New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: If you were a fantasy land NPC what kind of npc would you like to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I would be the poopsmith. Hopefully the party leaves me alone and doesn't harvest my kidneys.
    Next time I have to excuse myself to go to the toilet I'm saying I have some poopsmithing to do.

At least it's better than poopsmiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    college wizard or temple cleric
    Ooh, good one. Those hardly ever get killed, except maybe to demonstrate this new villain is extremely ruthless, and even then he'll probably go for the orphanage instead.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: If you were a fantasy land NPC what kind of npc would you like to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Ooh, good one. Those hardly ever get killed, except maybe to demonstrate this new villain is extremely ruthless, and even then he'll probably go for the orphanage instead.
    And they get cool magic powers
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    And they get cool magic powers
    And they have a decent job with grateful customers, and they have the best health plan.

Maybe church life really is the best option.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Presumably I'd still be a carpenter, and with dragons and trolls and orc raids always destroying bridges, houses, and castles, work would be very good.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

My Guild would typically remain armed at work.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Dead, probably.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

still all you gents and ladies need to meet me when that macguffin and ship you have is out of power plus with good tech ideas i can be tycoon in the world were you guys need to protect me while i do my work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

The eccentric wizardess who brews potions and creates devices with odd and oddly useful effects, does research into the sacred, the profane, and the just plain weird (but not too weird. Forbidden Knowledge breaks OSHA* guidelines), and has arguments with her cat.
    *Occult Spells and Hexes Association, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Spooky tavern ghost, probably.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Presumably I'd still be a carpenter, and with dragons and trolls and orc raids always destroying bridges, houses, and castles, work would be very good.
    Yeah, you can't go wrong with being a bridge builder in most fantasy settings. Never lacking for work, and you get to tell the PCs to go do some sidequests while you do absolutely nothing for days on end until they obey.

I'd be the villager asking the PCs for twenty bear asses in exchange for some minor magical trinket in the second town (not the first: that one burns down way too often). You want to be early on, when the rewards are low and yet the PCs still want to do the silly fetch quests.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-01-11 at 11:33 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Four letters, infinite possibilities:

B. B. E. G.

You're welcome.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: If you were a fnatasy land NPC what kind of npc would you like to be?

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    I could go Tarquin and be the evil overlord, but I'm too nice for that.
    Tarquin has STYLE. Classic red and black color scheme, and it's heavily implied he's some sort of silver fox. Only issue is that with the way his sons have turned out, he might end up dying in a epilogue due to a puppet. Still, fashion always has sacrifices.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I'd like to be a princess, but I feel like that job would come with too much risk of kidnapping. How about a noble's daughter? That's almost as good, and they don't get kidnapped as often, do they? Then again, most fantasy worlds enforce a pseudo-medieval setting, so chances are the noble's daughter would end up in an arranged marriage at some point. That's not good. I guess I can bump down to daughter of a rich merchant, then? That'll come with a decent amount of comfort without any strings attached. That seems to be the best option.
    You think too small. What's the problem with an arranged marriage if you're the one doing the arranging? You're a noble's daughter, chances are a magical education either via temple or the arcane isn't beyond your reach. If we're going as far as to assume a standard fantasy world, then there's unlikely to be enough sexism to stop you from pursuing your dreams. With your new found magical powers, get yourself Mr. Tall, Dark, Studly and Stupid with rich parents. That last one will serve you well for when you want to sample some things outside of marriage or run your own schemes. Just make sure to keep his idiot genes out of the genepool or just plain adopt.

After all, didn't someone mention that 10 year old monarchs are indestructible? Adopt yourself one. Too young to really want anything but more pudding, and they'd probably make decent human shields. Can't murder me in front of my adopted child, paladin! Think of the trauma!

...I get the feeling I'd be some sort of imp. Too weak for the smiting and just giving people bad ideas.
    Last edited by Honest Tiefling; 2018-01-11 at 01:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd be the sage hidden somewhere far away that teaches one of the PCs their ultimate flashy move in return for beating me in a super-hard fight. So hard, I'm somehow tougher than the main villain, but I don't do a thing to stop him cause reasons.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think, based on my real job, I'd probably be an artificer of some variety, making macguffins and things I don't entirely understand. The PCs never meet The Wizard Who Did It, so I'd probably be safe enough, though there's... I'd give it an 80% chance that I'd be recruited by the BBEG to make doomsday weapons? Job security, at least.

What I'd like to be is the Sleeping Giant, the big unstoppable force that keeps to itself and follows its own relatively benign agenda until the PCs or Big Bad somehow screw up. The Lady of Pain really does seem to have a nice job...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

I'd probably be a keeper of an Alchemy or Magical-item shop. I've always enjoyed the mystical side of fantasy worlds and I usually play as elven or fey-type characters in my games. So being an Mystical Elven Shopkeep would be the NPC I'd like to be.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: If you were a fnatasy land NPC what kind of npc would you like to be?

I'm reading through these NPCs ; so many good ideas / memories. Makes me miss playing D&D so much...

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I'd like to be a princess, but I feel like that job would come with too much risk of kidnapping. How about a noble's daughter? That's almost as good, and they don't get kidnapped as often, do they? Then again, most fantasy worlds enforce a pseudo-medieval setting, so chances are the noble's daughter would end up in an arranged marriage at some point. That's not good. I guess I can bump down to daughter of a rich merchant, then? That'll come with a decent amount of comfort without any strings attached. That seems to be the best option.
    Now that I think of it, your chances of kidnapping are the same no matter what. The only change is the level of the kidnapper.

Princess? Dragon for sure. Rich merchant's child? Orcs or bandits.

The only difference is if you're a noble's daughter it will start out as a kidnapping , but then it's discovered you ran away with a poor troubadour and the PCs have to go through some ethical gymnastics...
    Last edited by Scarlet Knight; 2018-01-11 at 08:25 PM.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

the alcoholic shaman who offers strange wisdom to the pcs when appropriate.

this is kind of what i used to be IRL anyway lol (i don't drink anymore or have schizophrenic hallucinations voices etc.)
    check out my D&D-inspired video game, not done yet but you can listen to the soundtrack if you're bored: https://www.facebook.com/TheCityofScales/

my game's soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-77807407...les-soundtrack

my website with homebrew and stuff on it: http://garm230.wixsite.com/scales

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ember View Post
    I'd probably be a keeper of an Alchemy or Magical-item shop. I've always enjoyed the mystical side of fantasy worlds and I usually play as elven or fey-type characters in my games. So being an Mystical Elven Shopkeep would be the NPC I'd like to be.
    I'll come in ones every few weeks with what I haven't sold on markets or to wandering adventurers or used myself. You can have it for 85% of the handbook price, no obligation to buy the whole package.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2018-01-12 at 08:23 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Khajiit has wares

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I'm thinking sage or royal archivist.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll be the shopkeep at the magic item shop. It's a very lucrative business, I get to have all sorts of awesome wares, and if the PCs ever try to rob me, I'll probably turn out to be a retired level 30 Archmage and/or an a hidden gold great wyrm inexplicably selling treasures instead of hoarding them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Oh, sage. Absolutely sage. I mean, I get to make a living reading books and studying whatever I want? Yes please!

(How do generic sages make their living, anyway?)
    Why, they get a master's degree so they can spend all day helping people with the Xerox machine become a librarian, of course!

Chances are you'll actually spend all day getting interrupted by obnoxious adventurers who need your knowledge to complete their low-level fetch quest, rather than actually getting to finish your reading. Better practice your annoyed muttering skills!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    I'd be the one who wasn't eaten by a dragon, kidnapped by goblins, robbed by bandits, murdered by the BBEG's armies, beaten up by a passing lord, dying to a supernatural plague, haunted by the local ghost, etc. etc. etc.

The one who isn't victimized so passing heroes can say 'this is terrible, we need to go fight something'.
    That's exactly what came to mind for me too.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

A minor Lord in a well off (but not to well off) section of the Kingdom, out of the way, but not at the frontier. Basically a nice backwater little section that noone cares about.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I'd be the villager asking the PCs for twenty bear asses in exchange for some minor magical trinket in the second town (not the first: that one burns down way too often). You want to be early on, when the rewards are low and yet the PCs still want to do the silly fetch quests.

Grey Wolf
    This is my second choice. I want...a herring!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I want to be the local priest of an agricultural deity in Blackhawk748's backwater village! I can help the plants grow and do a little bit of healing when someone gets run over by their haycart, and I'd get to have a nice stable life as a respected member of the community.

Sign me up!
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2018-02-04 at 09:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    I want to be the local priest of an agricultural deity in Blackhawk748's backwater village! I can help the plants grow and do a little bit of healing when someone gets run over by their haycart, and I'd get to have a nice stable life as a respected member of the community.

Sign me up!
    No, no. Backwater places are where the local priest always has to call in PCs when the bodies turn up and say things like:" I don't understand! This was always such a peaceful place!"

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    I want...a herring!!
    Your new priest requested a shrubbery...
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

26. - Top - End - #56
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    A minor Lord in a well off (but not to well off) section of the Kingdom, out of the way, but not at the frontier. Basically a nice backwater little section that noone cares about.
    Too bad for you that quiet, backwater villages is where the eldritch horrors always make their appearance. Actually, I think it is where I'll set up my Little Shop That Wasn't There Yesterday.
    "In defeat, malice; in victory, revenge!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Captnq View Post
    Roleplay liking each other or GET OUT. Because I've had it up to my eyeballs with REAL role-players and their "concept" being more important then the rules, fun, and the other players

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ereinion View Post
    Too bad for you that quiet, backwater villages is where the eldritch horrors always make their appearance. Actually, I think it is where I'll set up my Little Shop That Wasn't There Yesterday.
    Typically you'd be right, but I'd be genre savy and could nip most of these in the bud
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I would be a very, very charismatic half-elven bard with all the PCs wrapped around her little finger. Holding up the campaign with stupid side quests and infighting.

Because it would be fun.
    Aw shucks somebody beat me to it

I would also want to be the stupid bloke who always has some stupid errand to have a bunch of high-level PCs go off and blunder with. Once they come back from slaughtering the whole goblin tribe because I lost my keepsake ring, my toilet isn't flushing right, and the PCs have to go off into the sewers...
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

A cleric for sure, but not an adventure cleric, just an odinary cleric in a big temple or monastery.

Think about it, what do I do with most of my free time?

I read about legends, myths and gods, I also read tales of fantasy and legend.

Then I talk about the lore and discuss what is and what is not canon with likeminded individuals.

Being a cleric in a fantasy setting means that I can do that as a job, not only that but the legends and gods are undoubtedly real, I also get social, political and magical power out of this.

And I don't have to risk my life but if monster do attack I'll be able to protect myself using magic without having to learn it, in most fantasy setting magic looks a lot like math and I just hate math.

So i get away with doing what i love plus a bunch of bonus features, the perfect job.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Halfling in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Hmm. My best bet sounds like living in a thriving city, though space might be an issue. With luck, maybe I’d have access to magical training to make sure I don’t end up the kidnapped victim, though living in a city ensures that there are more targets other than myself.

...What’s the average unwilling-evil-plot-involvement rate of magical initiates?