New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Heck, I do have 1 rank in vested in K: psionic, so why not: KPsi - (1d20+6)[22]
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

2. - Top - End - #182
    Banned

Spoiler: Knowledge, Psionics
    Show

Phrenic Creatures are ordinary wildlife that has mutated or otherwise developed psionic ability. The ability to travel dimensions isn't exclusively psionic, but the discipline of psychoportation is particularly adept at it - even beyond the abilities of the greatest mages whispered in the dustiest tomes of history.

There is a better than average chance these cats displayed psionic ability. Whether that necessarily makes them phrenic creatures or not is uncertain. But maybe that's not even important.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

When the statue mentions the Shadow Cat elven name, Jack's brains finally click. Turning around he says:
    "Actually, you know what: I think those cat creatures are exactly what we are looking for. Unfortunately, we'll have to break their skills open if we want to get what we need. Hopefully their friends are ok with that."
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2018-03-15 at 05:02 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #184
    Banned

Spoiler: Cats
    Show

You did just kill two, though. They're like, right there.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Right. Sorry, my bad. Long night on duty. Let me retcon that.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon scratches his head. "There's that locket thingy stuff, too, no? I mean, that's what y'said at the inn an' all."
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes Jon, that too." says Jack, perhaps not too helpfully.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon scratches his head again. Then, he frowns as he seems to remember something. "Is that the thingy with th'elf girl or somethin'? Maybe th'statue guy knows her?"
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

"Uhm?" Jack's mind is focused on the sweet phrenic pineal glands that are waiting for him just a little distance away. However, the suggestion is absolutely sensible, so Jack does turn around once more and shows the locket to the statue, asksing in elven if it recognise the lady depicted in it.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

10. - Top - End - #190
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bobin hands Jack the locket to show to the statue while he takes over the harvesting of the shadow cats pineal glands. He begins the messy work of cracking open one of the cat skulls with his mind blade, being careful not to damage any of the brain inside.

"Don't worry Jon, this won't take long. Then we'll return the locket and be off in no time at all!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Any rolls needed for harvesting the glands? Also, I have psionic written down in my notes, as opposed to phrenic, but I could have very well written it down wrong. I haven't gone back through the threads to check. Oh, unless Jack was looking for something different than Bobin.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2018-03-15 at 10:16 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    I would not wager on one over the other. For me phrenic is just a fancy term for psionic, but I understand that mechanically there's a difference.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2018-03-16 at 06:51 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

12. - Top - End - #192
    Banned

When Jack adresses the statue, it repeats in elven: Aahh - visitors. Welcome, noble travellers, to the house and home of Fael. Feel free to visit the beastiary, the fairy circus, the shady paths, the restful retreat or the garden of lights. The master will attend to you soon. It seems to be nothing more than an automaton with a few programmed responses.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's no use. We have to ask the right questions or we get useless answers." comments Jack, hearing the statue's response. He tries: "Where is the master? Can you announce us to him?
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2018-03-17 at 05:29 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

14. - Top - End - #194
    Banned

Your presence has been announced. The master will attend to you soon.

While Jack and Jon are busy trying to converse with the somewhat unhelpful statue, Bobin sets to the unpleasant task of cracking open skulls and digging through brains looking for a 'pineal gland'. Having heard simply that it looks something like a pine cone, Bobin is eventually able to find it and dig it out.

Bobin now needs a beaker or jar or something. And a handkerchief.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack hands Bobin one of the small empty vials he keeps for his poisonmaking moments. No spare handkerchief, unfortunately.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

16. - Top - End - #196

Bobin carefully places the pinecone shaped gland into the vial that Jack hands. He does his best not to get blood on to his cloak or tunic, and, not having any napkin or handkerchief on hand, wipes his hands off on some of the nearby grass. He dismisses then re-forms his mind blade. The sword reappears in his hand clean and blood-free.

Bobin tucks the vial away safely and then turns to Jack. "What did the statue say? Is the master around? Or do we have to climb that tower?" Bobin looks off toward the imposing black spire in the distance.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm not entirely convinced we can trust what it says. It seems to be stuck in the moment it was created, unaware of the circumstances."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

18. - Top - End - #198

Bobin nods and finishes tidying himself up. "Well, in that case I think we should make for the tower. If the statue's master is around, I'm sure they'll be able to find us." Bobin casts a wary look around into the surrounding greenery. "With any luck those cats or whatever they were won't bother us again, but we'd best keep an eye out for them."

Bobin makes another quick bow to the statue, just in case, then begins to head off toward the black tower, assuming the others follow. "You ever run into cats like that on your travels, Cap'n? I've never seen any cats bigger than a bobcat back home. Can't say I care for them."
    Last edited by Woggle; 2018-03-20 at 10:52 PM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Banned

Spoiler: Sing!
    Show

These cats were made for hurtin' - and that's just what they'll do ... one of these days these cats are gonna hurt all ... over ... you! :p

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

"I've seen bigger. I've seen all kind of things during my travels." brags Jack as they start making their way up. "However, that was from the comfort and safety of my airship. And none of those were like the ones we found here. Belive me, these cats are a particular kind of nasty that is rarely found elsewhere."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

21. - Top - End - #201
    Banned

As you approach the tower, the day darkens. Mostly - but not entirely - because of the clouds circling the top of the tower.

There is the occasional crack of thunder, and flash of lightning. It begins to rain.

The vegetation seems .. wilder, somhow, more twisted, closer to the tower. Every plant seems to have thorns. The path is less overgrown, however, leading straight for the last couple hundred yards. There are statues lining the last stretch, and no doubt they were all once noble elves - proud and wise, resplendent in their finery - but someone went to considerable effort to wreck the statuary. Broken and battered, the marble shards and rubble line the path.

Finally, you stand before the tower. Heavy doors stand ajar slightly. Darkness awaits within.

Spoiler: ...
    Show

DUN-DUN-DUNNN!!!

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    That song comment was the most useless DM commentary ever in the whole history of D&D. I like it.

Also, what's the cat's pelt like? We could make fur boots, gloves and a little hat out of them? That'd look great on Jack, wouldn't it?

"Eeeeew," says Jon, "why d'you take its brains out? Gross!"

Standing in front of the tower, Jon raises his eyes. "Wow, it's really, like, so tall an' all." He then turns to his companion. "So, d'we enter or... Oh, wait, Bobin, you're right, you back t'normal size!"

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

"Shall we?" asks Jack, gesturing the door. He says we, but he really means Jon or Bobin. Still, he keeps his crossbow at the ready, and he probably has an advantage when exploring dark places due to his keen eyesight.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah, a'ight. l̎͂͊̋̈́ͤuͧ̊ͧ̒ͩx͊ͩ͐̋̊̓"

A liquid-looking aura starts flowing around Orduar's surface, giving a strong silvery-gold light. Jon steps into the darkness.

Show
    Cast light on Orduar.

Also, does Jon notice anything when walking in?
    Spot - (1d20-1)[16]
    Listen - (1d20-2)[5]

25. - Top - End - #205
    Banned

As the light ignites, there is the scuttling sound of small animals rushing away and into the shadows.

A once-grand entrancehall is revealed. Paintings and tapestries line the walls, and the moldering remains of thick carpets cover the floor. A chandelier hangs from the ceiling, crystals reflecting Jon's light in a beautiful display. Leaves have blown in through the open door, and the room is in general disarray and decay.

Also, to casual observation, the room wouldn't actually fit inside the tower.

Staircases left and right lead to a platform on the level above.

There is a dissonant scream and screech of rusty metal as some form of contraption in the center of the room unfolds itself from a practical cubic form into a humanoid shape consisting primarily of sharp edges and points. There is a forlorn beauty to it - it moves with a fluid elegance only slighly hampered by rusty joints and lack of care, and it's shape appears uniquely adapted to reducing the vital and animate into the idle and inanimate.

It does not, however, rush immediately to render such service - the reduction of animation - unto you. Instead, it sings:

- stand please -
    -- and state your purpose --
    --- in disturbing the silence ---
    ---- of the masters domains ----

26. - Top - End - #206

Bobin follows closely on Jon's heels as he enters into the darkness of the tower. He winces at the screech of moving metal parts, then composes himself briefly and steps forward. "We humbly seek audience with the master of this tower. We bear a small token of their's that we wish to return." Bobin tries to hide the little nervousness he feels.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Banned

The Blade-Thing seems to be in perpetual motion - a dizzying, mesmerising dance of blades - but pauses at Bobins words. There is a *ding*, and a moment a responding *dong* from somewhere above. Then it steps forward, it's motions somehow, subtly, more threatening, like a tiger or a snake coiled to spring.

- with regrets I inform -
    -- the master is not currently --
    - available -

- thank you for calling -
    --- upon the house of Fael ---

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

"Aw, well, I gues it's time we go back home. Sorry for disturbin' you, and, huh, say hi to your master an' all."

Jon turns on his heel, to realize Jack and Bobin are still standing there. "So, huh, we're goin' home, right?"

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

"Home? Already? What of the poor elf girl in the locket? Don't you want to give her family closure?" asks Jack. He continues: "We just need to make this can of blades understand it has to let us through".

To the machine: "We have a personal delivery for your Master. Let us pass."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

30. - Top - End - #210
    Banned

Show

This is the point of an encounter where rolls will need to back up your intentions. Could be initiative. Could be diplomacy. Could be, I dunno, something else entirely.

The blade-being, what ever it is - blade golem, maybe?! - stands still for just a moment. It's multitude sharp points and edges swivel to position themselves behind it. It looks only marginally less threatening, since that's as good a place as any to strike from. Instead, however, it extends a single, claw tipped hand:

--- i am the extension ---
    -- of the Masters will --
    - anything of his -

-- you may give to me --