New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Launching a Car into Space

So, this is a real thing:
    Elon Musk’s Tesla Roadster, which launched on top of SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy on Tuesday, is going farther out into the Solar System than originally planned. The car was supposed to be put on a path around the Sun that would take the vehicle out to the distance of Mars’ orbit. But the rocket carrying the car seems to have overshot that trajectory and has put the Tesla in an orbit that extends beyond the Red Planet’s path.
    Mankind has officially launched a normal car into space where it will drift out past Mars. A stunning feat of technology.

Is this a tribute to mankind's technological prowess? Has someone watched Heavy Metal a few too many times? What should we launch into space next?

Source:
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/16...elon-musk-mars
    Hello, I'm Finlam: content creator for D&D5e and writer.
    Playable Slimes for D&D5e
    >>>So You Want To Be A Slime?<<<

5eHeroic - Make high level D&D feel heroic and fun again.

-Game Content-
    Roleplay Warm-up - Exercises to get into Character
    3 Traps to Get Your Players Excited
    GM's Easy Creation Kit (G.E.C.K.)

-Character Builds-
    Building a Super SAD Tank - Using a Paladin/Hexblade to build an unstoppable tank.

Let's chat sometime.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Launching a Car into Space

They didn't overshoot at all; it's on the exact path Elon Musk wanted it on. This way nobody will ever find out there's a dead body inside that "robot." Or in the trunk and frunk.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

What was the point of the launch? I guess they wanted to test out something.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

As I am usually on the side of cool stuff, I can't help but note that it's yet another piece of superfluous orbital debris in an already crowded space. Do they have plans to deorbit it at some point?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    I can't help but note that it's yet another piece of superfluous orbital debris in an already crowded space.
    The car was supposed to be put on a path around the Sun that would take the vehicle out to the distance of Mars’ orbit. But the rocket carrying the car seems to have overshot that trajectory and has put the Tesla in an orbit that extends beyond the Red Planet’s path.
    I don't think the car is going to significantly contribute to the overcrowding in LEO. It's just more space trash.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Testing their new Falcon Heavy launch platform and the system they're planning to use to launch stuff to Mars. Needed to weigh it down with something, and the car (plus other stuff) got them lots of publicity in the progress.

7. - Top - End - #7

The simultaneous landing of the booster rockets really left me speechless.

These guys must be Kerbal GODS

8. - Top - End - #8

OldWizardGuy

As I am usually on the side of cool stuff, I can't help but note that it's yet another piece of superfluous orbital debris in an already crowded space. Do they have plans to deorbit it at some point?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    LEO is crowded. Geosynchronous is crowded. Heliocentric orbits are really not. I don't think having a car in a heliocentric orbit is going to be an issue, since the orbit shouldn't really pass near earth again in the next few centuries.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    LEO is crowded. Geosynchronous is crowded. Heliocentric orbits are really not. I don't think having a car in a heliocentric orbit is going to be an issue, since the orbit shouldn't really pass near earth again in the next few centuries.
    The numbers I saw said a 2.6 year orbit... so 13 years or so.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

This kind of **** is why aliens don't talk to us. So rude.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Considering it's head towards Mars, I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal.

Focusing on the "car" part at all seems to be missing the point. This is a vital step to private space missions, which is the only way we're getting off this rock if the near past has shown any indication.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

The whole rocket was new. It turned that strapping three Falcon 9 first stages together was not nearly as simple they first thought. Even with modern computer modelling, there are things like vibration that can't be tested without actually launching it.

The test did double duty in testing their second stage against the Van Allen belts; areas of high radiation above low earth orbit. The initial parking orbit had it flying through them for hours longer than most flights would, and they then had to relight the engines to make sure they would still work after that abuse. Once they were relit, there wasn't much reason to turn them off. Throwing the second stage out toward Mars was good advertising, and gets in out of the way.

The car was whimsy, the second stage was already going that way so it just caught a ride.

Speculating now: I think this means the Falcon Heavy, or maybe any Falcon, can launch directly to geosynchronous or geostationary orbit. Normally the rocket launches a satellite into a transfer orbit, and it's up to the satellite to circularise that orbit to get into geosync, which takes time. If the second stage can do that itself then it seems to me like it would be faster because the second stage has bigger engines.
    Last edited by Excession; 2018-02-08 at 08:46 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Excession View Post
    Speculating now: I think this means the Falcon Heavy, or maybe any Falcon, can launch directly to geosynchronous or geostationary orbit. Normally the rocket launches a satellite into a transfer orbit, and it's up to the satellite to circularise that orbit to get into geosync, which takes time. If the second stage can do that itself then it seems to me like it would be faster because the second stage has bigger engines.
    They advertise just that on their site for it (http://www.spacex.com/falcon-heavy)

"The engine can be restarted multiple times to place payloads into a variety of orbits including low Earth, geosynchronous transfer orbit (GTO) and geosynchronous orbit (GSO)." - Second stage description

So your speculation seems well founded :)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I don't think the car is going to significantly contribute to the overcrowding in LEO. It's just more space trash.
    The difference is that, since they wanted to test the rocket's ability to carry a payload, it is much greater space trash than what they could have used to accomplish its other purpose. They could have released a media player if they just wanted "Space Oddity" to be playing somewhere.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    The difference is that, since they wanted to test the rocket's ability to carry a payload, it is much greater space trash than what they could have used to accomplish its other purpose. They could have released a media player if they just wanted "Space Oddity" to be playing somewhere.
    Look, there's a non-zero chance of getting into a car accident in space now. Wouldn't happen with a media player. Besides, not like it can play Space Oddity up there anyway.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    Rockets are designed to carry a payload. Launching the rocket with no payload whatsoever would have caused it to crash, because the balance would have been awful. They had to use something to simulate the mass of a satellite if they were to test the rocket at all. Sure, they could have simply used a metal blivet or something, but there would have been no effective difference other than losing some publicity.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Just a note here: the actual lift capacity to GSO of the Heavy when it's running in reusable mode (e.g. the boosters need to return to base) is actually about the same as the non-reusable regular Falcon, so I'm not sure this is as big an advance as people think it is. Heavy isn't useful for Elon's eventual goal of getting people to Mars, either, they're going to build the Big F'ing Rocket for that job. So, while I've no doubt they learned stuff from this, it was really just an experiment that might well go nowhere in the long run.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Wake up, sheeple. Don't you know the Falcon Heavy launch and all those images of the car in space were fake? (I am not a member of the Flat Earth Society and I do not share their beliefs. Just sharing for larfs.)

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...-a3761471.html
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2018-02-09 at 02:46 AM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

19. - Top - End - #19

While there's pretty much zero chance of this happening since it overshot Mars orbit, I like to imagine that a couple of centuries from now, it crashes into some city on mars - right into the last existing statue of "Elon Musk, colonizer of Mars"
    Inuit avatar with cherry banana on top by Yanisa

20. - Top - End - #20

I'm just surprised that Takuma Sato wasn't the chosen driver. Best man to send a car into Space.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm just surprised that Takuma Sato wasn't the chosen driver. Best man to send a car into Space.
    Or maybe The Stig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Or maybe The Stig.
    In Space, no one can hear The Stig.

23. - Top - End - #23

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Binks View Post
    Testing their new Falcon Heavy launch platform and the system they're planning to use to launch stuff to Mars. Needed to weigh it down with something, and the car (plus other stuff) got them lots of publicity in the progress.
    There are lots of talk amongst business types that this is an example of great "free" advertising.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyNoNose View Post
    There are lots of talk amongst business types that this is an example of great "free" advertising.
    Even if he's already launching a ship, he's still giving up a car for the advertising. That's not in any way "free." It's damned effective advertising, is what they should be saying.

25. - Top - End - #25

DwarfClericGuy

Even if he's already launching a ship, he's still giving up a car for the advertising. That's not in any way "free." It's damned effective advertising, is what they should be saying.
    Exactly. Perhaps I am being a bit nitpicky about the term free. I don't like phrase buy one get one free either.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

It's already been driven for years, and he owns the factory that is building the souped-up Roadster2 that leaves the model he launched in the dust.

He's not giving it up, he's giving it a viking funeral. And making room in his garage.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2018-02-09 at 06:48 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    It's already been driven for years, and he owns the factory that is building the souped-up Roadster2 that leaves the model he launched in the dust.
    So it still has value, and as owner, he pays for the materials and labor to make the new one he'll be taking?

28. - Top - End - #28

"Free" is a relative concept. This is worldwide publicity, for, what, 200.000-250.000 dollars? Compare Super Bowl XLIX, where a 30 sec spot cost $ 4.5 million. And keep in mind how less effective TV spots have become with the splintering of the audience in so many different video channels, + internet. Last year, a 30 seconds spot in Grey's Anatomy cost more than $ 190,000.

It may not be free, but it's still dirty cheap, and transmedial.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Could have auctioned it off for charity instead, I suppose.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Could have auctioned it off for charity instead, I suppose.
    http://dilbert.com/strip/2002-10-10