New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: How fast can you kill a Tarrasque?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonBH View Post
    Right. You can fix this by adding in a scroll of Wish and wishing that all piercing attacks you do become magical regardless of the form you take. So a Diviner 2 with a scroll of Wish and a scroll of True Polymorph.
    Going with the straight RAW, I don't think this works.

That isn't:
    -Emulating a spell
    -Creating an object
    -Healing creatures
    -Granting resistance to damage
    -Granting immunity to a magical effect
    -Undoing history

You might be able to make a case for making yourself immune to the Tarrasque's immunity, although I don't think that works either. Making your damage magical is certainly an effect in the same power level as the ones allowed, and if I were the DM, I would allow it, but RAI has no place here.
    Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    Level 20 monstrous tristalt? No thanks, I already have a full-time job.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by puzzler7 View Post
    Going with the straight RAW, I don't think this works.
    Insignia of Claws from HotDQ, then.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

3. - Top - End - #33

But as mentioned, anything can kill a Tarrasque. Still quite like the idea of lvl20 Moon Druids just flying around as eagles, Spike Growth'ing it to death. Again, not fast though.....

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    Insignia of Claws from HotDQ, then.
    Ah. That'll do it. So our current winner is our Diviner 2, with 2 levels and a single action. You probably need to add in a Diviner 2/Bard 1 to use an Awaken scroll to deal with the Int 2, but those are minor details.

Congratulations, sir.

5. - Top - End - #35

There is another way to kill the Tarrasque quickly, but takes longer than the Hydra strategy.

You need an Invoker 14/Fighter 2/Assassin 3/Cleric 1 with a +3 Wand of the War Mage, a Robe of the Archmagi, and a Talisman of Pure Good. Give the Wizard 22 Int due to a Tome of Clear Thought. You also need one Cleric 9.

The cleric precasts Hallow such that creatures in its area have vulnerability to Fire damage. This doesn't count against the timer. Assume that the Tarrasque is standing in the area of Hallow when the fight begins.

Surprise round begins. Invoker casts:
    1. Overchanneled 9th level Scorching Ray. That is 120 + 5 Fire damage before crit, which becomes 245 after the auto-crit, and 490 after the vulnerability
    2. Action Surge an Overchanneled 8th level Scorching Ray. That is 108 + 5 Fire damage before crit, which becomes 221 after the auto-crit, and 442 after the vulnerability

That is a total of 932 Fire damage.

Factoring in the 25 AC and the Wizard's to hit bonus, which is +6 (from 22 Int), +6 (from proficiency bonus), +7 (from magic items), as well as Advantage due to the surprise round, the Wizard has a 96% chance to hit with each attack.

Then that is 894.72 Fire damage after accuracy using only two standard actions and 29 levels.

----

You can minimize the magic items used. Give him only a Wand of the War Mage (+2) for an accuracy of 75.1%, which averages out to 699 damage.

If so, you can remove the one level of Cleric (the Talisman is unnecessary), so you need only 28 levels.

----

EDIT: Actually, the Tarrasque is immune to Fire damage, so Scorching Ray has to be replaced by several rounds of Magic Missile and Power Word: Kill.
    Last edited by LeonBH; 2017-12-31 at 02:49 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Flumph

There is another way to kill the Tarrasque quickly, but takes longer than the Hydra strategy.

You need an Invoker 14/Fighter 2/Assassin 3/Cleric 1 with a +3 Wand of the War Mage, a Robe of the Archmagi, and a Talisman of Pure Good. Give the Wizard 22 Int due to a Tome of Clear Thought. You also need one Cleric 9.

The cleric precasts Hallow such that creatures in its area have vulnerability to Fire damage. This doesn't count against the timer. Assume that the Tarrasque is standing in the area of Hallow when the fight begins.

1. Overchanneled 9th level Scorching Ray. That is 120 + 5 Fire damage before crit, which becomes 245 after the auto-crit, and 490 after the vulnerability
    2. Action Surge an Overchanneled 8th level Scorching Ray. That is 108 + 5 Fire damage before crit, which becomes 221 after the auto-crit, and 442 after the vulnerability

Factoring in the 25 AC and the Wizard's to hit bonus, which is +6 (from 22 Int), +6 (from proficiency bonus), +7 (from magic items), as well as Advantage due to the surprise round, the Wizard has a 96% chance to hit with each attack.

Then that is 894.72 Fire damage after accuracy using only two standard actions and 29 levels.

----

You can minimize the magic items used. Give him only a Wand of the War Mage (+2) for an accuracy of 75.1%, which averages out to 699 damage.

If so, you can remove the one level of Cleric (the Talisman is unnecessary), so you need only 28 levels.
    The Tarrasque is 100% immune to any spells that make a ranged attack roll, and every time you make one you have a 1d6 chance of having it reflected back to you.
    So Scorching Ray wouldn't work

7. - Top - End - #37

----

Tarrasque either ignores or reflects spells with a ranged attack roll, Overchannel only works on 5th level and below spells, and I'm not sure how the Tarrasque's fire immunity works with the Hallow vulnerability.

EDIT: Swordsaged
    Last edited by puzzler7; 2017-12-31 at 02:48 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38

Yes, I realized it was immune to Fire damage after the fact. I didn't realize it was immune to magic missile as well, though.

I think throwing in a Hallow spell is a nice damage boost, though.

9. - Top - End - #39

That is a good idea - a Hallow spell with vulnerability to radiant damage would double the Paladin smites on my build. You could probably drop the action surge and second attack, as well as the divine favor (assuming you went with Elemental Weapon scrolls). If you can spare a magic item somewhere in there (actually cast Magic Weapon on a rapier), you can swap the fighter levels for a level in cleric, again using Diviner to pass the check. You lose the 4d8 BM dice, 12d4 Divine Favor, and +3 on each rapier, but get +3d4 on each rapier and double the smite damage.

So a Warlock 3/Sorc 7/Cleric 1/Assassin 3/Paladin 2/Diviner 2 with his Commoner 16 could do it in an action, 34 levels, and 10 legendary items. Probably. Someone less tired want to run the numbers on that?

10. - Top - End - #40

Flumph

Buffer (Lv19, Lv15 Bard, Lv2 Cleric, Lv2 Wizard)
    Lv2 Grave Cleric curses a Monster with Vulnerability for 1 attack
    Lv2 Wizard for Portents to make our attack a Crit
    Lv15 Valor Bard, Combat Inspiration grants our weapon +1d12
    Lv15 Bard, Magical Secrets, buff weapon with Elemental Weapon for 3d4

Omae wa mou Shinderu (Lv20, Lv15 Bard, Lv2 Paladin, Lv3 Ranger)
    Maul - 2d6
    Booming Blade - +2d8 Thunder
    Vorpal Sword +6d8 Slashing Damage
    Lv15 Whisper Bard, Psychic Blades, +8d6 Psychic Damage
    Lv2 Paladin, Smite, +5d8 Smite Damage
    Banishing Smite, Magical Secrets, +5d10 Force Damage
    Lv3 Ranger, Gloam Ambush, +1d8 Slashing

Total Damage...
    2d6 + 1d12 + 3d4 + 2d8 + 6d8 + 8d6 + 5d8 + 5d10 + 1d8

or

3d4 + 10d6 + 14d8 + 5d10 + 1d12

CRIT!

6d4 + 20d6 + 28d8 + 10d10 + 2d12 = 279

VULNERABILITY TO ALL DAMAGE!

558 damage

(Note, it's actually a bit higher than this. Since There are some static damage increases I didn't consider. Could also make him a Half Orc a bit more damage)

Edit - Wow... Not enough, Tarrasque has 676 HP. While I know that we actually did maybe 20 more damage with the Static Modifiers, I don't think we are reaching the 118 difference without another buff or something.
    I'm out of ideas atm tho, can anyone think of something?

Edit 2
    As I said already, Half Orc will give a bit more
    Could use a Feat to take a Fighter Maneuver for an additional 1d6 damage
    Potion of Growth can enlarge us for an additional 1d4 damage
    Helm of Brilliance's fire opal deals an additional 1d6 damage

Edit 3 - Let's see what the static bonuses would be
    +5 from Stats
    +10 from GWM
    ... That's it?
    +20 from Aasimar Racial

New total...
    4d4 + 12d6 + 14d8 + 5d10 + 1d12
    8d4 + 24d6 + 28d8 + 10d10 + 2d12 = 298 + 35 from Flat bonuses = 333...

After Vulnerability...

666 damage! 10 HP short~ So close! JUST NEED A LITTLE MORE!

Edit 4 !
    OH I KNOW!
    Omae wa mou Shinderu (Lv20, Lv15 Bard, Lv2 Paladin, Lv3 Ranger Warlock!)
    Maul - 2d6
    Booming Blade - +2d8 Thunder
    Vorpal Sword +6d8 Slashing Damage
    Lv15 Whisper Bard, Psychic Blades, +8d6 Psychic Damage
    Lv2 Paladin, Smite, +5d8 Radiant Damage
    Banishing Smite, Magical Secrets, +5d10 Force Damage
    Lv3 Warlock, Hex Curse, +6 damage
    Lv3 Warlock, Eldritch Smite, +3d8 Force Damage
    Feat Fighter Maneuver, +1d6 damage
    Potion of Growth, +1d4 damage

+5 from Stats
    +6 from Proficiency from Hex Curse
    +10 from GWM
    +20 from Aasimar Racial

4d4 + 11d6 + 16d8 + 5d10 + 1d12
    CRIT!
    8d4 + 22d6 + 32d8 + 10d10 + 2d12 = 309 + 41 = 350 damage
    VULNERABILITY
    700 damage!

OMAE WA MOU........................

SHINDERU!!!!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lvl 17 cleric. Prep
    1. buy couple of carts full of dog biscuits
    2. kill some Githyanki

Event:
    1. Animal Handling (because that's way cooler then 4 dominate monster spells to get over his legenairy resitance )
    2. Astral projection
    3. Cut the cord with a silver sword
    Yes, tabaxi grappler. It's a thing

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Alucard (TFS): I do things. I take very enthusiastic walks through the woods
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries
    Actually, "(e-1)/e for a limit to infinitiy", but, it's a good rule of thumb

12. - Top - End - #42

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Talamare View Post
    Buffer (Lv19, Lv15 Bard, Lv2 Cleric, Lv2 Wizard)
    This setup is killing him in literally 1 attack

It's currently 39 Levels, but it probably doesn't need all 39.
    We could probably trim the buffer since we have 24 extra damage
    Lv2 Cleric and Lv2 Wizard is mandatory, however Lv15 Bard isn't

We just need him to have 7th level spell slots, which happens at 13
    but we have 4 levels in casters already meaning we could do it at 9... but then he doesn't get Magical Secrets~... So 10
    The only reduction to our damage would be going from 1d12 to 1d10 Bardic Inspiration
    Which means we would be doing 696 damage instead.

So Lv10 Bard, Lv2 Cleric, Lv2 Wizard, or Lv14 Buffer + Lv20 Striker = Lv34 total

Turn 0, Buff the Elemental Weapon, Inspire our Attacker; Attacker Bonus Action Banishing Smite
    Turn 1 Buffer, Channel Divinity
    Turn 1 Striker, Bonus Action Hex Curse, Main Action cast Booming Blade

Requires almost 0 preparation, just need the buffer to roll a single Crit on his Portents.

13. - Top - End - #43

Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to the rules of engagement, the timer starts when you cast a 1 minute buff. So Turn 0 (the surprise round) would be the buff and curse, and Turn 1 would be the attack, making it a 2 round kill, albeit a very powerful swipe.

Also, Hallow makes people vulnerable to only one energy type except slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning, so only a portion of that will double. There is a way to inflict vulnerability to all damage, but that's via Contagion's Flesh Rot.

14. - Top - End - #44

Flumph

Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to the rules of engagement, the timer starts when you cast a 1 minute buff. So Turn 0 (the surprise round) would be the buff and curse, and Turn 1 would be the attack, making it a 2 round kill, albeit a very powerful swipe.

Also, Hallow makes people vulnerable to only one energy type except slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning, so only a portion of that will double. There is a way to inflict vulnerability to all damage, but that's via Contagion's Flesh Rot.
    It's Grave Domain Channel Divinity from Xanathar's
    Action - Vulnerability to 1 Attack

Even if we lose the 12 flat damage from Hexblade Curse, we can still 1 hit kill him with 684 damage

Elemental Weapon has 1 hour duration, so it's apparently legal for a prebuff

So our turn is
    Elemental Weapon prebuff
    Buffer Turn 1 - Action Channel Divinity, Bonus Action Bardic Inspire
    Attacker Turn 1 - Bonus Action Spell Banishing Smite, Action Cantrip Spell Booming Blade

15. - Top - End - #45

Banishing Smite and Hex are both concentration spells, iirc, but as you note, you don't need Hex. That's, uh, that's impressive.

16. - Top - End - #46

Flumph

Banishing Smite and Hex are both concentration spells, iirc, but as you note, you don't need Hex. That's, uh, that's impressive.
    Wasn't Hex the spell

Was Hex Curse the class feature

17. - Top - End - #47

Ah, my bad.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

If we use RAW, the Fates in the Deck of Many Things can let a level 1 character with a familiar can cause the Tarrasque in a single action. As the Fates allows you to erase a single event, just erase the birth of the Tarrasque. All you have to do is have your familiar draw a cards until it gets the fates, then have it erase the Tarrasque's birth the moment initiative starts. And if the familiar dies before it draws the right card, then summon a new one and make it draw cards.

19. - Top - End - #49

Mmm...

1. Not exactly what we're looking for, but it's not invalid except for that preventing the Tarrasque from existing is not the same as killing it - killing it requires it to have lived.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Lv 35

Lv 20 - Eldritch Knight 11/Assassin 3/Paladin 6 - half orc / orccish fury / gwm

Caster lv 6 (ek 3 + paladin 3) for smites (4 3 3)

Lv 15 - Valor Bard 15 (teleport, elemental weapon)
    Inspiration 1d12

Pre-buff: Bard cast Elemental Weapon upcast lv 7 on Fighter
    Round 1:
    Bard use Inspiration on Fighter + Teleport to Tarrasque

Fighter Attack (x3), Action Surge (x3) and Bonus Action from GWM after crit - 7 Attacks, Smite 7 times, Activate Orccish Fury and Inspiration on first attack. Use a Great Axe. Assassin will crit all attacks.

7d12+6d4+5+10+3+8d8 (2d12 weapon, 2d12 orccish fury, 2d12 inspiration, 1d12 half orc)
    3d12+6d4+5+10+3+8d8
    3d12+6d4+5+10+3+8d8
    3d12+6d4+5+10+3+6d8
    3d12+6d4+5+10+3+6d8
    3d12+6d4+5+10+3+6d8
    3d12+6d4+5+10+3+4d8

Damage:
    101,5 (x2)
    92,5 (x3)

Total: 678,5
    Last edited by BobZan; 2018-01-02 at 08:20 AM.
    Signed

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talamare View Post
    The trick is preparing the Hydra

You gain the mental stat of the thing you transform into, meaning you need to somehow remember not to kill the people who keep torturing you with only 2 int.

Other than that hand wavable limitation, this will probably be the fastest possible.
    Attuned headband of intellect. INT 19. We are allowed magic items.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Attuned headband of intellect. INT 19. We are allowed magic items.
    That will need to be an INCREDIBLY stretchy headband
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    That will need to be an INCREDIBLY stretchy headband
    Hah!

And, with the insignia of fangs, and scrolls of wish and true polymorph, brings us to 4/10 magic items.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Hah!

And, with the insignia of fangs, and scrolls of wish and true polymorph, brings us to 4/10 magic items.
    Technically, we need either a scroll of Wish or an Insignia of Fangs, but not both.

And we don't strictly need a headband of intellect, so that shouldn't count.
    Last edited by LeonBH; 2018-01-02 at 08:42 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Dropping to Int 2 probably makes you lose concentration on the spell.

Also, you'd need to be level 8 or higher to turn into a Hydra.

26. - Top - End - #56

Dropping to Int 2 probably makes you lose concentration on the spell.

Also, you'd need to be level 8 or higher to turn into a Hydra.
    If we're going by RAW, dropping to Int 2 does not make you lose concentration on the spell.

And fair enough, it takes 8 levels to get a Hydra after all.

EDIT: On second thought, the Diviner 2 only needs to find a large statue and cast True Polymorph on it, creating a Hydra. For as long as the Diviner retains concentration, they have control of its actions.

When it becomes permanent, though, they lose control of the creature. But considering the Diviner no longer needs to make concentration saves whenever the Hydra takes damage, they don't have to wait the full hour before attacking the Tarrasque.
    Last edited by LeonBH; 2018-01-02 at 09:31 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Ah, I couldn't remember if 5e had the Int 9 and lower can't cast spells clause.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If this is 5e, All I need is one round of prep and 2 MC rogues. Each one is Rogue 8, Mystic 8, Paladin 2, Grave Cleric 2. Race is Goblin. Here's the build:

Rogue 8 (Assassin)
    Mystic 8 (Soul Knife) Talents: Blind Spot, Delusion
    Disciplines: psionic weapon, bestial form, psychic assault, iron durability
    Cleric 2 (Grave, Xanathar Version)
    Paladin 2

Soul Knife 2d8+8
    Booming Blade 6d8
    Sneak Attack 8d6
    Lethal Strike 12d10
    Psionic thingy 2d8+9
    Fury of the Small +20
    Thunderous smite 4d6
    Smite 6d8
    Path to Grave ×2
    + 4d8 assuming is moves next turn.

452 Avg. Nova damage
    Max 698 Nova damage

Most of the damage is psychic, and none is anything the tarrasque is immune or resistant to.

One prep round: Each rogue uses Path to The Grave as action, and Thunderous smite as bonus action.
    Attack: Both rogues rush in and obliterate the Tarrasque for a total average damage of 904.

Not sure if the 2 paths to the grave cancel each other out though.