New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What's the best name for this sword?

Steve the Sword

Rust, the iron that is blood

Pleather, the Leather that Pierces

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    The very dark wizards who summuned him in the first place forged and named the balde.
    How do they feel about doing so? Are they like "Hell yeah, we turned a god into a sword! That's real power, not just any mage could do that!"
    Or is it more like: "Oh ****, oh ****, oh ****, this went horribly wrong. We need to hide the evidence! Make it into a sword, pretend it was never anything else, and we don't speak of this again."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

I feel like the name you are looking for is "Nightblood", but only if you want to use the sword to destroy evil. Other options are the Bands of Mourning and Shardblade.

As a separate point, the origin story reminds me a bit of that of the Aesir Mimir, but in reverse. Mimir was beheaded, but then his head was dipped in magical water of wisdom and he became a god of wisdom and an advisor to Odin, while still being a disembodied head.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Mournblade", "Screamsword"
    Two things.

1-Do you know what copyrigth is? ;P

2- Funny enougth there are actually two swords, one is called Screamsword, the aspect of his mind was divided in two forming two swords, the useless aprt of scremaing and madness was sealed away in the Screamsword the anger and ahte in the other one.

Screamsword is kind of useless since anyone who wields it go mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    I have a question: How are the players finding out this name? I don't know if Dark Wizards are going to leave behind hints of the sword's origin, just in case. If they wrote down the name onto the sword, I'd make the name quite obfuscating on the basis that the wizards are probably arrogant and won't think that looters would understand the 'riddle'. Through I don't see why they wouldn't just put on a random name to confuse people.

I assume that the party won't have the nicest of interactions with these dark wizards. They rarely do.
    The swords is legendary, used by the empire as safe masure againts the wrth of gods and spirits.

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    How do they feel about doing so? Are they like "Hell yeah, we turned a god into a sword! That's real power, not just any mage could do that!"
    Or is it more like: "Oh ****, oh ****, oh ****, this went horribly wrong. We need to hide the evidence! Make it into a sword, pretend it was never anything else, and we don't speak of this again."
    They were like, "Iteresting... The god seems to still hunger for a whole body and seems to feed on divine essence. This could be used as a form of weapon".

And the players know it's divine and can kill gods but they don't know about the dark and morbid origin. The party warrior is thrilled witht he concept of godslayer sword, little does he know.
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2018-01-05 at 07:27 PM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

The swords is legendary, used by the empire as safe masure againts the wrth of gods and spirits.
    Soooo...What's the legend? You don't seem to make boring settings, so I assume that someone is going to ask or you could even work it in. If you write out the legend, the name could arise from that.

Else, I'd focus on the fact it protects the empire. Do these gods or fey have particular features? You could play off of that, such as if the fey tend to have wings you could call it the Wing-Cutter, because screw those guys, let's rub it in their face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

6. - Top - End - #36

gigagear god iron

or bloodtongue
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

What's the best name for this sword?

So in my setting there is a sword that is made from the skin of a god and melted and mixed in iron.

Is it better be called:

God-Iron Sword or Iron god sword?

Which name sounds better?
    My advice, NEVER use English when naming something. Almost all current English names are actually just decended from other languages.

I would call this sword Deus In Ferro, a rough change from the Latin for God In (Iron/Steel).

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Soooo...What's the legend? You don't seem to make boring settings, so I assume that someone is going to ask or you could even work it in. If you write out the legend, the name could arise from that.

Else, I'd focus on the fact it protects the empire. Do these gods or fey have particular features? You could play off of that, such as if the fey tend to have wings you could call it the Wing-Cutter, because screw those guys, let's rub it in their face.
    The legend is just that "A sword that can kill gods when they return" there is also a part where only the emperor can use it but that part is fake and everyone knows that.

You see people rarely ask where the magical artifacts come from, no one wonder(Most of the time) about who forged excalibur do they?

Each god is unique, but I decided to go with God-Iron Sword anyway, thnaks for the insights guys.

Quote Originally Posted by sabernoir View Post
    My advice, NEVER use English when naming something. Almost all current English names are actually just decended from other languages.

I would call this sword Deus In Ferro, a rough change from the Latin for God In (Iron/Steel).
    Yeah, that wouldn't work for me sicne Deus and ferro are literally the names for God and iron in my native language so it kind of sounds underwhelming. :/
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2018-01-08 at 11:52 AM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

You see people rarely ask where the magical artifacts come from, no one wonder(Most of the time) about who forged excalibur do they?
    Depends. Many Norse weapons have particular origins (such as Mjolnir) or the weapon used to nearly mortally wound Lleu Llaw Gyffes had very particular origins. Excalibur at least had the excuse that it was highly likely the Lady of the Lake found or made the darn thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

10. - Top - End - #40

hammercock x
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Punchline - the sword is given to a subliterate barbarian who, when asked about his weapon, shrugs and simply says, "Is sword. Why name?"

Because, to paraphrase Sandor Clegane, who names their sword?
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!