New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Darths & Droids IV: Not in Numerical Order

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Y'know, Pete could just target the Imperial fleet. He'd probably get XP.
    Shhh, don't give him ideas. Pete being Pete, he'd target both fleets.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

Jim's always been overly accepting of these turns of events.

Spoiler: Also, further Rogue One spoilers
    Show
    "There's still a large gap from where we are now, and where we were at the start of the comics treatment of Episode IV."

Now, see, you won't see this until after, but funny thing about that...

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone else read this comic for long periods of time and then suddenly realize you should be imagining all the characters speaking with Australian accents?

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Keybounce, we are in the last few minutes of the film, there may be a few weeks-worth of comic material left.

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    Does anyone else read this comic for long periods of time and then suddenly realize you should be imagining all the characters speaking with Australian accents?
    Aren't they British?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #335

Nope, Australian. Which kind of makes sense, since that's where the Irregulars live.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Firbolg in the Playground

I knew they were Australian but it didn't occur to me until I just read your post that I should have been imagining them speaking with Australian accents.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I knew they were Australian but it didn't occur to me until I just read your post that I should have been imagining them speaking with Australian accents.
    I mostly don't think about it either, but it really stuck out to me back at the Vader reveal when Luke said "mum!"
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #338
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

So now I 'ave to woory about space Austrailian, gov?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

That's the impact on the planet's surface, I wouldn't expect a P/TIE fighter to make much of a boom anyway.

EDIT: I'm glad the Frank running gag is still going strong.
    Spoiler: Force Awakens
    Show
    Do you think his son will be manning Starkiller?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2018-12-04 at 08:12 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

10. - Top - End - #340

Oh Gods of Gaming, the laser operators are Bert and Ernie.

11. - Top - End - #341

This ending is really drawn out. I guess that captures the feel of the movie, at least.

12. - Top - End - #342

Now that we're pretty much at the end of this arc, where do you think we're going next? The previously announced plan was to jump into the Sequel Trilogy, but then we got that sharp turn going from ep7 to ep8, and signs are that there will be another with ep9 (I'm not confident enough to call it a course correction). So, do the Irregulars start with the ST, knowing they may have to do a heavy rewrite in a year, or do they go with something else? They've already dipped their toes in the animation pool with Sally's Clone Wars poem, but there's pretty much no characters in common. Solo is available, but what would that be, Jim relating part of his character's awesome backstory?

Or maybe they just say that after this many years, they want to do something else? A part of me says that might be the best course of action.

13. - Top - End - #343

BlackDragon

Solo is available, but what would that be, Jim relating part of his character's awesome backstory?
    Why not? Jim did carry on about how great the character was, right? Guido and his colorful background, of assuming the identity of others and getting into trouble from it.
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

14. - Top - End - #344

Fine, but what are the rest of the cast supposed to be doing while Jim monologues ad infinitum?

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

The rebel soldier who was handed the plans last strip runs through a corridor past two colleagues who are then butchered by Vader and then closes the door and order the ship's release.

As for the abscence of tractor beams, they presumably are too far away from any Imperial ship equipped with those, since all that fighting happened aboard a larger Rebel ship. (No that did not make sense in the movie, either.)
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    The rebel soldier who was handed the plans last strip runs through a corridor past two colleagues who are then butchered by Vader and then closes the door and order the ship's release.

As for the abscence of tractor beams, they presumably are too far away from any Imperial ship equipped with those, since all that fighting happened aboard a larger Rebel ship. (No that did not make sense in the movie, either.)
    They probably didn't have tractor beams prepared, since the giant rebel cruiser isn't a viable target for them and would almost certainly get in the way of any attempt to grab a smaller ship.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

You think Captain "Don't shoot the escape pods of the ship that's trying to escape from us" is going to bother about with tractor beams? The man is diametrically opposed to pursuing escaping craft. He will not stand for that sort of thing. In this movie you could at least make the argument that the ship was out of range or that it went to light speed too quickly for the Empire to get a lock. In Ep VI an experienced naval officer forgot they lived in a universe that contained droids, or that the plans could have been launched on the pod to be picked up by rebels on the surface. It's a shocking display of ineptitude.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    You think Captain "Don't shoot the escape pods of the ship that's trying to escape from us" is going to bother about with tractor beams? The man is diametrically opposed to pursuing escaping craft. He will not stand for that sort of thing. In this movie you could at least make the argument that the ship was out of range or that it went to light speed too quickly for the Empire to get a lock. In Ep VI an experienced naval officer forgot they lived in a universe that contained droids, or that the plans could have been launched on the pod to be picked up by rebels on the surface. It's a shocking display of ineptitude.
    Too be fair to the man, he may simply have not known that they were after the plans rather than the rebels themselves. He's still dumb, though.
    Forum Wisdom

19. - Top - End - #349

And it sounds like we're leaning towards either Solo or at least a year hiatus.

20. - Top - End - #350

It sounds like if they do Solo, it will just be Jim telling everyone about Han's backstory.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Eh, knowing Jim he only really thought about Han. Even if he's telling the backstory, there are plenty of things in Solo that could be points where someone asks a question and he goes 'um....', prompting someone else to make an off-the cuff suggestion/addition to the backstory that he and the GM roll with retroactively.

22. - Top - End - #352

Also, Annie said his first draft was a lot worse and she helped him revise it, so she'd probably have some comments about Han too.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm having a hard time seeing how they would do Solo as Jim telling his backstory. It goes against the whole concept of the comic as "these pen-and-paper gamers are playing Star Wars". It ceases to be a game and just becomes, well, a story. There's little for the other players to do outside of making snarky comments, which could be fun for a few strips but is hard to maintain for a whole movie.

I think if they do Solo, it will be as another pickup game that the GM hasn't had time to prepare for. He picks up Jim's notes for a backstory and just rolls with it, and the ridiculous parts of the story get mocked as Jim being weird.

Spoiler: Solo
    Show
    Also, being a pickup game allows for the high number of deaths in the story. Players swap between characters as necessary.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, so when should we expect the log notes of Keybounce watching the actual movie? ;)

25. - Top - End - #355

That was a heck of a way to end this arc.

*golf claps*

26. - Top - End - #356

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Okay, so when should we expect the log notes of Keybounce watching the actual movie? ;)
    I've got 4 disks to deal with, return to netflix ... it's top of my queue.

Before the end of february.

27. - Top - End - #357

So, we've reached the end of Rouge One, and the Irregulars have made their decision. It sounds like they aren't doing Solo (if that's what the next one is) as a standard story, because they're dialing it back to one update per week.* But after that, they will be going forward with the Sequel Trilogy.

*and let me just say how impressed I am that they kept up a three a week schedule without fail for over ELEVEN years.

28. - Top - End - #358

I'm going to be taking a break from reading Darths and Droids. When I caught up, they were a few pages in to Episode VI. I really enjoyed reading through the archives of episodes I-V all at once, but I got much less enjoyment out of reading RotJ and RO as they came out. Whatever they are doing for the rest of 2019, I'll come back and read all of it when it is done.

29. - Top - End - #359

*and let me just say how impressed I am that they kept up a three a week schedule without fail for over ELEVEN years.
    And the only reason they broke it is because they ran out of material to draw from. I am in awe of that dedication to an update schedule.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    And the only reason they broke it is because they ran out of material to draw from. I am in awe of that dedication to an update schedule.
    Is it possible to learn this power?
    Forum Wisdom