New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Any way to completely delete Windows Update Service in Windows 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    In any case it doesn't matter if they know enough or not, because it's their computer, not yours.
    Well, if you're not installing Windows updates, Microsoft may not own your computer, but the hackers certainly will. Take your pick.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Finnish songwriter Tuomas Holopainen made an album that is exactly that, "Music Inspired by the Life and Times of Scrooge", with the collaboration of many other Finnish music stars.
    Yup. I will add to this that you can consider it the "official soundtrack" to the movie that could have been made on the book Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. I.e. if a movie in the world of Scrooge McDuck was made based on the book of his memoirs, this album would be the official soundtrack. It's fantastically meta looking at it like that. :)
    Excellent stuff IMO. Always makes me happy when I find out I have whenever I log into my MS Account and go "oh yea, I bought that way back when".
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2018-01-18 at 05:06 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    In any case it doesn't matter if they know enough or not, because it's their computer, not yours.
    And that's the key question, whether the people who own the computers have control over what is and is not installed on their computers.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Well, if you're not installing Windows updates, Microsoft may not own your computer, but the hackers certainly will. Take your pick.
    The problem is less that people want to install no updates, than it is the software makers trying to make it harder to choose which updates.

Important security updates are increasingly packaged with unrelated updates and the ability to choose critical security and stability improvements without also installing superfluous UI updates and other dross is being taken away unless one is willing to spend a ton of time digging. Or in the case of iOS, there are only update releases with absolutely no ability to retain the UI or other features if Apple decides to change them. If the new UI is terrible for a person's use, then they're left with a choice of a secure but less useful phone, or an insecure but still useful phone.

And then there are entirely optional and often pointless updates, disguised as critical updates. The "update to Windows 10" nagware that was installed on older Windows versions was in part disguised as a critical update. The creepy-as-hell telemetry additions to older versions of Windows were disguised as critical updates. Etc.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2018-01-18 at 07:43 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.