New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XV - What's the Damage of a Thrown Pineapple?

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    She's dead, so I don't think we'll get much more intel about her. Oh, and that reminds me. The stat block should mention that she's dead. The stat blocks in the first posts do too, and I like that.
    Corrected it on the last post.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XV - What's the Damage of a Thrown Pineapple?

Do we have a smily for her?

Come to think of it, a lot of smilies have disappeared because of image hosting issues... does anyone have alternative versions of those?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Do we have a smily for her?
    For Hilgya, you can try to ask Yendor, the author of this old post from 2009, maybe he has a copy. He's still active on the forum. Update 2018-12-15: never mind, that one is for Hilgya, not for Minrah, so it won't help.

Update: or here's a low quality preliminary icon based on #1145 (head cut out, transparent background, but original size so way too large for an icon) until someone comes and makes a proper one: Hilgya

Come to think of it, a lot of smilies have disappeared because of image hosting issues... does anyone have alternative versions of those?
    I do, at least for some of the smilies. I didn't try to create any new images, I just copied the old ones over to a different external host. It's a pity this bbcode forum doesn't allow data: URLs for images by the way, that would be the cleanest for these smilies.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2018-11-14 at 06:40 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Titan in the Playground

Great, that covers everyone except Shoulder Pads Guy.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Titan in the Playground

Added Minrah, which is of course subject to further changes.

I have not listed her spells since it's all from the standard cleric list. It strikes me that 1105 establishes her as non-evil, because she casts Protection from Evil on herself and it doesn't harm her (whereas Belkar is harmed by that same spell). I am not sure where it is shown that any of her attacks fail to pierce DR though, nor that her armor is specifically breastplate. Also, why specifically might we suppose she has Knowledge (Religion) and Knowledge (Local)?

6. - Top - End - #1056

The not making it through DR is from when she hits vampires who don't show damage. I think the KN-Local is from how she immediately recognized the feasting hall.

On mobile, no linking. Sorry.

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    The not making it through DR is from when she hits vampires who don't show damage. I think the KN-Local is from how she immediately recognized the feasting hall.

On mobile, no linking. Sorry.
    Eh, recognizing a place you hang out in isn't exactly knowledge rank-worthy.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Troll in the Playground

Is this say anything new about Belkar?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=154
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Added Minrah, which is of course subject to further changes.

I have not listed her spells since it's all from the standard cleric list. It strikes me that 1105 establishes her as non-evil, because she casts Protection from Evil on herself and it doesn't harm her (whereas Belkar is harmed by that same spell). I am not sure where it is shown that any of her attacks fail to pierce DR though, nor that her armor is specifically breastplate. Also, why specifically might we suppose she has Knowledge (Religion) and Knowledge (Local)?
    The "failure in bypassing DR" refers to the moments in which she hits without damage ("BONK", "CLANG", can't remember exactly the sound).

The Knowledge (Religion) is really baseless, now that I think of it.

The Knowledge (Local) is mostly from the fact that she was acting like a guide to the OotS, because she knew the place, and from the fact that she knew people there (Sidgi, for example), but since common knowledge can be rolled in a unskilled INT check, there's no evidence she has any ranks.

I've assumed her armor is breastplate or heavier mostly due to its appearance. It doesn't seems like any of the non-metal armors (leather, padded, hide...), and it doesn't seem to be just a chain shirt. It might be a chain mail or a scale mail, but those are as heavy as, or heavier than breastplate. Maybe I should rephrase my hypothesis as "unspecified metal medium or heavier armor".

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post

Couldn't follow the link.
    Last edited by D.One; 2018-11-15 at 04:15 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Couldn't follow the link.
    Weird. Magic
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Fantastic work on the write-up, D.One!

It strikes me that 1105 establishes her as non-evil, because she casts Protection from Evil on herself and it doesn't harm her (whereas Belkar is harmed by that same spell).
    As a cleric of Thor, wouldn't she have to be non-evil anyways (at most 1 step removed from Thor's goodness on the good-vs-evil axis)?

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

It says he's about the same height as a guy who's 4'8", which contradicts canon, so I think we have to assume it's a joke.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    It says he's about the same height as a guy who's 4'8", which contradicts canon, so I think we have to assume it's a joke.
    What's his canon height?
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

What's his canon height?
    Small size, so less than 4 feet high. I don't know what a halfling's maximum height is, per the Player's Handbook, but it's much lower than 4'8".

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Small size, so less than 4 feet high. I don't know what a halfling's maximum height is, per the Player's Handbook, but it's much lower than 4'8".
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car quote the SRD, why not do it with some style?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee's Ye Olde SRDe
    Creature Size and Scale
    Size Category Size Modifier Grapply Modifier Hide Modifier Height or Length Weight Space Natural Reach (Tall) Natural Reach (Long)
    Small +1 -4 +4 2 ft. - 4 ft. 8 lb. - 60 lb. 5 ft. 5 ft. 5 ft.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee's Ye Olde SRDe
    Grapply Modifier
    Is this related to the grapple modifier, or is grapplying one of those Xorvintaal things I'm not supposed to understand?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Is this related to the grapple modifier, or is grapplying one of those Xorvintaal things I'm not supposed to understand?
    It's just one of the ways Peelee's Ye Olde SRDe is better than the standard SRD. We make the grapple system fun!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-11-15 at 03:56 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    As a cleric of Thor, wouldn't she have to be non-evil anyways (at most 1 step removed from Thor's goodness on the good-vs-evil axis)?
    The thing is, the one-step rule appears to be at most weakly enforced in OotS, with plenty of exceptions. Everything about Thor says that he's Chaotic (even in this last run of strips, where it's generally less exaggerated, witness his repeated griping about rules being stupid and downright glee that he could bend the rule against telling anyone about the Snarl out of all recognition with Minrah), but he's one of the major dwarfen deities, despite them being overwhelmingly Lawful [and Durkon, his cleric, being explicitly LG].

So, while Minrah is almost certainly LG, I'm not sure there's any way of proving it...

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ogre in the Playground

In 3.x and 5e, I do believe halflings range between 2'07'' to about 3'05'' max. If I recall correctly, in 4e, halflings were taller, around the 4' mark. Then again, 4e be weird. Still, shorter than 4'08''.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Ogre in the Playground

In Roy's entry, the Spellsplinter Maneuver should link to #1003, where Roy uses that, and it's not in an illusion.

The maximum height is 4'5", the height of the legendary Bandobras Took.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2018-11-16 at 04:55 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    Fantastic work on the write-up, D.One!
    Thanks!

What is this Middle-Earth thing you keep talking about?

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

In Roy's entry, the Spellsplinter Maneuver should link to #1003, where Roy uses that, and it's not in an illusion.

Technically, he's only the third-tallest halfling in history, but then again, we have no evidence that Belkar benefited from the effects of an Entdraught.

On a less Tolkienesque note (alas), I got around to checking the SRD, and JumboWheat's memory is basically correct. The tallest a male halfling can be is 3'4" (2'8" + 2d4 inches; women are 2" shorter). So I guess that (probably) settles it.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2018-11-16 at 08:12 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Ogre in the Playground

What is this Middle-Earth thing you keep talking about?
    It's a planet in the middle of the planet.

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It's a planet in the middle of the planet.
    Still doesn't explain what this "Earth" place has anything to do with the planet(s)...

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Titan in the Playground

Still doesn't explain what this "Earth" place has anything to do with the planet(s)...
    I think the inside of the planet in the planet is mostly earth, kinda like the Elemental Plane of Earth is everywhere. Yeah, Earth was named for earth.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Random thought:
    I don't see how http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0221.html shows Belkar has Spellcraft. However, does identifying Cure Serious Wounds scrolls without read magic indicate that he has at least 4 ranks? (<10 Int means -1 modifier at least, he would need a 23 for that check.)

27. - Top - End - #1077

Or just that V's already pulled the exploding note trick on him once or twice. It is a favored tactic for dealing with annoyances, after all.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I think concluding Belkar has spellcraft from that is a bit silly for several reasons:

1. Spellcraft allows you to determine spells and magical effects by examining them. It is not a prerequisite to recognizing a spell via casual familiarity - you can know what a Fireball is in a general sense, or know that a wizard is capable of Teleportation, and broadly recognize that a wizard might throw a fireball or teleport away when it happens, without having ranks in Spellcraft. Unlike Knowledge, Spellcraft just represents one possible avenue to identify magical effects.

2. More importantly, Belkar explicitly has to ask ("...this peace of paper has that Explosive Runes spell cast on it?") He doesn't know based on his own abilities, he makes a guess and Roy confirms it.

The CSW scrolls are better evidence. I mean, it's still probably just there for the gag, but going by the rules of the thread that one would indicate he has Spellcraft or Read Magic somehow, since he couldn't have figured out what the scrolls are any other way (he might have known that Durkon carried healing scrolls, but it's really unlikely he'd know what exact spell they contain.) Whereas I feel that the Explosive Runes one doesn't work even under the strict rules for the thread - he unambiguously has to ask to be sure, so if anything it's evidence against him having Spellcraft.

If he said "oh, a piece of paper that has Explosive Runes on it!", that would be different. But asking "is that a piece of paper with that Explosive Runes spell on it?" shows that he wasn't able to identify it himself.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2018-11-19 at 05:57 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1079

It is possible that Durkon, thoroughly Lawful as he is, properly labeled his scrolls so they could be filed in the proper sequence.

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    It is possible that Durkon, thoroughly Lawful as he is, properly labeled his scrolls so they could be filed in the proper sequence.
    I can see that, and totally have an idea for the next wizard I draw up, with tabs marking groups in their spellbooks...