New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Banned

Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

Aaaaargh!! Cries the lone halberdier as he charges Jon. Behind him, Bobin takes aim with his mind blade, throws it, and the archer drops - dead before he hits the ground.

Trufaut, visibly fuming with rage, strides toward Bobin. Enough! He exclaims, casting a spell on the halfling.

In the square, Jack tries to dodge past one of the halberdiers.

Spoiler: Rolls and various OOC:
    Show

Halberdier vs Jon:
    Attack: (1d20+2)[5]
    Damage: (1d10+2)[7]

Halberdier vs Jack:
    Attack: (1d20+2)[7]
    Damage: (1d10+2)[9]

Bobin, Will save vs. 14 against Tasha's Hideous Laughter.

This will have to be a double post - since Jack stated his intention, but no needed rolls.

Regarding Jack, the following applies:

The halberdiers are now all in one place, that being his last hiding place. Meaning he can hide from all of them. No matter where he hides, one of the archers will have view. Well, that's not entirely true: He could also try to dodge inside one of the buildings around the square. Also, since it's dark, he can try to hide basically anywhere, because he has concealment - but as long as he's sniping, he also has a pretty harsh penalty.

He can try to maximize his positive modifiers, going to the farthest corner, getting a -4 or -5 for the archers. Going into the corner also - obviously - means a risk of being caught there.

Also please note that dodging past enemies with reach weapons is a potentially very bad idea. Of course, if they have combat reflexes it's really bad, but that's not really to be expected.

God - these rolls! =)

For their part, one of the archers decides that - 'hey, maybe this is a career apportunity' - and takes command. Draw - and hold! He shouts.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-02-05 at 03:16 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Jack
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    The halberdiers are now all in one place, that being his last hiding place. Meaning he can hide from all of them. No matter where he hides, one of the archers will have view. Well, that's not entirely true: He could also try to dodge inside one of the buildings around the square. Also, since it's dark, he can try to hide basically anywhere, because he has concealment - but as long as he's sniping, he also has a pretty harsh penalty.
    - How so? If I read things correctly, Trufault's side is busy with Jon and Bobin, while the opposite side is empty (save for the archer on the ground, bleeding: I do not think he's paying much attention to Jack).
    - It follows that on the turns that Jack is not sniping, he doesn't get the -20 modifier, does he?
    - Getting inside/on top of one of the buildings could be a good idea. Being cornered: not so much. Jack could levitate up or down as needed (and this is why he is targeting the archers first).
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #93
    Banned

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Four streets lead to the square. Four teams of archer+halberdier. Now, two archers are dead, one halberdier charged Jon - that still leaves three halberdiers chasing Jack, and two archers.

If Jack doesn't shoot, clearly he also doesn't incur the penalty. I did say: As long as he's sniping. If he doesn't shoot, he isn't sniping.

Climbing a wall is certainly an option. If does hinge heavily on not being seen. Being half way up a wall, and in full view of competent archers, is generally not considered wise =)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon easily dodges away the clumsy swipe. "Come on! This is bein... huuuuh, what's the word?"

Jon raises orduar and nonchalantly brings down the spear's butt right in the guard's nose. "Oh yeah, ridiculous, that's it. All ridiculous an' like an' all."

Show
    I smiled at the career opportunity thing :)

Well, I get some penalties for power attack (-3), some others for dealing nonlethal (-4), and +20 because of the spell.
    Attack - (1d20+20)[27]
    Damage - (1d8+11)[18], nonlethal.

If the guy goes down, Jon uses his remaining move action to close in with Trufaut.

(Why do self-important noble *******s always get French sounding surnames?)
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2018-02-06 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Grammar
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

5. - Top - End - #95
    Banned

Spoiler: Nobles
    Show

It's actually worse than you might think - 'cause, Trufaut is his family name. He's called Lιon Valverde Trufaut, and he suffers daily the indignity of being a paid employee of the much more powerful Baltraine family. So not only is he an arrogant noble. He's a bitter, arrogant noble, who feels slighted by the very fact that he has to work for a living.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

An odd feeling washes over Bobin as the spell's words leave Trufaut's lips. The whole business with the key and walking into a trap, and all that ridiculousness earlier with a ghost-inhabited ogre... the ghost of a king, no less! It was all a bit too much, and the humour of it all starts to bubble up from Bobin's core to his throat, urging him to laugh. It's not that funny, actually, he thinks to himself, and shakes the grasping mental tendrils of the spell from his mind.

With his wits firmly under his control, Bobin re-forms his mindblade in his hand. He glares at Trufaut, his qualms about having just slain a guard mixing with his distaste of Trufaut's haugty arrogance to fan the flames of a growing anger. "What has all of this served, but to get your men killed?" Bobin takes a step forward, raising his blade angrily to halt any potential interruption, continuing through gritted teeth. "I know you don't care whether they live or die. See this blade? It's made of thought, but it's very real. Call them off or I'll stick you like a pig with it and watch as your blood drains out into the street."

Show

Bobin will move-action manifest his mindblade, then as an action attempt to intimidate (demoralize) Trufaut (I know, I know, Bobin has a snowball's chance in hell of actually succeeding, but it feels right). He'll take a 5-foot step toward Trufaut as he's talking.

Intimidate - (1d20-5)[9] (I was just double-checking the SRD, and since Bobin is smaller than Trufaut he takes an extra -4 penalty to the check )

EDIT:I just realized that Bobin needs to be in melee to attempt to demoralize Trufaut. If Bobin can't get close enough with a 5-foot step, he'll instead take another move action to get into melee with Trufaut (instead of the demoralize standard action).
    Last edited by Woggle; 2018-02-07 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Realized Bobin needs to be threatening Trufaut in melee in order to attempt to demoralize
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

7. - Top - End - #97
    Banned

In the square, Jack escapes the small swarm of halberdiers, and sprints quickly through the fading darkness, into one of the stores - the merchant in question, a vendor all things mechanical (hinges, locks, clocks, and various bits and pieces) is in the process of setting up his stall and carrying out his wares, and doesn't notice the three-apples-tall sky captain dodging between his feet.

The inside has the shop itself, with shelves of goods and a counter, and a back room with a workshop, various vices, drills, lathes and a very small forge. There is also a narrow staircase leading up, a manhole in the floor, and a rear door.

Trufaut isn't particularly impressed by Bobin's threat. He takes a step back, shouts loudly for the guards: Men! On me, now! Before replying to Bobin:

What has it served? The common scum of the streets would destroy this city, our entire society - and not know why, except envy and bitterness towards their betters, who keep everything running, and provide food on their tables. You have no idea the damage your actions cause.

He takes a step back, unrolls another scroll, and proceeds to cast it.

A bit down the same street, Jon delivers a tremendous wallop to the halberdier facing him. The man's eyes cross, a look of confusion settles on his face, and he drops to his rearside, looking like ... he needs a moment. Or two.

Breaking off from chasing Jack, the halberdiers rush to aid Trufaut, but aren't quite in range to charge. The bowmen, however, remain ready to fire.

Show

Halberdiers are close enough to Run, and place themselves in melee range - 10' - of Bobin. Archers remain blocking three exits from the squre, ready actions should the tiny goblin show himself again. Trufaut casts Magic Missile, from scroll, because trying to be clever hasn't really worked out for him thus far.

Magic Missile: (2d4+2)[10]

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Jack will reload and refocus (two move actions) unless it already happened, in which case he will use the high ground for another shot.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon sighs with weariness as the guard takes his beauty nap. Seeing everyone running towards Bobin, he does the same. "Hey! Leave th'kid alone!" he shouts as he charges.

Show
    Is Jon in charge range? If so, attack rolled below. If not, he'll get as close as possible.
    The best would be to end up in this configuration, pending Bobin's movement (then Bobin could 5ft step back and heal, or throw a dagger).
    Code:
    .JB
    T..
    HHH

If Jon is in charge range, he'll attack the middle halbardier. Penalties for power attack (-3), penalty for dealing nonlethal (-4), bonus for charge (+2).
    • Attack - (1d20+2)[9], Attack - (1d20+2)[12].
    • Damage - (1d8+11)[16], Crit - (2d8+22)[37].

AoO, in case Truffaut tries to run away or cast a spell. Jon is pissed of at Trufaut. He'll attack him lethally. Any other guard triggering an AoO gets attacked with non-lethal (thus, there's an extra -4 penalty).

AoO 1
    • Attack - (1d20+4)[14], Attack - (1d20+4)[5].
    • Damage - (1d8+11)[15], Crit - (2d8+22)[31].

AoO 2
    • Attack - (1d20+4)[23], Attack - (1d20+4)[15].
    • Damage - (1d8+11)[16], Crit - (2d8+22)[26].
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2018-02-11 at 12:52 PM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

10. - Top - End - #100

Bobin vainly attempts to evade the bolts of magical force that streak toward him, but they seem to track his every move. They slam heavily into the halfling's torso, forcing out an "Oof!" of pain as he staggers under the twin blows. The pain causes Bobin's anger to spill over into a seething rage.

"Tru-FAUT! I'll have your head!" Bobin cries as his mindblade flashes with a fresh infusion of energy. To the guards, he yells: "His life is forfeit! Out of my way!"

Bobin takes a quick step to close the distance with Trufaut, ducking under the threatening halberd-heads. He raises his small shield into a defensive, warding position and then strikes suddenly at Trufaut in an upward thrust.

Spoiler: Actions, OOC
    Show

Bobin will take a move action to charge his mindblade with Psychic Strike. He will then 5-foot step to close the distance with Trufaut (avoiding any AoO). He will choose to fight defensively (-4 attack, +3 AC) and make a melee attack against Trufaut.

Attack - (1d20+7)[10] CritConfirm - (1d20+7)[13] (threat on 26/27)
    Damage - (1d4+3)[7] CritDam - (1d4+3)[4]
    ElementalDam - (1d6)[1]
    PsychicStrike - (1d8)[5]

Edit: I need to remember to check for other posts before posting, but in this case it wouldn't have changed much.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2018-02-11 at 01:22 PM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Banned

Spoiler: Jack
    Show

I'm interpreting your action as moving to the upper floor - otherwise there's no high ground advantage. Thus, you reload, move up the stairs into a tiny, single room apartment, where I assume you refocus.

In the square, Jack sneakily creeps through the shop, up the stairs into the room where the shopkeeper lives. It's tiny, sparsely furnished, but cozy and comfortable. As he centers himself and regains psionic focus, he peers through the crack in the shutters. The archers remain outside, looking for him and ready to fire.

Jon charges to Bobins aid, spear clattering against halberds, but a deft parry means no damage is inflicted. Bobin for his part lunges at Trufaut, who is more nimble than he looks, and ducks out of the way.

My head? Don't make me laugh, peasant. You clearly have no idea who you're up against.

With that, he steps back, drinks a potion, and disappears from view. His disembodied voice remains, but seems to be moving away.

Stand firm men! Reinforcements will be coming - and I swear, there is a kings random in gold if you bring me their heads.

Show

Trufaut takes a 5' step, drinks a potion - and walks off.

The three remaining halberdiers enter defensive stances, but continue fighting. The start slowly retreating back towards the archers in the square.

H1:
    Attack: (1d20-2)[17] vs Jon

H2:
    Attack: (1d20-2)[4] vs Bobin

H3:
    Attack: (1d20-2)[7] vs .... Bobin too, cause he seems angry - I guess
    Damage: (1d10+2)[3]

After their attack, they 5' step backwards. And obviously, they all have +2 AC.

12. - Top - End - #102

Bobin shouts wordlessly in anger as Trufaut dances away from the halfling's blade and disappears from sight. With no quick way to get through the defensive line of the halberdiers -- and not relishing the thought of killing all three -- Bobin is forced to admit defeat. "You're skullduggery won't go unpunished forever, Trufaut! You're time will come!" Bobin glares and carefully backs away from the guards, then turns and hurries away down the street. "Time for us to leave, Jon!"

Show

I figure now is not the time for Bobin to stop flip-flopping: run it is! Bobin with take a full-round action to withdraw (double move) down the street, and should be able to avoid AoO from the guards.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2018-02-17 at 07:42 PM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon winces as a rib cracks under his armor. He sees Bobin falling back and runs behind his friend.

Show
    Withdraw, if possible around obstacles so Jon can't get charged. Jon will stay 10ft behind Bobin and use his reach to prevent the guards from catching up with the halfling.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

'Bollocks!' thinks Jack, seeing Trufault disappear. Still, he's not quite ready to give up. After putting up a layer of protection from unexpected blows, he makes for the street that leads back towards the manor. He'll go for a little while then turn back towards the tavern, he reasons.
    Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Cast Vigor: 10 tHP for 2pp
    Should I actually roll a listen check?

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

15. - Top - End - #105
    Banned

Show

A listen check - on it's own - is very, very hard. But if you were to guess the right direction (and a qualified guess is still a guess) might place you close to where he is, making it a lot easier.

It would still require a good roll.

And then again - there might be other options open. For instance, you didn't hand over the key and signet ring.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    ok. You already have my guess, unless that would be where Bobin and Jon are going, in which case I would go the opposite way. As for my listening roll, here it goes listen - (1d20+11)[15]
    As for other options... well, I guess so, but I dislike leaving loose ends around.

Edit: sadly predictable
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2018-02-19 at 04:47 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

17. - Top - End - #107
    Banned

Jon and Bobin make a run for it - and the halberdiers consider the fight won, and the certainty of life to outweigh the possibility of a king's ransom. They run back to the square, where they regroup with the archers. There is some milling about, as the archers are still waiting for Jack and hoping for a chance to cut him down, with the lead archer still hoping to earn a promotion.

The halberdiers however aren't having any, and soon the mood swings against the self proclaimed archer captain. The troops set off towards the Baltraine mansion, one looking slightly more dejected than the others.

Jack stealthily sneaks along the same route, making sure to keep out of sight. Sadly, he isn't able to relocate Trufaut - and so the whole thing ends as an unsatisfying draw.

Show

If you do nothing else, you all meet up at the inn in time for breakfast.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon enters the inn, finds Clovius, orders breakfast for the somewhat-a-priest, Bobin and himself.

He then goes on telling Clovius about Truffaut and the fight this morning. As always with Jon, the story is disjointed, jumbled and contradictory. It seems Jon is very angry about something.

"... an' then, y'know, I keep tellin' them it's ridiculously ridicalleous, but they keep comin' at poor Bobin an' Truffle, he's just bein' an ass, I'm sorry, I mean, he really is an ass, ain't that right Bobin? So, yeah, I have to break the guy's nose but it's their fault, not me! I mean, come on! At least they ain't running after us in th'end."

Jon throws his arms in the air in an uncharacteristic show of utter annoyance.

"It makes no sense why they attack us! Right Bobin?"

Show
    As far as Jon is concerned, Truffaut is an enemy, regarding Orduar's powers.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Banned

Spoiler: It's Official!
    Show

Enemy declared. Noted. The gods are now watching.

Clovius, who isn't one to let the world be something that happens to him, is already eating when Jon and Bobin arrive. He waves a flaky croissant in greeting, motioning both over.

'Ood o ee oo, he begins around a mouthful of food, before swallowing and continuing on less incomprehensibly, the food here is great! Just taste this cheese, he pushes said dairy product across the table, maybe with some of this dark bread and ... oo, just a bit of this wine. I know it's early, but the gods frowns upon a wasterel!

As he listens to Jon's story, he mumbles in acknowledgement, while chewing thoughtfully on his croissant.

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post

"It makes no sense why they attack us! Right Bobin?"
    Bobin looks a little sheepish. "Well... Trufaut is an ass, and worse, a power-hungry sadist to boot. But the Cap'n and I did provoke him a little. I'm sorry, Jon. We should have been more careful, at the very least, and I didn't mean to make you break that fella's nose."

Bobin awkwardly rubs the back of his neck, then continues, in a low voice. "When we were rescuing King Ogg, Jack found a key that we took with us. It turns out it was a key to a bank lockbox... specifically, Trufaut's lockbox. That's why he was mad at us. But we would have given back the key without the need for a fight!"

Bobin pauses, looking down. "I got carried away. I let you down this time, Jon."

Bobin continues with the meal, but some of the taste seems to have drained out of the food. He replays in his mind the events that led to him taking one of the guard's lives. That throw should have been for Trufaut.

Bobin glances about the tavern, checking for the cap'n. "Well, I hope Jack makes it here with no trouble."
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

"You take th'key to True-foe's box?! That's why he's mad?! Oooooooooooh..."

Jon puts a friendly hand on Bobin's shoulder: "Y'know, it's not your fault I break th'guys' nose. Its kinda my fault, but it's also that guy's fault for listenin' to True-foe. I mean, it's mostly True-foe's fault too, he just ain't listenin' when I try t'talk 'em out of fightin'. Also, his name is stupid."

Jon thinks a little more, before adding: "An' his face is stupid too." Jon nods to himself, pretty satisified by this final sentence that summarizes, in guise of conclusion, the very essence of everything there is to say about this morning's events.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Banned

Clovius listens intently, while slowly piling more food onto Jon's and Bobin's plates - quietly hinting that 'you need to taste this ... and this too' - bobbing his head and occasionally grunting in a fashion designed to signal understanding and/or agreement.

Suddenly, he speaks in that same voice Jon heard him use in the church - resonant, deep, a voice to rouse the masses, to shake the very foundations of proud fortresses:

Woe unto those who venture through this life, disdainful of right or wrong. Unto he who would do his brother harm over petty coin,
    the gods weigh the very heaviest of judgements!

Show

If you like, you can roll Int. Not saying why :p

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    int - (1d20+5)[23]

Jack enters the premises as the priest gives his ominous warning against selfishness and greed. Caught completely by surprise, and far from secure of his moral high ground, he freezes, staring at the man with wide eyes and only managing a lame "Uhm... What?"
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2018-02-20 at 03:57 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

24. - Top - End - #114

Show

Int - (1d20+1)[21] Sure, why not

Bobin, cheered a little by Jon's good nature and encouragement, delves back into the food with renewed enthusiasm. Clovius' proclamation catches him off guard and he struggles not to choke. "Omcth?"
    Last edited by Woggle; 2018-02-20 at 01:47 PM.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Banned

Spoiler: ...
    Show

You're Jack. Jon is the other guy.

Also, what Clovius just said is a line from a famous play called The Paupered Priest.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon is eating from the offered cheese (although, well, Jon is pretty sure they're paying for it, not Clovius) when the would-be priest breaks into sudden sermon. Taken by surprise, Jon nearly chokes on his food. Yet, he's clearly gotten better at recovering from such incidents. He manages to spit the offending morcel of food into his plate, before nodding and saying: "Amen," somewhat half-heartedly. "Though that cheese's indeed really great an' all," he adds then with more enthusiasm.

Show
    Intelligence checks? Those are for Truffau and his ilk! A true paladin doesn't recquire such petty expedients.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Banned

Spoiler: Int checks
    Show

Are clearly crutches for the morally deficient =D

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

After the briefcase moment of panico, Jsck recognize the quote for what it is and relaxes. He saunters towards the group, swiping a couple of foodstuffs from their plates. He addresses the priest: "Wow, that was impressive. Do you have a background as a dramatic actor?
    I'm Jack, by the way. We met yesterday, briefly."
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2018-02-25 at 01:14 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

29. - Top - End - #119

Bobin finishes up the last round of bread and cheese which Clovius foisted upon him. Having finally come down from the excitement of the previous night and early morning, Bobin begins to notice how sore his chest and side are. He gingerly prods at his bruised ribs and winces a little in pain. None of them seem to be broken, at least.

With a full stomach of cheese, bread, and good wine, Bobin settles back in his chair. He half-heartedly tries to follow the conversation at the table, but drowsiness soon overtakes him and he nods off, his chin tucking down against his chest.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

"Aw, you hurt?" asks Jon congenially. "I'm sure you gonna be a'ight, don't worry." Jon puts a reassuring hand on Bobin's shoulder. It obliviously glows with faint silver light.

Show
    How many HP does Bobin need?
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2018-02-23 at 02:37 PM.