New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 26 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

The continuing adventures of Bobin, Jon and Jack - and currently, King Ogg and Clovius the kinda-sorta priest.

Spoiler: Stuff from the original thread - including cast
    Show

Spoiler: Silverbrook

Silverbrook holds most things you might imagine a small farming community would. There is a mill - owned by Mayor Finnegal. There is a smithy, and the smith is a surly ork by the name of Gnarl. There is a guesthouse called The Loom, which doubles as a sort of trading station. On a small hill outside town stands a small temple (I don't do gods - invent any you like, all deities are worshipped in any and all churches). Father Antonius holds sway here, a sombre and serious man.

There are no magic shoppes in this small, rural farming village.

It holds something on the order of 1500 souls, has low wooden walls and a militia of 50 men, none of whom are combat trained.

Spoiler: The Bazaar

The bazaar is a random, weird and ramshackle a place as might be imagined. It has no leaders, no hierarchy, no authority. There is one group who'd like that differently - with them in charge, naturally. This is The Esteemed Council of the Sigilite Mercantile Charter. SMC for short. This group of beings - primarily humanoid in overall appearance - have erected a small stronghold, propably some sort of Leomund's Trademarked Magical Abode.

Another group, The Seekers of the Radiant Dawn, are missionaries come to this prime to spread the word of divine beings not worshipped here (this is in direct contradiction with what I just said - I'm making it up as I go along!). Also mostly of humanoid shape, these are prettier than the Mercantile Charter.

There is fairly scary business selling cheap labor. They are great big skittery insects. A big sign outside reads 'Excess Labor Force To Rent For Cheap!'

Less surprising to those knowledgable in such things, there is a Grumzangers Arcanery franchise. There are numerous booths selling weird otherplanar metals, cures and potions brewed on Acheron, and so on. There are also purchasers - buying food and raw materials, and primitive local arts and crafts.

Spoiler: The 16 or so ....
    Hide
    System: Basically D&D E6, low-op, story focussed
    Player Count: 3-5
    Style of Play: Elements of open world, story - I'm not particularly focused on combat
    Allowed Content:

PHB
    DMG
    MM
    Psionics
    SRD
    Other stuff ... well basically, don't get your hopes up, but I'll consider case by case

Character Creation: 32 point buy or 4d6b3 - honestly I prefer point buy, I fail to see the charm of rolling randomly
    Backstory: Yes
    Experience: You start with 1 xp
    Wealth: Standard WBL
    Ability Scores: Isn't this the same as char gen?!
    Hitpoints/Health: Max level one, then rolled
    Alignment: None - but I do frown very heavily on chaotic stupid, and in-party shenanigans
    Other Notes:

Spoiler: Cast of characters:

Mayor Finnegal: A dwarf, a miller and a refined gentleman. Rufkin Finnegal treads carefully a narrow path between opportunity and risk. He is reputed to be as rich as a count.
    Gnarl the smith: He's an ork. He ponds metal as if he has some strong negative feelings towards it, charges stiff prices, and keeps to himself.
    Ma Gertrude: Kindly old lady. Makes tea. Knits. Is reputed to have no magical ability in her old bones what ... so ... ever. This confuses everybody.
    Odmun: Human. Innkeeper. Well liked by everybody, but mostly because he tells jokes and stories, and plays the fiddle. Everyone knows he can't cook worth a damn, and he waters down his ale and alcohol. If you want proper drink, you somehow talk your way into an invitation from Finnegal.
    Father Antonius: The local vicar. Tall. Solemn. Dresses in muted colors. Gives surprisingly fiery sermons for such a silent, brooding man. Now, also a main villain.
    Clovius: The new local vicar. Actually an actor who got tired of the stage. The rumors he seduced a noblemans wife are wildly exaggerated, and he's not really on the run. Perfectly happy playing the part of a priest, so long as there is food and wine.
    Jenelle: Young lady in whose room you arrived by accident. Fetching.

Faelthalaniel: A mindflayer. He has bought some land. Apparently, he also makes potions of great power.

Farahd: An inquisitor called in by Antonius. Has demonstrated the ability to cast spells - he is the first NPC to do so.

Quintus Executus: Chairman of this branch of the Sigilite Mercantile Charter. Seems human, feels ... not quite so. Wears very visibly expensive rings. The way he speaks makes you think he wishes he could charge you for the words.
    Lux, the Illuminant: Leader of the Seekers of the Radiant Dawn. Clearly some sort of celestial being. She has a halo.
    Fizpander: Proprietor of Grumzangers Arcanery. He's a goblin. While dressed - and generally mannered - as a respectable gentleman, he does tend to caper when excited.

Zurl'gech: A being that resides in the burnt-out ruins of an orc village below Silverbrook. It's a sort of hive creature, being made up entirely of black beetles with red markings. It seems to be related to negative plane energy somehow, can animate the dead - and also creates elixirs of great power.

Grimfangel: A proprietor of various species of lifeforms, either unhatched or fledgeling
    Ghuzla: A juggler
    Arngren: A tired looking vendor Now a resident of Valhalla.

Sigil:
    Hush and Shade: Co-Proprietors of an establishment named after them. They are cambions. Also information brokers. Also convinced they shall meet the NPC's again.
    Odo: Astral guide.
    Gerripyke: He has a shop, and sells many types of wondrous items.
    The Jade Lady: Some girl in the park.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-01-24 at 04:47 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

As they go through the dark city in search of the hungry to feed, Jon asks king Ogg. "So, now that you're back an' all, is there any, like, kingly royal law edict o' somesuch you wanna do?"
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Hum. I decree that ogres and humans must live in peace. And that there must be more boar meat. Um. Maybe something about thursdays - I've never gotten the hang of thursdays.

As you walk, you soon spot some of the less fortunate souls of the city. At the offer of free food, they happily join you, munching on some morsel while hoping for more.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bobin nods to Jack in assent. "It sounds like a few guards may be stirring, we'd best make haste," he whispers quietly. Bobin then heads off in the direction of the room they first entered, as quietly as possible while still moving quickly. Hmm, I wonder if the rope is still there... ah, surely it is! Bobin wonders to himself.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2018-01-02 at 08:12 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

"Peace right? Who ain't want peace! An' Thursdays! Don't get me started on 'em," replies Jon, not entirely sure where that thing about Thursdays came from.

Jon finds a bench to sit on and shares the contents of his bag of food with anyone who asks. "It's good t'have mo' friends t'eat wit'. Too bad for Druffel he ain't come wit' us, heh? I wonder where Bobin an' Jack are." Jon sighs.

Toby is busy at the moment. He's found a stray dog to play with.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

As there are definite sounds of the guard contingent stirring themselves into action, Jack and Bobin rush back up the stairs, to find the rope by which they entered still attached. It's a lot harder to go up a rope than down, but eventually they make it back to the clock tower. Fortunately, the guards take a good long while to realise the point of entry - actually, it's only when they listen to one maid complain about a room being haunted. Which is good, because hanging on a rope 100 feet in the air is counterproductive for dodging crossbow bolts.

Jon and Ogg have a feast with the various unfortunates of the city, until Creigh shows up.

We should really move. You made it out, which is good - but they will be coming. You're not exactly inconspicuous. Not that ogres generally are.

Toby, somewhere, mysteriously or perhaps predictably, is having italian pasta and song.

7. - Top - End - #7

With no sign of Creigh when they reach the top of the clock tower, Bobin makes his way to the bottom with Jack. Peering out into the dark streets, he takes a moment to think about where Jon and Ogg might have headed after their presumed exit from the manor. "Well, Jon and Ogg must have left via the main entrance... If we start near there, perhaps we can find a passer-by hows seen which way they went. Even at night and ogre would be hard to miss, I think."

Bobin sets off down the street toward the manor entrance, but is careful to stick to shadows when possible, and keeps his ears and eyes open in case of any guards or the like.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

A spot check and a listen check, in case the manor guards have been fully roused and are sallying forth.

Listen - (1d20+10)[21]
    Spot - (1d20+7)[11]
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

It takes a decent while to climb 200 feet along a rope. By the time Bobin and Jack make it back to the main entrance to the keep, a force of House Beltraine guards is already assembling, led by a sargeant and a very groggy looking Trufaut standing by.

It's not difficult to track Ogg, since he's quite certainly the only ogre in town. However, it's similarly easy for the ten guards who follow just behind. When Bobin and Jack spot Jon, Ogg and Creigh, the guards are just around the corner.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

"But go where? I'm tired o' all this sneakin' 'round an' stuff! Why can't people just say what they want!" Jon looks around himself, looking over the few people in need that have joined their feast. "Like, can the King make a law 'gainst hungry people? Like city people should give 'em food an' all an' not let 'em starve?" Jon looks back and forth from Creigh to Ogg while saying that last piece.

Show
    Riiiiiiiight, "Pasta and song" is my new favorite euphemism for animal coupling

You know what, I was envisionning something more of "chasing each other" or "rough and tumble over a piece of bone" kind of playing, but if you want to be like this, yes, it's like this.

I can only blame myself for the shallowness of my previous description

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Spoiler: These baseless allegations!
    Show

Pasta and song:

As you will observe, no coupling is involved. I consider Toby to be a gentleman above reproach!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Oh, also:

Creigh looks slightly baffled, shrugging his shoulders as if to say isn't that mostly their own responsibility?!

Ogg looks down at his food, seeming to do a quick mental calculus along the lines of well, um, long as there's still enough for the city's ogre population - sure!

The assembled downtrodden, however, cry out 'Yea! Preach!' and so on.

At about the same time, Jack and Bobin arrive, slightly out of breath and looking marginally harried.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-01-03 at 04:07 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

During the whole escape and subsequent search for the ogre, Jack says very little. There's precious little to say, too much to do, and not nearly enough time to do it.
    As the reach the rest of the party, however, the goblin slows a little, just enough for a proper entry. "My King" he salutes, bowing. "I am glad to find you in such a great shape." He glances back for an instance, before continuing: "Uhm, shall we continue?" he gestures, toward the side opposite from where they came. He also shoots a look towards Creigh, asking for directions.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Creigh waits idly, until he suddenly realizes everyone is looking to him for a decision.

Uh ... He begins, clearly not well prepared for this stage of the plan.

We should go straight to the Marshall - Ogg will be safe there. Propably no safer place anywhere.

Ogg, for his part, digs into the satchel of food, comes up with a loaf of bread, and tears into it contentedly, apparently entirely unconcerned with his own safety.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon might well have reached a turning point in his life. Once a life of much irresponsibility and not seeing the big picture. He was next to ready to stand up and take a cause, fight for the opprossed, the forsaken, those who've fallen through the cracks of society.

He might have.

And then, Bobin and the Sky Captain arrive, and somehow, Jon's shoulders stoop, maybe with resignation, maybe with shame. "Huuuh, sorry for leavin' you guys..."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

The crowd - 5 or 6 men and women in various stages of poverty or destitution - see the change, and their smiles fade. One mutters, saddend:

But ... what about food for the needy?

But it was all just a dream. They clutch what meals they got hold of tightly, and turn to leave.

Across the square, the first soldier rounds the corner, spots you and calls to his sargeant: Yo sarge - I see them!

16. - Top - End - #16

Bobin pats Jon on the back (or rather, the small of his back, about as high as the halfling can reach), saying "Nonsense! You made it out with King Ogg, which was exactly what we set out to do!"

Bobin glances over his shoulder as he hears the following soldiers yell, and adds "But I think we'd better leg it to the Marshall, which sounds like a good enough place to be for the time being." Bobin turns on his heel, and begins to move away from the approaching soldiers, gesturing to the others "Come on! We can discuss helping the downtrodden when we're not actively being pursued!"
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Observing that his friends seem troubled, Ogg reaches out for the nearest thing that signals 'weapon size' to him - it happens to be a signpost - snaps if off without little visible effort, and slings it over his shoulder.

Much discussion of trodden downers, later. Now, much running. Ogg seems to not really consider it running from anything, but simply a physical exercise to be enjoyed for it's own sake.

You leg it through the city with Creigh guiding, and arrive in short order at yet another stronghold. This, however, isn't easily mistaken for some family fort - it's beyond huge, tripple walled and moated, definitely designed to withstand any siege.

It's heavy gates are closed tight. There isn't anyone obviously visible to open them.

Behind you, out of breath - but here - you find Trufaut, the sargeant and 10 mailed guards.

Trufaut, trying to seem like he hasn't just run halfway through the city, steps forward and commands:

Give it up. It was a nice attempt, but this is where it ends.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon's eyes narrow. At first it seems he has a hard time figuring out what the nobleman is saying. Then suddenly, he smiles and waves.

"Hey, Droffo! It's you right? You just run 'way when I come fo' dinner but th'King, he says you're a good guy! Nice t'meet you, I'm Jon an' that 'ere is..." Jon's voice trails off as he looks 'round his legs. "Huh? Where's Toby? 'nyone seen Toby?" Jon just shrugs. "He finds his way."

Show
    You do remember that get pups at the end of that movie? Clearly, something more than having pasta does happen.

Yeah, who cares about kings and politics when Toby is busy insuring his genes survive after his death.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

My name, he says, seething, is Trufaut, you plebian ape. Get it right or don't use it.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

From safely behind one of the ogre's calfs, Jack yells back with all he has: "So, Mr. Truefat, let me get this straight. Are you really threatening violence against your rightful ruler here, of all places, one step away from the Marshal's fortress?"

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

"He's threatening us?" asks Jon, dumbfounded. "But you said he's a good guy!" exclaims Jon to the King.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Ogg looks at Jon, confused: I did? Hm. He seems momentarily lost in an attempt at recollection.

Trufaut seems to not appreciate the continued deliberate mispronounciation of his name. What ever state of rage comes after fuming, that's where he is.

I'm threatening violence against his abducters. And if the Marshall knows what's best for him, he'll stay out of this. Maybe he'll retain his post once a true king sits the throne again.

He then changes tack, turning his attention to Ogg:

Ogg, my King - these fools you surround yourself have little to offer you. They are not citizens of this city, but mere hired thugs,
    mercenaries, in the employ of your enemies. You should trust me. What have they actually done for you?

Ogg, already in deeper straits of thought than his intellect can easily navigate, wrinkles his brow even deeper.

Well - they seem nice. And Jon want's to help the trodden.

Spoiler: Rolls:
    Show

Trufaut, Diplomacy: (1d20+8)[20]
    Ogg, Sense Motive: (1d20-2)[18]

It's not really a fair fight, is it? Oh - pretty close.

Ogg looks from one to the other, and back again.

Well ... for one thing, they haven't asked me to sign anything. He lifts the signpost off his shoulder. You notice it indicates the crossing of Cannof Street and Ashwurp Avenue.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-01-05 at 02:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Bobin lends his voice, entreating Ogg as best he can: "Don't listen to Mr. Truffles, good King Ogg. He and his reptilian ilk seek only to install you as a puppet and then continue to carry out the same dishonourable deeds that they have throughout the ages; they don't care for anyone but themselves. It's true we may not be citizens, technically, but we share your love of the common folk. I beseech you, Good King Ogg, stand with us!" Bobin looks up toward the ogre imploringly.

Show

I suppose a diplomacy check is in order, though I'm not sure how much good it'll do.
    Diplomacy - (1d20-1)[5]
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon looks at Bobin, visibly lost. "What d'you mean? So Truffles' a good guy or a bad guy!?"

Clearly, nobody cares much about Jon's tantrum. "I'm pretty sure he's a bad guy!" he says to Ogg. "I mean, I think he is?"

Jon's eyes set on Trufaut, narrowing in concentration.

Show
    I'm pretty sure Trufaut is Evil, but hey, Jon is bluffing here before he knows for certain. Bluff - (1d20+8)[9]. EDIT: haha, pretty nice fail, here. Jon's really confused by everything, I guess :)

Also, Detect Evil on Trufaut.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2018-01-06 at 07:23 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack signals Bobin, as if saying 'Stop, not like that!'
    Instead he replies: "What? We've been his loyal friends. What about you, Mr Troutfeast? Are you admitting to trying to bribe the king?"
    Show
    And now it's that time where we all roll things and fail. Really, if this were Dungeon World we would be into the epic levels by now.
    Soooo... Diplomacy - (1d20+9)[21]

I was also thinking of trying to charm someone. Targets include Ogg (a waste, probably), Trufault and the Sarge. What do you guys think?

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Spoiler: Jon
    Show

Watching Trufaut's aura is like watching a kettle at full boil - a kettle filled with red water, in the agitated state of turmoil boiling is. Trufaut is not, so Jon thinks, a particularly nice person. Also, he's angry enough to commit murder.

Spoiler: Jack
    Show

Just remember that ogres aren't persons, so it costs more to cham them.

Everyone is talking, back and forth, and too much of it is longer words than Ogg has any patience for. He takes a step forward - ogre steps are long - and raises his signpost threateningly. Trufaut goes pale as a sheet, and you feel confident his life flashes before his eyes, but Ogg only grunts, HRUNH!

The trelaine soldiers all step back hastily, Trufaut faster than all.

This isn't over, you backwater peasants. You'll see.

With that he turns and walks off, leaving the sargeant to gather his men and follow along.

A few moments later, a slot in the gate slides open - tired eyes accompanied by a tired voice: .. whatever it is, I'm not interested.
    Keep the infernal racket down, and come back in the morning ... if you must.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-01-06 at 09:10 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Bobin, caught up in the moment, calls out after Trufaut: "Maybe someday you'll learn that there's nothing wrong with being a backwater peasant, you pompous blowhard!" When he turns back to the others, he begins to feel a little sheepish, and gives a look as if to say "that was too much, wasn't it."

When the gate-man tells them to come back in the morning, Bobin just shrugs his shoulders and settles down nearby, wrapping his cloak about him and settling in for the rest of the night.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah!" yells Jack from his high lack of height. "All hail the one true king!". The distinctive racial drive of goblinoids to follow their strongest member is in full bloom in Jack right now.

As the gate-man speaks, he turns back toward the door and proclaim: "Let us in and fetch the Marshall, good man, for the King is Back!"

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

As Trufaut and his cronies leave, Jon turns to the King. "Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's a bad guy now."

When the guard behind the slit refuses them entry, Jon shrugs and turns towards Ogg and Bobin, leaving Jack to further negotiate. "So, d'you reckon we got some food left? I think there's still some in my bag, though it might be just the plates left. M'be we can feed the 'trodden 'ere too," he adds, showing, with a wide gesture of the arm, the plaza in front of the Marshal's keep.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Whoever is behind the gate draws closer, realises what he's looking at, and exclaims: Heavens - you brought the ogre! He turns from your sight, and you hear him yell inside 'ring the alarm - there'll be trouble!' Then he turns back to you: Better hurry inside.
    I don't know what they'll do, but I'm sure they'll think of something.

There is a clattering of chains and rattling of bars, and the heavy gate rumbles open. Inside, an elderly chap is dressed in all any soldier really needs - boots and halberd. You thank whatever powers you expect to watch over you that he's also in a nightshirt.

You're ushered inside, and the gate shuts again with a deep thunder. Guards are gathering, most still struggling into their mail or strapping on weapons. The elderly chap - who finds a moment to present himself as Brogan, by the by - watch sargeant, not that anyone seems to care, - leads you through the great keep. Through another two gates and across corresponding moats, and finally into a dining hall, where yet another man seems to have been just rushed out of his warm feathers.

This guy is old. He has a trimmed, grey beard that looks like it could be used to remove rust from your armor, steely eyes - and deep lines on his face. What hair remains to him is whispy, but partly made up for by bushy eyebrows. He's in a morning robe, while a adjudant is busily lighting candles, bringing slippers and warming coffee.

Thank you Brogan - you'd better get back to the gate, keep things in order. Without you to shout at them, I fear the the men might be more danger to themselves than anyone else. Brogan nods, and walks off again.

The old man then turns to you, spending a moment to take in Ogg in all his splendour.

Um .. good morning to you, I guess. Couldn't have waited a few hours, eh? Well, never mind.

I'm Ducas Bellweather, appointed Grand Marshall of the army of Madripore. The big guy there I know must be Ogg - King Hogue II - but the rest or you aren't known to me. Who are you, and ... precisely what trouble have you decided to drop in my lap, eh?

He gestures vaguely at the chairs around the table. Ogg finds himself a sturdy chest to sit on.