New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Answered Prayers? 3.5?

I recall reading a rule in one of the books, not sure which edition, which stated the likelyhood of prayers being answered, and divine intervention. Does anyone else know the source?
    Internet currently unreliable, please have patience.

[COLOR="Red"]We require additional Pylons.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Good Human Cleric(2)/Monk(3)/Ranger(2)/Sorcerer(4)
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Answered Prayers? 3.5?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralasha View Post
    I recall reading a rule in one of the books, not sure which edition, which stated the likelyhood of prayers being answered, and divine intervention. Does anyone else know the source?
    I haven't read any such rule in any of the books (to my knowledge, at least.)

However, back in 1st and 2nd and yes, even 3rd and 3.5 editions, some DMs house rule that some prayers can be answered by deities or agents thereof, emulating a Miracle effect of sorts. The mechanical approach is typically a d100, aiming for either a very low or very high roll.

That is, at least, in my experience. There is probably such a rule lying around, but I haven't seen it myself. Of note, praying to the gods for direct intervention without legal access to spells of such power is rarely given freely to all and Dms usually warn players that this method can be used X times in the PC's life...and in very dire situations.

3. - Top - End - #3

Like, on a mountain, with no knowledge of the area, with little hope of reasonably finding a town?

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Like, on a mountain, with no knowledge of the area, with little hope of reasonably finding a town?
    The above scenario is presented as an obstacle, but not necessarily a dire one given the context provided. The following answers depend on the party's level overall.

If you have a cleric, Augury and/or Divination should provide the answers you need...more or less.

Hell, if you have a bard along, have him use Bardic Knowledge to find some tidbits about the land and hopefully where the town may be. No gods needed there. If he knows someone in that town or surrounding areas, refer to the party wizard or cleric and..

Cast Sending. It will take a few minutes, but the recipient should provide directions using 25 words or less.

All these resources can be acquired by the party at level 7 at the highest, but then again, without further information about your party's make up, we can't help further.

5. - Top - End - #5

Well, I am currently the Bard, but our characters are from another Prime... So, bardic knowledge isn't particularly useful, we also happen to be level 2.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

this is definitely not a real rule in 3.x, so it's probably a relic from older editions.

you can use survival checks since you're too low a level to use most spells that wold help you.
    Well, I am currently the Bard, but our characters are from another Prime... So, bardic knowledge isn't particularly useful, we also happen to be level 2.
    bardic knowledge works for everything. it doesn't require your guy personally be familiar with the knowledge, or it'd only teach you things you already knew. it's based on how well known the knowledge is.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Bardic Knowledge should allow your PC to gain access to information even if this is not your current world. Barring that, any trackers in your party could lead you down the mountain and use Survival to find places of rest from any aggressive wild life in the region and find tracks left by the villagers that could lead you to their home..

If all that fails, and chances of finding the hidden village are impossible... then a prayer to a deity might be the answer. Mind you that since your party is 2nd level, the prayer might not be answered at all and if it is, it would be rather cryptic- enough leads to send you in the hopefully right direction.

Usually when the DM places your party in such a scenario, there is a way to find your objective, but not through the easy way out via DM fiat aka Divine Intervention.

maybe he wants the party to explore and level up a bit in the wilds before finding the village? Just a thought.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

there's a feat, 3rd party, book of the righteous, that gives you 1% chance of your god hearing you plea and intervening
    2nd edition, followers of anhur, there was a similar rule, but I think it involved also killing a higher level enemy in battle

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    bardic knowledge works for everything. it doesn't require your guy personally be familiar with the knowledge, or it'd only teach you things you already knew. it's based on how well known the knowledge is.
    Presumably how well known the knowledge of an entirely different prime among countless, let alone not knowing which prime he's even on... DC's probably gonna be too high for him to even be able to try.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

10. - Top - End - #10

RogueGuy

Look for smoke from a fire - unless you are building a fire to be hidden it should be visible for miles on a clear day. Failing that find water and follow it.

Dnd is stuffed full of sentient creatures. You will stumble on something sooner or later. Just keep moving at half speed and making the dc 10 wisdom checks to eat for the day. Failing a few times won't be a problem so long as someone in the group rolls high. Even if you miss a few meals you will survive.