New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

Bobin replies to Jack: "Hmm, you're right, perhaps we can still get something out of this... servant."

Bobin turns back to the blade-golem-thing: "It's an artifact with much personal significance. Respectfully, I wouldn't feel right handing it to anyone but your master. Is there any way we could perhaps summon or get into contact with Lord Fael?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I guess a diplomacy check is called for:

Diplo - (1d20-1)[11]

Edit: Well, it could have been worse.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2018-03-24 at 05:10 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not like that, Bobin." says Jack, hearing the halfling 's timid request. "You have to keep your voice steadier, like you know it would be unreasonable to disagree with you. Let me show you one second."

He clears his throat, then addresses the mechanical thing: "It's an artifact with much personal significance. Respectfully, I wouldn't feel right handing it to anyone but your master. Is there any way we could perhaps summon or get into contact with Lord Fael?"

Then back to Bobin: "Did you hear the different pitch? he asks.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #213
    Banned

The construct slowly, gradually stops it's threatening dance. It's golden masks tilts to the side in a weirdly pensive gesture, and it's many blades fold away into it's structure, making it look ... if not friendly, at least perhaps approachable.

It replies simply:

--- show me ---
    - the item -

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    I wonder: is there a pattern to the lines?

Jack smirks and looks at Bobin, as if to say: See?
    He then nods with the head towards the thing, as if to encourage the halfling to take a few steps and show it the locket.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

"Aaaaw... Alright!" Jon answers Jack's encouragements with much frutration and a roll of his eyes.

He observes the exchanges with the knife monster silently, arms crossed, very visibly sulking.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2018-03-25 at 04:49 PM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

6. - Top - End - #216
    Banned

Spoiler: The lines
    Show

It's voice is like a choir. Formed, as it is, without the luxury of a larynx. It sings, not because it is musical by nature, but because of how it's voice is formed.

And yet, and yet ... the voice flows with a rythm that matches the dance of it's blades. The lines are mainly there as a visual representation of the fact that it sings, rather than speaks. But maybe it really is musical by nature. One might wonder what sort of soul or other driving force operates the mind of such a creature.

The blade golem inspects the locket, and replies:

- the lost daughter -
    -- you may proceed --
    ---- the master awaits ----
    -- in his study above --

And with that, it's dance stops, and it slowly - and with much screaming of tortured metal - folds itself back into a neat, cubical package. To await new visitors to terrorize, one must assume.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon gives a sigh of resignation. "A'ight, thanks buddy," he adds, for the knife monsters benefit.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

8. - Top - End - #218

Bobin nods a little sheepishly at Jack's display, but he steps forward and shows the locket all the same. He shrugs in response to the blade golem, then tips his hat and adds "Thank you, you've been most helpful. How far up is the master's study?"

To the others, Bobin says: "Hopefully it's not too far up. I think he may not even be here, to be honest." Bobin peers up into the darkness past the ostentatious chandelier, unable make out anything. I guess there's only one way to find out." Despite Jon's spear already being lit, Bobin pulls out his lantern and lights it. He then glances about for a staircase leading up.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Banned

Just as Bobin speaks, then blade golem finishes folding itself back into a neat and practical cube. The final little *click* comes as it's golden face mask snaps into place, almost like a buckle, atop the cube. It looks for all the world like a strange little metallic chest.

It does not answer.

As you observed when you entered, there are stair cases along the walls leading to a platform on the level above.

Show

If you so desire, you may roll spot at this point =)

DC is 15.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2018-03-26 at 11:38 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack follows the others up the stairs (as a rule, never goes first), being mindful of his surroundings.
    "Let's hope he is" he comments.
    Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    spot - (1d20+5)[18]

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

11. - Top - End - #221
    Banned

Spoiler: Spot
    Show
    On the platform above, you notice a small light that wasn't there before.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

As soon as Jack spots the light he stops, shushing the others and signalling to them to do the same, then points at it. The anticipation grows.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

13. - Top - End - #223
    Banned

The light is a steady, slow, slightly bluish pulse. It sits there, center of the platform. It glows. It does no other. Perhaps it cannot.

14. - Top - End - #224

Bobin stops at Jack's signal. He shutters his lantern and peers upward at the bluish light, craning his neck to try and get a better look. After a moment or two of internal debate, Bobin manifests his mind blade and takes a step forward. "I'll take a closer look. Watch my back." He moves up the steps toward the edge of the platform slowly and apprehensively, watching closely for any change in the light.

Show

Spot check in case anything changes.

Spot - (1d20+7)[13]
    Show

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon looks at the captain. "Huh? It's just a light." He most courageously doesn't heed the captain's warning and walks on towards it. "See? Nothin' bad happens!"

It seems Jon is in a much contrary mood, now.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Banned

Bobin and Jon take each their stairway up towards the platform. Bobin curves right - Jon left. This being a high-ceiling room, it's a good 15 feet up to the platform. Bobin cautiously sneaks up, while Jon stomps up, perhaps a smidgen childishly.

Both arrive at about the same time. Dramatic stuff fails to happen.

The platform itself is halfmoon shaped. Centrally placed upon the wall is an arcane looking device. It has dials and levers and little gems and tags. Right now, the gem beside the 'Study' tag is glowing. In front of the device is a large circular carving on the floor.

There is a large, inviting handle that one might imagine pulling. Anything might happen!

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack arrives behind Jon at the landing. He takes a look at the various contraptions and implements. "In for a copper piece..." he comments. Then, with everyone standing on the arcane markings, he pulls the lever.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon gives the strange contraption an distrustful look.

He follows Jack's instructions to go stand inside the circular carving, but not without some complaining. "Jon come 'ere, Jon go there! Jon do this! Jon don't do this! I'm tired o' all that! It's like we always goin' after the next thing an' then it all becomes confused an' then everybody is yellin' an' people try t'kill us. Why's it always like that? Huh? Why? Come Toby, let's go inside the circle."

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon's reproach is spot on. Jack has no answers for him.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Noticing Jack's lack of response, Jon reddens with both frustration and shame. "Good Gods!" He stomps his foot on the ground a few times.

His shoulders slump, he turns back to his usual color. "I'm sorry."

21. - Top - End - #231
    Banned

As the handle is pulled, there is a crack of electrical discharge, and a strange shimmering dome appears on the circle. It remains there - slightly blueish in hue, strange shapes seeming to move in the near-transparent surface. There is the unsettling feeling, when you peer closely at it, that something unseen, just beyond, peers closely back.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

"Don't be, boy. You are right: this is beyond what would be reasonable to do to return a simple trinket." says Jack to Jon. "And yet, despite the danger, I would loathe to turn away. How can I explain... I don't know... Would you be able not to see this through, considering al the wonders we've witnessed so far? I think I wouldn't, not now, not without overwhelming reasons, and it would probably be too late then.

But, it seems, we are close to seeing this trough. I think..."

That said, Jack looks at the control panel and tries pushing the light that says Study. If that does not work - he thinks - I'll try turning a dial somewhere near.

Show
    arcana - (1d20+6)[16]

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

23. - Top - End - #233
    Banned

Spoiler: Arcana
    Show

It's a simple enough idea - provided one accepts as 'simple' the idea of transporting people from A to B without crossing the distance in between.

The device is almost certainly the only way into the tower. It's controlled from somewhere else, one might assume the Blade Golem is the gate keeper. So it's set to transport three people to a given location within the tower, and can be activated from the outside.

Unwelcome visitors might well expect to wind up somewhere highly unpleasant. And destroying the gate keeper would make entering the tower impossible without resorting to engineering. A new gate keeper can propably be sent from within.

Once all three are in the circle, the transportation takes place. I'm going to assume Jack enters.

Having thought for a moment on the function of the device, Jack steps into the circle. There is a flash of light, a feeling of expansion/compression, and then you're in another place. On a similar raised platform, with a couple of stairs leading down left and right.

You look down upon a large, circular room. Book shelves line the walls, and three small islands of tables are filled with arcane apparatus, alchemical tubes and beakers and burners, and a third area piled with more books, astrolabes and blackboards full of arcane markings and calculations.

In the center of the room a large area has been cleared. Magical circles have been drawn, and a number of occult implements lie about. An elf kneels in the very center, deep in concentration, eyes closed. He is stripped to the waist, and his chest is bound in bloody bandages. Long white hair falls to his waist, lank and unwashed. He looks remarkably unwell and pale. In his right hand he holds something shiny and golden - in his left, something red and meaty. Tossed aside beside him lies a bloody knife and a small vial leaking the last few drops of something black and viscous.. There is also a clay urn.

He whispers a steady stream of words in a language unknown and most likely unknowable - but as you enter, his eyelids flutter and finally open, his gaze slowly swiveling to you.

.. such timing, he begins, his voice dry as tinder, you had better have the most excellent of reasons for disturbing me.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Once all three are in the circle, the transportation takes place. I'm going to assume Jack enters.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    He follows Jack's instructions to go stand inside the circular carving, but not without some complaining.
    So yeah, I'm assuming Jon managed to go too.

Jon wasn't so certain what to expect once Jack actions the lever. "Huh..."

And then, they're in this new room. "Wow."

Oh, and there's a a pointy eared guy too. "Hello to you, dear sir or..." Jon's voice trails off. Somehow, it seems wiser to let the others do the talking. Pointy eared guy is, well, somehow intimidating.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack shoots the quickest glance at Bobin, as if to ask "Will you... or shall I..."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

26. - Top - End - #236

Bobin dutifully steps into the circle with Jon. Then with a pop they're standing in what must be a study, the pale figure of the, presumably, lord of the tower before them, and it's all Bobin can do to keep his breakfast in his stomach. He catches Jack's glance and does his best to compose himself quickly.

"Sir, we have come to return a locket, found in the ruins of the fortress atop The Fist. It contains a portrait of an elven lady, and, seeing as you're the only elf we know of anywhere around, we brought it here." Bobin pauses briefly, a little uncertain, then extends a hand with the locket. "Whether it's a good reason is for you to decide." Now that they've finally made it here, Bobin can't shake the feeling that it wasn't that important. Oh well, nothing for it now.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237
    Banned

The elf ponders this for what seems like a very long time. However, you feel like the struggle was lost the very moment you mentioned the locket - curiosity sparked in his eyes, and while he tried to convince himself it was irrelevant, still he couldn't.

He gives a weary sigh, places the golden object on the floor besides him, and the meaty red object in the urn.

Bring it here, let me have a look, he beckons you forward with his hand - the right one, which happens to also be red, do not touch the circle though, that would be bad.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon looks some more at the elf. At the knife. Then at the urn. Then at the bloody piece of meat.

"Just removed your own heart or somethin'?" Too late, Jon realizes that his mouth has said aloud what he's been thinking.

Show
    Myth-Weavers is down, and I can't remember if I ever invested a skill point into Knowledge Arcarna as I've been meaning to. Here's a roll to determine if Jon read anything about a similar ritual in that big occult book of his: (1d20)[16].

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

It says something about Jack's own shock that Jon manages to finish his sentence. The goblin still have an elbow in the big man's lower abdomen for good measure and as a warning against further smart remarks.
    To Bobin he simply nods in encouragement.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

30. - Top - End - #240
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    "Just removed your own heart or somethin'?" Too late, Jon realizes that his mouth has said aloud what he's been thinking.
    The elf simply shrugs, meh.

Show

The book doesn't go into details - it's not really that sort of book - but it does mention various ways of going beyond the point of natural death. It explains that these invariably require the body to die, and to cheat death in some way.