New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Death of Golarion - Chapter 1: Pestilence

Quote Originally Posted by userpay View Post
    Ahkox's eyebrow raises as the tielfing's demeanor pulls an abrupt turn upon being confronted. "Ain't here to scare you lad. I've heard rumors of an attack upon a village you were involved with that sounds a mite similar to a situation I myself ran into. Was hoping we might compare some notes or somesuch." The half-orc says, crossing his arms.
    Uh, sorry. You startled me is all. Mal tugged at his sleeve, not making eye contact. Did Lycanthropes attack your village as well? A distinct note of dread and fear had crept into Mal's voice.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Colossus in the Playground

The man is confused for a moment and squeezes gently to figure out what he's grabbing before his eyes snap open and he leaps back from Brianna.

He glares at Laura. " What's it to you, blondie? This crazy devil lady attacked me twice for no reason!"

A gruff male voice shouts, "Hey! What's going on over there?"

The man swears under his breath and dashes away. Brianna notices something shiny fall to the ground.

A guard arrives and frowns. "What is going on here? You!" He points at Laura. "This is a very crowded street. Kids play out here. Why are you carrying a dangerous weapon in this area?"

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Blondie?" Laura asks, indignant, "She believes you a..." she pauses and looks back at Brianna. Her eyes widen a little. "We'll talk later" she says imperiously, before turning back at the man. Her focus is truly legendary. "As I was saying, she... Laura starts before being interrupted by the guards this time.

Really not in the mood for more interruptions, with enough on her mind with the revelation of a fiend in their midst, a possible thief and now a guard going after her instead of the other two, she rounds up on the guard. Instead of her carefully worded response, she stammers initially at the incredulous accusal "Wha... Me... I. My weapon is sheathed. Do you imagine it will leap out on its own and start attacking street-goers?" she asks. "Or is carrying weapons for purposes of defence illegal here?" she quickly turns to Camille, "It isn't, right?" She turns back at the guard. "I apologise for my manners. I have not been in the city for long and recent times have not been easy. But don't you have a more pressing concern than a woman carrying a sheathed blade?" she asks, turning back at the now missing man.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Brianna watched the man run off into the streets. She contemplated another spell, but decided against it with the knight and probably a guard over her shoulder.

Brianna grabs the shiny bauble the man dropped and pockets it (as though she originally owned it and it was just knocked loose). Brianna looks around cautiously for Korbach to make sure he didn't see where the mans hand had landed (she shuddered to think about the magic he might unleash; she knew wizards were fans of lightning bolts and fireballs. Brianna had no doubt Korbach would take a certain vengeful pleasure in grabbing the man with shocking hands in turn for groping his 'sister.' She turns to the guard as cheerily as she can muster.

"Apologies sir, that man fell off the roof and landed on me. Lady Knight here was checking on us and making sure we were okay. I do believe that she is the important speaker in front of the People's Council later today if the rumors are to be believed, and it would be a shame if she were delayed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    GM'ing is like handling a roasting pork shoulder; the adventure is long, fraught with peril, and when done well delicious in its payoff.
    It's best with friends, something to drink (alcohol if you need/want), jokes and a good sense to accept and enjoy everything with one another for the full experience.
    Mistakes get made sometimes, laugh it off, make up, and go kill the monster to take his loot.

5. - Top - End - #185

The guard frowns at Brianna's statement and turns his attention to Laura. "Ah...I see. Very well, then. Just make sure you don't draw your weapon except in cases of emergency. Have a good day, ma'am." He turns and walks off.

Brianna can see now that the shiny object dropped by the man is a silver ring of some kind.

6. - Top - End - #186

NecromancerGuy

Brianna breathes a sigh of relief as the guard carries on his wayward day. She looks at the knight cautiously and quickly gestures to Korbach further up the street.

"Sorry, we should get back. We're all ok." Brianna shrugs as she hastily power-walks back to Korbach; praying the frazzled knight either hadn't seen the horns/tail or had forgotten them.
    GM'ing is like handling a roasting pork shoulder; the adventure is long, fraught with peril, and when done well delicious in its payoff.
    It's best with friends, something to drink (alcohol if you need/want), jokes and a good sense to accept and enjoy everything with one another for the full experience.
    Mistakes get made sometimes, laugh it off, make up, and go kill the monster to take his loot.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I wouldn't dream of doing otherwise" Laura replies to the guard. She listens to Brianna's explanation, taking her words with a grain of salt after the accusation for her heritage. Devilspawn, she had been called. Laura calls out after Brianna. "Wait! Wait." she shouts the first time, then softens her voice. "The things we discussed... they have not gone anywhere. I need to know what you know. You might need to know what I know too."

8. - Top - End - #188

NecromancerGuy

Brianna stops and turns to the knight once she gets back to Korbachs side, stepping just slightly behind the half-orc as though using him as a shield between herself and Laura.

"You'd have to ask him;" She says, gesturing to Korbach. "He's the 'Hero of Destiny' after all. I'm just here to make sure he stays out of trouble."

Brianna turned her gaze to Steve, likely standing bewildered by the series of events. "Surely there's a song or something for such tales. Can you think of one Steve?"

9. - Top - End - #189

Steve looks up with a bit of surprise. He's holding a bowl of ice cream, which he seems to have gone and purchased while the group was dealing with the strange man. "Huh? A song? Sure."

He clears his throat.

"Why is it that girls always go for the bad boys?
    Why is it she can't resist his charm?
    Why is it that when he gives her the death stare...
    She smiles and opens wide her arms?

Why is it that girls always go for the bad boys?
    Why is it she thinks that he can change?
    Why is it that when he commits
    Yet another crime
    She's the only one who thinks it's strange?
    "

10. - Top - End - #190

NecromancerGuy

Brianna unconsciously rubs her chest where the strange man had fallen on her as Steve sings his song. She glares at Steve angrily as she does so; if there was any doubt about her heritage before, her expression now could easily be described as "fiendish." She takes a step towards the strange catfolk, brandishing her long claw like nails with one hand as she does so. Brianna pokes him hard in the chest, enough to let him know she wasn't amused.

"NOT. ABOUT. THAT."
    She stammers icily. "About him!" And she points back towards Korbach.

As she turns to face Laura again, Brianna's expression turns to one of momentary horror as she has a terrifying realization; if Steve saw the mans hand land where it did, does that mean Korbach did too? And why was she upset over it? Something to ponder later she reasoned.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

"Not lycanthropes... But I have had people tearing each other apart even against orders or common sense, like a sort of madness, and heard rumors of similar sort elsewhere." Ahkox sighs at the memory then sticks out his hand. "Ahkox, formerly of Korvosa. My companion here is Alicia."

12. - Top - End - #192

Steve shrugs. "I assume there's a song about Korbach as well. But if there is, I don't know it. Wonder where Soul was off to in such a hurry, though?" He glances in the direction of where the man ran off. "Anyway, you two should probably ask Laura about the strange illness while you still have time. She's about to get some bad news regarding her old troop."

A man stumbles out of the crowd and limps towards Laura. "Dame Eide! D-Dame Eide, I bring news from the front!"

Steve raises an eyebrow. "Wow, he's faster than I thought he'd be."

The man slumps over. It's clear that he has a very badly healed broken leg, like he broke it and then ran on it for weeks.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by userpay View Post
    "Not lycanthropes... But I have had people tearing each other apart even against orders or common sense, like a sort of madness, and heard rumors of similar sort elsewhere." Ahkox sighs at the memory then sticks out his hand. "Ahkox, formerly of Korvosa. My companion here is Alicia."
    Mal hesitates for a moment before weakly grabbing the half-orc's hand. Malrut of... uh, just Malrut. And this is Rimok. His face tightened as he heard of the troubles Ahkox and Alicia had faced. That sounds somewhat familiar. The lycanthropes attacked the village in a peculiar manner. They would attack savagely but never kill anyone. This, of course, caused the number of lycanthropes to swell. And then- Mal's words caught in his throat. He couldn't bring himself to mention the other thing he knew. Not yet. He rationalized that he shouldn't say it out in public, but that was a lie he told himself. He just wanted to forget it.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Ahkox's grip is nearly crushing, clearly more accustomed to similar grips before he withdraws his hand."Were they... Spurred on by something perhaps?" He tries asking. "Or maybe you need a stiff drink to help tell the tale?"

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Mal shook his hand, trying to disperse the pain. I... don't think alcohol will help. He paused, seeming to mull over what he was going to share. I don't know if... this being had anything directly to do with the lycanthropes. Not for sure. But she said some peculiar things to me before disappearing.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

16. - Top - End - #196

Alicia frowns. "'She'? She who?" she presses for more details.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Mal's eyes darted back and forth, fearful that someone was eavesdropping. Why he wasn't sure, but he was. I don't feel... comfortable discussing this. Openly. Or with strangers, to be frank. His gaze lingered for a moment on the duo. I've told you some of what I've experienced but you've barely spoken a word of yours. Fair is fair, yes?
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

18. - Top - End - #198

NecromancerGuy

Brianna turned with a long glare at Steve.

"What do you mean Soul? You know that clown!?

At the sight of the wounded Soldier, Brianna cursed her own haste in using her healing spell for the day. She raced to his side, looking for something to splint the leg with if it's not already done so, using probably a pipe, stick, and her own cloak if necessary as the tourniquet. She looks at Laura and Korbach for further help to his concerns.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d20+2)[18] Heal check to help, counting -2 for improvised tools.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Deciding it was time to cut the banter and get on to serious talk, Korbach starts to speak. "Lady, perhaps we can go somewh..."

He cuts off abrubtly as a young man appears out of nowhere, falling off a wall. As Brianna runs to the man, Kor scans the crowd for anything that appears dangerous, ready to cast an incapacitating spell if needed.

Show
    Perception while scanning the crowd: (1d20+2)[5]

As Brianna begins to argue with the young man, Korbach almost steps in. He knew full well what Brianna was like when she was wound up, and the invisible climber seemed to have her wound tight. But he decided the argument presented a useful distraction, and took advantage of it to study the knight and her companion in more detail. I wonder what her angle is?

Show
    Sense Motive on Laura and Camille for a hunch:
    Laura (1d20+1)[9]
    Camille (1d20+1)[7]
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Laura rushes to aid Brianna help the messenger. "I'm here" she says, anxious for information, but her need for news from Mendev was pushed to the side. "You have done your duty well, and earned rest. What news have you?" she asks, after she and Brianna have seen to his well-being.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    (1d20+2)[16] Aid another in healing. She also lacks a healing kit, something that she will endeavour to buy at the next opportunity. Nothing like a good reminder.

21. - Top - End - #201

The man looks up at Laura with a frown. "Dame Eide...Queen Galfrey has been...gravely wounded," he says weakly. "They were tending her as best they could when I left, but her weakened state has left her vulnerable. I fear that the disease afflicting our land will have already claimed her."

Steve scrapes the bottom of his bowl for any more ice cream. He pops the spoon in his mouth and licks. "Huh. Nothing about Kaiser. That's weird...guess he's not faster than I thought after all. It must have happened after he left."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

"Steve, what are you going on about? I thought we were going to get ice cream after hearing the knight's speech." Korbach shakes his head, still unsure how Steve became attached to him, and still unsure exactly what Steve was.

"Are you expecting a message, or do you know something? I really don't think it's appropriate for anyone besides the resident wizard to make cryptic statements all the time. You know that."
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

Show

23. - Top - End - #203

Steve tilts his head and looks at Korbach with confusion. "Huh? ...What were we talking about again? Oh, do you want some ice cream now, too?" He points to the cafe he went into.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"That is... grave news" Laura says, a bit shaken. No word on Kaiser. At least it implied he was alive and as well as one could be fighting unending horde of demons. "Then we must be sure to secure aid as soon as possible."she says, trying to sound reassuring, half for the soldier and half for herself.

She takes note of Steve mentioning Kaiser. "Steve, was it? What do you know about Kaiser?"

25. - Top - End - #205

Steve looks up at Laura. "Not much. His name is Rhys Blighttorn, age 157, brown hair, silver eyes. Earned the title 'Kaiser' in the Battle of Azari about six years ago, when he beheaded a gluttony demon and used the head to knock through the rest of the enemy lines like bowling pins. Never married, no kids, but definitely into women. Certain types of women, at least. Wears a brace on his right leg under his armor to hide his limp so no one realizes how badly injured he's gotten over the last two years or so. Never accepts aid from a cleric. Never accepts magical healing of any kind. Prays to Iomedae in Celestial only, but regrets not being able to speak Elven because no one on his squad is an elf."

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Laura closes her mouth, uncertain as to when it had snapped open. "You call that "not much"?" she asks, "I have known him for years and I only knew most of that."

27. - Top - End - #207

Steve shrugs. "Well, maybe that's just because you suck at your job..." he mutters.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

"Steve, please be nice to the Lady Knight. She is trained to pound demons into pulp, not to notice things going on right under her nose. I'm sure she does not "suck" at her job. She wouldn't be alive if she did." Korbach shakes his head again. He seems to be doing that alot since he met Steve. "She may, however, "suck" at the banter you so easily employ..."

Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Mal's eyes darted back and forth, fearful that someone was eavesdropping. Why he wasn't sure, but he was. I don't feel... comfortable discussing this. Openly. Or with strangers, to be frank. His gaze lingered for a moment on the duo. I've told you some of what I've experienced but you've barely spoken a word of yours. Fair is fair, yes?
    Ahkox rolls his shoulders in an approximation of a shrug. "Fair indeed. Unknown folk torched the fields of Korvosa and we'd set off after the most likely culprits. Found they were hunting someone but before we could find out more their quarry appeared and did something that had the two sides fighting it out without so much a word spoken." The half-orc is distracted for a moment by the situation in the street which he watches for a moment before continuing. "Threw Alicia like a ragdoll and didn't so much as flinch when I laid into him. Ended up losing everything but Alicia. My squad, my quarry, my honor, my home..." Bitterness slowly creeps into Ahkox's voice as he talks.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Mal felt a pang of loss for Ahkox. He didn't know what having most of those things felt like nor how to lose them but it obviously pained he half-orc. His gaze darted to the Demon-Slayer and decided the conversation was best continued elsewhere. On second thought, a drink would do me good. He turns stiffly and walks back into the tavern finding a seat off in the back away from the bulk of the patrons.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!