New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default Re: OOTS #1108 - The Discussion Thread

Fun one here but mostly I love Elan's comment in the end.
    Minister of sarcasm and pragmatism of the Grayview fanclub.

No, none of us were altering the unimutable laws of physics. That would be wrong.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

You know when she's not irrationally hating someone for a perceived slight she's pretty dang smart.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Hilgya probably didn't try to scry on one of the team members because she wouldn't have been sure that Durkon would stay with the party. She projects a lot and thinks that Durkon is disloyal and hedonistic because that's what she was.
    Last edited by Dovetail; 2017-12-29 at 05:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    So, if Durkon can block scrying because he's Lawful, why didn't she try locating Belkar or Elan?
    The party had left Durkon behind, she might have assumed he wouldn't join up with them again.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    So, if Durkon can block scrying because he's Lawful, why didn't she try locating Belkar or Elan?
    It's not because he's Lawful, but because he has a decent Will save.

It's the same reason why Qarr advised Z to scry on Mr Scruffy in a bonus strip.
    Last edited by hroşila; 2017-12-29 at 05:36 PM.
    ungelic is us

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Looks like Roy Is Archon is back and enacting Roy's plan in Panel 7.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I doubt it. Hilgya isn't really after starting up any sort of conversation with Durkon, though, so why would she Send anything to him? To her mind that would just warn him she's coming and give him time to prepare.
    Ah, yeah, that makes more sense. A sensible person would send to him rather than just immediately concluding such negative things about him, but I guess that's not Hilgya's way. So she only tried scrying on him, was blocked by will save, and thus has seen nothing of him.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Looks like Roy Is Archon is back and enacting Roy's plan in Panel 7.
    Would you care to elaborate? I really don't know what is Roy's plan for Roy's archon, and I didn't get anything from this strip.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

So she DID try to contact and/or find Durkon before assuming he was shirking his duty towards her, which means she does have decent reasons to think he's a pretty crappy person, even though she's wrong!

Well, imagine that.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by oonker View Post
    Would you care to elaborate? I really don't know what is Roy's plan for Roy's archon, and I didn't get anything from this strip.
    Roy asked Roy's Archon to do something unknown, which even he won't remember at this point, due to his lack of memory of the afterlife. This is irrelevant, however, as the glowing orb illuminating the Order's surroundings is a Light spell, rather than a divine being.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    So she DID try to contact and/or find Durkon before assuming he was shirking his duty towards her, which means she does have decent reasons to think he's a pretty crappy person, even though she's wrong!

Well, imagine that.
    Except that she admits herself that he was unconsciously resisting the spell. That says nothing about his moral character that anybody even reasonably well-balanced would take as a reason to despise him.
    Last edited by Dragolord; 2017-12-29 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Added an extra response.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dragolord View Post
    Roy asked Roy's Archon to do something unknown, which even he won't remember at this point, due to his lack of memory of the afterlife. This is irrelevant, however, as the glowing orb illuminating the Order's surroundings is a Light spell, rather than a divine being.
    Roy remembers what happened in the waiting area and when he was floating around down with the living.

He only doesn't remember what happened on the mountain with his mom, brother, and grandfather.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

This looks like a Chekhov's gun to me.

The fact that tracking spells no longer work on Undead Vampire Durkon may help the team clue in to the real nature of vampires in their world: i.e. that the original souls are there but subdued by evil spirits.

Maybe this will be important to the team "saving" Durkon by dusting Durkula then Resurrecting Durkon.
    Last edited by Basement Cat; 2017-12-30 at 02:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    When the best outcome of a plan is 'an evil Lich obtains supreme power and conquers most of if not all the world,' you need a better plan.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!”

"Eeeek!!!!"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Doktor View Post
    Do dwarf babies have beards already?
    Nale had a goatee as a baby, so why not?

Also, I don't think that's Roy's archon in the strip, I think it's the Light spell up near the ceiling.
    Last edited by Darth Paul; 2017-12-29 at 07:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, imagine that.
    "His Will save is too good" is not a decent reason to jump to any conclusions. She only tried to find him in a way that wouldn't reveal her involvement. She didn't try to Send to him, as far as we know (and since there's no reason why Sending would fail, it's safe to assume that nope, she didn't try). I think it's more likely that she made up her mind about Durkon long before she started looking for him, and I wouldn't be surprised if the reason she avoided Sending to him is that she wanted to catch him off his guard and unprepared when she finally came to teach him a little lesson.
    Last edited by hroşila; 2017-12-29 at 07:03 PM.
    ungelic is us

15. - Top - End - #45

I was under the impression that if you attempted to scry on someone, and they resisted the attempt via Will save, that they would be at the very least aware that they had resisted a spell being cast on them, and possibly that it was a scrying attempt. Is that a misunderstanding of the rules on my part?

16. - Top - End - #46

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by ellindsey View Post
    I was under the impression that if you attempted to scry on someone, and they resisted the attempt via Will save, that they would be at the very least aware that they had resisted a spell being cast on them, and possibly that it was a scrying attempt. Is that a misunderstanding of the rules on my part?
    I don't know how it works on d&d, but I think that's how it works here since Hilgya says they resist it subconsiously.

Also loved the strip. Everybody who opened their mouth on this strip made me laugh

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Narrative abhors a vacuum...

Elan still gets the best lines.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Stumbling onto plot really is an effective way of adventuring.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Colossus in the Playground

Well, imagine that.
    Scry, not contact. Taking that to mean she wanted to talk to him, rather than that--as she's already stated--she's been looking for him with murderous intentions for a long time, is...kind of a big assumption.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Narrative abhors a vacuum"

Words to live by!

So planning to use that line!
    Don't you mean words to Quest by?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kudzu looks like he's just having a great time the whole strip and he is adorable.

It really is jarring to see someone judge stiff, uptight Durkon this harshly. I guess bias is inevitable, but you have to jump pretty far before most of those accusations would even feasibly apply to him.

Well, one way or another, their reunion promises to be...dramatic.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by ellindsey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverCacaobean View Post
    I don't know how it works on d&d, but I think that's how it works here since Hilgya says they resist it subconsiously.

Also loved the strip. Everybody who opened their mouth on this strip made me laugh
    Under D&D rules a will save vs. scrying is automatic unless you actively choose not to take one, there's no penalty for being asleep or unaware of the spell. Thus subconscious resistance is an appropriate term. Under D&D rules you always know if you have succeeded at a will save after the save is rolled (if you fail you may never know).

But you don't get any special knowledge of what caused the will save without a spellcraft roll, specifically one use of Spellcraft is: "After rolling a saving throw against a spell targeted on you, determine what that spell was. No action required. No retry." The DC is 30 for Scrying cast by a Cleric. Remember that a roll of 20 is not an automatic success on a skill check and that Spellcraft is Int based. It's entirely possible that Greg or Durkon fails that check on a natural 20.

Ergo, Durkon may have once or twice at some point resisted a spell without any good idea of what spell he had just resisted or of who had cast it. Maybe he just assumed it was Nale or someone.
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2017-12-29 at 08:42 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Halfling in the Playground

Durkon's Will save must be incredible. Considering Scrying is a Divine spell, I'd think having Durkon's lover and also his kid (if it is indeed such) would add a significant DC number.

Gods tend to factor in relations and blood. Loki especially.

Of course, even a successful Scrying or Locate Creature are of limited use. Limited sight and time.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Ergo, Durkon may have once or twice at some point resisted a spell without any good idea of what spell he had just resisted or of who had cast it. Maybe he just assumed it was Nale or someone.
    Hah! So THAT's why Durkon had to make a bunch of Will Saves and no one else did in Dragon Magazine!

(Or Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales if, like me, you do not have all the OotS-containing Dragon Magazines)
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

25. - Top - End - #55

If they want to improve the chance of successful scrying, someone has to say that they have no chance that it will work, because Elan has already proven that "a one-in-a-million chance is a sure thing!"

26. - Top - End - #56

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    If they want to improve the chance of successful scrying, someone has to say that they have no chance that it will work, because Elan has already proven that "a one-in-a-million chance is a sure thing!"
    That strip also kind of justifies why Hilgya's attempts of scrying failed (barring Loki shenanigans). "A 10% is pretty unlikely." I'm not saying that her chance of success is 10%, just that she was much more likely to fail than succeed but her chance of success was much better than one-in-a-million. In this universe odds like that spell certain failure

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Explanation of why she couldn't find Durkon: he resisted the spell. Conclusion: Sending wouldn't work? Yeah, I know if I can't find someone over the Internet, calling them by cellphone is clearly not going to work when you know what number to dial. Sorry folks, word is still out on the reason for not sending. Could be malicious intent, could be projection, could be one of the character-driven poor choices that drive this story. Like jumping on a flying dragon with express intent to kill the flying thing in midair
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

28. - Top - End - #58

She didn't want to talk to him.

She wanted to find out where he was, hunt him down, and kill him, without him knowing she was coming. Scrying would have let her know at the very least what his surroundings looked like, with him unaware that she was doing so. Sending would only have sent a message, and would have let him know she was looking for him.

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by Baelzar View Post
    Durkon's Will save must be incredible. Considering Scrying is a Divine spell, I'd think having Durkon's lover and also his kid (if it is indeed such) would add a significant DC number.
    Nope. She met him briefly. That's a +0. So the DC is 15 plus Hilgya's WIS modifier (at least +3, as she needs a 15 to cast a fifth level spell), and Durkon's WILL save will be (depending on level at the time of scrying) +8 to +10, plus his WIS modifier (currently pegged at +11, see Geekery). So Durkon will make that save unless rolling a 1.

Anyway, Hilgya's being an idiot. If you don't know where someone is, going to where you know they need to go is the smartest option available generally. It's even a trope, called cutting them off at the pass.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I approve of this comic, but then, I approved of this comic just from reading the title. I cannot resist a Cure pun.
    I'm the ranger
    Killing a scarab

- The Cure Light Wounds
    from Three Illusion (Figment) Boys
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    And make no mistake, the real couter-argument to the idea that any wavering from historical demographic verisimilitude needs to be explained... is Roy.
    As an author, stooping to provide an explanation for any of those things in the story is to tacitly acknowledge the belief that they are Other that have no business being in the story without a good reason. And **** that.