Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default What's the best name for this sword?

What's the best name for this sword?

So in my setting there is a sword that is made from the skin of a god and melted and mixed in iron.

Is it better be called:

God-Iron Sword or Iron god sword?

Which name sounds better?
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".

2. - Top - End - #2

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: What's the best name for this sword?

I'd emphasize that it's made out of God-skin rather than iron, personally.

The Skin-Taker hungers for more skin.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

of the two, god-iron sounds better to me.

"Flesh of *Gods name here*" could also be neat.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Feddlefew View Post
    Isn't that always the way? You get so carried away with the skin eating...

5. - Top - End - #5

SamuraiGuy

Or it could have a proper name? Like Ascalon, Durindal, Caliburn, Hrotti or Gungnir
    Optimizing vs Roleplay
    If the worlds greatest optimizer makes a character and hands it to the worlds greatest roleplayer who roleplays the character. What will happen? Will the Universe implode?

Roleplaying vs Fun
    If roleplaying is no fun then stop doing it. Unless of course you are roleplaying at gunpoint then you should roleplay like your life depended on it.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Feddlefew View Post
    I'd emphasize that it's made out of God-skin rather than iron, personally.

In the original draft the skin of the god would be of a god of iron, who was literaly made of a type of divine iron, but since this is a dark fantasy setting I figured that this would sound much more sinister.

I used the term skin but now in retrospect that was mistake, flesh would be much more appropriated.

I can't focus on the flesh or skin aspect because the fact that it was made out of a god is not known, they only now it's made of an alloy of divine origin.

But the "The Skin-Taker hungers for more skin." but is not far off.

So in this setting the empire employ dark wizards to summon and communicate with the gods, the problem is that they are terrible at it and always end up F-ing up the summoning rituals, one deity for example ended up without a corporeal form as had to be sealed up in a statue, unable to move or act.

The god used in the sword he was actually the first god summoned by the Empire, a god of wisdom and honor, but they botched it even harder than the other future summonings.

You see, all they got was his screaming, undying severed head. The wizards then dissected it and studied it (while it was constantly screaming), and once they learned all they could, they smashed it into pieces and used them to forge the sword. The worst part? It's still alive. The sword itself is insane from agony and hate, and still wants to have its full body, so it tries to suck out the souls of any gods it wounds, making it one of the few weapons that can harm divine beings, the tragic part is that the god used to be honorable and wise now is reduced to a depraved, insane and mindless cannibalistic object feeding on the flesh and essence of his own kind in the hopes of ending his own pain.

The sword is also known as Godslayer, but to me that name feels a little cheesy.
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2017-12-31 at 02:25 PM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".

7. - Top - End - #7

SamuraiGuy

Or you could call it God Layer?
    Optimizing vs Roleplay
    If the worlds greatest optimizer makes a character and hands it to the worlds greatest roleplayer who roleplays the character. What will happen? Will the Universe implode?

Roleplaying vs Fun
    If roleplaying is no fun then stop doing it. Unless of course you are roleplaying at gunpoint then you should roleplay like your life depended on it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The object is what the object is, the name came later.

So who wielded or discovered it? If that person had a flair for the dramatic, the sword might be named something like "Fleshdrinker" or "Godbane." If that person was a simple, hobbitlike type of character, it might be called "Chopper" or something simple in that vein. If that person is an academic who wanted to be accurate about what it was, it may very well be called the "God-Iron sword."
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    So in my setting there is a sword that is made from the skin of a god and melted and mixed in iron.
    The Scab.

Godscab.

Godflenser.

Leatherjack (knife).

The Scab That Picks YOU.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

"Ferrum Dei", the Iron God.

"Carnes Ferro", the Flesh of Iron

Latin is great for epic sounding names...
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RazorChain View Post
    Or it could have a proper name? Like Ascalon, Durindal, Caliburn, Hrotti or Gungnir
    I second this. Although giving it a name that is something in a foreign language slightly corrupted is also a good idea, if you're lazy like me and can't think up names good.

Alternatively, I'd go for Godforged, Skyforged, Heavenforged, or something similar. Of course the bloody sword has iron in it, most swords do, what's special is that it has something of divine origin in it.

To combine the two, let's bastardise some French. Epedieu (from épée de dieu). Or maybe German, Gottesschwert works well on it's own an unlike French doesn't require butchering. Both based on a relatively literal translation of 'god sword'. A nice OOC hint for players who work out you're using a foreign language (allowing them to feel smart if you're using it's nature as a plot twist).
    I prefer science fiction to fantasy, and generally play in the former genre. Due to this, I generally expect the laws of physics to apply to games, and work from that perspective.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

12. - Top - End - #12

[QUOTE=JellyPooga;22710962]"Ferrum Dei", the Iron God./QUOTE]

Huuunnn... I liked that!

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruviansquid View Post
    The object is what the object is, the name came later.

So who wielded or discovered it? If that person had a flair for the dramatic, the sword might be named something like "Fleshdrinker" or "Godbane." If that person was a simple, hobbitlike type of character, it might be called "Chopper" or something simple in that vein. If that person is an academic who wanted to be accurate about what it was, it may very well be called the "God-Iron sword."
    The very dark wizards who summuned him in the first place forged and named the balde.
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2018-01-01 at 01:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I have a question: How are the players finding out this name? I don't know if Dark Wizards are going to leave behind hints of the sword's origin, just in case. If they wrote down the name onto the sword, I'd make the name quite obfuscating on the basis that the wizards are probably arrogant and won't think that looters would understand the 'riddle'. Through I don't see why they wouldn't just put on a random name to confuse people.

I assume that the party won't have the nicest of interactions with these dark wizards. They rarely do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Ang-Riv Sword

(Sindarin)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Swordy McSwordyface
    Yar! I'm a signature virus, copy me into your signature!

Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context, like a savage

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    Swordy McSwordyface
    Haha.

Iron-Flesh Sword? God-Flesh Sword? Maybe if the god is dead or the sword is all that's left of him, just use the god's name.

God-Cleaved, implying it was cleaved from a God.

God-Price, implying a pound of flesh price kind of thing...
    Last edited by ToysInTheAttic; 2018-01-01 at 04:13 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The God-Iron Sword, Forged in the Heat of Ten Thousand And One Mountain-Smiths' Fires, Quenched With the Blood of an Unborn Universe.

Or Teddy, to his friends.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #18

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by ToysInTheAttic View Post
    God-Cleaved, implying it was cleaved from a God
    "Cloven" is the word

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If the sword is old, then it could have a dozen different names. Somewhere in history someone is going to wield the sword and either not know it's previous name(s) or not want to use them and give it a new name. In short, different groups are likely to call it different things and many of them won't know that the sword has more than one name or the other names for it.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    "Cloven" is the word
    No, it is not. Cloven is uncommon as a past tense of "cleave," and is more commonly used as an adjective.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    In the original draft the skin of the god would be of a god of iron, who was literaly made of a type of divine iron, but since this is a dark fantasy setting I figured that this would sound much more sinister.

I used the term skin but now in retrospect that was mistake, flesh would be much more appropriated.

I can't focus on the flesh or skin aspect because the fact that it was made out of a god is not known, they only now it's made of an alloy of divine origin.

But the "The Skin-Taker hungers for more skin." but is not far off.

So in this setting the empire employ dark wizards to summon and communicate with the gods, the problem is that they are terrible at it and always end up F-ing up the summoning rituals, one deity for example ended up without a corporeal form as had to be sealed up in a statue, unable to move or act.

The god used in the sword he was actually the first god summoned by the Empire, a god of wisdom and honor, but they botched it even harder than the other future summonings.

You see, all they got was his screaming, undying severed head. The wizards then dissected it and studied it (while it was constantly screaming), and once they learned all they could, they smashed it into pieces and used them to forge the sword. The worst part? It's still alive. The sword itself is insane from agony and hate, and still wants to have its full body, so it tries to suck out the souls of any gods it wounds, making it one of the few weapons that can harm divine beings, the tragic part is that the god used to be honorable and wise now is reduced to a depraved, insane and mindless cannibalistic object feeding on the flesh and essence of his own kind in the hopes of ending his own pain...
    "Mournblade", "Screamsword", "Lifedrinker", or you could go with "Fleshdagger"
    Grim specter of noogie hangs like shroud over us all

Extended Sig
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan View Post
    ...2d8HPos: the whole world is my lawn and I set it on fire!

22. - Top - End - #22

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by RazorChain View Post
    Aren't most of those descriptive in their native tongue?

23. - Top - End - #23

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by ToysInTheAttic View Post
    No, it is not. Cloven is uncommon as a past tense of "cleave," and is more commonly used as an adjective.
    It's not the past tense. The past tense is "cleaved", "cleft", or "clove". "Cloven" is the past participle, which is used in the passive construction (e.g. "it was cloven").

You could just use "cleaved" and treat it like a "regular" verb, but regular verbs are the weak verbs of old English and irregular verbs are the strong verbs. When naming something created through deicide, I think it's better to use the stronger and more archaic option (unless it's being named by plain old workaday hobbitses).

24. - Top - End - #24

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbownaga View Post
    Aren't most of those descriptive in their native tongue?
    Hrotti means a brute in the sense of brutally violent individual

Gungnir means the swaying one

Nobody can agree on what Durendal means

Ascalon is supposed to be named after the city of Ashkelon

As for Caliburn...yes if we go back to Welsh and call it Caledfwlch which is supposed to mean hard breach/cleft
    Last edited by RazorChain; 2018-01-02 at 08:15 PM.
    Optimizing vs Roleplay

Roleplaying vs Fun

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Decairn, The Ichor-drinker, the Fleshrender, the Steely Cataclysm

(The above is all one name, or alternately, one name and a bunch of aliases/titles)
    If I don't say that I'm shouting, please don't feel like I'm shouting at you.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Geoff. Nobody is sure why, but it insists on being referred to as such.
    I prefer science fiction to fantasy, and generally play in the former genre. Due to this, I generally expect the laws of physics to apply to games, and work from that perspective.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Superhero in the Playground Moderator

[God's Name's] Nail.

It has a few meanings. Is it the deity's finger (or toe) nail? Is it a nail, in the sense of "Thing you hit with a hammer"?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Savage Scrolls: A Savage Worlds/Elder Scrolls Conversion
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    API Anthology 1 from Drivethru RPG.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I personally like these names:

godeater
    Devourer
    Souldrinker
    Agony
    The Blade of Torment

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Agony, as its strikes channel a portion of the pain of the trapped being into the victim.

Failure/Defeat, as it was their first failure to summon a god.

Original Sin, depending on how they view their failures.

I think something short is best. Maybe it's just me, but I find shorter weapon names more intimidating.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

If its a play on skin then go with something that plays on the kind of wounds it deals.

The God Flayer
    The Skinning blade
    The Flesh Taker

Divine Ruin
    Pain blade
    The insatiable blade
    The endless hunger
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Pryia homebrew world. Come look, ask questions and find your path to glory!