1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Steady Fist [Base Class]

The Steady Fist

"The answer lies in the heart of the battle."

A steady fist is an individual who has unlocked the power of their ki and uses it in tandem with martial arts prowess to achieve their goals.

Adventures: A steady fist goes on adventures to delve ever further into the potential of their ki while also potentially being driven towards a cause they have taken to heart.

Characteristics: A steady fist's personality depends on their alignment and their goals, but usually they are at least somewhat calm in most situations. When they fight they may adopt a different personality depending on what techniques they use.

Alignment: A steady fist must have at least some slight control over their emotions and thoughts such as is needed to focus their ki, but they do not necessarily need the rigid absolute control that a monk's fighting style demands.

Religion: A steady fist may be of any given religion (even ones that allow or focus on chaos) or no religion, but there is a tendency towards deities of martial prowess (such as Kord).

Background: A steady fist can be trained by martial artists or could awaken their potential through training in a sudden moment (such as accidentally igniting a training dummy or having their ki intercept an attack during a sparring session).

Races: Any race capable of channeling ki is capable of becoming a steady fist. Longer lived races pursue it as an art form in some cases. Shorter lived races are drawn to its power.

Game Rule Information:
    A steady fist has the following game statistics.
    Ability Scores: A steady fist benefits most from a high strength score for striking power. Constitution is important to a steady fist who routinely participates on the front line. Wisdom improves some of the mystic abilities of the steady fist and makes them more difficult to hit. Dexterity can also be useful to a steady fist if they choose finesse over strength.
    Alignment: Any nonchaotic.
    Hit Dice: d8.
    Starting Wealth: As monk.
    Starting Age: As fighter.

Class Skills:
    The Steady Fistís class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

The Steady Fist
    Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special Ki Points
    1st
    +0
    +2
    +2
    +2
    AC Bonus, Mystic Martial Arts, Unarmed Strike 1d6 1
    2nd
    +1
    +3
    +3
    +3
    Ki Aura +1 2
    3rd
    +2
    +3
    +3
    +3
    4th
    +3
    +4
    +4
    +4
    Mystic Martial Arts 4
    5th
    +3
    +4
    +4
    +4
    AC Bonus +1, Ki Aura d10 5
    6th
    +4
    +5
    +5
    +5
    Ki Aura +2 6
    7th
    +5
    +5
    +5
    +5
    Mystic Martial Arts 7
    8th
    +6/+1
    +6
    +6
    +6
    Unarmed Strikes 2d6 8
    9th
    +6/+1
    +6
    +6
    +6
    10th
    +7/+2
    +7
    +7
    +7
    AC Bonus +2, Mystic Martial Arts 10
    11th
    +8/+3
    +7
    +7
    +7
    12th
    +9/+4
    +8
    +8
    +8
    Ki Aura +3 12
    13th
    +9/+4
    +8
    +8
    +8
    Mystic Martial Arts 13
    14th
    +10/+5
    +9
    +9
    +9
    15th
    +11/+6/+1
    +9
    +9
    +9
    AC Bonus +3, Ki Aura d6 15
    16th
    +12/+7/+2
    +10
    +10
    +10
    Mystic Martial Arts, Unarmed Strikes 3d6 16
    17th
    +12/+7/+2
    +10
    +10
    +10
    18th
    +13/+8/+3
    +11
    +11
    +11
    Ki Aura +4 18
    19th
    +14/+9/+4
    +11
    +11
    +11
    Mystic Martial Arts 19
    20th
    +15/+10/+5
    +12
    +12
    +12
    AC Bonus +4, Copy Style 20

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the steady fist.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

Steady fists are proficient with unarmed strikes, all natural weapons, and gauntlets (but only regular gauntlets, not spiked gauntlets or any other kind).

A steady fist is not proficient with any armor or shields.

When wearing armor, using a shield, or carrying a medium or heavy load, a steady fist loses his AC bonus and cannot use mystic martial arts.

Unarmed Strike

At 1st level, a steady fist gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A steady fistís attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a steady fist may even make unarmed strikes with his hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a steady fist striking unarmed. A steady fist may thus apply his full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all his unarmed strikes. A steady fist may use a gauntlet (though not a spiked gauntlet) as though it were an unarmed strike for all purposes and benefit normally from any enhancements it might have. A steady fist may make a two handed unarmed strike (even with a single gauntlet) to add 1.5 times his strength modifier on the damage roll as well as other potential benefits.

Usually a steady fistís unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but he can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on his attack roll. He has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.

A steady fistís unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

A steady fist also deals more damage with his unarmed strikes than a normal person would. At 1st level, a medium sized steady fist deals 1d6 damage as an appropriate sized club would deal. At 8th level and every 8 levels thereafter the steady fist deals an extra 1d6 damage with his unarmed strikes. Smaller or larger steady fists deal damage as a club appropriately sized to them would deal and add such damage at the same 8 level intervals.

A steady fist with natural weapons could potentially (DM adjudication required) treat some of them as unarmed strikes in the same way as a gauntlet.

AC Bonus (Ex)

When unarmored and unencumbered, the steady fist adds his Wisdom bonus (if any) to his AC. In addition, a steady fist gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every steady fist levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level).

These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the steady fist is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears any armor, when he carries a shield, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.

A steady fist gains the improved natural armor feat at 1st level without needing to meet the prerequisites for taking it and may take it additional times as though he did meet the prerequisites for taking it.

Mystic Martial Arts (Su)

A steady fist learns a number of conduits for their ki in the form of fighting techniques over the course of their studies. These techniques are fueled by their ki and can be developed into various levels of effectiveness that require more ki. A steady fists ki reserves are restored after they spend 1 hour of contemplation in which they must not take more than a standard or move action each round. A steady fist may only restore their ki reserves once per day. The saving throws for the following abilities are wisdom based (10 + 1/2 steady fist level + Wisdom modifier). All steady fist techniques must be made with unarmed strikes, natural weapons, or gauntlets (in some cases only particular types of unarmed strikes or natural weapons will suffice, though the DM may adjudicate exceptions to be allowed). A steady fist cannot use mystic martial arts when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears any armor, when he carries a shield, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.

At 1st level, a steady fist learns one technique from the list below. At 4th level and every 3 levels thereafter (7th, 10th, etc.) a steady fist may either learn a different technique or gain a mastery level in a technique he already knows. A steady fist also gains 1 point of ki reserve at every steady fist class level. Ki techniques cost a number of ki points equal to their mastery level (1 for I, 2 for II, and 3 for III). A steady fist may not use more than one technique in a single round.

A steady fist may make any strikes (melee attacks) involved with a technique as "two-handed", but they do so with a -2 penalty on the attack roll. In the case of flaming fists the two attacks are consolidated into a single attack that adds the two damage dice amounts.

Ki Blast I: A steady fist may project his ki outwards at a single target as a basic attack that requires a standard action. This attack may take many forms such as beams from his eyes, an orb fired from his palm, a crescent blade of energy flying towards an opponent, or any number of other possibilities. The result is a ranged touch attack that has medium range (100 feet + 10 feet per steady fist level) and deals 1d6 points of damage per steady fist level (up to a maximum of 5d6 at 5th level). Firing a ki blast provokes an attack of opportunity as a ranged attack with a ranged weapon would.
    Ki Blast II: As ki blast I, except up to a maximum of 12d6 damage at 12th level and with a +2 bonus on the attack roll.
    Ki Blast III: As ki blast I, except up to a maximum of 1d6 damage per class level with no limit and with a +4 bonus on the attack roll.

Lightning Kick I: A steady fist may make a jump kick that causes them to move suddenly with a trail of lightning at a target as a standard action. The steady fist may choose a new location up to medium range (100 feet + 10 feet per steady fist level) for which he has line of effect and could conceivably fly towards and be moved their as he rides the lightning. They may then make a single attack unarmed attack (this is a kick and as such a gauntlet will not function for this attack) and add 1d12 electricity damage to their damage roll. This damage increases by 1d12 for every 2 steady fist levels he has to a maximum of 3d12 at 5th level (1d12 at 1st level, 2d12 at 3rd, 3d12 at 5th). This attack gains a +4 bonus against targets wearing a significant amount of metal. The movement of this ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
    Lightning Kick II: As lightning kick I, except up to a maximum of 6d12 extra electricty damage at 11th level and requiring only a swift action.
    Lightning Kick III: As lightning kick I, except up to a maximum of 1d12 + 1d12 extra electricity damage per 2 steady fist levels after 1st, requiring only a free action, and with a +2 bonus on all attack rolls made until his next turn.

Shatterpoint I: A steady fist may concentrate intense cold into a single part of their body to make a powerful strike which is particularly damaging to objects. As a standard action, the steady fist makes a single melee attack that deals 1d4+1 points of additional cold damage to a target per steady fist level (up to a maximum of 5d4+5 cold damage at 5th level). The cold damage from this ability ignores hardness and the attack roll is made at a +4 bonus against targets not well protected against cold (warm clothing and other things can either reduce or negate this bonus). Against inanimate objects the cold damage dealt by this technique is doubled.
    Shatterpoint II: As shatterpoint I, except up to a maximum of 12d4+12 extra cold damage at 12th level and cold damage dealt against objects is tripled.
    Shatterpoint III: As shatterpoint I, except up to a maximum of 1d4+1 extra cold damage per steady fist level with no limit and cold damage dealt against objects is quadrupled.

Flaming Fists I: A steady fist may envelop his fists or gauntlets with flames to deliver a pair of powerful attacks. As a standard action, the steady fist may make up to two unarmed strikes or gauntlet attacks (one with each hand) that deal 1d6 additional fire damage plus an additional 1d6 fire damage for every 2 steady fist levels he has after 1st up to a maximum of +3d6 at 5th level (+2d6 at 3rd, +3d6 at 5th). Both of these attacks are made at his full base attack bonus.
    Flaming Fists II: As flaming fists I, except up to a maximum of 6d6 extra damage at 11th level, and one of the fists deals extra fire damage while the other deals extra untyped damage or fire damage (chosen at the time of attack).
    Flaming Fists III: As flaming fists II, except up to 1d6 extra damage per steady fist level with no limit.

Tremor Stomp I: A steady fist may make an axe kick against the ground as a standard action that causes a wave of destructive force to radiate outwards or travel in a line. Creatures within a 10 foot radius or a 30 foot line must make a reflex save (for half damage) or take 1d6 points of damage plus the steady fist's strength modifier (not added to each damage dice) plus an additional 1d6 points of damage per 2 steady fist levels after first up to a maximum of 3d6 at 5th level (2d6 at 3rd, 3d6 at 5th) and be knocked prone (reflex negates). The damage dealt by this ability is subject to most forms damage reduction, but is still supernatural bludgeoning damage and overcomes magic damage reduction.
    Tremor Stomp II: As tremor stomp I, except up to a maximum of 6d6 damage at 11th level, adds double strength modifier to total damage (not each damage dice), the radius increases by 10 feet (to 20 feet), the line increases by 30 feet (to 60 feet), and the saving throw DC is increased by 2.
    Tremor Stomp III: As tremor stomp I, except up to a maximum of 1d6 + 1d6 damage per 2 steady fist levels after 1st, adds triple strength modifier to to total damage (not each damage dice), the radius increases by 20 feet (to 40 feet), the line increases by 90 feet (to 120 feet), and the saving throw DC is increased by 4.

Echo Slam I: A steady fist can create a deafening blast of sonic energy by slamming energy gathered on his wrists together as a standard action. Creatures within a 20 foot radius or a 40 foot cone must make a reflex save (for half damage) or take 1d8 points of sonic damage plus an additional 1d8 points of damage per 2 steady fist levels after first up to a maximum of 3d8 at 5th level (2d6 at 3rd, 3d6 at 5th) and be deafened (fortitude negates) for 1 minute.
    Echo Slam II: As echo slam I, except up to a maximum of 6d8 sonic damage at 11th level, the radius increases by 20 feet (to 40 feet), the cone increases by 40 feet (to 80 feet), and the saving throw DCs use double the steady fist's wisdom modifier.
    Echo Slam III: As echo slam I, except up to a maximum of 1d8 + 1d8 sonic damage per 2 steady fist levels after 1st, the radius increases by 40 feet (to 60 feet), the cone increases by 80 feet (to 120 feet), the deafness is permanent, and the saving throw DCs use double the steady fist's wisdom modifier and are increased by 4.

Rising Fury I: As a standard action, a steady fist may make a powerful rising attack and choose to propel himself upwards before, during, or after the attack. The steady fist chooses a location above him within a cone shaped area of medium range (100 feet + 10 feet per steady fist level) and moves to that location. He may make a single melee attack against a target within reach at any point along that line or within reach of his initial position that deals an additional 1d6 fire damage per steady fist level (up to 5d6 at 5th level). Until the end of the next round, the steady fist takes no damage from falling, gains a +4 bonus to his strength score, and cannot take any actions that a barbarian could not take while raging. This technique is the only one that can be used during a barbarian rage or similar effect, but doing so causes the steady fist to lose track of friend and foe while under the benefits of the strength increase granted by rising fury and attack the nearest available target. The movement of this ability does provoke attacks of opportunity, but appropriate tumble checks may negate them (treat as tumbling at full speed).
    Rising Fury II: As rising fury I, except up to a maximum of 12d6 extra fire damage at 12th level, with a +6 bonus to strength and the option to forgo the strength bonus (and thus not risk losing control due to rage).
    Rising Fury III: As rising fury II, except up to a maximum of 1d6 extra fire damage per class level with no limit and with a +8 bonus to strength.

Driving Roundhouse I: A steady fist may deliver a roundhouse kick as a standard action with a very forceful concentration of ki attached to it that sends opponents flying. The steady fist makes a kick unarmed strike (not a punch or gauntlet strike) against a target which deals an extra 1d6 damage per level (up to 5d6 at 5th level) and causes the target to be knocked in a given direction 10 feet per steady fist level (this distance is halved with a successful fortitude save). For each size category larger than the steady fist the target is the distance they are knocked backwards is reduced by 10 feet (calculated after determining the saving throw result) and for each size category smaller the distance is increased by 10 feet. If the target's movement is halted prematurely (usually by an object such as a wall) they take 1 point of damage for every 5 feet they did not travel. The extra damage dealt by the initial attack of this ability is entirely supernatural (not subject to damage reduction among other things), but potential collision damage is mundane bludgeoning damage.
    Driving Roundhouse II: As driving roundhouse I, except up to a maximum of 12d6 extra damage at 12th level, and the damage is 2 points per 5 feet.
    Driving Roundhouse III: As driving roundhouse I, except up to a maximum of 1d6 extra damage per class level with no limit, the steady fist may ignore size for knockback distance determination, and the damage is 3 points per 5 feet.

Meteor Dive I: As a standard action, a steady fist may leap into the air and hurtle downwards at an enemy to strike with a powerful punch. The steady fist chooses a location within medium range (100 feet + 10 feet per level) and jumps to it then hurtles downwards to a location within medium range (100 feet + 10 feet per level) of where he started this technique and may make a single melee attack against a target at that location that deals an extra 1d6 points of damage plus an additional 1d6 points of damage per 2 steady fist levels after first up to a maximum of 3d6 at 5th level (2d6 at 3rd, 3d6 at 5th). This additional damage is entirely supernatural (not subject to damage reduction among other things). Creatures within a 10 foot radius must make a reflex save (for half damage) or take 1d6 points of fire damage plus an additional 1d6 points of fire damage per 2 steady fist levels after first up to a maximum of 3d6 at 5th level (2d6 at 3rd, 3d6 at 5th). If the initial jump is not at least 20 feet, reflex saves negate damage and the attack is made at a -4 penalty. The steady fist takes no falling damage while using this ability.
    Meteor Dive II: As meteor dive I, except up to a maximum of 6d6 damage at 11th level for both the fire damage and supernatural damage, the saving throw DC is increased by 2, the radius can be increased by up to 10 feet (up to 20 feet maximum), and the penalty for an attack with an insufficient jump is reduced to -2.
    Meteor Dive III: As meteor dive I, except up to a maximum of 1d6 + 1d6 damage per 2 steady fist levels after 1st for both the fire damage and supernatural damage, the saving throw DC is increased by 4, the radius can be anywhere between 0 (just the target struck by the attack) and 30 feet, and the penalty for an attack with an insufficient jump is reduced to -1.

Spectral Punch I: A steady fist may channel his ki around one of his unarmed strikes as a standard action to surround it with a translucent portion of a larger creature that results in a much more potent attack. The steady fist makes a single unarmed strike or gauntlet attack and adds 1d6 additional damage per steady fist level (up to a maximum of 5d6 damage at 5th level). This attack strikes incorporeal creatures without applying a miss chance for their incorporeal nature and the extra damage it deals is entirely supernatural (not subject to damage reduction among other things). The reach of the steady fist is improved by 10 feet for this attack.
    Spectral Punch II: As spectral punch I, except up to a maximum of 12d6 extra damage at 12th level, the reach improvement is 15 feet, and this attack ignores portions of armor class as an incorporeal attack would.
    Spectral Punch III: As spectral punch I, except up to a maximum of 1d6 extra damage per class level with no limit, the reach improvement is 20 feet, and this attack is a touch attack.

Ki Aura (Su)

At 2nd level, a steady fist's ki envelops him in an invisible aura and serves to protect him from harm. If a spell that allows spell resistance does not allow a saving throw to the steady fist he may choose to make an appropriate DC will save to negate it's effects upon him. Furthermore he gains a +1 resistance bonus to saving throws at 2nd level. This bonus increases by +1 at 6th level and every 6 levels thereafter (12th, 18th, etc.).

At 5th level, a steady fist's ki aura can deflect attacks outright occasionally. Whenever an attack roll, saving throw, or spell resistance (or similar roll) could be made with regards to an adverse effect (it must be to protect him however, a reflex save to catch a ledge is not eligible) against the steady fist either the DM or the player rolls a 1d10. On a result of 1 the adverse effect is negated outright. If the ki fist attempts to strike an opponent with DR/magic or an incorporeal creature they may also make a 1d10 roll to treat their attack as being able to overcome that damage reduction and/or incorporeal miss chance on a result of 1. At 15th level, roll 1d6 instead of 1d10 for this ability (a 1 is still a success in this case).

Copy Style (Ex or Su)

At 20th level, a steady fist has such a mastery over his ki and martial form that he may even copy part of a fighting style from another discipline. The steady fist may choose one extraordinary or supernatural class ability from another base class that involves an attack roll and permanently gain it. He substitutes his hit dice in place of the relevant class level if applicable and gains uses for it as though he were that level in that class. He may also use the greater of the ability score it requires (if any) or 10 + 1/2 his hit dice in place of that ability score for all purposes related to that ability (such as feats, saving throws, etc.). Once this choice is made it is permanent and cannot be changed later. If this ability copies an extraordinary ability it is an extraordinary ability and if it copies a supernatural ability it is a supernatural ability.

===

I aimed to make this a fun to play martial artist class that is a bit more form than function. Feel free to comment. May need an image, but as per edit all done. No other changes made by this edit. Fixed a typo of an omitted + in front of the fortitude save for 19th level.

EDIT: Changed a few things, like ki restoration time, age, etc. Should be good now.

Authors note: While I am not a very good optimizer, if I were going to pick stuff I'd go with
    1-Lightning Kick, 4-Tremor Stomp, 7-Spectral Punch, 10-Lightning Kick, 13-Driving Roundhouse, 16-Spectral Punch, 19-Spectral Punch
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2018-01-02 at 01:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woland View Post
    Honestly, some lawyer somewhere is probably having an orgasm and he doesn't know why."
    No μ! TPE's: 1
    Battle Mystic [3.5 Base Class Homebrew] Narthex