strange punishment amongst the orcs yet it was altogether worse when you consider the city verses a tribe. "As you say. But I will see this set right and justice rendered for the dead, revenge will come to this 'War' creature. I swear it." Ahkox says, bowing his head, before turning on his heel and leaving Makorock's presence.

Outside Ahkox's shoulders slump. What War had said about loss certainly rang true nor did he have much in the way of tracking the creature down besides potential conflict. Perhaps Alicia would have an idea if she was awake... His steps turning to take him to the hospital for one last meeting with his friend.

20. - Top - End - #110

Show
    The clerics have finished with Alicia by the time Ahkox arrives. She is sitting up in bed, looking dazed but not in danger. Her head is wrapped in bandages that have bled red already.

"Ahkox..." she says as he approaches. "Are you alright? You're not hurt, are you?"

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Show

Ahkox smiles ruefully. "Physically I am alright..." He sighs leaning against the wall. "But I feel as though I am worse off for it. I failed Alicia. I was completely and utterly trounced and with nothing to show for all this death I deserve my punishment. This city being my home no longer is the price I pay for that failure."

22. - Top - End - #112

Show
    As Laura is leaving the town, her hero calls her name from behind. "Laura!"

When she turns, she sees the elf approaching her. He stops in front of her and gives her a warm smile. "Young lady, I need to tell you something. I am...very proud of you. Both of your growth as a warrior, and of your determination to see this new challenge through. I know you will overcome everything that is put in your way. I believe in your abilities, and I am prepared to place my fate in your hands with confidence."

He draws his sword. "Kneel."

After she does so, he taps her on her left shoulder, and then on her right, with the flat of his blade. "I hereby dub thee - 'Dame Laura of House Eide'. You are an official knight of the Mendevian court, in service to Her Majesty Queen Galfrey. Take this, and may Iomedae watch over you."

Kaiser places his sword in Laura's hands.

Show
    Kaiser's weapon is a +3 axiomatic cold iron falchion that has a +4 bonus to the DC of any effects that occur when the wielder critically strikes with it (usually feats that have the Critical Focus feat as a prerequisite).

Show
    Alicia sits up. "You've been banished? ...Then, I'm going with you!" she exclaims, her eyes suddenly full of a surprisingly orc-like spirit.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2018-01-03 at 01:44 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    Show
    The man gives the pair the address and sends them on their way.

An eerie wind is in the air when the two approach the specific building. They are almost outside of the city at this point, and they haven't seen another person for several blocks. The building appears to be empty, but it is definitely ruined. The ceiling has collapsed, most of the bricks on the outer wall have holes or rot in them, and according to the priest, beyond this outer wall is a graveyard inside the building.
    What a dump. We'll need to be careful in there.

The wind on his face gives Korbach confidence. Almost like it was sending him in.

"We might as well get to this, Brianna. The sooner done, the sooner you are cured. Let's find the grave and the sword." Kor speaks words of eldritch power and a shimmering barrier of force appears around him for a brief moment before settling onto his clothing and disappearing. He begins walking towards the nearest apparent entrance.

Show
    Cast Mage Armor on himself.

Last edited by Kvard51; 2018-01-03 at 01:26 PM.

Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Show

It seemed today would be a endless series of surprises for the half-orc, his eyebrows shooting up at Alicia's outburst. "Are... Are you sure!? You're blameless in this. The fault lies with me and given that I plan on hunting this... 'War' creature I know not if I can protect you."

25. - Top - End - #115

Show
    Alicia reaches out for his hand and squeezes it. She takes a deep breath, then starts speaking slowly, and in a manner that suggests she has no idea what she is doing. "(Orcish) You saved my life. I must honor that debt."

Ahkox has never heard Alicia even attempt to speak Orcish before, let alone constructing whole sentences.

Spoiler: Korbach and Brianna
    Show

Korbach enters the ruins and finds a small graveyard. Sitting in front of the grave is...a woman?

Spoiler: Woman
    Show

She appears to be a half-elf, and she's holding a stuffed rabbit. She looks up at Korbach as he walks inside. "Ah! It's you! The Hero of Destiny!"

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Show

A small smile crosses Ahkox's face. "To be so willing to tie your bonds to a failure such as I..." He squeezes her hand. "(orcish)Thank you..."

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    It was everything she had aspired for. Had the circumstances been other than what they were, it would have been grounds for great celebration. Right now though, Laura solemnly accepts the blade. She knew it by sight, and now felt it's weight in her arms. She had never dared to dream of actually wielding the sword, but here it was in her hands. She hesitates for a moment, in the grips of inner turmoil. She smiles, beaming with pride for being so honoured. Even the current situation could not wash away the feeling of achievement, of years of training and struggle finally bearing fruit. She makes sure to remember that feeling, for when the hour was truly darkest. She was no longer just a squire. She feels the need to say something here, to mark the moment. Something to affirm her respect for Kaiser, her wishes for his well-being and her intent to keep growing. "I am honoured" she says, pausing to lend weight to her words, "I'll show you what I've learned when we meet again"

28. - Top - End - #118

Show
    Alicia nods slowly. "Well, then. If you want to find out what's going on with that man, War, we should attend the conference gathering in Andoran."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Brianna
    Show
    Brianna took an instinctive step behind Korbach, her mind flying to her spells and hexes. The devils of Westcrown were one thing. She grew up with that culture. But graveyards, zombies, skeletons, vampires and mummies!? Her magic was largely useless on such things. The girl didn't seem like a zombie or skeleton, but that didn't rule out vampire or maybe an unwrapped mummy? Her skin looked intact, and why carry a bunny around unless it's like a piece of candy? Probably a vampire in disguise.

Brianna seemed to recall thinking that undead radiated necromancy magic, so she poked out from behind Korbach and launched the spell, concentrating as long as she needed while Korbach drew it's attention.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Detect Magic cast and held as long as I can.
    (1d20+8)[16] Spellcraft check to identify any auras (we're looking for necromancy for proof that this girl is undead, but any others will be useful to notice)
    (1d20+4)[14] Stealth to try to be sneaky and hide behind Korbach
    Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    GM'ing is like handling a roasting pork shoulder; the adventure is long, fraught with peril, and when done well delicious in its payoff.
    It's best with friends, something to drink (alcohol if you need/want), jokes and a good sense to accept and enjoy everything with one another for the full experience.
    Mistakes get made sometimes, laugh it off, make up, and go kill the monster to take his loot.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    The half-orc rubs his chin. "A conference eh? There other fellows like that one poppin up lately or is it just the place to hear rumors on that sort of thing?"
    Know Geography (trained) (1d20+1)[21]