1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Only Ruins: a Nation Game (Recruitment Drive 2)

Only Ruins

"It is now the 1949th year of the world by the Auroran count, the 1189th year since the gods arose, and by my count the 862nd year since the first of the cataclysms. It has been fifteen years since I saw the beginning of anything resembling the civilizations of old returning to the world, and nine years since word of that thing started spreading..."

Hello. This is a recruitment drive for the narrative based nation game 'Only Ruins,' which I've been running since early December of 2016. I'm looking for some new players to join the game, preferably those who are willing and able to stick with this in the long term as my hope is for the longevity of the game. This is as intended for the most part a player driven role-play and a story about nations and the figures within them, in a world long gone mad as it hopefully recovers from a divine apocalypse.

The rules as I've written for the running of things are for the most part of my own design and are not intended to bind players, but to keep nations on a consistent level and for players to build around the struggles of living in the world as it is. They're mutable as required and open to change if I see a reasonable argument and it's something everyone can agree upon.

The setting of the game is a world at the end of its rope, its inhabitants left scrambling after the world should have ended but kept going despite the odds. Nearly a thousand years later and what's left is still trying to rebuild amongst the chaos and ruin left in the wake of the gods. The world by the time new nations fully join will be fifteen years into the 'Fifth Age,' a time in which it is believed mortals will reclaim the world by some.

I'd ask that applicants attempt to fit their nations both with the setting and with the world as it will be when they join for the sake of easier continuity and the preservation of current nations. The nation origins and corresponding map locations that I suggest are: The Northern Deep Tribes, The Northern Raptor States, a Western Auroran tribe in the Marshlands (or for that matter a Yish or mixed tribe in that area), a Faction within the Empire of the Basalt Throne, The Kingdom of Mereton (or as the South is controlled by the cult of the Rising Light currently a faction within it), or perhaps even a Khaganian horde.

While I give these suggestions, and ask that applicants attempt to fit themselves into the world, I stress that these aren't strict limits as to what you can make. While there are limits for continuities sake, such as size, history, and what you're made of- if I like what you write you're fine.

My current plan is to introduce new nations during or after an in-character time-skip set to occur after Turn 60 of the game, said time-skip will advance the world's timeline forward five years and last for a week to allow anyone who wishes to post during that time about their nation the opportunity to do so, after which the game would continue as normal.

The current in-game turn is 55 and I'd like anyone who's interested to submit completed sheets before the 27th of January (the beginning of Turn 60) for my approval so that I may properly judge sheets and integrate those I choose into the game during the time-skip.

If you're interested (and would be willing to stick around for a bit) read on and let me know if you have any questions.

Spoiler: General
    Show
    - My word is law.

- Use basic grammar. If no one can understand you then there is no point in posting.

- Don't godmod, control other peoples characters, etc. It's impolite.

- If things don't go your way try to stay civil. If this is to last it's better if everyone stays on good terms.

- Posts should be a relatively decent length. As you'll be posting for a nation this shouldn't be a problem but aiming for a a paragraph or two atleast is a good idea.

- You'll be expected to post weekly. If something happens or you're unable to post, say something in the OOC thread or PM me.

- If you're reading this but you don't expect to stick around or even bother to post past a week or two please don't apply. I've seen enough games fall apart because of that behaviour and I don't want this to be another. We've had enough do that already.

- Try to keep player knowledge and character knowledge separate.
    Spoiler: Nation Application Template
    Show
    Nation Name: (What do your people call themselves?)

Desired Map Colour(s): (What would you like the colour used to represent your nation on the map be?)

Race: (Which sentient race is the majority within your nation? Is it composed of more than one?)

Heritage: (Which civilization is your nation descended from most? This can include current nations.)

Territory: (Where has your nation settled? Give a description of the area and how its been settled. Has your nation focused upon holding a small area or a large one? Have you built a fortress or have you built a city? What is your capital like?

New nations will be smaller and less developed than nations from previous recruitments to better fit them into the world. You'll be granted edges to help get you up to speed, but you should understand you'll be a city state at the beginning.)

History: (How your nation came to be. How did those who came to form it survive over the centuries? Where did they come from? What were their struggles? Why are they the way they are now?)

Values: (What do your people value in themselves? What is their social structure? What is their culture like?)

Military: (How does your nation's military function? Is it a militia? Is it's focus cavalry? Archers? The rage of a few?)

Religion: (What is your nation's faith? Do they worship the old gods? Something new? Their ancestors?)

Focus: (What has the focus of your people been? Basic survival? Trade? Craftsmanship? Their military?)

Secrets: (Which secrets have your people retained over others over the millenia? Gunpowder? Steam engines? Blast furnaces? Alchemical poisons? Or has your people perhaps learned to harness wild magic?)

Artifacts: (Have you retained anything special over the millenia? Perhaps a few ancient weapons? Some tools? Something runed or genned? A ship?)

Leader: (At the beginning of the Fifth Age a few individuals appeared showing certain qualities, appearing to some as immortals and demigods. Born with power beyond their kin- be it strength, or intellect, or a magic of some kind, or something else entirely. Perhaps they weren't born with it, perhaps it's something else about them. Maybe their claim to power is an artifact of some kind.

Through their natures others have come to rally around them and forge order or take that of others for themselves to survive and thrive. Who leads your nation? Where did they come from? What makes them special?)

Spoiler: Example Applications Sheets
    Show
    Spoiler: Current Game Map (Turn 55)
    Show

Nations, Current and Past (Prominent Maps):
    The Ajivhan Khaganate (Map 1 - 55) - Sage Green (and Dark Blue)
    The Brujah (Map 1) - Light Green (and Grey)
    The Corpus Verde (Map 1 - 55) - Purple (and Light Blue)
    The Dead Republic (Map 1 - 55) - White (and Black)
    The Empire of the Basalt Throne (Map 1 - 55) - Dark Grey (and Yellow)
    The Grand Duchy of Xule (Map 1 - 55) - Red (and White)
    The Harconin Protectorate (Map 1 - 55) - Light Grey (and Orange)
    The Khaloric Swarm (Map 1 - 55) - Banded Green and Purple
    The Kingdom of Nova Aurora (Map 1 - 55) - White and Red
    The Navasti League (Map 1) - Light Blue (and Brown)
    The Silverplume Confederacy (Map 1 - 55) - Dark Blue (and Pale Green)

The Disciples of Awn (Map 25 - 55) - Yellow and Brown
    The Great Heathen Army (Map 25) - Silver and Blue
    The Icebound States of the Union (Map 25) - Teal and Yellow
    New Avringae (Map 25 - 55) - Dark Green and Grey
    The Rising Light (Map 25 - 55) - Yellow and Red

Existing Cultures (Original Maps):
    The Ajivhan Khaganate - Green
    The Dead Republic - White (and Black)
    The Deep Tribes - Grey
    The Grat Shae - Brown
    The Kingdom of Mereton - Yellow
    The Raptor States - Blue
    The Ray-Das - Light Blue
    The Tribes of Aurora - Purple

Overrun Areas (Original Maps):
    The Ajivhan Desert / The Ajivhan Wastes - Red (Desert)
    The Ghost Marshes / The Aetherial Collective - Red (Marshlands)
    Navasti Isles - Red (Southwest Islands)
    Old Great Heathen Army Territory - Red (Southeast Islands)

If you're interested after reading through all of that, you're free to post a sheet or interest.

If you have any questions whatsoever feel free to ask them.

Spoiler: Information on the current game world as written by players
    Show

The Disciples of Awn by Novabomb:
    "The Disciples of Awn is a relatively new nation, founded in the fifth age by a feudal lord in the raptor states, and first known practitioner of Awnite magic. Most of this magic has been applied in the manner of improving or modifying how plants grow. It has a college founded to improve magical theory, and mandatory education for its populous. It is governed in a feudal manner, but no state religion is imposed. Due to the rapidity of development, consolidation of power and advancement of knowledge, its leader is viewed in a semi-messianic manner."

The Grand Duchy of Xule by JoJo:
    "The Grand Duchy of Xule is a small nation comprising of three islands in the Channel Sea. The last remaining direct descendant of the ancient Auroran Empire, which dominated the known world seven centuries ago, the duchy is ruled by the young Grand Duke Cosimo IV. Cosimo's sister Valencia and her daughter Mariana are the only other two surviving legitimate dynasts of the House of Verde.

Xule itself is a thriving port city, with traders visiting from every corner of globe. The duchy is majority human, but has significant halfling and krakari minorities. The Grand Duchy of Xule is in a personal union with the Kingdom of Nova Aurora, which is situated to the northeast. Nova Aurora was founded by human slaves, who were freed from the clutches of the vampiric Brujah after a recent war between their state and an alliance of Xule, the Corpus Verde and the Khaloric Swarm. Nova Aurora is nominally independent, but in practice is heavily influenced by its richer and more populous neighbour, who by treaty represents the realm in foreign affairs."

The Khaloric Swarm by Viirin:
    "The Khaloric Swarm is a theocratic nation composed mostly of humanoid insects and led by a divinely created psychic virus seen as the prophet empress Dorian Cook. The Swarm accepts all forms of life, including humans, vampires, elementals, and even monsters. This is mostly for the purposes of the virus's evolutionary desires and growth capacity.

Though highly religious, the primary god of the Swarm's pantheon is Khalorean (god of justice and spiders) who ensured the intelligent insects he created would not ever wage religious war or preach. Those who wish to know more will ask, those who wish to join can, and those who aren't interested won't be bothered.

The Swarm has made a solid foothold on almost all nations as advisors and diplomats, happily trading their excessive stockpiles to less developed nations as well as offering full use of their Library (with living books containing details of the Swarm's technological prowess for others to use at their own discretion), Arms Dealer Coliseum (gladiator-style entertainment with magical equipment given to winners), Clinic (complete with both medical and magical healing), and Candy Competition (where artisans balance flavor and presentation)."

The Yellow god by Anti-Eagle:
    "A pervasive and corrosive force across the lands, word of the Yellow god has been spreading for the past nine years. Little is known of this being outside of its cult, but the dreams that came with its coming can be felt by most lands to one degree or another. Targetting the isolated, alone, or simply tired its worship has spread across the lands taking over New Avringae and nearly subverting the Rising Light to its work.

Its cult is secretive and subversive in every aspect it can manage, finding ways to work itself into any part of society it can get its talons in and spreading while the insectile things they work for and with fester in the wilderness and untouched ruins."

Information on the Ajivhan Khaganate, Corpus Verde, Empire of the Basalt Throne, Harconin Protectorate, Rising Light, and Silverplume Confederacy can be found either by reading the game thread or the applications as listed in the OOC thread through the example links.

As well as it should be mentioned we're set up on Skype and Discord for those interested.
    Last edited by Anti-Eagle; 2018-02-03 at 04:31 PM.
    Ascendancy (Setting, Rules, Recruitment, Out-Of-Character, Game Thread, and a Mirror. Also, a Discord.)

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Placeholder

Placeholder
    Ascendancy (Setting, Rules, Recruitment, Out-Of-Character, Game Thread, and a Mirror. Also, a Discord.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Only Ruins: a Nation Game (Recruitment Drive)

All right I'm interested. I'll need a few days due to holidays and stuff.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

Summery of the Total War Hanrui game I ran.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to Ceika for my awesome Avatar!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Interested
    Amazing avatar by Gengy

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with :)
    Spoiler: Copies Magic, my Numenera focus
    Show

Spoiler: Me
    Show
    Spoiler: Meyers-Briggs
    Show

Spoiler: Gamer type
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

All right here is the nation I had in mind! I recently re-read Lord of the rings and was inspired by the small settlement that Gimli had in the glittering caves and his friendship with Legolas. I thought a Dwarven elven combined settlement would be awesome and that progressed to this, The Lukari Confederation.

Spoiler: Lukari Confederation
    Show
    Nation Name: Lukari Confederation

Desired Map Colour: Green with Grey

Race: Krakari and Luug are the two races that make up the residents with visitor's from other races. 58% Luug, 39% Krakari, 3% Other.

Heritage: The Lukari nation is a combination of two separate civilizations, they are descended from The Deep Tribes and The Raptor States.

Spoiler: Territory
    Show
    Territory: The Lukari came into being in the northwest reaches where the mountain range turns into forest. The original territory, and now capital city, was two separate areas. A series of caves and caverns the Luug made their homes in and the forests beside it which housed a tribe of Krakari. During the Cataclysm the Ascendant caused massive fires and earthquakes that rent the earth. Many of the caverns and tunnels collapsed, causing parts of the Forest and largest oldest trees to slide into parts of the main cavern of the Luug city. The fires burned out most of the rest of the forests. The capital city is a massive gaping slanted hole in the mountain side with ancient trees growing out of where they have fallen in years before, with woven huts and carved buildings near the top. Then there are buildings carved among the sides of the massive hole in all the way down.

The city has become dubbed Lukari and is where the new nation gets it's name. Though it is fairly vulnerable to attack when they get close the city relies on its soldiers for protection. There are several forts built in some of the remaining large trees near the forest outskirts or carved out of large rock outcrops. There are skirmishing Krakari stationed there that fly patrols and and a squad of heavy Luug infantry to address any difficult problems.

The city itself is at harmony with nature, it has large sources of natural materials. The Luug mine large amounts of natural ore and gems along with the Krakari who provide pelts and harvest herbs and rare plants as well as live specimens of rare animals from their forests.

Spoiler: Values
    Show

Values: The Lukari Collective are made up of two very different groups and as such have differences in certain values and culture, however over the years a certain view has begun to take hold which is held by members of both groups. Though that isn't to say there aren't still differences.

The Luug still value strength and physical prowess, some which has started to also be valued by the Krakari in the army. The Krakari protectivness of their young has now spread to a more general protectivness of all the children of the city. The Luug value of tradition and their cults has not spread as much among the Krakari however and in return a lot of the cunning and viciousness among the Krakari from their time in the Raptor States has nit spread to the Luug.

Together though there is a general value of the natural world off of which their lives and safety is based off of. They both have no problem brutally punishing those who they deem to have broken with the natural world and are abusing it, usually very industrial urbanized areas and settlements.

Spoiler: History
    Show
    History: The Lukari Collective was forged in the aftermath of the Ascendants rampage, from the Ruq'ha Krakari tribe and the Ferrum Luug Clan. During his rampage he passed near the northern mountain range and some of his divine fire caught the massive Tir'ar forest on the slopes of the mountain. His passing caused devastating earthquakes up and down the mountain range.

The Ferrum Clan has an ancient history, they had been an important part of the Deep Tribes. They moved to their home on the edge of the western edge of the mountains to mine the rich and pure iron ore there for their skilled smiths to use. They provided much of the iron metalwork for the Deep Tribes but after their nation was fractured in the Auroran invasion they lost all ties with the other Luug clans. They payed tithes to the Auroran invaders for decades, lost in what to do and only just surviving. The once mighty clan had been reduced to just five thousand by the time the Ascendant began their rampage. The earthquakes and subsequent cave collapses and rearranging of their underground home killed hundreds leaving them with only four thousand their original number.

The Krakari tribe living in the Tir'ar forest wasn't always there, they migrated there near the end of the Great War against Aurora. A splinter group lead by a disenherited lord of one of the Great Krakari houses, House Velcior, of the Raptor States lead his personal followers and those of some villagers who would follow him due to disenchantment with the war. Though around twenty five hundred went with him only two thousand made it up there, the start of the Velcior Tribe. Only months after settling they suffered the fires of the Ascendant leaving seventeen hundred left.

The Ascendants rage set these two groups on a collision course. His earthquakes collapsed massive holes in the earth and pulling down acres of whatever was around them. As the earth split open above the main Ferrum cavern a few dozen of the most ancient trees in the center of the Tir'ar forest slide down into the cavern. This crushed many Luug buildings and homes. At the same time this as happening much of the Tir'ar forest was burning down around the Krakari. They fled inward until they were among the ancient trees of the forest. Only after they made it there did the trees then slide into the newly formed hole in the ground/ Luug cavern.

Luckily the disasters stopped soon after that, leaving quite the mess behind them. The remnants of both people's tried to sort themselves out but they were both had a problem.

The ancient trees that are now in the cavern grew above the ground into the sky even though they've sunk deep into the ground. They were some of the few forested parts of the Forest left for the Krakari to all make their home. However those trees were now in the middle of the Luug cavern blocking their old pathways and taking up valuable room.

The Luug not knowing the Krakari were living top side of the trees started to cut down the smallest one. They succeeded and the tree collapsed but due to their unfamiliarity with the tree size and unawareness of the people living up top they just created more problems. The tree collapsed onto even more of the cavern, crushing many Luug and their homes. It also killed several dozen Krakari on it.

This angered the Krakari, they had dealt with so much and they would fight for what they saw as their last chance at a home. Their flight squads swooped below sniping several of the Luug working on the tree and then any guards or soldiers they saw. The Luug tried to fight back but only managed to slay a few. Their fighting was short but brutal, the Krakari had the edge with their mobility and guns but the Luug had numbers and they realized they could chop down the trees to fight back.

As soon as the Krakari saw what they were doing they attempted to kill the tree choppers, but the Luug got wise and we're covered in their heaviest armor. When they failed the leader called for a truce. The leaders of the two groups met, anger in their hearts. Anger at each other, the Ascendant, the loss of loved ones, and the deep slow anger of both groups at their respective races fall from power both ancient and recent.

The discussions between the two parties went on for months. The Luug wanted the Krakari to move out of the trees so they could safely bring them down. The Krakari didn't want to leave, they wanted the trees to stay and for the Luug to work around them. Then came the discussions on how to handle things like who got access to fresh water, how the Krakari would treat sewage, taking care of the roots of the trees to make sure they wouldn't die, payment of these possible services for the Luug, etc etc.

A few months of negotiations and tense living situations later a solution was found... quite literally. With minutes two artifacts were found in desperate locations. Deep in the Luug caverns a crew of Luug excavators, led by strong community leader Duntor Ironfoot, was clearing some of the tunnels that had collapsed near their home cavern. As he caved in a particularly tough section of rock a beautiful golden rod with a jagged top abd with the bottom tipped in a deep onyx black crystal that seems to pulse slightly. Above ground the Krakari Lord, Beloit Velcoir was leading a small search party made up of his extended family in the spot where they had originally had to make their home when they arrived in the forest and quickly abandon. He finds a golden rod with a jagged bottom and beautiful deep green crystal on top.

Neither thought much of the piece other then a quirky piece of jewelry since they couldn't get them to do anything. A few days after finding it Beloit mentions the piece as offer of payment during one of the meetings with the Luug. The Luug elder he was treating with mentioned that Duntor had found something similar. Duntor was summoned with his piece. As they closed to each other each crystal on the two rods start glowing brightly. As they got close they fitted the rods together, they're two pieces of one rod that seemed to have broken. There seems to be no way to combine the two pieces but now that they were awakened again each rod had minor powers individually. The bottom piece could home in on rich veins of precious materials or ore within the earth and stabilize a shaky tunnel. The top half could start to regrow dead plants and revitalize/strengthen living ones. But combined they're stronger then they ever could be apart.

As they connected the two rods glowed bright as possible and the entire earth, both above and below started shaking. As the small group looked they saw the trees roots grow and dive into the stone and earth, securing the roots from their pile of lose soil they were in at the time. The trunks thickened and grew slightly, the shattered cavern also started to pit itself together, rocks moving back into walls and tunnels clearing out and strengthening again. Veins of ore and minerals grew and thickened. Above ground the forest started to regrow, saplings springing up from the ground and other various plants leaving a budding forest readying to grow.

The ending of nature solved many or the problems the two groups had and the fact that neither side would give up their piece of the rod meant they hammered out an agreement. The two groups had a serious mutual alliance that grew over the years. The groups would meet once a year go use the power of the rod. The two would trade together defend the other from any raids and overtime developed genuine feelings and loyalty to the other. From that they grew into a small settlement together losing much of the separation between them. What started as a small settlement of five thousand combined has grown over the years with the resources their rod provides and are ready to expand and show their natural way of living to the world.

Spoiler: Military
    Show
    Military: The Lukari Colllective play to their strengths with their military. Their military reflects their mixed heritage and is made up of Battalions of Luug heavy infantry in tough armor and wielding massive weapons with their inherent strength.

They are supported by constantly roving squads of Krakari skirmishers and scouts using the only technology they managed to save, their pinion rifles.

During pitched battle the Luug battalions tend to set themselves up in a reinforced or defensible position, lacking that any position not immediately vulnerable, and in tough defensible formations such as shieldwalls or battle squares. They then rely on the Krakari squads to harry the foe and force them towards the Luug position or take enough abuse for the heavy infantry to try and slow march upon them.

The Krakari squads are usually made up of several families and are very competitive and tightly bound together. Each squad has a 'Pinion Rifle' that the best sharpshooter in the squad gets to use. The rest of them use powerful composite bows made of oak hardwood with Luug metal craft strengthening it. The squads swoop over the fields until the squad sharpshooter signals and they rise slightly before pulling in their wings to aim properly to shoot while they fall for a few shots before winging it back up.

Religion: The Lukari collective worship Drya as their primary deity due to the importance the natural world plays in their lives. However there are other deities worshipped within their ranks.

There are cults of Gangari and Katalia, though the laters followers are usually found among the Krakari soldiers. They are militant at enforcing their idea of natural unity when they come across those who don't share their beliefs, using retribution and fire like Katalia.

Focus: The focus of the Lukari Collective for a long time was meshing their two ways into one that worked for all of them, finding unity through the disasters that struck them. Between that and finding a way to survive that was their entire focus.

However over the past decade though that has for the most part been achieved and they have moved towards growth and expansion to deal with their new wealth and the population that comes with it. Unity through the natural world is still stressed but is easier now that it's accepted.

Spoiler: Secrets
    Show
    Secrets: The Luug did not bring any secrets to the partnership of the two peoples. Their knowledge is stuff that every Luug tribe would know, practical knowledge that helped them survive the disasters and help their new neighbors. The one piece of practical knowledge they have above and beyond the standards for the realm is their skilled metallurgy skills allowing them to make powerful pieces of metal. They can blend metals together to create light but strong alloys capable of being used for various things.

The Krakari tribe, diminished through the fall of their nation and the tribes subsequent trek though the wilderness, had lost all of their aquired technology and most of their knowledgeable members died or only had partial knowledge. They did manage to retain one piece of technology and enough people with knowledge of it to perpetuate it through the years. The Pinion Rifles used by their tribes from the Raptor States were part of the reason they survived their trek to their new northern home. They haven't been able to create any new rifles until a few months ago when the Luug struck a rick vein of special amethyst crystal the rifles use in the condensing process. There haven't been many new ones made so far but this could change soon...

The powerful rifles get their name from their ammunition, the rifles use feathers plucked from the wings of the Krakari using it. Placed in the loading barrel of the rifle it compresses the feather, turning it into a needle thin and deadly sharp projectile broken down into 8 pieces per feather. The rifle then takes in air and the rifle fires the piece of feather surrounded by a cushion of air to help fly faster and farther until it hits.

Artifacts: During the Ascendants rampage a divine artifact fell from the heavens, abandoned. It broke as it hit the earth near where the rampage was going on. Each piece has minor powers of stabilizing and growing the natural world. The bottom piece for underground and the upper piece for the above.

When together the artifact can provide tremendous benefits to the natural bounties of the world such as food and mineral resources. However it can only be used like that once a year. The artifact has taken on a symbol of unity to the Lukari Collective, representing both people's need to work together to be stronger as well as their belief in the natural world and it's bounty.

Spoiler: Leaders
    Show
    Leader(s): Their are two major leader sin the Lukari Collective. The rod bearers.

Duntor Ironfoot: A young leader in the community and pillar of strength representing the Luug ways finding the rod elevated him in status to elder and is now the pre-eminant elder in the Luug community. He is strong, dependable, truthful, and loyal.

Beloit Velcoir: The young Lord who led the Krakari break off group to their new home. The young Lord grew into a powerful and charismatic leader capable of leading with a strong rein through the long travels and sorrows their people faced. After leading them through the tough experiences his leadership is cemented and he leads both in war as a skilled sniper and at home using his crafty charisma to deal with people and aid them.

Let me know if there are things to change or if I got them wrong.

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

I'll be honest and say I wasn't expecting a sheet so quickly between the holidays and the general slowness of recruitment. I'm pleasantly surprised by this.

Quote Originally Posted by GameOfChampions View Post
    All right here is the nation I had in mind! I recently re-read Lord of the rings and was inspired by the small settlement that Gimli had in the glittering caves and his friendship with Legolas. I thought a Dwarven elven combined settlement would be awesome and that progressed to this, The Lukari Confederation.

Spoiler: Lukari Confederation
    Show
    Nation Name: Lukari Confederation

Desired Map Colour: Green with Grey

Race: Krakari and Luug are the two races that make up the residents with visitor's from other races. 58% Luug, 39% Krakari, 3% Other.

Heritage: The Lukari nation is a combination of two separate civilizations, they are descended from The Deep Tribes and The Raptor States.

Spoiler: Territory
    Show
    Territory: The Lukari came into being in the northwest reaches where the mountain range turns into forest. The original territory, and now capital city, was two separate areas. A series of caves and caverns the Luug made their homes in and the forests beside it which housed a tribe of Krakari. During the Cataclysm the Ascendant caused massive fires and earthquakes that rent the earth. Many of the caverns and tunnels collapsed, causing parts of the Forest and largest oldest trees to slide into parts of the main cavern of the Luug city. The fires burned out most of the rest of the forests. The capital city is a massive gaping slanted hole in the mountain side with ancient trees growing out of where they have fallen in years before, with woven huts and carved buildings near the top. Then there are buildings carved among the sides of the massive hole in all the way down.

The city has become dubbed Lukari and is where the new nation gets it's name. Though it is fairly vulnerable to attack when they get close the city relies on its soldiers for protection. There are several forts built in some of the remaining large trees near the forest outskirts or carved out of large rock outcrops. There are skirmishing Krakari stationed there that fly patrols and and a squad of heavy Luug infantry to address any difficult problems.

The city itself is at harmony with nature, it has large sources of natural materials. The Luug mine large amounts of natural ore and gems along with the Krakari who provide pelts and harvest herbs and rare plants as well as live specimens of rare animals from their forests.

Spoiler: Values
    Show

Values: The Lukari Collective are made up of two very different groups and as such have differences in certain values and culture, however over the years a certain view has begun to take hold which is held by members of both groups. Though that isn't to say there aren't still differences.

The Luug still value strength and physical prowess, some which has started to also be valued by the Krakari in the army. The Krakari protectivness of their young has now spread to a more general protectivness of all the children of the city. The Luug value of tradition and their cults has not spread as much among the Krakari however and in return a lot of the cunning and viciousness among the Krakari from their time in the Raptor States has nit spread to the Luug.

Together though there is a general value of the natural world off of which their lives and safety is based off of. They both have no problem brutally punishing those who they deem to have broken with the natural world and are abusing it, usually very industrial urbanized areas and settlements.

Spoiler: History
    Show
    History: The Lukari Collective was forged in the aftermath of the Ascendants rampage, from the Ruq'ha Krakari tribe and the Ferrum Luug Clan. During his rampage he passed near the northern mountain range and some of his divine fire caught the massive Tir'ar forest on the slopes of the mountain. His passing caused devastating earthquakes up and down the mountain range.

The Ferrum Clan has an ancient history, they had been an important part of the Deep Tribes. They moved to their home on the edge of the western edge of the mountains to mine the rich and pure iron ore there for their skilled smiths to use. They provided much of the iron metalwork for the Deep Tribes but after their nation was fractured in the Auroran invasion they lost all ties with the other Luug clans. They payed tithes to the Auroran invaders for decades, lost in what to do and only just surviving. The once mighty clan had been reduced to just five thousand by the time the Ascendant began their rampage. The earthquakes and subsequent cave collapses and rearranging of their underground home killed hundreds leaving them with only four thousand their original number.

The Krakari tribe living in the Tir'ar forest wasn't always there, they migrated there near the end of the Great War against Aurora. A splinter group lead by a disenherited lord of one of the Great Krakari houses, House Velcior, of the Raptor States lead his personal followers and those of some villagers who would follow him due to disenchantment with the war. Though around twenty five hundred went with him only two thousand made it up there, the start of the Velcior Tribe. Only months after settling they suffered the fires of the Ascendant leaving seventeen hundred left.

The Ascendants rage set these two groups on a collision course. His earthquakes collapsed massive holes in the earth and pulling down acres of whatever was around them. As the earth split open above the main Ferrum cavern a few dozen of the most ancient trees in the center of the Tir'ar forest slide down into the cavern. This crushed many Luug buildings and homes. At the same time this as happening much of the Tir'ar forest was burning down around the Krakari. They fled inward until they were among the ancient trees of the forest. Only after they made it there did the trees then slide into the newly formed hole in the ground/ Luug cavern.

Luckily the disasters stopped soon after that, leaving quite the mess behind them. The remnants of both people's tried to sort themselves out but they were both had a problem.

The ancient trees that are now in the cavern grew above the ground into the sky even though they've sunk deep into the ground. They were some of the few forested parts of the Forest left for the Krakari to all make their home. However those trees were now in the middle of the Luug cavern blocking their old pathways and taking up valuable room.

The Luug not knowing the Krakari were living top side of the trees started to cut down the smallest one. They succeeded and the tree collapsed but due to their unfamiliarity with the tree size and unawareness of the people living up top they just created more problems. The tree collapsed onto even more of the cavern, crushing many Luug and their homes. It also killed several dozen Krakari on it.

This angered the Krakari, they had dealt with so much and they would fight for what they saw as their last chance at a home. Their flight squads swooped below sniping several of the Luug working on the tree and then any guards or soldiers they saw. The Luug tried to fight back but only managed to slay a few. Their fighting was short but brutal, the Krakari had the edge with their mobility and guns but the Luug had numbers and they realized they could chop down the trees to fight back.

As soon as the Krakari saw what they were doing they attempted to kill the tree choppers, but the Luug got wise and we're covered in their heaviest armor. When they failed the leader called for a truce. The leaders of the two groups met, anger in their hearts. Anger at each other, the Ascendant, the loss of loved ones, and the deep slow anger of both groups at their respective races fall from power both ancient and recent.

The discussions between the two parties went on for months. The Luug wanted the Krakari to move out of the trees so they could safely bring them down. The Krakari didn't want to leave, they wanted the trees to stay and for the Luug to work around them. Then came the discussions on how to handle things like who got access to fresh water, how the Krakari would treat sewage, taking care of the roots of the trees to make sure they wouldn't die, payment of these possible services for the Luug, etc etc.

A few months of negotiations and tense living situations later a solution was found... quite literally. With minutes two artifacts were found in desperate locations. Deep in the Luug caverns a crew of Luug excavators, led by strong community leader Duntor Ironfoot, was clearing some of the tunnels that had collapsed near their home cavern. As he caved in a particularly tough section of rock a beautiful golden rod with a jagged top abd with the bottom tipped in a deep onyx black crystal that seems to pulse slightly. Above ground the Krakari Lord, Beloit Velcoir was leading a small search party made up of his extended family in the spot where they had originally had to make their home when they arrived in the forest and quickly abandon. He finds a golden rod with a jagged bottom and beautiful deep green crystal on top.

Neither thought much of the piece other then a quirky piece of jewelry since they couldn't get them to do anything. A few days after finding it Beloit mentions the piece as offer of payment during one of the meetings with the Luug. The Luug elder he was treating with mentioned that Duntor had found something similar. Duntor was summoned with his piece. As they closed to each other each crystal on the two rods start glowing brightly. As they got close they fitted the rods together, they're two pieces of one rod that seemed to have broken. There seems to be no way to combine the two pieces but now that they were awakened again each rod had minor powers individually. The bottom piece could home in on rich veins of precious materials or ore within the earth and stabilize a shaky tunnel. The top half could start to regrow dead plants and revitalize/strengthen living ones. But combined they're stronger then they ever could be apart.

As they connected the two rods glowed bright as possible and the entire earth, both above and below started shaking. As the small group looked they saw the trees roots grow and dive into the stone and earth, securing the roots from their pile of lose soil they were in at the time. The trunks thickened and grew slightly, the shattered cavern also started to pit itself together, rocks moving back into walls and tunnels clearing out and strengthening again. Veins of ore and minerals grew and thickened. Above ground the forest started to regrow, saplings springing up from the ground and other various plants leaving a budding forest readying to grow.

The ending of nature solved many or the problems the two groups had and the fact that neither side would give up their piece of the rod meant they hammered out an agreement. The two groups had a serious mutual alliance that grew over the years. The groups would meet once a year go use the power of the rod. The two would trade together defend the other from any raids and overtime developed genuine feelings and loyalty to the other. From that they grew into a small settlement together losing much of the separation between them. What started as a small settlement of five thousand combined has grown over the years with the resources their rod provides and are ready to expand and show their natural way of living to the world.

Spoiler: Military
    Show
    Military: The Lukari Colllective play to their strengths with their military. Their military reflects their mixed heritage and is made up of Battalions of Luug heavy infantry in tough armor and wielding massive weapons with their inherent strength.

They are supported by constantly roving squads of Krakari skirmishers and scouts using the only technology they managed to save, their pinion rifles.

During pitched battle the Luug battalions tend to set themselves up in a reinforced or defensible position, lacking that any position not immediately vulnerable, and in tough defensible formations such as shieldwalls or battle squares. They then rely on the Krakari squads to harry the foe and force them towards the Luug position or take enough abuse for the heavy infantry to try and slow march upon them.

The Krakari squads are usually made up of several families and are very competitive and tightly bound together. Each squad has a 'Pinion Rifle' that the best sharpshooter in the squad gets to use. The rest of them use powerful composite bows made of oak hardwood with Luug metal craft strengthening it. The squads swoop over the fields until the squad sharpshooter signals and they rise slightly before pulling in their wings to aim properly to shoot while they fall for a few shots before winging it back up.

Religion: The Lukari collective worship Drya as their primary deity due to the importance the natural world plays in their lives. However there are other deities worshipped within their ranks.

There are cults of Gangari and Katalia, though the laters followers are usually found among the Krakari soldiers. They are militant at enforcing their idea of natural unity when they come across those who don't share their beliefs, using retribution and fire like Katalia.

Focus: The focus of the Lukari Collective for a long time was meshing their two ways into one that worked for all of them, finding unity through the disasters that struck them. Between that and finding a way to survive that was their entire focus.

However over the past decade though that has for the most part been achieved and they have moved towards growth and expansion to deal with their new wealth and the population that comes with it. Unity through the natural world is still stressed but is easier now that it's accepted.

Spoiler: Secrets
    Show
    Secrets: The Luug did not bring any secrets to the partnership of the two peoples. Their knowledge is stuff that every Luug tribe would know, practical knowledge that helped them survive the disasters and help their new neighbors. The one piece of practical knowledge they have above and beyond the standards for the realm is their skilled metallurgy skills allowing them to make powerful pieces of metal. They can blend metals together to create light but strong alloys capable of being used for various things.

The Krakari tribe, diminished through the fall of their nation and the tribes subsequent trek though the wilderness, had lost all of their aquired technology and most of their knowledgeable members died or only had partial knowledge. They did manage to retain one piece of technology and enough people with knowledge of it to perpetuate it through the years. The Pinion Rifles used by their tribes from the Raptor States were part of the reason they survived their trek to their new northern home. They haven't been able to create any new rifles until a few months ago when the Luug struck a rick vein of special amethyst crystal the rifles use in the condensing process. There haven't been many new ones made so far but this could change soon...

The powerful rifles get their name from their ammunition, the rifles use feathers plucked from the wings of the Krakari using it. Placed in the loading barrel of the rifle it compresses the feather, turning it into a needle thin and deadly sharp projectile broken down into 8 pieces per feather. The rifle then takes in air and the rifle fires the piece of feather surrounded by a cushion of air to help fly faster and farther until it hits.

Artifacts: During the Ascendants rampage a divine artifact fell from the heavens, abandoned. It broke as it hit the earth near where the rampage was going on. Each piece has minor powers of stabilizing and growing the natural world. The bottom piece for underground and the upper piece for the above.

When together the artifact can provide tremendous benefits to the natural bounties of the world such as food and mineral resources. However it can only be used like that once a year. The artifact has taken on a symbol of unity to the Lukari Collective, representing both people's need to work together to be stronger as well as their belief in the natural world and it's bounty.

Spoiler: Leaders
    Show
    Leader(s): Their are two major leader sin the Lukari Collective. The rod bearers.

Duntor Ironfoot: A young leader in the community and pillar of strength representing the Luug ways finding the rod elevated him in status to elder and is now the pre-eminant elder in the Luug community. He is strong, dependable, truthful, and loyal.

Beloit Velcoir: The young Lord who led the Krakari break off group to their new home. The young Lord grew into a powerful and charismatic leader capable of leading with a strong rein through the long travels and sorrows their people faced. After leading them through the tough experiences his leadership is cemented and he leads both in war as a skilled sniper and at home using his crafty charisma to deal with people and aid them.

Let me know if there are things to change or if I got them wrong.
    I love it. Aside from some spelling and grammar I don't see any problems with your sheet. Welcome aboard.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks!

Ya I did it mostly on my phone so auto correct sometimes nails me.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Interested for sure. I'll start reading through the background
    “Have no fear, you will find your way. It's in your bones. It's in your soul.”- Mark Z. Danieleweski, House of Leaves

10. - Top - End - #10

If anyone has any questions about the rules, the world, or the current state of things let me know and I'll answer them as they come.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Without doing the research, or in case I've overlooked it, how many players are there currently and how many are you wanting to recruit?

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by DyerMaker View Post
    Without doing the research, or in case I've overlooked it, how many players are there currently and how many are you wanting to recruit?
    We currently have three active players and are looking to recruit- well- five sounds like a nice number for the time being. It's flexible and depends upon how many apply and I think I can handle.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Eagle View Post
    We currently have three active players and are looking to recruit- well- five sounds like a nice number for the time being. It's flexible and depends upon how many apply and I think I can handle.
    Ok. That was a heavy read and I'm likely still not clear on everything. But I am interested in joining.
    What's the benefit of (or boon for) a new player coming in at turn 55?
    In your opinion, beyond apathy, why have players dropped? Is there a reason to pinpoint?
    What keeps a new nation from being wiped out by one of the existing three?
    If there are 3 players does that mean that there are only 3 active nations or are some nations run via admin?

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by DyerMaker View Post
    Ok. That was a heavy read and I'm likely still not clear on everything. But I am interested in joining.
    What's the benefit of (or boon for) a new player coming in at turn 55?
    In your opinion, beyond apathy, why have players dropped? Is there a reason to pinpoint?
    What keeps a new nation from being wiped out by one of the existing three?
    If there are 3 players does that mean that there are only 3 active nations or are some nations run via admin?
    I'm still working this out. Enough to keep them stable at creation, and I'm considering allowing them to use the benefits of the planned time skip that introduces new nations into the world.

Quite a few of the people who've joined in the past and left over time have claimed to have been simply too busy to post regularly. While I can't verify this personally it sounds reasonably true.

Players remaining reasonable. There aren't currently any explicitly raider or warmongering nations currently. The most obvious is the one I run as my player nation and it's happily running the south for the time being.

There are nations being run as NPCs. Most are relatively unused, if you want a rundown of what they are and their activities I can do so.

15. - Top - End - #15

Approximately three weeks remain before I'll be introducing new nations. The deadline for applications is approximately two weeks from now (if you're interested please say something if for some reason you cannot meet this).
    Last edited by Anti-Eagle; 2018-01-14 at 01:28 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

ClericGirl

Interested: still need to read everything though first.

Okay--feel free to shoot me down but I have a feeling from what I have read so far (most of setting, the current nations and the areas/locations) this will either be an unwelcome incursion or a welcome oddity!

Spoiler: Application -- First draft!
    Show
    Nation Name: The Wild

Desired Map Colour(s): Brown? Orange? Something that can be seen on Green/Blue.

Race: Birds and Mammals--the citizens are herbivores and grazing animals whilst druids and predators make up the factions leaders.

Heritage: What few druids have been seen are said to be mostly Human although rumors spread of Luug without runes or Dust Moth's that have retained their colour.

Territory: Currently The Wild is only a small movement--in the thickest forests and most inhospitable locations of the world where the city builders and wood cutters still struggle to spread their progress. Rumor has it that the Council of The Wild is held in a wooded grove so deep into the tangled woods that even during the peak of day sunlight barely makes it past the canopy of ancient trees.

History: The Wild has always been there--the beasts and birds that man, insectoid, undead and God has always hunted for food, sport and entertainment. Its druid leaders are secretive and have for five ages been silent to the building pressure upon their flock but now something has cracked and a reckoning is coming. Some say Drya was a member of The Wild and broke her oath to The Wild when they openly attacked despite the councils vote to not act--now the pendulum has swung and after an eternity of voting for non-action The Wild is gearing up for war.

Values: The Wild believe that the creatures of the world have been pushed too far: once a man with a spear could hunt a deer but he was wary of the pack of wolves and a man with an axe would cut a tree large enough to build his own house. Now man cuts down trees to build cities and men with spears head into the woods to slaughter the wolves and place the deer in fenced farms--The Wild has been threatened.

Military: Predatory Beasts and Powerful Druids make up The Wild's military force.

Religion: It is said that the first Council of The Wild was setup after the departure of Lacae--whom is the first deity of The Wild--and her spirit of peace and harmony between each race of the world still remains the most important facet of The Wild's philosophy. The Council voted that, as between beasts, the Strong will hunt the Weak to feed and grow and this was true Peace and Harmony. Drya however believed that this Peace was no longer valid and encouraged the notion that the Strong should not farm the Weak or enslave them into domestication and nor should the Strong attempt to hunt the Strong simply to kill off competition for their cities. Whilst most originally believed that Drya's thoughts were too radical and contradictory to the teaching of Lacae--most have now come round to this train of thought and Dyra's teachings are now the most influential aspects of The Wild's philosophy.

Focus: Unification and Organization of the beasts, predators and druids of the natural world and protecting other areas from the expansion of cities, deforestation, domestication and over-hunting and fishing.

Secrets: The language of The Wild is the greatest of their secrets--a bestial tongue and body language that only a very few civilized races can learn. The Druidic traditions of magic and the spiritual teachings of the more nature favored Gods.

Artifacts: The Wild has no need for material wealth.

Leader: Willow--a truely ancient being of pale white skin and angelical features. It is believed that Willow is some form of Nymph but rumor is rife that she is only taking the form of a Nymph as her ability to change shape freely between animal and beast is ubiquitously known. The Pale Nymph claims to be a student of both Lacae and Drya but that would make her impossibly old for most of her followers to begin to comprehend.
    Last edited by Jyssika; 2018-01-14 at 02:37 PM.
    Don't mind me; I am just a child that urinates petrol having a wee on this [Insert Country] Flag.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Jyssika View Post
    Interested: still need to read everything though first.

Okay--feel free to shoot me down but I have a feeling from what I have read so far (most of setting, the current nations and the areas/locations) this will either be an unwelcome incursion or a welcome oddity!

Spoiler: Application -- First draft!
    Show
    Nation Name: The Wild

Desired Map Colour(s): Brown? Orange? Something that can be seen on Green/Blue.

Race: Birds and Mammals--the citizens are herbivores and grazing animals whilst druids and predators make up the factions leaders.

Heritage: What few druids have been seen are said to be mostly Human although rumors spread of Luug without runes or Dust Moth's that have retained their colour.

Territory: Currently The Wild is only a small movement--in the thickest forests and most inhospitable locations of the world where the city builders and wood cutters still struggle to spread their progress. Rumor has it that the Council of The Wild is held in a wooded grove so deep into the tangled woods that even during the peak of day sunlight barely makes it past the canopy of ancient trees.

History: The Wild has always been there--the beasts and birds that man, insectoid, undead and God has always hunted for food, sport and entertainment. Its druid leaders are secretive and have for five ages been silent to the building pressure upon their flock but now something has cracked and a reckoning is coming. Some say Drya was a member of The Wild and broke her oath to The Wild when they openly attacked despite the councils vote to not act--now the pendulum has swung and after an eternity of voting for non-action The Wild is gearing up for war.

Values: The Wild believe that the creatures of the world have been pushed too far: once a man with a spear could hunt a deer but he was wary of the pack of wolves and a man with an axe would cut a tree large enough to build his own house. Now man cuts down trees to build cities and men with spears head into the woods to slaughter the wolves and place the deer in fenced farms--The Wild has been threatened.

Military: Predatory Beasts and Powerful Druids make up The Wild's military force.

Religion: It is said that the first Council of The Wild was setup after the departure of Lacae--whom is the first deity of The Wild--and her spirit of peace and harmony between each race of the world still remains the most important facet of The Wild's philosophy. The Council voted that, as between beasts, the Strong will hunt the Weak to feed and grow and this was true Peace and Harmony. Drya however believed that this Peace was no longer valid and encouraged the notion that the Strong should not farm the Weak or enslave them into domestication and nor should the Strong attempt to hunt the Strong simply to kill off competition for their cities. Whilst most originally believed that Drya's thoughts were too radical and contradictory to the teaching of Lacae--most have now come round to this train of thought and Dyra's teachings are now the most influential aspects of The Wild's philosophy.

Focus: Unification and Organization of the beasts, predators and druids of the natural world and protecting other areas from the expansion of cities, deforestation, domestication and over-hunting and fishing.

Secrets: The language of The Wild is the greatest of their secrets--a bestial tongue and body language that only a very few civilized races can learn. The Druidic traditions of magic and the spiritual teachings of the more nature favored Gods.

Artifacts: The Wild has no need for material wealth.

Leader: Willow--a truely ancient being of pale white skin and angelical features. It is believed that Willow is some form of Nymph but rumor is rife that she is only taking the form of a Nymph as her ability to change shape freely between animal and beast is ubiquitously known. The Pale Nymph claims to be a student of both Lacae and Drya but that would make her impossibly old for most of her followers to begin to comprehend.
    Interesting idea. As mentioned in the PM I've just sent you I'll be messaging you soon with additional questions and information to work you into the world.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting; I'm definitely game. Before I get too far into planning and characterbuilding and whatnot, where are you intending these new nations to come from? My plans will be different if the nation is a new tribe from the deep wilderness than if they're a splinter faction of whichever nation currently needs to stop snowballing.
    I'm the GWG from Bay12 and a bunch of other places.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Negative LA Assignment Thread
    The Tale of Demman, Second King of Ireland, a CKII AAR, won a WritAAR of the Week award. Winner of Villainous Competition 8
    Fanfic

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Interesting; I'm definitely game. Before I get too far into planning and characterbuilding and whatnot, where are you intending these new nations to come from? My plans will be different if the nation is a new tribe from the deep wilderness than if they're a splinter faction of whichever nation currently needs to stop snowballing.
    The idea is that the new nations will effectively already exist to one degree or another rather than springing up from nothing, unless of course you want to play a cult that sprung up in the middle of the night in the middle of some nation. Whether they're something brewing in the wilderness or a splinter faction of something else is up to you, heritages are just a way to connect your nation to the rest of the world.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Hopefully, this can be shoehorned into the timeline somewhere...

Spoiler: Nation Description
    Show

According to legend, Lyseni took human form during the Fourth Age, hoping to show his people the way and save them from the Ascendant and other calamities of the era. He preached and performed miracles, and ultimately sacrificed himself in a raging inferno to slay a great Khaloric beast. The noble-turned-priest Saalios claimed to have received visions from Lyseni; others did as well, but the churches who followed those others wound up scattered or destroyed in the decades that followed, with Saalios's church surviving.
    The new Lysenic faith slowly spread across the region, and more quickly once King Stathis converted and made it the official religion of his tribe, once he won the little civil war he was involved in.
    Ever since then, the Lysenic faith spread across the region, both among the Imperial remnants and the Raptor States, thanks to the work of missionaries and generals alike. Some repulsed the ideas and stuck to their own, others converted, and some started at one but came to the other after a bit of argumentum ad bacalum.
    As religions do, Lysenism schismed into a variety of competing faiths, each declaring all the others heresies based on various doctrinal differences that usually didn't manifest as meaningful differences to laypeople. Finally, an immortal priestess named Polina gathered a council of leaders from across the region to a town called Nać. There, they discussed theology and laid out what, exactly, was canonical to prevent such splits from happening again. Some clever and influential speakers tried to lead the debate towards agreeing with their positions and demonizing their opponents, but Polina leveraged her power and the respect others had for her to quash and excommunicate such people. Ultimately, the Council of Nać came to a set of conclusions which were spread across the land. In the process, Polina was appointed Hierophant and Archdeacon of Nać, and created a system of Archdeacons, Deacons, and Priests to oversee religious life.

Since then, the church has attempted to spread its influence across the region, converting as many people and small nations as possible. In general, the church has let the secular power structures of these regions stay more or less intact, aside from breaking unruly or reluctant kingdoms and duchies into individual fiefdoms and occasionally having local archdeacons take control of a region until a proper (and Church-accepting) government can be restored. The Church has land it owns directly, even entire baronies and counties which come together as one theocracy called Naća, but most of its direct power comes from those secular leaders who nevertheless follow the Church's mandates, known as the Ardent Lords.
    In practice, Naća and the lands of the Ardent Lords, collectively but informally known as the Naćan Empire, is a largely-decentralized state. There are relatively few violent quarrels between the Ardent Lords (no more than within any feudal realm), and the resources of the Ardent Lords are often donated or tithes to various sacred projects.

Spoiler: Application
    Show

Name: The Forthright and Righteous Church of Our Celestial Custodian Lyseni (or Church of Lyseni for short).

Desired Color: Let's go with some kind of gold.

Races: Auroran, Krakari

Heritage: Holy Auroran Empire

Territory: Somewhere near the boundary between traditional Holy Auroran Empire lands and the old Raptor States.

History: See above. Short version: New religion cropped up, people started spreading it, some important guy converted and spread it further, schisms, Hierophant Polina got appointed to that position due to both being an awesome immortal person and her role in forcing everyone to get along, general spread.

Values: The prime value of this de facto theocratic mini-empire is, surprise surprise, faith. You're expected to be faithful or be quiet. Heresy is met with something on a spectrum between deep irritation and war, depending on how serious the heretic is about their viewpoints; the Hierophant continues to stick by the canon established at Nać, and wants to ensure her faithful never devolve into that mess of schisms and heresies which existed before Nać. This has lead to backlash from those who dislike some of the older-fashioned values she upholds, which feeds into some of those heresies. Still, those stay far enough out of the areas the Church controls to not cause too many issues.
    Like other worshipers of Lyseni, the Church is into retribution big time. You do something wrong, you get punished in this life and the next; it doesn't matter if you're some impoverished peasant, a mighty merchant-lord, or even an entire country.
    There is also a "social justice" aspect which some focus on, although not in those terms; just as the church punishes those who have not receive their deserved suffering, they try to alleviate the suffering of those who do not deserve it. This has earned them a fair few converts. This is in part due to an almost ironic element of right-to-freedom in the Naćan canon; while all mortals ought serve the gods loyally and unquestioningly (and slavishly, though they would never even think of it in those terms), no mortal should restrict the freedoms of any other mortal.

Military: Each of the Ardent Lords maintains their own levies, and often knights or other full-time soldiers. When the Church declares some group as an enemy, the Lords mass their armies as one alongside the armies of Naća and an assortment of those who wish to prove their worth to the church, Lyseni, or perhaps a mere mortal. This leads to armies with many individual generals, usually organized under those Ardent Lords and Archdeacons who chose to personally accompany the army, with one of the Archdeacons chosen to herd all those cats. Despite this Archdeacon's work, the armies tend to function separately (if more or less marching at the same goal).

Religion: ...Yes.

Focus: If the Church has a focus, it has been on spreading their teachings to others, focusing on the needy (either because they can benefit more from Lyseni's protection or because they are more susceptible to conversion, take your pick) and occasionally trying to convert nobles and other important people who seem open to this faith.

Secrets: Um...it's not exactly important to my nation concept. Maybe some of the secrets which are more commonly-known in the region? Maybe some wild magic stuff? That sounds fun.

Artifacts: Again, not important to the concept. Possibly something theological-ey? Like enchanted candelabras or holy swords or something? Something fire-themed, ideally.

Leader: Hierophant Polina, who has been described before.

How's this?

Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

The Tale of Demman, Second King of Ireland, a CKII AAR, won a WritAAR of the Week award. Winner of Villainous Competition 8
    Fanfic

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Hopefully, this can be shoehorned into the timeline somewhere...

Spoiler: Nation Description
    Show

According to legend, Lyseni took human form during the Fourth Age, hoping to show his people the way and save them from the Ascendant and other calamities of the era. He preached and performed miracles, and ultimately sacrificed himself in a raging inferno to slay a great Khaloric beast. The noble-turned-priest Saalios claimed to have received visions from Lyseni; others did as well, but the churches who followed those others wound up scattered or destroyed in the decades that followed, with Saalios's church surviving.
    The new Lysenic faith slowly spread across the region, and more quickly once King Stathis converted and made it the official religion of his tribe, once he won the little civil war he was involved in.
    Ever since then, the Lysenic faith spread across the region, both among the Imperial remnants and the Raptor States, thanks to the work of missionaries and generals alike. Some repulsed the ideas and stuck to their own, others converted, and some started at one but came to the other after a bit of argumentum ad bacalum.
    As religions do, Lysenism schismed into a variety of competing faiths, each declaring all the others heresies based on various doctrinal differences that usually didn't manifest as meaningful differences to laypeople. Finally, an immortal priestess named Polina gathered a council of leaders from across the region to a town called Nać. There, they discussed theology and laid out what, exactly, was canonical to prevent such splits from happening again. Some clever and influential speakers tried to lead the debate towards agreeing with their positions and demonizing their opponents, but Polina leveraged her power and the respect others had for her to quash and excommunicate such people. Ultimately, the Council of Nać came to a set of conclusions which were spread across the land. In the process, Polina was appointed Hierophant and Archdeacon of Nać, and created a system of Archdeacons, Deacons, and Priests to oversee religious life.

Since then, the church has attempted to spread its influence across the region, converting as many people and small nations as possible. In general, the church has let the secular power structures of these regions stay more or less intact, aside from breaking unruly or reluctant kingdoms and duchies into individual fiefdoms and occasionally having local archdeacons take control of a region until a proper (and Church-accepting) government can be restored. The Church has land it owns directly, even entire baronies and counties which come together as one theocracy called Naća, but most of its direct power comes from those secular leaders who nevertheless follow the Church's mandates, known as the Ardent Lords.
    In practice, Naća and the lands of the Ardent Lords, collectively but informally known as the Naćan Empire, is a largely-decentralized state. There are relatively few violent quarrels between the Ardent Lords (no more than within any feudal realm), and the resources of the Ardent Lords are often donated or tithes to various sacred projects.

Spoiler: Application
    Show

Name: The Forthright and Righteous Church of Our Celestial Custodian Lyseni (or Church of Lyseni for short).

Desired Color: Let's go with some kind of gold.

Races: Auroran, Krakari

Heritage: Holy Auroran Empire

Territory: Somewhere near the boundary between traditional Holy Auroran Empire lands and the old Raptor States.

History: See above. Short version: New religion cropped up, people started spreading it, some important guy converted and spread it further, schisms, Hierophant Polina got appointed to that position due to both being an awesome immortal person and her role in forcing everyone to get along, general spread.

Values: The prime value of this de facto theocratic mini-empire is, surprise surprise, faith. You're expected to be faithful or be quiet. Heresy is met with something on a spectrum between deep irritation and war, depending on how serious the heretic is about their viewpoints; the Hierophant continues to stick by the canon established at Nać, and wants to ensure her faithful never devolve into that mess of schisms and heresies which existed before Nać. This has lead to backlash from those who dislike some of the older-fashioned values she upholds, which feeds into some of those heresies. Still, those stay far enough out of the areas the Church controls to not cause too many issues.
    Like other worshipers of Lyseni, the Church is into retribution big time. You do something wrong, you get punished in this life and the next; it doesn't matter if you're some impoverished peasant, a mighty merchant-lord, or even an entire country.
    There is also a "social justice" aspect which some focus on, although not in those terms; just as the church punishes those who have not receive their deserved suffering, they try to alleviate the suffering of those who do not deserve it. This has earned them a fair few converts. This is in part due to an almost ironic element of right-to-freedom in the Naćan canon; while all mortals ought serve the gods loyally and unquestioningly (and slavishly, though they would never even think of it in those terms), no mortal should restrict the freedoms of any other mortal.

Military: Each of the Ardent Lords maintains their own levies, and often knights or other full-time soldiers. When the Church declares some group as an enemy, the Lords mass their armies as one alongside the armies of Naća and an assortment of those who wish to prove their worth to the church, Lyseni, or perhaps a mere mortal. This leads to armies with many individual generals, usually organized under those Ardent Lords and Archdeacons who chose to personally accompany the army, with one of the Archdeacons chosen to herd all those cats. Despite this Archdeacon's work, the armies tend to function separately (if more or less marching at the same goal).

Religion: ...Yes.

Focus: If the Church has a focus, it has been on spreading their teachings to others, focusing on the needy (either because they can benefit more from Lyseni's protection or because they are more susceptible to conversion, take your pick) and occasionally trying to convert nobles and other important people who seem open to this faith.

Secrets: Um...it's not exactly important to my nation concept. Maybe some of the secrets which are more commonly-known in the region? Maybe some wild magic stuff? That sounds fun.

Artifacts: Again, not important to the concept. Possibly something theological-ey? Like enchanted candelabras or holy swords or something? Something fire-themed, ideally.

Leader: Hierophant Polina, who has been described before.

How's this?
    Your sheet looks fine to me right now, I'll be approaching everyone soon (hopefully) about how to integrate each nation into the game world so I'll be talking to you about things soon.

As mentioned in the template you're going to effectively start as a city state so keep that in mind.

I take Lyseni is Lysei?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought I'd caught all the times I made that mistake...

Quotes, more

Fanfic

23. - Top - End - #23

Here is a current map as of Turn 59 (The turn starting today) for anyone interested. I'll be working on messaging everyone this week and getting us all on the same page for the future, as I would like prospective applicants to be able to post during the timeskip week about their nations.

Spoiler: Turn 58 Map (December 1183)
    Show

Spoiler: Legend (Turn 58)
    Show

Nations, Current and Past (Prominent Maps):
    The Ajivhan Khaganate - Sage Green and Dark Blue
    The Disciples of Awn - Yellow and Brown
    ---
    The Grand Duchy of Xule (The Empire of Aurora) - Red and White
    The Corpus Verde (The Empire of Aurora) - Purple and Light Blue
    The Khaloric Swarm (The Empire of Aurora) - Banded Green and Purple
    The Kingdom of Nova Aurora (The Empire of Aurora) - White and Red
    ---
    The Dead Republic - White and Black
    The Empire of the Basalt Throne - Dark Grey and Yellow
    The Harconin Protectorate - Light Grey and Orange
    New Avringae - Dark Green and Grey
    The Rising Light - Yellow and Red
    The Silverplume Confederacy - Dark Blue and Pale Green

Existing Cultures (Original Maps):
    The Ajivhan Khaganate - Green
    The Dead Republic - White (and Black)
    The Deep Tribes - Grey
    The Grat Shae - Brown
    The Kingdom of Mereton - Yellow
    The Raptor States - Blue
    The Ray-Das - Light Blue
    The Tribes of Aurora - Purple

Overrun Areas (Original Maps):
    The Ajivhan Desert / The Ajivhan Wastes - Red (Desert)
    The Ghost Marshes / The Aetherial Collective - Red (Marshlands)
    Navasti Isles - Red (Southwest Islands)
    Old Great Heathen Army Territory - Red (Southeast Islands)
    Last edited by Anti-Eagle; 2018-01-20 at 01:19 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Turn 60 has begun. If you have interest and have not posted a sheet I ask that you please say something and/or post a sheet soon.

I'll be messaging everyone again in a few days, new nations will be allowed to post their first during the timeskip week.

25. - Top - End - #25

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...1#post22811739

Timeskip 2 has begun. New players are free to post this week including actions. As described double-actions are used during the timeskip allowing you to effectively do twice what you would normally be allowed during a week within the limit of five different things as is usual.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to ask them, I'll be available during the week for the most part.

26. - Top - End - #26

Default Re: Only Ruins: a Nation Game (Recruitment Drive 2)

As a message and reminder to the new players, Turn 61 begins on Saturday after I post the update. This is the point where the five year timeskip ends. If you're having any issues or need to ask anything let me know.