Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    That Mask looks awfully familiar.
    I have all these great commissions lyin' around, why not use them?

I'm specifically inspired by Sgt. Friedkin from Dirk Gently, though, and my ol' buddy Longarm was like a pre-emptive illustration of that jerk.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2018-01-06 at 05:58 AM.
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yes. This is using the new 2E Changeling rules. They're not technically, y'know, out yet. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...st-2nd-edition

However, everyone here has some way to access them so that we can play a game with them. Chat me on discord.
    Is there any way I could be included in the linkage, please? Although I am sitting this out, I'd like to understand the rules.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

3. - Top - End - #33

Awesome, cool connections are starting to shake out. I'd just like one more thing from each of you before we're good to start doing character sheets and such.

Please name and briefly detail two weirdoes you knew, even if only in passing, from your ordinary life. From the elderly English teacher with the heart shaped glasses to the motorbiking skinhead who sidelines in naturalistic poetry. Don't suppose anything about their supernatural side if any, just tell me a story about a couple of Prosperpine's odd ducks like a friend relating some funny stories. Behind-the-back gossip is the right tone for this, it'll really help me flesh out the local community.

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Is there any way I could be included in the linkage, please? Although I am sitting this out, I'd like to understand the rules.
    Send me an email (thanqol[underscore][at]Hotmail[dot]com).
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Please name and briefly detail two weirdoes you knew, even if only in passing, from your ordinary life. From the elderly English teacher with the heart shaped glasses to the motorbiking skinhead who sidelines in naturalistic poetry. Don't suppose anything about their supernatural side if any, just tell me a story about a couple of Prosperpine's odd ducks like a friend relating some funny stories. Behind-the-back gossip is the right tone for this, it'll really help me flesh out the local community.
    You know, I haven't figured out how long I've been gone, so keep that in mind. Maybe some of these people I talk about from school are, like, college grads now, or working full time.

But anyway, first, let me tell you about Tiffany. I hated Tiffany. Tiffany was that girl in school, the one who's a trendsetter, who everybody loves. Her dad was a sugar baron or something, and I'm telling you right now that she was not cool! I mean, she was. Everybody thought she was the coolest, but her styles were like those terrible vintage 1970s sweaters made of that cheap fake wool material, and then she decided she was into vintage clothes and everybody at school but me was suddenly wearing them a week later. They're ugly and itchy, and she is not cool! And then there was the time she got into those shoes with roller skates. You know, the ones that are like for 5 year olds, but apparently they make them in bigger sizes too, and within a few days everybody was wearing them, and somebody called me a dweeb because I couldn't skate on my shoes. But I'm telling you, she is not cool! I hate Tiffany so much. I don't even know what she's into now, but I'm sure it's stupid and everyone is doing it anyway. But seriously, she's not cool!

Then there was Mr. Sergei, the high school math teacher. Now, he was seriously not cool, but he was so lovable that he kinda looped back around to being cool. He was Russian of course, and basically looked like a bear. Big dark curly hair falling down to his ears and a super thick black beard. Hairy hands, hairy arms, hairy knuckles. Dude was totally like a bear. But his teaching was like up there in the clouds. Like, when he was trying to explain math stuff, he used to always replace the numbers and weird terms with, like, fruits and stars and unicorns and stuff. Like, he'd label a triangle with happy cloud, apple, and unicorn and then tell us about how the Sin of the angle was apple over happy cloud or something. It worked though, it was really easy to memorize as long as you made the link at some point that happy cloud was the hypotenuse.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2018-01-09 at 02:55 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.Ē
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hi! (If we haven't been introduced, send me a PM, or poke me on Steam (same name))

Once upon a time there was a young man named Jim.

Jim felt like the luckiest guy in the world, for he loved a girl named Veronica, and Veronica loved him. She was beautiful and clever, sweet and funny, and Jim thought they would be together forever, for she never seemed anything but happy to him. But her joy was a mask, for in her heart she carried a profound sadness, and this sadness could not find its way out. And so, carrying her sadness alone, she went out into the night and there she drowned herself in a murky lake among the reeds and water lilies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alas, I am not privileged enough to post links or images yet. Woe is me!

You will have to use your mighty powers of copy-paste to pay poor Veronica your respects: thon94rt.deviantart.com/art/berdua-632767174

Jim was heart-broken when he learned of her fate. He went to the lake and knelt there in the early morning, as the sun was just rising, looking into the water for some kind of answer or any chance of seeing her again. But no answer came, and after he'd sat there for times unknown, he lay a single rose upon the water, got up, and went home in dismay and sorrow. He came back the next day, kneeling down and laying another rose upon the water in memory of Veronica, the love of his life. Day after day, on the same hour early in the morning, he repeated his devotion, hoping, praying for an answer or a show of pity, or anything at all.

Maybe something out there with a heart of compassion would have taken pity on these two lovers, but it was Jealousy whose green eyes took note of this young man and his tragic devotion, and Jealousy felt cheated most cruelly. Why should this weak and worthless girl, who'd drowned herself and wasted her life, be worthy of such display of affection and devotion? And so Jealousy did appear to Jim, and she stole him away, and the lake dried up and was paved over with a parking lot, and the girl's memory forgotten. For such was Jealousy's spite for her.

Jealousy made Jim bring her tributes: stolen or earned through whatever means it took him, the more difficult or costly to obtain the more precious they were to Jealousy, and the more she demanded of him the next time. She made him shower her with love and affection, and when--in the end--that wasn't enough for Jealousy, she took his love, ripped it from his soul and kept it with her always. Unable to feel love like he'd once felt it for Veronica, he nearly became lost forever, forgotten, discarded among the shells of Jealousy's once-treasured possessions. For no matter how useless or hollowed out they all became with time and use, Jealousy never let go of what she considered hers, and so Jim languished in her domain ...

Until one day he heard a voice, so strange and unfamiliar in its kindness.

SLAVE
    So much had been taken from you. It wasn't until you heard a kind voice that you realized how much you still had to give.
    - ______ was the first to treat me like a person in as long as I can remember.
    - I sacrificed something precious to safeguard ______, without their knowing.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stveje View Post
    Hi! (If we haven't been introduced, send me a PM, or poke me on Steam (same name))
    Hi there! I'm happy to PM later, but perhaps you'd like to introduce yourself here in the thread for everyone as well? I'm currently working under the assumption that Thanqol has invited you to this game. Maybe tell us a little about how you're connected and why this setting interests you?

I've been gaming on the playground continuously for the terrifyingly long period of nine years since I joined up. I'm also a lawyer, fan of My Little Pony (hence the avatar), and have been into WoD in some form since Thanqol got me to run Changeling 1E years ago.

Once upon a time there was a young man named Jim.
    Pretty solid character concept, Jealousy always leads to some interesting dramatic tension if nothing else, and leaving her grasp and agonizing over it later seems like a rich vein for storytelling. Also, if you are a completely random stranger who had no connection to this game and just popped in here, well done with the opening post, A+ for effort.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.Ē

7. - Top - End - #37

Hi there! I'm happy to PM later, but perhaps you'd like to introduce yourself here in the thread for everyone as well? I'm currently working under the assumption that Thanqol has invited you to this game. Maybe tell us a little about how you're connected and why this setting interests you?

I've been gaming on the playground continuously for the terrifyingly long period of nine years since I joined up. I'm also a lawyer, fan of My Little Pony (hence the avatar), and have been into WoD in some form since Thanqol got me to run Changeling 1E years ago.
    Stebly, Stev-jees, or the Stevster, has been my buddy since the early days of the pony fandom. He's actually written some really impressive and unusual pieces of fanfiction which was what caught my eye in the first place - ask him if he's cool with sharing with you. While he may be new to the playground we have a pretty long history of play by posts together so I trust him to hold up his end!

Stveje, this is Anarion, you might know him by reputation. He's a solid and dependable guy, the rock upon which a dozen games stand. I think you two will get along.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2018-01-10 at 08:43 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Heya, Stveje! Iím Raz, resident pretty-words-maker and flake. If this slows down, Iím the first one to point fingers at, essentially. Pleasure to meet you, canít wait to see you in action.

Hereís some music for the Pilgrim. A old fandom favorite thatís eerily appropriate, an eerie bit of goblin hymns, and an uncomfortably recontextualized Christian Top 40 from my youth.

And hereís some strange people.

April Knox used to date a hellion back in high school. They played in a pretty trashy band, smoked whatever they had to hand, and talked trash about how theyíd eventually make it big. Then a few years after graduation, a few years of spinning wheels and rough living, he dumped her hard, dumped his side gal too, and focused furiously on getting into university. Heís in Accounting somewhere now; he got out, April didnít. So she turned around and married Pete Wesham, mostly out of spite, and we all know how that dumpster fire of a marriage ended up. Now sheís in her forties, living out of her truck, and makes art out of garbage. Like, itís actually pretty good, and she sells it out of a gas station parking lot. Some people get awfully twitchy around her art, which can get a little artsy-weird, and ask her strange questions about whether sheís actually seen the things she sculpts. Nah, she shoots back, just think them all up myself.

Lucy (formerly Liam) Marone came back to Proserpine, which isnít a thing that happens. If you get out, you get out. But back she came, dropping money like sheíd struck gold, which is odd because she sure donít dress like a rich person. She flinches like sheís been shot whenever she hears a loud or unexpected noise, reportedly attends therapy sessions over webcam in her beach house, and exists in an uncomfortable grey area in the townís social hierarchies. People say they seen her up and down the beach with a backpack and a shovel, walking with determination, but she flatly denies it when itís brought up, so people mostly say it behind her back with vigor. They say uglier things about her, too.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Heya, Stveje! Iím Raz, resident pretty-words-maker and flake. If this slows down, Iím the first one to point fingers at, essentially. Pleasure to meet you, canít wait to see you in action.
    Boy, this is super awkward :)

I should have mentioned that Thanqol invited me, at least.

Anyway, hi! my name is Sebastian. You may have known me as a lethal little fellow who writes weird stuff, often about things eating other things, but now I've become a beautiful, fluffy pegasus with an edge of deadliness. It's a classic H. C. Andersen fairy tale.

Pretty solid character concept, Jealousy always leads to some interesting dramatic tension if nothing else, and leaving her grasp and agonizing over it later seems like a rich vein for storytelling. Also, if you are a completely random stranger who had no connection to this game and just popped in here, well done with the opening post, A+ for effort.
    Thanks. I was getting frustrated with my other character concepts, almost ready to call it quits. But then I was sitting there sulking and looking at my computer's wallpaper, and the story slowly formed. I liked its extreme simplicity, which reminded me that fairy tales often are extremely simplistic stories, that this is basically their defining trait.

Funnily enough, Jim seems to be looping back around to something like my first idea, actually: a Fairest with a talent for thievery and pretty words. But he's very solidly Winter, and my first idea was Spring.

Stebly, Stev-jees, or the Stevster,
    I wish GitP had a displayname feature. I've been staring death at that lower-case "s", but I swore consistency like a monk to celibacy.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

10. - Top - End - #40

Heyo Stveje! I'm Amish, resident lurker who snuck onto the roster while nobody was looking.

I write software, and make games on the side. Ponies got me to this forum, which got me to writing, which got me to PBP games, which got me to a FO:E game Thanqol was running, and that chain of causality's made it very difficult to pinpoint exactly where I lost control of my life. I'm having a grand time, so I don't mind much. Glad to have you on board!

Does this mean we're at 6 players now? Dang. I can't remember being in a game with that many for a long time.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Heyo Stveje! I'm Amish, resident lurker who snuck onto the roster while nobody was looking.

I write software, and make games on the side. Ponies got me to this forum, which got me to writing, which got me to PBP games, which got me to a FO:E game Thanqol was running, and that chain of causality's made it very difficult to pinpoint exactly where I lost control of my life. I'm having a grand time, so I don't mind much. Glad to have you on board!

Does this mean we're at 6 players now? Dang. I can't remember being in a game with that many for a long time.
    In an entirely unrelated coincidence, Deadly shall not be playing in this game.

In fact, screw Deadly! I hope I never see Deadly again! My far superior buddy Stebly is his replacement in every way!

12. - Top - End - #42

In an entirely unrelated coincidence, Deadly shall not be playing in this game.

In fact, screw Deadly! I hope I never see Deadly again! My far superior buddy Stebly is his replacement in every way!
    Alas, poor Deadly! I knew him; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

13. - Top - End - #43

Alas, poor Deadly! I knew him; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.
    (warning: jest may be less infinite than advertised, call your doctor if you experience jest lasting more than seven millennia)

Funnily enough, Jim seems to be looping back around to something like my first idea, actually: a Fairest with a talent for thievery and pretty words. But he's very solidly Winter, and my first idea was Spring.
    This gets to a question I've had trouble with; see, the Prince strikes me as one who'll shrink away from the Courts as organizations, because all throughout his Durance his role as the Prince - as the last, best defense against the Dragons - was a shackle forcing him to violence. I don't think he'll initially want anything to do with joining them, because he just got done running away from all that responsibility, and he'd rather be left on his own thank you very much.

But ideologically, I imagine that he's got to align more or less with one of the Courts. It's just hard to think about because every time I broach the subject, he gets all crabby on me.

14. - Top - End - #44

R.E. Your signature: Have you actually read Moby Dick? Most people who use that quote haven't. I did recently and it's a book written by a lunatic.

First off, it's super gay. Like, the entire opening eight chapters is him talking himself into sleeping in the same bed as this devastatingly attractive black man, having super cute pillow talk with him, and then learning about his background and religion. It's that weirdly charming Victorian doublethink bit where he's cognitive dissonancing through all his racism and closeted homosexuality.

Second off, it's super WHALE FACTS. Every second chapter takes you out of the story to give you some WHALE FACTS. Like, from the protocol of whaling ships meeting each other, to extensive categorization of every known whale species, to obscure uses for whale by-products. It's super boring and super obsessive and filled with long rants about how whalers are the best of humanity and everyone else is scum by comparison.

Thirdly, it's super insane. My Moby Dick secret conspiracy theory is that Ishmael and Ahab are the same person. Ahab is this person that Ishmael made up so he could be like, 'oh, I'm not a lunatic who's obsessed with whales - BY THE WAY ENGLAND USED FORTY EIGHT THOUSAND TONNES OF WHALE OIL BETWEEN 1843-1845 - who got his ship wrecked and all his crew killed due to my whale obsession. No, that was Ahab. Ahab. Call me Ishmael.' Further evidence for this is that as soon as Ahab appears in the story Ishmael never actually does anything, he just kind of wallflowers, gives WHALE FACTS, and relates other peoples' conversations - usually by hiding out listening to Ahab's conversations SUSPICIOUSLY ENOUGH.

It was a really weird book.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2018-01-11 at 06:48 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

This is all my fault. I've driven us all to ruin.

This gets to a question I've had trouble with; see, the Prince strikes me as one who'll shrink away from the Courts as organizations, because all throughout his Durance his role as the Prince - as the last, best defense against the Dragons - was a shackle forcing him to violence. I don't think he'll initially want anything to do with joining them, because he just got done running away from all that responsibility, and he'd rather be left on his own thank you very much.

But ideologically, I imagine that he's got to align more or less with one of the Courts. It's just hard to think about because every time I broach the subject, he gets all crabby on me.
    So, like, I don't really know how Thanqol is going to run the courts exactly, but here's my take on them. The Courts, they're structure.

See, one of the things with Changeling is you get back and the world is messed up for you. Your fetch has your old life, you've got barely anything to ground you, you can't really trust your perceptions, and you're being hunted. You need something, some part of the world that sees you and lets you ground yourself with other people who are like you and get you. But, those people are also like you in having all sorts of trauma, fear, paranoia and so forth. So they build up structure. That's the thing about the Courts. People get the Seasons or the Sun and Moon and so forth. It's old, sturdy symbolism. The titles, knights, duties, obligations, oaths, balls, all that stuff, people get it. It's formal, there are specific ways of behaving, oaths to enforce the behavior, duties and roles and titles. And Changelings fit into those things. The most screwed up PTSD victim Changeling is often still capable of being a proper courtier.

So, don't think of it as you hating this structure or not. You can hate it. But it's usually the only game in town. The alternatives are being alone in a world you can't trust or hanging around with a bunch of crazy people without anything to unite them. It looks a lot better all of a sudden, right? And besides, you don't even have to be THE PRINCE in court. You can try, but there are going to be kings and queens too already there. Maybe you want to be the prince of the winter ball organizing committee, or you'd rather pretend to be in hiding and take on the role of a lowly squire. Look at the Courts as a necessity and see where you can fit yourself into that context in the most tolerable way.

I never finished it, myself. I read the first couple chapters, was like "these WHALE FACTS are kinda boring" and stopped reading it. Bartleby the Scrivener hit me pretty hard though. That is a very impactful short story.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

16. - Top - End - #46

R.E. Your signature: Have you actually read Moby Dick? Most people who use that quote haven't. I did recently and it's a book written by a lunatic.

First off, it's super gay. Like, the entire opening eight chapters is him talking himself into sleeping in the same bed as this devastatingly attractive black man, having super cute pillow talk with him, and then learning about his background and religion. It's that weirdly charming Victorian doublethink bit where he's cognitive dissonancing through all his racism and closeted homosexuality.

Second off, it's super WHALE FACTS. Every second chapter takes you out of the story to give you some WHALE FACTS. Like, from the protocol of whaling ships meeting each other, to extensive categorization of every known whale species, to obscure uses for whale by-products. It's super boring and super obsessive and filled with long rants about how whalers are the best of humanity and everyone else is scum by comparison.

Thirdly, it's super insane. My Moby Dick secret conspiracy theory is that Ishmael and Ahab are the same person. Ahab is this person that Ishmael made up so he could be like, 'oh, I'm not a lunatic who's obsessed with whales - BY THE WAY ENGLAND USED FORTY EIGHT THOUSAND TONNES OF WHALE OIL BETWEEN 1843-1845 - who got his ship wrecked and all his crew killed due to my whale obsession. No, that was Ahab. Ahab. Call me Ishmael.' Further evidence for this is that as soon as Ahab appears in the story Ishmael never actually does anything, he just kind of wallflowers, gives WHALE FACTS, and relates other peoples' conversations - usually by hiding out listening to Ahab's conversations SUSPICIOUSLY ENOUGH.

No, I've been meaning to read it, like so many other classics. And now I'm even more inclined to read it Bring on the WHALE FACTS and the gay lunatics!
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

17. - Top - End - #47

So, like, I don't really know how Thanqol is going to run the courts exactly, but here's my take on them. The Courts, they're structure.

See, one of the things with Changeling is you get back and the world is messed up for you. Your fetch has your old life, you've got barely anything to ground you, you can't really trust your perceptions, and you're being hunted. You need something, some part of the world that sees you and lets you ground yourself with other people who are like you and get you. But, those people are also like you in having all sorts of trauma, fear, paranoia and so forth. So they build up structure. That's the thing about the Courts. People get the Seasons or the Sun and Moon and so forth. It's old, sturdy symbolism. The titles, knights, duties, obligations, oaths, balls, all that stuff, people get it. It's formal, there are specific ways of behaving, oaths to enforce the behavior, duties and roles and titles. And Changelings fit into those things. The most screwed up PTSD victim Changeling is often still capable of being a proper courtier.

So, don't think of it as you hating this structure or not. You can hate it. But it's usually the only game in town. The alternatives are being alone in a world you can't trust or hanging around with a bunch of crazy people without anything to unite them. It looks a lot better all of a sudden, right? And besides, you don't even have to be THE PRINCE in court. You can try, but there are going to be kings and queens too already there. Maybe you want to be the prince of the winter ball organizing committee, or you'd rather pretend to be in hiding and take on the role of a lowly squire. Look at the Courts as a necessity and see where you can fit yourself into that context in the most tolerable way.
    Yeah, at their best they're communities and shared coping mechanisms. At their best they're support groups, defensive pacts, and knowledge sharing circles. At their worst they're still the only people in the world who could possibly understand you. They also represent powerful bargains with constant natural forces, a cycle of predictable change that grounds you in the natural world. Even at their worst they're still better than the Gentry.

That said, the Prosperpine Courts in particular are super messed up; totally negative manifestations of their guiding emotions. Winter is in the aspect of despair, Spring as Denial, Summer as Rage, Autumn as Bargaining, none of them are remotely healthy. I'll talk more about this later.

No, I've been meaning to read it, like so many other classics. And now I'm even more inclined to read it Bring on the WHALE FACTS and the gay lunatics!
    I mean... it's not good. Don't read it expecting to be entertained. Read it expecting a vague story broken up by ever more obsessive and wild-eyed WHALE FACTS. And you might get something out of that! It's unique in that sense.

If you want to actually be entertained by the story, I really recommend this naked dude's version.

18. - Top - End - #48

Yeah, at their best they're communities and shared coping mechanisms. At their best they're support groups, defensive pacts, and knowledge sharing circles. At their worst they're still the only people in the world who could possibly understand you. They also represent powerful bargains with constant natural forces, a cycle of predictable change that grounds you in the natural world. Even at their worst they're still better than the Gentry.

That said, the Prosperpine Courts in particular are super messed up; totally negative manifestations of their guiding emotions. Winter is in the aspect of despair, Spring as Denial, Summer as Rage, Autumn as Bargaining, none of them are remotely healthy. I'll talk more about this later.
    Thanks for these explanations, they're really helpful for getting my expectations of the courts right. I'm going to have a lot of time this weekend - on account of being in that awkward quarantine state of "symptom-free, but still probably contagious" - and I'll dedicate some of that time to re-familiarize myself with the setting and rulebook. Most of my exposure to Changeling is either old, secondhand, or both, and I want to make sure I've done the proper prepwork leading into this thing. And that'll also help answer my question on what Court the Prince might begrudgingly fancy.

You can hate it. But it's usually the only game in town.
    Really, these two sentences are a gold mine of tasty, tasty drama, and perfectly applicable to the Prince.

And besides, you don't even have to be THE PRINCE in court. You can try, but there are going to be kings and queens too already there. Maybe you want to be the prince of the winter ball organizing committee, or you'd rather pretend to be in hiding and take on the role of a lowly squire. Look at the Courts as a necessity and see where you can fit yourself into that context in the most tolerable way.
    As far as this guy is concerned, it's less a matter of being the Prince, and more a matter of being forced to be the Prince. Of others deciding the role for him.

It's like this; suppose you're enjoying a drink with your fellows at the end of a hard day's surviving, when a rumor of peril and wolves comes panting through the door. Now there's a time, see, between the arrival of bad news and the Right People taking up the case, and that's some of the longest time you'll ever spend. Everybody'll be looking 'round the room, as if locating the man for the job would somehow hurry him on his way. Now suppose in that room, there's a man with a great, shining sword, the scars of a thousand battles, the handsome face of a kindly ruler, and the presence of an unconquered mountain. Won't all eyes be on him? Won't his name be first on everyone's list, even if he's just a lowly courtier?

That's how he sees it happening, anyway. The best way to keep his name off the list is to not be in that room in the first place. But it's like you said; what other choices does he have?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

It's like this; suppose you're enjoying a drink with your fellows at the end of a hard day's surviving, when a rumor of peril and wolves comes panting through the door. Now there's a time, see, between the arrival of bad news and the Right People taking up the case, and that's some of the longest time you'll ever spend. Everybody'll be looking 'round the room, as if locating the man for the job would somehow hurry him on his way. Now suppose in that room, there's a man with a great, shining sword, the scars of a thousand battles, the handsome face of a kindly ruler, and the presence of an unconquered mountain. Won't all eyes be on him? Won't his name be first on everyone's list, even if he's just a lowly courtier?

That's how he sees it happening, anyway. The best way to keep his name off the list is to not be in that room in the first place. But it's like you said; what other choices does he have?
    This makes sense. But when the choice is huddling out in the freezing blizzard or sitting in the corner of the bar with your beer and giving surly growls to anyone who so much as looks at you sideways, I think the right choice is clear.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

20. - Top - End - #50

This makes sense. But when the choice is huddling out in the freezing blizzard or sitting in the corner of the bar with your beer and giving surly growls to anyone who so much as looks at you sideways, I think the right choice is clear.
    Are you mad?! That's the leading cause of adventuring parties!

21. - Top - End - #51

Questions! I have many.

We're talking the town of Proserpine (not ProsPerpine?) between Townsville and Mackay, right?

Can we get a summary of everyone's Narratives? And are we supposed to fill the blanks ourselves, or let others bid on them?

Do we start at 0 xp? Fresh out of the Hedge, or how established are we assumed to be?

Can someone please tell me, how many merits you get? I could swear the new edition gave you 10 merits to start, but everywhere I look it says 7, and I'm like, but that's barely any! :(

Do 2e changelings still get a free dot in the Mantle of their choice?

Let me tell you a little about Veronica. Veronica was a wiz at tech stuff, computers and such, but she wasn't one of those thick-glassed nerds hiding in their basements, for whom the screen was their life and who dreamed of cracking codes and making love to their calculators (on which they'd installed chat bots of their own design). That wasn't Veronica (well, one or two of those calculators may have been named Veronica, purely by coincidence I'm sure). She was more about the hardware than the software--though she wasn't lacking in coding chops--and her dream was to be a pro gamer, competing internationally. Gaming was her passion, and she was deeply competitive, always fine-tuning her gear and her skill to beat others. She could be a bit obsessive, honestly.

Despite her choice of passion, she was also popular, unlike her basement-dwelling nerd-kins. Not super popular or anything, but she had friends that she hung out with, popular kids, cool kids, good-looking kids like herself. In this way, she was more akin to the jocks and athletes than the nerds. She was silent, though, never spoke much (except when she lost something, where her mouth became something foul ... foul, but cute). She hung out with them, and she seemed content just being among her clique of friends. And maybe she was. Maybe her sadness had nothing to do with friends or popularity. But no one knew, because she never told anyone what she really felt, or why, finally, she couldn't bear to keep on living. Not to my knowledge, anyway. The letter she left behind simply said, "Sorry."

Veronica is dead (if you can ever be certain in this world), so maybe she doesn't count. But there are plenty of weirdos I can tell you about.

Like NeMo. I think his real name is Matthew, but no one that I know calls him that. It's a contraction of Neo and Morpheus, because he looks like a long-haired freak-child of said two characters and always dresses in Matrix style clothes: long black leather coat, the whole theatrical deal, like he dressed up one day and never realized that the LARP was over. He sold drugs; otherwise I never talked to him, but I saw him frequently, striding - not walking, never just walking - around town like everyone didn't stop and stare at him. I wonder what he's up to these days; maybe he's finally dropped the Matrix act and adopted a Mad Max style instead, but I don't honestly know which would surprise me more.

Then there's Rosalyn, an elderly woman who works at a store down by the docks. Her father was a fisherman, or so I hear, so I guess she never had much hope of escaping the docks, much less the town. She's decent enough, friendly enough. You wouldn't really look at her twice, except she must have been a real looker in her youth because even now she could probably seduce a lot of younger men. But that's not so strange--I mean, not that strange--what makes her weird is her house, because it's got almost as many antennas as a cell tower, and she always carries a small portable radio that she listens to. And you can tell she listens to it, not like normal people who have it running in the background with music that passes right through their ears without barely touching their brains. Maybe she just really likes radios. I mean, we all have our hobbies.

I don't have any songs, yet, but have a poem: poetryfoundation.org/poems/45288/the-garden-of-proserpine
    Last edited by stveje; 2018-01-14 at 09:24 AM.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

22. - Top - End - #52

Questions! I have many.

We're talking the town of Proserpine (not ProsPerpine?) between Townsville and Mackay, right?
    I was inspired by Proserpine but I character-shifted it to Prosperpine because I wanted to be a little less tethered to reality.

Most of my actual imagery and inspiration is drawn from a town called Forster in NSW where my grandparents live. It's a town that has a bridge, and is proud of its bridge.

Can we get a summary of everyone's Narratives? And are we supposed to fill the blanks ourselves, or let others bid on them?
    It's exactly the same as Apocalypse World HX so assign it to other people.

Do we start at 0 xp? Fresh out of the Hedge, or how established are we assumed to be?
    Fresh outside, 0xp! Maybe a week in town, tops.

Can someone please tell me, how many merits you get? I could swear the new edition gave you 10 merits to start, but everywhere I look it says 7, and I'm like, but that's barely any! :(
    It should be 10. 2E changed it to 10 across the board, 1E was 7.

Do 2e changelings still get a free dot in the Mantle of their choice?
    Yes!

Let me tell you a little about Veronica.

Like NeMo.

Then there's Rosalyn,
    These are great, you are great.

E: One of my friends was basically NeMo - as he tells it 'being a Goth in Queensland takes commitment'. Hurrying from shade patch to shade patch while sweating under two coats, six belts and thick makeup is not for the faint of heart.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2018-01-14 at 05:53 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Razís Changeling will be the Woodsman.
    The Woodsman brings a princess out into the woods to kill her, but cannot bring himself to do so; he slaughters a ram and makes of it a burnt offering before the LORD. The Woodsman tears open the wolfís belly and fills it with stones, but cannot hide the hair on his palms and the gleam of his own eyes.
    I saved _____________ from great danger in the Hedge through my strength and my cunning.
    I would have become a Hob but for ___________ convincing me to follow them out of the Hedge.

Anarionís Changeling is likely to be the Princess.
    The Princess begins every story in luxury, and yet the story happens regardless, spiriting her away to hardship and strange magic. Her innocence brings the beasts of the wild to heel, and she exists to be adored, protected and rescued from misfortune, whatever her opinions on the matter may be.
    ________ was mistrustful or hostile when we met, but I convinced them otherwise.
    ________ rescued me when I was in terrible peril.

Amishís Changeling will be the Wayward Prince.
    The Wayward Prince has been given everything and has ten thousand world-shattering arrows in his quiver, and yet abandons his title and his armaments in the name of true contentment. The Wayward Prince sets aside his crown in order that he may know what kind of man he truly is, yet fears that the road will lead him inevitably to the crown lying among the weeds.
    I sought another path, but ________ called me to my duty.
    _________ was beset by many foes, but the horde could not withstand me.

Elanorinís Changeling will be the Slave.
    The Slave works ceaselessly to clean the empty house of a monster, and is promised ceaselessly that there shall be jam tomorrow; never jam today. The Slave sits among the cinders of the fire and knows herself too tired to continue on, and yet that she has promises to keep, and miles to go before she sleeps.
    ______ was the first to treat me like a person in as long as I can remember.
    I sacrificed something precious to safeguard ______, without their knowing.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

24. - Top - End - #54

This just in: The Changeling book is packed with words. And they just keep coming! Where did they find them all, and how did they get them to stay on the page like that?

I'm through the Spring bit, which covered the Courts and their philosophies. My gut is telling me this guy's a Winter - in mourning for the parts of himself that he's lost and what he's become - but my gut is also telling me that may change over the course of play. Is that a thing that happens? Changelings switching Courts because their personal views have changed?

(Summer is going to want him on their team, but they ain't getting him. Not off the bat, anyway.)

25. - Top - End - #55

This just in: The Changeling book is packed with words. And they just keep coming! Where did they find them all, and how did they get them to stay on the page like that?
    Like this!

I'm through the Spring bit, which covered the Courts and their philosophies. My gut is telling me this guy's a Winter - in mourning for the parts of himself that he's lost and what he's become - but my gut is also telling me that may change over the course of play.

Is that a thing that happens? Changelings switching Courts because their personal views have changed?
    As is well established by the fact that seasons never change IRL, Changelings are likewise prohibited from ever changing their emotions and thereby their Courts.

(The whole point of the seasonal courts is that the concepts of 'peaceful, ritual transfer of power', 'the existence of eternal laws larger than solipsistic individuals' or 'growing and changing as a person' are fundamentally alien to the Gentry. One of the True Fae can literally not conceive of the idea of a King handing over their power to anyone else in exchange for nothing, no catch and no loopholes. It's as alien to Arcadia as it gets, which is why it's fantastic for Changeling collective self-defense - even if it does mean a system of government that's a step away from watery tarts dispensing scimitars)

N.B.: Democracy is not a good form of government for those looking to avoid the True Fae because they instinctively understand the idea of popularity contests and how to rig them. "The saddest dude of all the dudes shall be king" is way harder for them to get their heads around.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2018-01-14 at 10:50 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm through the Spring bit, which covered the Courts and their philosophies. My gut is telling me this guy's a Winter - in mourning for the parts of himself that he's lost and what he's become - but my gut is also telling me that may change over the course of play. Is that a thing that happens? Changelings switching Courts because their personal views have changed?

(Summer is going to want him on their team, but they ain't getting him. Not off the bat, anyway.)
    One of my Changeling headcanons is that sometimes, you get the Mantle before the official declaration of Court. If you come out of Faerie swinging and pissing blood and full of red-hot wrath, you'll burn like the summer sun and peel away paint with your glance even before you meet these people who have an Official Deal with the season. If you turn them down, say no thanks, you're stuck with the season's fickle attention rather than contracts and deals, and you'll certainly have it fade away entirely if you join another Court- no double-dipping. But that's rare, because if you came out with the season's touch, it's because your approach and the season's nature are in sync, and the obvious thing is to make it official. But that's me, and my love of making the seasons more active / having a Mantle be a weird, numinous thing barely held in check by the contracts of the Court.

Back when I was first conceptualizing the Pilgrim months ago, I had trouble placing him in a Court simply because I envisioned him as a charred husk of a man, emotionally speaking. His loves, his burning desires, his goals: all scourged away in the name of purgation. It's telling that he only escaped by playing the story to its end, submitting to his Keeper's arcane rules and then being cast out like Eustace Scrubb with his skin scoured off by the Lion. The Pilgrim's ultimate loyalty would simply be to the Motley, rather than to a Court, and that because he would imprint upon the Motley and see in them a new cause to fight for, just as he fought for the sake of his companions in Arcadia.

Now that I've worked with him for a while, I'm struck by the fact that it's now difficult to pin down his Court because he feels too much, and each Court resonates with a part of him.

Spring's the first one I set aside, which is a shame, because a competently-run Spring Court could probably do the poor man some good. He was the sort of person pre-Durance who gave full reign to what C.S. Lewis might call his "disordered desires," and then was condemned to suffer for nebulously-defined sins, which would naturally cause some hang-ups when it comes to trying to build a new life. At some point he's going to have to acknowledge that a) he was a real jackass, and b) that doesn't justify what happened to him. But until then, Spring's clarion call is falling on deaf ears. (Which is not to say he does not still desire; far from it. Remember that scene in Deadpool in which our antihero watches his love from a distance, isolated by his freakish appearance and his shame? That's the situation with our own April Knox and the Pilgrim, with the addition of twenty-odd years of separation. He's just used to setting aside what he wants in favor of what everyone needs, and trying to scourge himself clean of his sins, each in equal measure. Hidden fires burn all the brighter.)

Winter is the next to be pried off his soul, though that's not to say he doesn't feel sorrow about what happened. It's just that he's spent years having to be the strong one, the practical one, and he hasn't had time to mourn properly. Even in the return, he'll sit and cry if the full weight of it hits him, but then he'll set himself to his next task, red-eyed and already moving on. Being inconspicuous isn't his style, anyhow; he always was the center of the field when two caravans met and fought over the right to be judged anew. (But for real, did you see the latest Pixar flick? All about the power of family and the necessity of memory passed down and how dreams must be balanced against our obligations? The Pilgrim would sob like a child, seeing what he never had. The closest he's ever had to a family was a motley band of sinners and degenerates in the wilderness. And now he's lost them, too.)

Now we get to the real trick: Summer or Autumn? On the one hand: he is the sort of person who will throw himself in front of danger on behalf of others, and the sort of person who has a lot of simmering fury at the judge who ruined his life, which screams high, hot Summer. On the other hand, he's spent years navigating strange wildernesses and befriending the unfortunate hobs who fell under judgment same as him, and he's afraid- afraid for everyone around him, afraid that they will be judged and found wanting, afraid that he will not be able to do enough for those he cares about. (Which, yes, is a list that mostly reads: the Motley.) At present, I lean towards Autumn, in part because I'm me and I love Autumn and sue me, in part because he is very much comfortable in the Hedge and had to be coaxed back out to the living world, and in part because his oathbound hedge beast companion seems like the sort of thing that Summer would frown upon.

Faerie is beautiful, and it is painful. Both these things are true. No amount of denial will change him back to who he was before, depression has no power over someone who went out day after day to clear a path and battle the beasts that lay on either side, and even his anger is reserved; in battle and on the field, he moved with a grim determination, an unstoppable and implacable force of nature. But bargaining? Trying to navigate to a safe harbor, trying to make the best of a bad situation, trying to uphold his end of a bad deal? He can do that.

Plus, you know, the ability to breathe out a storm. That's pretty cool.

(Plus, the whole holy terror theme.)

Anyway. As to the Wayward Prince. I could see a deliberate allegiance to Winter as being an attempt to sheathe his sword for good, a declaration that he intends to work through subtle means. I could also see it as reaching out, trying to be around people who understand that this is a goddamn tragedy, that you can't just ignore it or get angry about it or play shift-the-cost; you have to face it head-on, and accept that you have killed a lot of things and some of them may have been people, their eyes were too human or they tried to beg for mercy, and you have to live with that weight. Every day. Every morning you get up and you remember, and you bear it on your shoulders until you're strong enough to stand under it. And Winter remembers, and it whispers in the June chill that the best way to live in the Arctic is to build your house of snow, and it reaches with thin fingers to touch your tears and freeze them solid, one by one. But it also means knowing the secret pains and weights everyone else carries around, it means knowing what hurts your fellow survivors the most, it means tasting the cold sweetness of sorrow-glamour, it means using your pain as a lance when the Huntsmen come calling. Summer would coax you to fury against them, but Winter's voice is quiet, and it is a reminder that a trap hidden under the snow is more effective than a showdown at high noon.

And no one would expect the Hero to lie, or to have a contingency plan, or to play on the secret pains of the Huntsmen. A way of rebelling. A way of declaring that you are not what they made you be. That you are not the Hero anymore, and that you no longer have to play by their rules.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57

More about Jim himself and his time in Faery later. For now, a rough sheet without most of the Changeling template. I think I'm happy with his selection of merits, considering he's fresh out of the Hedge, and his stats: he's your above-average athletic, handsome guy, no single stat truly standing out. His Resolve has suffered greatly.

But I'm not sure I'm totally satisfied with the skills. Maybe it'll help once I get a better picture of who he was, and who he's become through his Durance. I think of him as a sort of person who is sly and charming but cold and calculating on the inside, who blends in well, and who can almost literally steal your heart. Also a bit of a wolf-in-sheep-clothes theme. Input is welcome.

Jim Shepherd
    Fairest ____, Winter Court

Virtue: Generous
    Vice: Arrogant

Int 2 Str 3 Pre 3
    Wit 3 Agi 3 Man 3
    Res 1 Sta 2 Com 2

SKILLS
    Academics 3
    Politics 1

Athletics 3
    Larceny 5
    Stealth 3

Expression 3
    Socialize 2
    Subterfuge 2

MERITS
    Winter Mantle 3
    Cold Hearted 3
    Patient 1
    Sleight of Hand 3
    Untouchable 1
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

More about Jim himself and his time in Faery later. For now, a rough sheet without most of the Changeling template. I think I'm happy with his selection of merits, considering he's fresh out of the Hedge, and his stats: he's your above-average athletic, handsome guy, no single stat truly standing out. His Resolve has suffered greatly.

But I'm not sure I'm totally satisfied with the skills. Maybe it'll help once I get a better picture of who he was, and who he's become through his Durance. I think of him as a sort of person who is sly and charming but cold and calculating on the inside, who blends in well, and who can almost literally steal your heart. Also a bit of a wolf-in-sheep-clothes theme. Input is welcome.
    Changelings don't have Virtue and Vice; instead, they have Needle and Thread. Their Needle is the persona they take on to tackle problems, the approach they use to handle the world; the Pilgrim has a Needle of "Protector," for example, being rewarded whenever he puts himself at risk to defend others. Their Thread is the thing they use to keep themselves stable and centered; the Pilgrim has a Thread of "Friendship."

Given your sheet, I could see Jim's Needle as the rare Bon Vivant of Winter, looking to the moment and the emotions he feels over other priorities, or else a Visionary, always pushing for a new approach to a thorny problem. (Or possibly make your own: "Gentleman Thief," for example, gaining willpower when he puts himself and his friends at risk in order to distribute ill-gotten goods.) As for a Thread... perhaps Acceptance or Honor would work. Have a look at pages 17-22 in the Winter PDF, under Anchors.

Your skill selection seems to be pointing towards a scholar and a thief, which will definitely cause some friction (in a good way) in Prosperpine; this isn't a high society party or a beautiful fae ball. Larceny 5 means that you're essentially a master criminal, and you might end up as the brains of the operation (but with a low Resolve; spinning your wheels, looking to short-term payoff). Expression seems a curious choice on the social side; what about his Durance suggests that he would be a skilled artist or public speaker, as opposed to having a higher Subterfuge or Persuasion. All in all, a character very predisposed to Winter, and someone who would chafe in the small town. I could see him taking on a role at the women's college, breaking hearts and using his skill in Academics and Empathy in turn, feeling the sorrow of broken hearts all around him - and lifting small valuables whenever he needs extra money for the Motley. It's not like they needed them, anyhow.

As far as Merits, Patient is an interesting choice; Extended Rolls are rarely seen in PbP, so are you picking it up as a flag of "my character can wait forever if needed and I'm going to play him that way"? If so, kudos; if not, maybe consider shuffling the dots. Untouchable is in much the same boat; it's saying to Thanqol "my crimes are SUPER HARD TO NOTICE" more than it's going to be a mechanical edge. Sleight of Hand is only two dots, not three; you have an extra dot available!

also we were going to wait to drop sheets until we talked about the escape, I've been sitting on mine forever
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah. So you, too, suffered.

When offered service by a beast, will you accept it? It is foul on the outside, so perhaps fairer within. (And yet there is a perverse artistry to the palimpsest, so perhaps strangely fair on the outside and still unrighteous within.) It demands only that you let it stay, that you let it help, which may chafe all the worse. You have run from one, and may see a shackle in the other.

And how dare it be set free? How dare it finish the story? How dare it have an end to the suffering?

And yet, it is strong, and clever in the ways of the woods, and knows much about enduring suffering. It is fearsome, and if you do not flinch, maybe those who pursue you would shy away from its terrible face.

Be bold, be bold, but not too bold.
    Oh to escape the endless servitude, punishment, torture, humiliation and attempts at seduction of a True Monster only to suddenly find yourself at the mercy of another and on who you must rely if your escape has any hope of success. The choice to trust this Woodsman is one this poor wretch likely will have to face again with every sunrise, for it is a choice so hard made it refuses to bind itself in her heart for longer than a day. If that. She had to trust you in the Hedge and so far you have held true, but you can see so clearly that the betrayal she is dreading is expected from you, before any other.

You are at first glance the very image of what she is running from, of what she fears above all. How can she hope to heal those countless wounds when each threaten to tear open and weep with blood at the mere sight of you? At the very sound of your voice?

And yet, Woodsman, that very sight is also almost all she knows. There is the call of the familiar about you, steeped in an unmistakable scent of inevitability (is the Story still unfolding?). It has been so long since she had any other interaction than with that of The Monster, that your company, for as much as it unsettles her, has an appeal simply by virtue of being the most familiar. Your promise of loyalty is not one she will be able to carry in her heart for some time, but the fact that it is offered albeit with a voice as familiar as it is unsettling, is tempting... and... calming.

I have no idea who we are to each other Woodsman, but I am dying to find out.

Ah.

Well.

This is...awkward.

Is he like you imagined him? What is it like, to see the Prince arrive long past his hour, long past the time when he could have been of any good? He is not so willing to wear a crown anymore - as if the absence of a gaudy circlet could somehow mask his regality - just as he was not so willing to show up on time. Some things never change.

But know this; the Prince never fought a Dragon alone. There was always a servant, a peasant, an ally, a friend, trapped and tortured, surely doomed if he should shrink from his task. Every wasted moment was a moment they spent in abject agony. If ever he had the chance to parlay with a Dragon, by their plaintive cries he knew the cost of the attempt. A life would be taken that day. There would be no escaping it.

You, who have spent lifetimes in chains, are you not another chain yourself? And yet you are a chain that he has willingly worn a thousand times before. Some things never change.
    Was it you I was waiting for? I don't know. I stopped so long ago I think I might have forgotten what you look like... what you are. I see you and I am confused. Are you The Prince who would have carried me to Happy Ever After or the one my Monster would have cast down from the highest tower of the castle in triumph after branding you a villain? I don't know. You seem fair, true and just. And though you may be the one who failed to rescue me I feel Story weighing on me in the air when our eyes meet. In the warmth of your smile and gaze I am supposed to transform, cast aside all the layers of horror and emerge with beauty and grace, your equal. But we are out of Faerie and the magic doesn't spark. I remain hurt, uncertain, confused and awkward. Am I supposed to love you? Am I supposed to follow you? Am I supposed to be in awe of you? Something, somewhere, is expecting exactly that and wedding bells too, and it frightens me.

I am not Her. Perhaps I was supposed to be, but that storyline never found me.

Awesome, cool connections are starting to shake out. I'd just like one more thing from each of you before we're good to start doing character sheets and such.

Weirdoes coming, I haven't brained any yet.

One of my Changeling headcanons is that sometimes, you get the Mantle before the official declaration of Court. If you come out of Faerie swinging and pissing blood and full of red-hot wrath, you'll burn like the summer sun and peel away paint with your glance even before you meet these people who have an Official Deal with the season. If you turn them down, say no thanks, you're stuck with the season's fickle attention rather than contracts and deals, and you'll certainly have it fade away entirely if you join another Court- no double-dipping. But that's rare, because if you came out with the season's touch, it's because your approach and the season's nature are in sync, and the obvious thing is to make it official. But that's me, and my love of making the seasons more active / having a Mantle be a weird, numinous thing barely held in check by the contracts of the Court.
    I love this.
    Last edited by Elanorin; 2018-01-15 at 02:37 PM.
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

"Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

"I think of you much more than I'm allowed to admit, but I do. I still do."
    ~ Bear's Den

Milliway | Samael Hale

30. - Top - End - #60

Changelings don't have Virtue and Vice; instead, they have Needle and Thread. Their Needle is the persona they take on to tackle problems, the approach they use to handle the world; the Pilgrim has a Needle of "Protector," for example, being rewarded whenever he puts himself at risk to defend others. Their Thread is the thing they use to keep themselves stable and centered; the Pilgrim has a Thread of "Friendship."

Given your sheet, I could see Jim's Needle as the rare Bon Vivant of Winter, looking to the moment and the emotions he feels over other priorities, or else a Visionary, always pushing for a new approach to a thorny problem. (Or possibly make your own: "Gentleman Thief," for example, gaining willpower when he puts himself and his friends at risk in order to distribute ill-gotten goods.) As for a Thread... perhaps Acceptance or Honor would work. Have a look at pages 17-22 in the Winter PDF, under Anchors.
    Oh, that's new. I haven't looked that much at the 2e documents yet, but I'll be sure to check that out.

Your skill selection seems to be pointing towards a scholar and a thief, which will definitely cause some friction (in a good way) in Prosperpine; this isn't a high society party or a beautiful fae ball. Larceny 5 means that you're essentially a master criminal, and you might end up as the brains of the operation (but with a low Resolve; spinning your wheels, looking to short-term payoff). Expression seems a curious choice on the social side; what about his Durance suggests that he would be a skilled artist or public speaker, as opposed to having a higher Subterfuge or Persuasion. All in all, a character very predisposed to Winter, and someone who would chafe in the small town. I could see him taking on a role at the women's college, breaking hearts and using his skill in Academics and Empathy in turn, feeling the sorrow of broken hearts all around him - and lifting small valuables whenever he needs extra money for the Motley. It's not like they needed them, anyhow.
    It's a much smaller town than I'd first realized, indeed. Even smaller than where I live myself, which I feel is pretty small. Will be interesting.

I see his low resolve like, he might have grand plans, and he's patient so he can take forever working all his plans out, down to the smallest detail, but that's just it, unless forced into action (which he will be, of course), he's more likely to hide and scheme and wait for that elusive right moment than to do anything truly proactive.

His mental skills were a bit arbitrary, I didn't really know what to pick, but I chose Expression and Academics as a pair because I see him as a storyteller and a poet. This may change, once I get a clearer picture of his Durance, but that was my thinking. I would love more subterfuge and persuasion, mind you. if I can get it somehow.

I decided to not give him any dots in Empathy based on the idea that, if he had any, why didn't he notice anything with Veronica until it was too late? I could justify one or maybe two dots, but any more would definitely raise that question.

As far as Merits, Patient is an interesting choice; Extended Rolls are rarely seen in PbP, so are you picking it up as a flag of "my character can wait forever if needed and I'm going to play him that way"? If so, kudos; if not, maybe consider shuffling the dots. Untouchable is in much the same boat; it's saying to Thanqol "my crimes are SUPER HARD TO NOTICE" more than it's going to be a mechanical edge. Sleight of Hand is only two dots, not three; you have an extra dot available!
    I didn't think much of the mechanics with Patient and Untouchable, just that it really fit the character. If the mechanics never come up, I won't really complain.

Good catch on Sleight of Hand. Thanks.

also we were going to wait to drop sheets until we talked about the escape, I've been sitting on mine forever
    It's less a sheet and more some brainstorming I'm doing, trying to get a better image of Jim. I tend to do that, switching between working on stats and working on story, one feeding the other. I can keep it private, though, if that's preferred.
    Last edited by stveje; 2018-01-15 at 02:46 PM.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter