Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Question Which Alignment do you Usually Roleplay As?

So I'm curious to know which alignments people typically play over others and to try and get a good idea of this I'm going to go to various forums around the internet and post this straw poll in the hope that I'll get a decent amount of results. Mostly because I'm just curious and I'd like to get some sort of answer about which ones are the most popular.

Poll Link: http://www.strawpoll.me/14736660

Please use the link to vote and feel free to post what you voted here! :)
    Last edited by Altrunchen; 2017-12-31 at 04:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Which Alignment do you Usually Roleplay As?

I really like Lawful Good these days. When I was younger, I erred CG or CN because they were the "cool" alignments.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I put down Neutral Good because I couldn't find Good-but-easily-tempted or kind-of-douchey-but-not-outright-evil.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Here's a rundown of my previous characters. (sort of, didn't play games with actual alignments)
    Neutral
    Neutral good
    Lawful very good
    Chaotic evil
    Neutral
    Neutral good
    Lawful good
    Yar! I'm a signature virus, copy me into your signature!

Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context, like a savage

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Neutral Good all the way

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think I tend to lean away from evil, for the most part, but have no strong preferences beyond that.

7. - Top - End - #7

SamuraiGuy

Sometimes my characters act in a Lawful Good way, sometimes they go all the way to Chaotic Evil. I refuse to put down alignment on my character sheet.

This might be because the alignment system never did catch on in morale philosophy
    Last edited by RazorChain; 2017-12-31 at 09:02 PM.
    Optimizing vs Roleplay
    If the worlds greatest optimizer makes a character and hands it to the worlds greatest roleplayer who roleplays the character. What will happen? Will the Universe implode?

Roleplaying vs Fun
    If roleplaying is no fun then stop doing it. Unless of course you are roleplaying at gunpoint then you should roleplay like your life depended on it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I tend to play Chaotic Good or Neutral Good, my characters just seem to naturally slide towards those.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 21!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

If I'm not CG, I'm not happy.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Kanok
    Rhôn and Molly

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Most often Chaotic Good, but I've done a fair amount of Neutral Good and True Neutral before too. Lawful Good and Chaotic Neutral have come up a small handful of times in comparison.

I've never played an evil character, though. :|a I kind of want to someday, but it would have to be with a group that's okay with it and that has the same ideas of what makes an evil character as I do. (Basically, self-centeredness to the point that they don't care if they hurt other people—a lot of other people—so long as they benefit, while still being capable of performing objectively good deeds and forming attachments to small numbers of specific people. I think if I played, say, a Neutral Evil character in a non-evil campaign, the rest of the players would be expecting me to murder NPCs and inevitably backstab the party/try to switch sides to join the enemy if it seems like the party is losing, and to definitely not care about any of the party members at any point ever, when I don't think any of that is actually necessary.)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    And sometimes you just wake up and you've been a bit touched in the head and there's something whispering in the back of your mind, but you have no idea if it's real or what it really wants, just that now you have a little telepathy. Old Ones! They know how to party.
    Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    The Warlock is Faust: the Musical: The Class.

11. - Top - End - #11

NecromancerGuy

THat varies a lot,d epening on the setting, the Campaign type and the group.

If everything else is open/not limiting me, most of my Characters are Chaotic Good, as its simply the best combination of agency, fit to adventuring in general, and my instincts.

Recently I have had a lot of Fun playing a Lawful Evil Character for the first time since 2012ish.

ALso, the poll should allow at the least 2 options, as this way it might be difficult for many to vote (I know it is for me, as atm I am evenly split between CG and LE^^).
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2018-01-06 at 12:47 PM.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Almost always good, usually leaning lawful (the few non-good characters I remember playing are lawful neutral). I play a lot of divine casters, so I have to consider alignment.

Of my last three characters, I have:
    A LG paladin who worships a NG god.
    A NG druid.
    A LN cleric of a LG god.

Prior to that, I played a Pathfinder arcanist whose alignment I don't recall beyond 'probably good' (She may have been chaotic good) and a cavalier who was my other Lawful Neutral character.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

CN so I can do bad stuff to bad people and work outside the law.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

I always play some flavor of Good. I get too Mich Neutral and Evil in daily life.

Currently used avatar By licoot

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

I tend to run the lower half of the diagonal between chaotic good and lawful evil.

The list (played last semester):
    Chaotic good - Mad Scientist
    Chaotic neutral - Pirate
    True Neutral/neutral good - Nature guardian
    Lawful Evil - Paladin
    Chaotic Evil (but adorable) - Totemist

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Neutral Good all the way - Mainly so I can balance out my crazy CN and CG friends and still be able to do stuff that aids our adventure ultimately.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Single most common would be TN leaning toward NG.

Overall, N > G > E, N > L = C in frequency, but I've played every alignment. Even CE can fit in the right game, especially if you remember it doesn't have to mean psycho.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2018-01-01 at 07:03 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

You need to specify which edition. Different editions have different meanings for alignments.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Neutral Good because most settings these days have absolute nutjobs in the law enforcement and as judges so I cannot support LG. Of course I played every alignment short of CG in the last 15 years.

I might make some enemies here but I feel chaotic good needs a dedicated organization for it and a VERY VERY well thought out set of principles that are deliberately far away enough from NG to actually be considered that. Additionally CG has a very "hippie" vibe to it.
    Does anyone care enough to calculate the force of said explosion?

Quote Originally Posted by MonochromeTiger View Post
    "hello sir, you destroyed our castle for unexplained reasons and then got chased by us (with weapons) all the way to a location where you have a clear advantage and no obvious reason to negotiate. parley?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Neutral Good because most settings these days have absolute nutjobs in the law enforcement and as judges so I cannot support LG. Of course I played every alignment short of CG in the last 15 years.

I might make some enemies here but I feel chaotic good needs a dedicated organization for it and a VERY VERY well thought out set of principles that are deliberately far away enough from NG to actually be considered that. Additionally CG has a very "hippie" vibe to it.
    Ha! I think you switched around your NG and CG there. hippie vibe is NG. Principles is LG.

Chaotic Good is killing evil without any qualms whatsoever and not giving a damn about the consequences, lying through your teeth to protect innocents, blowing up the evil fortress because its fun and you get to snark about it, and taking absolutely no one seriously while you do the right thing. its realizing that nobody knows what good really is, so you might as well do the good you like to do and enjoy doing it. its cowboy cop justice, its being the one that breaks the rules and does every dirty trick they can to make sure good keeps surviving, its the hero that teaches you to be tough, to survive a cruel world so that you can fight tooth and nail to win against evil. principles are for people with the luxury to be safe enough to consistently hold themselves to them, hippieness is also a luxury for when people are reasonable enough to listen to it. goods survival on other hand, when both fail, Good depends upon the CG people willing to go to war with evil on any front and defeat them using any plan they can think of.

Good's Survival, is CG.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 21!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I didn't answer the poll because I don't really have a very strong tendency towards a specific alignment. I don't generally play in games that allow Evil alignments, but I don't mind because if anything I have a slight skew towards Good. Looking at my mental list of past characters, I'd say that they generally fall into either the LG/NG or the CN/TN boxes, but I've definitely played characters of all six non-Evil alignments.

I suppose playing CG or being Lawful without also being Good give me the most trouble as a roleplayer.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2018-01-02 at 12:22 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

"What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of a computer system. Some of them can be bent. Others can be broken." - Morpheus, The Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Krellen View Post
    Remember, Evil isn't "selfish". It's Evil. "Look out for number one" is a Neutral attitude. Evil looks out for number one while crushing number two.

22. - Top - End - #22

Chaotic neutral (still with their own morals), chaotic good or neutral good.

We don't actually pick an alignment and make a character to match in our games, we just start playing then assign whatever alignment matches the character more. Often times the alignment will change, such as the N-NG character who became CN after a catastrophic event.

I really enjoy seeing characters alignments change throughout a game.

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

I couldn't vote on the link, so I'll list here:

(From most to least)

1) Neutral

2) Chaotic Good

3) Lawful Neutral

4) Neutral Good

5) Chaotic Neutral

6) Chaotic Evil

Any others are too long ago to remember.
    Grim specter of noogie hangs like shroud over us all

Extended Sig
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Quote Originally Posted by the secret fire View Post
    ...Sounds to me like a race of fantasy plumbers...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

i tend to play chaotic. good or evil varies session to session. it's not my fault some people ask for a fire extinguisher to the nether regions!
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    You need to specify which edition. Different editions have different meanings for alignments.
    Indeed.

I go with Unprincipled. I'm Selfish like that. Aberrant is fun for the "Noble Demon" type, but I'm more lying bastard good guy than honorable monster.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll run characters throughout the whole gamut, but my most common alignment is N/A, as I'm here to roleplay a personality, not an alignment. If the GM really feels that the character needs an alignment, he's welcome to write down whatever alignment he wants to for his "head cannon", but it won't affect the way that I play the character.

When I do(did) actually write an alignment on the sheet, Lawful Neutral Evil was, if not my most common, at least one of my favorites, and my most "party friendly" alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Second Third this.
    Last edited by Quertus; 2018-01-02 at 08:50 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

I'd like to think that I prefer Lawful Good, but I seem to play Lawful Neutral more often.
    Iop brain.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

LN, N, NG, CG, LE, CN, LG. I have played pretty much everything but NE and CE.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    Indeed.

I go with Unprincipled. I'm Selfish like that. Aberrant is fun for the "Noble Demon" type, but I'm more lying bastard good guy than honorable monster.
    I'm a huge fan of Aberrant as well. In fact, I find they're easier for Good characters to work with than Anarchists. But I'm generally more of a Scrupulous kinda guy.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

I'd like to say either LN or NG, but I'm really LG unless I really work at it, with L > G. My evil characters (as DM) tend to end up chewing the scenery/over-the-top evil (or being on the path to redemption).

Tanarii, Joe the Rat--are there a full list of those descriptors you're using somewhere? They sound like an interesting take on things.
    Dream of Hope: a 5e setting. http://www.admiralbenbo.org
    Thematic Spell-List Overhaul: Bringing meaning and specialization to spell-casters for 5e.
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 533 MM and Volo's monsters