Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 270 of 1175
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Quote Originally Posted by stveje View Post
    Funny, my reaction to Eberron was always a dismissive sneer, but admittedly I never gave it a fair chance. I think it boiled down to "Ew, robots in my fantasy setting! The heresy!" That was back before Thanqol showed me that games set in the modern world, or with modern or sci-fi elements could be fun too.

    Still, my instinctive reaction has always been one of aversion to the whole warforged concept, and all that it brought with it.
    Eberron is very much Interwar Pulp - think of it as post-WW1 heroic fantasy. It's very pulpy, but in a very thoughtful way. If you want a setting where every single corner is packed to the gills with adventure you can't go wrong.

    Did you try to go back, with the experience and knowledge you have now from WoD and AW, and make D&D work? I'm sure you have, more than once, but you never know. I admit, I'm way less experienced with it (having come rather late to the whole roleplaying thing, and spending more time on freeform [albeit D&D-inspired] PbP than anything else), but I can't help but think that it must be possible to use the D&D system to tell interesting and complex stories that aren't just about the most efficient way of murdering orcs.
    Why would I? It'd be like going back to a shovel after having the experience of driving a bulldozer.

    You can use D&D to tell interesting and complex stories in the same way as you can use a shovel to build the Swan Palace. And I have done it! But the question is why would you.

    I'd love to tell the kind of stories D&D has traditionally laid claim to, like fantasy adventure or whatever. Just. Not. Using. The. D&D. Engine.
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  2. - Top - End - #242
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Topical: Anarion, I didn't explicitly call it out but Static is using Might of the Terrible Brute along with that grapple again for another point of strength drain and I'm pretty sure that one knocks you out?
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    stveje's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    I've made up my mind. I kinda do owe you a Mage game, especially Elanorin, who went through all the trouble of getting the book and learning the system. It would be a shame if it was all for nothing. It's going to be a new game, though I may reuse some bits. I'm going to move it to the south of France, the area I'm actually somewhat familiar with (and increasingly falling in love with) thanks to my novel. It's a great setting, full of magic, culture, and deep ties to ancient Rome. I feel like I understand the magic of this land better than any other setting I could pick, and since I'm already researching it for my novel they'll be able to feed off each other.

    Who's on board? Elanorin, Thanqol, Anarion, you've got dibs, if you want in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Why would I? It'd be like going back to a shovel after having the experience of driving a bulldozer.

    You can use D&D to tell interesting and complex stories in the same way as you can use a shovel to build the Swan Palace. And I have done it! But the question is why would you.

    I'd love to tell the kind of stories D&D has traditionally laid claim to, like fantasy adventure or whatever. Just. Not. Using. The. D&D. Engine.
    Well, I can't exactly argue, since that's the whole reason I'm making this AW hack of mine. Still, my previous failed attempts have made me believe that if you want that certain, indefinable D&D feel, you're better off actually playing D&D, and that what I was looking for (a *World-like system) was something completely different (because a *World-like system can't model a D&D-style game). But I'm not actually sure what such a story looks like, because it's been 5+ years since I even looked at D&D. I just can't shake the feeling that it's there, a potential, you know? That I could tell a great story with D&D which I couldn't tell with a *World-style system, and vice versa. Maybe I'm mistaken.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

  4. - Top - End - #244
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Quote Originally Posted by stveje View Post
    I've made up my mind. I kinda do owe you a Mage game, especially Elanorin, who went through all the trouble of getting the book and learning the system. It would be a shame if it was all for nothing. It's going to be a new game, though I may reuse some bits. I'm going to move it to the south of France, the area I'm actually somewhat familiar with (and increasingly falling in love with) thanks to my novel. It's a great setting, full of magic, culture, and deep ties to ancient Rome. I feel like I understand the magic of this land better than any other setting I could pick, and since I'm already researching it for my novel they'll be able to feed off each other.

    Who's on board? Elanorin, Thanqol, Anarion, you've got dibs, if you want in.
    Sicknasty radical, I am in. I'm scintillating with good ideas right now and I can't wait to get started. I'm also really interested in seeing your take on France, you've kept coming back to it but I've not yet gotten to see your full follow-through.

    Well, I can't exactly argue, since that's the whole reason I'm making this AW hack of mine. Still, my previous failed attempts have made me believe that if you want that certain, indefinable D&D feel, you're better off actually playing D&D, and that what I was looking for (a *World-like system) was something completely different (because a *World-like system can't model a D&D-style game). But I'm not actually sure what such a story looks like, because it's been 5+ years since I even looked at D&D. I just can't shake the feeling that it's there, a potential, you know? That I could tell a great story with D&D which I couldn't tell with a *World-style system, and vice versa. Maybe I'm mistaken.
    Like, you can do it. I'm not interested but I'm not saying it's impossible for anyone to be interested in, that's just like, my opinion man. But be aware:
    A) It's going to be a tonne of work. Like, mechanical spreadsheet work.
    B) Fight scenes are going to take months to resolve in PBP.
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  5. - Top - End - #245
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    stveje's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Sicknasty radical, I am in. I'm scintillating with good ideas right now and I can't wait to get started. I'm also really interested in seeing your take on France, you've kept coming back to it but I've not yet gotten to see your full follow-through.
    Yeah, I've been sort of haunted by this place since my first Changeling game years and years ago. I'm only now really following through on it.

    Will post something tomorrow.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Like, you can do it. I'm not interested but I'm not saying it's impossible for anyone to be interested in, that's just like, my opinion man. But be aware:
    A) It's going to be a tonne of work. Like, mechanical spreadsheet work.
    B) Fight scenes are going to take months to resolve in PBP.
    True. Doing it as PbP might be way more work than it's worth.
    Last edited by stveje; 2018-02-18 at 05:15 PM.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

  6. - Top - End - #246
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    I think as far as Mage goes, I'm currently drawing my inspiration from Tycho's character in The Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness. Specifically, this one line a bad guy uses to describe him: "Ah. The father-son bond. Such a crude form of immortality."

    Rich and fertile imagination space awaits me here; I'm getting really inspired already.

    Incidentally, depending on how interest works out, I have a couple of outer-sphere people who are interested in Mage who I could tap if you need additional numbers. Good folks, reliable.
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  7. - Top - End - #247
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    stveje's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I think as far as Mage goes, I'm currently drawing my inspiration from Tycho's character in The Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness. Specifically, this one line a bad guy uses to describe him: "Ah. The father-son bond. Such a crude form of immortality."

    Rich and fertile imagination space awaits me here; I'm getting really inspired already.

    Incidentally, depending on how interest works out, I have a couple of outer-sphere people who are interested in Mage who I could tap if you need additional numbers. Good folks, reliable.
    Speaking of inspiration, I've been meaning forever to read Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, but I have no idea where to start. Searching for it on Amazon is, like, totally overwhelming. Seemingly so many individual issues. Isn't there like a complete compilation you can buy, where you get the whole thing in one pretty box?
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

  8. - Top - End - #248
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Quote Originally Posted by stveje View Post
    Speaking of inspiration, I've been meaning forever to read Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, but I have no idea where to start. Searching for it on Amazon is, like, totally overwhelming. Seemingly so many individual issues. Isn't there like a complete compilation you can buy, where you get the whole thing in one pretty box?
    let me google that for you

    The English word for these kind of compilation books is 'omnibus'.
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  9. - Top - End - #249
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    stveje's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Mages are go! For anyone interested.

    I overestimated my ability to quickly write a post. Alas alas. I tried not to rush it, while at the same time not getting caught in the trap of spending forever perfecting and fussing over little details.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    let me google that for you

    The English word for these kind of compilation books is 'omnibus'.
    Thanks!
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

  10. - Top - End - #250
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Quote Originally Posted by stveje View Post
    Mages are go! For anyone interested.

    I overestimated my ability to quickly write a post. Alas alas. I tried not to rush it, while at the same time not getting caught in the trap of spending forever perfecting and fussing over little details.
    My favourite word is 'turpulent'; it means when someone does something so uniquely and unalterably them that their entire character appears to be wrapped in a single deed. And I think your observation of trillions of litres of cat is a wonderfully turpulent moment. I love it. I'm immensely stoked.

    Now to pick a song.
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elanorin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Quote Originally Posted by stveje View Post
    Funny, my reaction to Eberron was always a dismissive sneer, but admittedly I never gave it a fair chance. I think it boiled down to "Ew, robots in my fantasy setting! The heresy!" That was back before Thanqol showed me that games set in the modern world, or with modern or sci-fi elements could be fun too.

    Still, my instinctive reaction has always been one of aversion to the whole warforged concept, and all that it brought with it.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I was Eberron'd against my will. There were a multitude of kicks and screams involved. But eventually it grew on me and became really quite cool with its fantasy/steampunkness. Even the Warforged.

    Mmmmmm Warforged...

    Quote Originally Posted by stveje View Post
    I've made up my mind. I kinda do owe you a Mage game, especially Elanorin, who went through all the trouble of getting the book and learning the system. It would be a shame if it was all for nothing. It's going to be a new game, though I may reuse some bits. I'm going to move it to the south of France, the area I'm actually somewhat familiar with (and increasingly falling in love with) thanks to my novel. It's a great setting, full of magic, culture, and deep ties to ancient Rome. I feel like I understand the magic of this land better than any other setting I could pick, and since I'm already researching it for my novel they'll be able to feed off each other.

    Who's on board? Elanorin, Thanqol, Anarion, you've got dibs, if you want in.
    I'm in. I'll sigh and flop and pester people over emails and IMs during character creation as usual but I'm genuinely interested in getting to grips with Mage.

    Well, I can't exactly argue, since that's the whole reason I'm making this AW hack of mine. Still, my previous failed attempts have made me believe that if you want that certain, indefinable D&D feel, you're better off actually playing D&D, and that what I was looking for (a *World-like system) was something completely different (because a *World-like system can't model a D&D-style game). But I'm not actually sure what such a story looks like, because it's been 5+ years since I even looked at D&D. I just can't shake the feeling that it's there, a potential, you know? That I could tell a great story with D&D which I couldn't tell with a *World-style system, and vice versa. Maybe I'm mistaken.
    I don't know, the way I see it, D&D is very much about telling a story to throw dice. The beauty in AW is that I find it throws dice to tell a story.

    I think you're going down the right path with your hack. There is some amazing setting stuff in D&D which would make for amazing stories but it needs an engine that supports the show rather than runs it.

    Quote Originally Posted by stveje View Post
    Speaking of inspiration, I've been meaning forever to read Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, but I have no idea where to start. Searching for it on Amazon is, like, totally overwhelming. Seemingly so many individual issues. Isn't there like a complete compilation you can buy, where you get the whole thing in one pretty box?
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Sandman!!! The most precious series of books I have. I have such a fiction-crush on Morpheus it's borderline pathological. If you find the price tag of the omnibus a bit daunting I am more than happy to talk you through the volumes.

    Sidenote, my very first attempt at running my own AW game was one heavily borrowing on imagery from one of the Sandman volumes. Short-lived game but ohhhh that was fun to write.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    And this isn't even me saying it's impossible for me to enjoy it. I can and have totally eked out enjoyment in D&D before or else I wouldn't have kept doing it for ten years. But I did do it for ten years. I did it every day for 1 hour 15 minutes in high school, with additional after school games for 5 hours twice a week minimum... and not even counting the play by posts... I've done it with young people and old people, as a GM and as a player, with good groups and bad groups, at tournaments and as a high school cult leader, with AD&D style instadeath dungeon crawls and elaborate narrative grand campaigns, in space and underground, in Planescape and in D20 Modern - and far more besides spent in the Neverwinter Nights series, single player and online! I cut my teeth in posting on the Character Optimization boards of the old Wizards of the Coast forums. Hell, D&D is how I met frickin' Elanorin back in the day!
    I like how that sounds like I'm some sort of D&D qualification. Considering how rubbish my D&D rules knowledge was/is/will forever be, that makes me snort-laugh.
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

    "Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

    "I think of you much more than I'm allowed to admit, but I do. I still do."
    ~ Bear's Den


    Milliway | Lily

  12. - Top - End - #252
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    Oh don't get me wrong, I was Eberron'd against my will. There were a multitude of kicks and screams involved. But eventually it grew on me and became really quite cool with its fantasy/steampunkness. Even the Warforged.

    Mmmmmm Warforged...
    Elanorin can attest that I have been bouncing into the room with a big grin going "HEY HAVE YOU SEEN THIS NEW SHINEY THING I FOUND LET'S GAME" and dragging everyone else into it against their will literally forever.

    I'm in. I'll sigh and flop and pester people over emails and IMs during character creation as usual but I'm genuinely interested in getting to grips with Mage.
    Woot woot!

    I like how that sounds like I'm some sort of D&D qualification. Considering how rubbish my D&D rules knowledge was/is/will forever be, that makes me snort-laugh.
    I actually think that's a major component in my modern D&Distaste. Like, I get flashbacks to trying to teach Elanorin about base attack bonuses and I start shaking.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2018-02-19 at 07:03 PM.
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  13. - Top - End - #253
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    stveje's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    I can feel I'm procrastinating, trying to avoid posting because I have no idea what to post. Ideas? I'll try to force myself to think of something either way.

    Edit: Nevermind, thought of something to keep the ball moving. I never know what to say or do in situations like this, but I guess there's no reason Jack would be any better at it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    My favourite word is 'turpulent'; it means when someone does something so uniquely and unalterably them that their entire character appears to be wrapped in a single deed. And I think your observation of trillions of litres of cat is a wonderfully turpulent moment. I love it. I'm immensely stoked.

    Now to pick a song.
    It was one of my more brilliant moments :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    I'm in. I'll sigh and flop and pester people over emails and IMs during character creation as usual but I'm genuinely interested in getting to grips with Mage.
    Yay ^^

    Now we just need Anarion, and maybe one or two others.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    I don't know, the way I see it, D&D is very much about telling a story to throw dice. The beauty in AW is that I find it throws dice to tell a story.
    This is a good way of putting it. But I think sometimes it's the former you're looking for, and then something like AW is the wrong system entirely. Like, sometimes you want to tell a story to throw dice, because part of the fun lies in using all the shiny mechanics and throwing all the dice. Like building an elaborate machine, then watching it work and feeling that rush of success. But you still want an interesting story, or at least a dungeon with some real thought and creativity put into it.

    That's what I realized from my failed attempts: sometimes what I want might be a game where dice and mechanics are a major part of why you're playing, and then you might as well just play D&D, because AW wasn't meant for that sort of game. Other times I want something where the mechanics take a back seat to the story and the characters, and then AW is just the thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Sandman!!! The most precious series of books I have. I have such a fiction-crush on Morpheus it's borderline pathological. If you find the price tag of the omnibus a bit daunting I am more than happy to talk you through the volumes.

    Sidenote, my very first attempt at running my own AW game was one heavily borrowing on imagery from one of the Sandman volumes. Short-lived game but ohhhh that was fun to write.
    70 pounds for each omnibus is a bit on the pricey side, but I might be able to fit it into my budget sometime this year.
    Last edited by stveje; 2018-02-20 at 05:12 AM.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

  14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Sorry, was on vacation over the weekend.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Topical: Anarion, I didn't explicitly call it out but Static is using Might of the Terrible Brute along with that grapple again for another point of strength drain and I'm pretty sure that one knocks you out?
    As far as I can tell, the sequence of events is: Static grapples Aelas and drains 1 strength (2-->1). Aelas slips the grapple with glamour. Static tries to Grapple Aelas a second time, but Aelas dodges and cancels it so is never touched (still 1 Str). Aelas runs into the nearby store past the alpacas and dismisses Butterfly back into the Hedge. And that brings us to present.

    Quote Originally Posted by stveje View Post
    Mages are go! For anyone interested.

    I overestimated my ability to quickly write a post. Alas alas. I tried not to rush it, while at the same time not getting caught in the trap of spending forever perfecting and fussing over little details.
    I'm still on the fence. I've got all sorts of ideas, but I feel like making a mage requires a commitment to exploring some sort of philosophy, and nothing is really coming to me right now. Nor do I have a song on the top of my head (and honestly, the picking multiple songs thing is a stressful and unfun experience for me, it's just not how I work). I'd hate to miss out on a mage game though because if they get rolling, they're really fun and deep exploration. So, I dunno, I'll think about it.
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  15. - Top - End - #255
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    stveje's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I'm still on the fence. I've got all sorts of ideas, but I feel like making a mage requires a commitment to exploring some sort of philosophy, and nothing is really coming to me right now. Nor do I have a song on the top of my head (and honestly, the picking multiple songs thing is a stressful and unfun experience for me, it's just not how I work). I'd hate to miss out on a mage game though because if they get rolling, they're really fun and deep exploration. So, I dunno, I'll think about it.
    I'm not good at the whole music thing either. My usual music selection doesn't work well for most characters or situations.

    I think it's okay, maybe even better, to create your concept first, then think of the music as nothing more than Mage's way of doing Hx: not as a way of creating the character, but creating the relationships and stories between characters. I think it's also okay, if you can't think of any music, or what a piece of music means, to ask others to pick a song for you, or tell you the circumstances around it, then hopefully that'll spark something.

    Basically, feel free to start with whatever ideas you do have, whatever inspires you most, and then hopefully we'll be able to work out philosophy and music and all that together.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

  16. - Top - End - #256
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    As far as I can tell, the sequence of events is: Static grapples Aelas and drains 1 strength (2-->1). Aelas slips the grapple with glamour. Static tries to Grapple Aelas a second time, but Aelas dodges and cancels it so is never touched (still 1 Str). Aelas runs into the nearby store past the alpacas and dismisses Butterfly back into the Hedge. And that brings us to present.
    Argh, you're right, I'm coming from a bunch of systems where attacker wins ties. Sorry man, this is like the third time my mechanics have failed during this conversation.

    I'm still on the fence. I've got all sorts of ideas, but I feel like making a mage requires a commitment to exploring some sort of philosophy, and nothing is really coming to me right now. Nor do I have a song on the top of my head (and honestly, the picking multiple songs thing is a stressful and unfun experience for me, it's just not how I work). I'd hate to miss out on a mage game though because if they get rolling, they're really fun and deep exploration. So, I dunno, I'll think about it.
    Picking music is exactly how I work, so if you need suggestions lean on me and I'll dig something up.

    Mage doesn't need to be about philosophy specifically; it's about examining something in depth. That can be a relationship, for example. Themes tend to emerge organically purely due to the intersection of all the various things you are a part of.
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Mage doesn't need to be about philosophy specifically; it's about examining something in depth. That can be a relationship, for example. Themes tend to emerge organically purely due to the intersection of all the various things you are a part of.
    Well let me put it differently. Let's say you want to examine a character who's got a unique and special brother sister relationship. That character has to have a strong opinion, they have to cling to that relationship over other important things, and they have to be willing to sacrifice for that relationship. If they don't have those strong feelings, the entire Mage universe is full of people who will tell them about way more important things they need to be focusing on.

    I've played three mages so far (and designed my own setting for which I have numerous notes still since we didn't get all that far). Tessen was about kindness and a fundamental belief in the superiority of humanity and she was successful because she was ready to die for those values. Keynes is, in his own way, committed to the theory of the Hieromagus, and I honestly struggled with the character until I made that commitment (character creation, you may recall, had a lot of false starts there). Once that focus was created, Keynes became a lot easier to play. Rothko is the one real success I've done with a song. He's the tension in People Live Here between the high-minded beauty and wealth and the desire to tear it all down and look at the regular people, and it obviously pulled him into Free Council philosophy and his desire to watch and paint things being destroyed.

    But who do I want to play now? I'm not sure. A part of me wants to play an Arrow, someone rigid who believes in discipline and stricture above all else and holds a single mistake as a failure, but that's quite foreign to my own personality, so it would be difficult. Another part of me wants to play a scholar, someone really dedicated to the acquisition and analysis of magic. Another part wants to play someone filled with reckless abandon, not a nihilist, but rather a person who just lives completely for the moment and acts without thinking.
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  18. - Top - End - #258
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Well let me put it differently. Let's say you want to examine a character who's got a unique and special brother sister relationship. That character has to have a strong opinion, they have to cling to that relationship over other important things, and they have to be willing to sacrifice for that relationship. If they don't have those strong feelings, the entire Mage universe is full of people who will tell them about way more important things they need to be focusing on.

    I've played three mages so far (and designed my own setting for which I have numerous notes still since we didn't get all that far). Tessen was about kindness and a fundamental belief in the superiority of humanity and she was successful because she was ready to die for those values. Keynes is, in his own way, committed to the theory of the Hieromagus, and I honestly struggled with the character until I made that commitment (character creation, you may recall, had a lot of false starts there). Once that focus was created, Keynes became a lot easier to play. Rothko is the one real success I've done with a song. He's the tension in People Live Here between the high-minded beauty and wealth and the desire to tear it all down and look at the regular people, and it obviously pulled him into Free Council philosophy and his desire to watch and paint things being destroyed.
    *Nod nod* Mages do definitely flow much better once you have a clear idea of what you want to explore.

    But who do I want to play now? I'm not sure. A part of me wants to play an Arrow, someone rigid who believes in discipline and stricture above all else and holds a single mistake as a failure, but that's quite foreign to my own personality, so it would be difficult. Another part of me wants to play a scholar, someone really dedicated to the acquisition and analysis of magic. Another part wants to play someone filled with reckless abandon, not a nihilist, but rather a person who just lives completely for the moment and acts without thinking.
    I'd love to see you play that Arrow - in particular, I'm really interested in her figuring out if failure is a block on her enlightenment, or if her inability to accept failure is her real problem. That it's difficult is a plus; it's clearly the most Magey suggestion in that list.
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    There's probably a bit of physical description weirdness in my latest posts; I'm still trying to get a good vantage point of what a kith-blasted Pilgrim would look like, and at least once in there veered into "we all are Autumn right now, under the masks, identifiable only by our voices and our mannerisms, which betray us like lovers."

    As far as the D&D discussion goes, I'll keep my head down and keep tinkering and theorycrafting my weird stuff for it. It's clunky, sure, compared to a lot of the systems I enjoy playing these days, but it's also a great way to get people to the table and just have a fun evening of it, and I'll have need of that soon due to Big Life Changes.

    I'll skip on Mage, I think, but mostly because I'm hella spotty with my games right now (so what else is new?) and I'm still riding the strange high of really liking what I'm producing for Isaac.
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  20. - Top - End - #260
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Hey Raz, I am very sure Pilgrim is trying to Intimidate this lady right now. Roll it at -3.
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  21. - Top - End - #261
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    There's probably a bit of physical description weirdness in my latest posts; I'm still trying to get a good vantage point of what a kith-blasted Pilgrim would look like, and at least once in there veered into "we all are Autumn right now, under the masks, identifiable only by our voices and our mannerisms, which betray us like lovers."
    You're rocking it, man.

    As far as the D&D discussion goes, I'll keep my head down and keep tinkering and theorycrafting my weird stuff for it. It's clunky, sure, compared to a lot of the systems I enjoy playing these days, but it's also a great way to get people to the table and just have a fun evening of it, and I'll have need of that soon due to Big Life Changes.
    I cannot offer anything but respect to it being The Only Game In Town.

    I'll skip on Mage, I think, but mostly because I'm hella spotty with my games right now (so what else is new?) and I'm still riding the strange high of really liking what I'm producing for Isaac.
    quit your job post ponies
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Hey Raz, I am very sure Pilgrim is trying to Intimidate this lady right now. Roll it at -3.
    Presence or Manipulation?
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  23. - Top - End - #263
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Presence or Manipulation?
    Presence if you want her to be afraid of you here, now, manipulation if you want her to be afraid of what you'll do if she goes after your Fetch. Immediacy vs. enduring fear.
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Raz_Fox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Imladris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Well, then. With the Autumn bonus, that’s 1 Success precisely on Manipulation+Intimidation.
    freedom in the flame

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

  25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elanorin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    I finally settled on what Lily looks like under her mask. I've updated her sheet but for the sake of making things easy:

    Spoiler: Mien
    Show
    For those who see through the Mask the face underneath is quite different. Her skin is smooth, hard and reflective, like polished wood with layers of lacquer, complete with grain. It is the pale natural colour of white oak, a greyish white, and covers her whole body, even her nails, mouth and her eyes. On her head, instead of hair, grows long soft downy white feathers with brown and grey speckled tips, cascading like a massive unruly headdress around her and down over her shoulders.


    Basically an anthropomorphic feather duster.
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

    "Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

    "I think of you much more than I'm allowed to admit, but I do. I still do."
    ~ Bear's Den


    Milliway | Lily

  26. - Top - End - #266
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    I finally settled on what Lily looks like under her mask. I've updated her sheet but for the sake of making things easy:

    Spoiler: Mien
    Show
    For those who see through the Mask the face underneath is quite different. Her skin is smooth, hard and reflective, like polished wood with layers of lacquer, complete with grain. It is the pale natural colour of white oak, a greyish white, and covers her whole body, even her nails, mouth and her eyes. On her head, instead of hair, grows long soft downy white feathers with brown and grey speckled tips, cascading like a massive unruly headdress around her and down over her shoulders.


    Basically an anthropomorphic feather duster.
    Cool stuff!

    Also, did you have any shownotes for how I should play your Fetch, since that's coming up? Or any other thoughts on that whole thing?
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Elanorin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Also, did you have any shownotes for how I should play your Fetch, since that's coming up? Or any other thoughts on that whole thing?
    I think Emily Fairchild is the kind of person who has ended up spending most of her life trying to make the best of a tepid situation. She had a bit of a relentless optimistic streak back in the day, not sure how intact that still is. It's hidden pretty deep in Lily but Emily has not been through the same ordeal. She is a teacher and she says she loves her job, maybe she really does, maybe because that's what teachers say. She might be looking for something better (but what else do you do with a degree in literature?), it couldn't be too far away anyway because her parents aren't getting any younger and will rely on her before long.

    As much as troubles tend to be like water off a duck's back I imagine she's going through a difficult patch right now what with the messy divorce which is utterly failing in being handled discreetly. Friends are choosing sides, practical strangers offering unwanted opinions and "advice". I imagine that even if she is still smiling she is probably dreaming of Away.

    Maybe... Lily is the one who 'got out'?

    Those are pretty much my thoughts on the subject of her Fetch. I have no idea if she knows what she is.
    Last edited by Elanorin; 2018-02-24 at 07:15 AM.
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

    "Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

    "I think of you much more than I'm allowed to admit, but I do. I still do."
    ~ Bear's Den


    Milliway | Lily

  28. - Top - End - #268
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Will post tomorrow!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    I think Emily Fairchild is the kind of person who has ended up spending most of her life trying to make the best of a tepid situation. She had a bit of a relentless optimistic streak back in the day, not sure how intact that still is. It's hidden pretty deep in Lily but Emily has not been through the same ordeal. She is a teacher and she says she loves her job, maybe she really does, maybe because that's what teachers say. She might be looking for something better (but what else do you do with a degree in literature?), it couldn't be too far away anyway because her parents aren't getting any younger and will rely on her before long.

    As much as troubles tend to be like water off a duck's back I imagine she's going through a difficult patch right now what with the messy divorce which is utterly failing in being handled discreetly. Friends are choosing sides, practical strangers offering unwanted opinions and "advice". I imagine that even if she is still smiling she is probably dreaming of Away.

    Maybe... Lily is the one who 'got out'?

    Those are pretty much my thoughts on the subject of her Fetch. I have no idea if she knows what she is.
    Radical, thanks for this
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

  29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Thanqol, how do you want to track glamour for Fetches with echoes? Should we be tracking it? Are you? Should we just assume they regain some glamour off camera, but shouldn't use their powers too frequently in a given scene?
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  30. - Top - End - #270
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: [Changeling OOC] Time's Wings

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Thanqol, how do you want to track glamour for Fetches with echoes? Should we be tracking it? Are you? Should we just assume they regain some glamour off camera, but shouldn't use their powers too frequently in a given scene?
    The last one!
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •