Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 44
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2014

    Default D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    Hey forum-lurkers,

    What kind of words do you like to use when playing/running games?

    I love adverbs that are used to alter an existing concept. They can take a sentence worth celebrating and turn it into a nightmare. Words such as "however", "unfortunately", etc.

    A DM recently used a word I've never considered because it sounds funny in my head, like it doesn't belong to it's meaning. "Gumption". But the character he used it as a descriptor for was very appropriate.

    "Coalesce" I think is a good word. Whereas the word "Conglomerate" bugs me for some reason.

    What kinds of words do you love to hate? Are there any that you love unconditionally, or love despite not knowing why?

    Let's hear it! There are so many more experienced players here than I that I love to hear about your adventures and tricks you've picked up along the way.

    -Dove

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    “Coffeelock”
    Necromancer: "Did you know that most of the dinosaur skeletons in museums are just plaster casts?
    Person: "Did the internet tell you that?"
    Necromancer: "No, just a LOT of disappointing museum trips."

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2016

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    OP, you have a few good ones. I lack efficient adjectives most of the time. The other night I think I described a Mayor's wife as "put together, almost inappropriately young, a babe, having nice hair and when one of the half orc PC's got close I said "she even smells good".

    Nothing about tall or short, thick or thin, what she was wearing, nada. We had to have a table each with their own image entirely lol.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kane0's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Waterdeep
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    Every table has a few buzzwords.

    Cautiously: If you are not the DM, using this word assures that your PC is about to have a very bad time.
    Carapace: Reserved only for the best of the best.
    Alluring: The character (NPC or otherwise) is a succubus or relative of. 100% of the time.
    Legion: The number of creatures the PCs can deal with +1
    Slumber: Do. Not. Wake. It.

    Corollary to this, one time our DM jokingly suggested a one shot that started with the scene: "You see that cavern ahead contains a legion of carapaced horrors, slumbering peacefully below the bustling city above" and we *all* threw our dice at him.

    When DMing I've noticed that my more grandiose descriptions tend towards 3 syllable words. Less than that leaves me feeling like I'm not selling it well enough, more feels like I'm being a showoff.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    willdaBEAST's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2017

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    I really like trying to tailor my characters vocabulary to what kind of person they might be. A low INT character might lack any complicated vocabulary (or misuse them) and be horrible with metaphors, while an intelligent character will seamlessly integrate really advanced words and speak elegantly. Similarly a character who thinks he or she is really intelligent might speak like a vomiting thesaurus and overcomplicate what should be a simple statement.

    As far as the OP's question, I hate the word "plethora". I think it's an ugly combination of syllables, it's used by people to sound smart and there is always a more aesthetically pleasing alternative (YMMV).

    I'm not a dedicated word nerd, but I love finding words that articulate a very specific situation, like "defenestrate" v. to throw someone out of a window, generally through glass. Or truly bizarre ones like "famulus" n. an assistant or servant, especially one working for a magician or scholar. I was playing a character with 20 INT who is on his way to 22 INT through deck of many things and tried to seamlessly integrate 3-5 extremely obscure words every session.

    I'll leave this here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...Loquaciousness

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kane0's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Waterdeep
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    Oh, tangenially related, Qui the Promoter. Loved that guy.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    ON THE EDGE

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    I have a dislike of "MMO terminology" at the table. Things like Tank and DPS when it comes to describing a character.

    Like, yeah, I get that certain classes are built to take more damage. But really, any frontliner is capable of dealing good damage, and 5e doesn't really have an aggro mechanic for keeping enemies attacking you. DPS just doesn't even make sense to me, since the game is turn based and most classes this is applied to have other defining features beyond their damage.

    Personally, I much prefer speaking in terms of that characters role and skills. Melee, frontliners, arcane or divine casters, rougish types and ranged combatants... I feel like using these sorts of terms over the popular MMO terminology better conveys what these people can do.
    Last edited by Armok; 2018-01-01 at 10:22 PM.
    Walk boldly, and discover a world of wonder...

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ross's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    don't dislike any words, but not a fan of acronyms

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Sporeegg's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    Quote Originally Posted by Armok View Post
    I have a dislike of "MMO terminology" at the table. Things like Tank and DPS when it comes to describing a character.
    It is inherently wrong. A table-top RPG _combat_ however works roughly like a MOBA or team shooter to me. So categories are called similarly: Be it bruiser, mage, healer, operator (the skills guy) or maybe sniper. D&D is mostly a fictional mix of warfare specialists.

    My pet peeve is with the little word "justified" as in: The villain has his reasons. His actions are justified. Because no, they are usually not. I might be too much of a language nerd here (English is my second language so I might make a few mistakes in this very paragraph I rant about) but his actions might be "justifiable" as in: "He can justify them from his standpoint" but not "justified" as in universally true and an objectively better option.

    More than a decade of morally grey storytelling has resulted in mixing believable villains with stories that explain their deeds and evil nutjobs that just confuse the audience with their devolved sense of morality. Example:

    Morally grey: The [Dragon Age] templars are wrong to pacify dangerous mages by lobotomizing them. I have to destroy their organization even if it means killing a few of them.

    Blatant evil: I have suffered in prison because Batman put me into there. This makes him the reason I am so broken today. He has to pay, he is the evil guy here.
    Does anyone care enough to calculate the force of said explosion?

    Quote Originally Posted by MonochromeTiger View Post
    "hello sir, you destroyed our castle for unexplained reasons and then got chased by us (with weapons) all the way to a location where you have a clear advantage and no obvious reason to negotiate. parley?"

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    "Build", "Dip", "Trap" (when referring to character options rather than dungeon features), "Guide", "DPS"...

    If I hear someone using those terms I just know that they'll be a poor fit for our table and I'll be a poor fit for theirs - probably to the point of us not enjoying each others' games and quitting in frustration.
    Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2016

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    "Optimization" or any permutation thereof. "Statistically" or any permutation thereof.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kane0's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Waterdeep
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    Another two I love are ‘Gestalt’ and ‘Homebrew’
    Not all at my table share that love though. We do however agree in our hatred of ‘RAW’
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Eastern Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    I keep on saying 'nearly' or 'almost' when describing combat, and things like 'shrouded' or 'darkened' when describing scenery... I overuse them to the point of comedy...

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    Natural 20, when my GM says it
    I do love when he says ''How do you want to do this?" After we kill the last enemy of the encounter

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    "Metagaming" combined with "Real life" because it means someone's about to police someone else's roleplaying.
    “I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are good people and bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.”
    - Lord Havelock Vetinari, Patrician of Ankh-Morpork

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Bozeman MT
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    Misuse of the word "literally" really grinds my gears. That's always though, and not specific to our table.

    Our current DM overuses the term "fairly". Everything is fairly large or fairly small. The word has lost all meaning.

    "Sanity check!" is loved and hated at our table. Loved by the GM and loathed by the players.

    I really like hearing "roll initiative", and I dislike hearing "roll perception" (it's called for way too often).

    I'm sure I abuse words too often, but I haven't gotten any guff for them to know about them. I tend to write out my descriptions before hand because my written language is much more articulate than my spoken. I can put a lot more time into it beforehand. I probably use the word "suddenly" way too often.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    I find it hard to greet the players without saying 'well met' it bugs me.

    also when I fall into overly verbose bad guy mode.

    one of my players says OK before literally every sentence (and I assure you I am not misusing the word literally in this case)

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    We use "I keep an eye on X" a lot in our table, because it lets the DM roll a secret Perception check in cases where he would otherwise just let stuff sneak by.

    I quite dislike the variants of "He's almost dead, but still pushes forward with his attack..."

    I find verification phrases like "Is it a Constitution check or save, though?" funny, for some reason. It feels like in a courtroom or something.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mjolnirbear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2015

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    "Roll to care"

    An Eldritch knight in an old game failed ŕ sanity save and stopped caring about things until she was cured.

    It became an inside joke.
    Last edited by Mjolnirbear; 2018-01-03 at 09:36 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Linklele!

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Pex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    Words I don't like:

    "Are you sure?"

    I can admit sometimes what a player wants to do is stupid, yet other times it's neutral at worst but the DM doesn't like it. He'll say those words first as justification to screw over the player if he does the thing anyway. A DM saying that means whatever it is the player wants to do will automatically fail.

    "Training"

    Old school, I hate needing to train to gain a level. It's a treasure tax, a waste of time looking for an NPC, and a means for tyrannical DMs to lord over their authority.

    "I didn't find anything." "Nothing."

    Used by Jerk players who did find something but wants to keep party treasure to himself. Sometimes used when the character notices a dangerous situation or learns important need to know information but won't tell the rest of the party because the player is so superior. If others were as good as he is they would find out on their own safely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erit View Post
    "The DM is the world, the gods, the trees and the bees. But no matter what covenant is struck or words exchanged, the DM is not the PCs."

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnirbear View Post
    "Roll to care"
    Heh, love it, but I recall using that in a far more sarcastic mode back in the day if someone was being all whiny about something ... any number of the other players might announce a roll to care attempt (2d6, low means no, high means yes, but actually no).

    Words I don't care for at the table:
    1. Kender.
    2. ...

    I think I'll stop there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Player agency doesn't mean they get to roll for everything. Agency means that they control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) or so I am told ... by 2D8HP

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Bozeman MT
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    We use "I keep an eye on X" a lot in our table, because it lets the DM roll a secret Perception check in cases where he would otherwise just let stuff sneak by.

    I quite dislike the variants of "He's almost dead, but still pushes forward with his attack..."

    I find verification phrases like "Is it a Constitution check or save, though?" funny, for some reason. It feels like in a courtroom or something.
    Your post made me smile.

    Or is the DM adding something on the fly because you are suspicious?

    The variant we use is "he's within dart range", because the monk was finishing off almost every creature encountered with a dart attack.

    "Make a wil save" "wil save?" "wisdom!" /sigh Too much pathfinder.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Luccan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Old West
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Words I don't like:

    "Are you sure?"
    I find this question is better when paired with actual description, like "Are you sure you want to try to jump to the bottom of this dry well?". Because sometimes you are trying to give legitimate warning, but whether through your own fault or not, your player isn't aware of exactly how stupid what they're about to do is. Basically, don't just say "are you sure", make sure you communicate the danger of what they're about to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

    I for one support the Gnoman Empire.
    I have a homebrew: A couple Generic Classes (Now with a new Feat and ACF!)

    Avatar by linklele

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    In writing, an improperly used “it’s” draws my attention every time, even though a computer is often to blame.

    In the game, I like game terms to come from the game, and everything else to be descriptive. “Character” is a game term, as is “Rogue,” or “Attack.” “Metagame” or “tank” or “DPS” are not game terms, and do not describe anything that is going on within the game, so I can do without them.

    “Conglomerate” is a perfectlfy fine word for a nebulous enemy organization in a corporate dystopia. It doesn’t fit with the theme of D&D very well.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mjolnirbear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2015

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    "Sell me on...". I hate it.

    Every other thread in the forum is people wanting to be convinced that this class is great or that one is awesome. Make up your own damn mind. Like how hard is it to read the features and figure it out? Don't be lazy do your own homework.
    Avatar by the awesome Linklele!

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2017

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    As a player:

    Hate -


    "let's do this cinematic style"

    In other words the DM is either to lazy to roll things out or is too stupid to balance a fight, or conversely is not creative enough to make sure their npc wins.

    Surprise Round - there isn't one, stop saying that

    DMs who just call for a Fort Will or Reflex save and you have to remind them it is stat specific in 5e.

    Love -

    Role for blame

    Something we started using 15 years or so ago when the bard of the group had a plan that blew up in our faces but he made a good enough diplomacy check to make it look like it was not his fault.

    Now when something goes unexpectedly wrong we Roll for Blame.

    As a dm:

    Hate -

    "It worked in that movie." Or "I want it to look like that anime."

    I hate that crap.

    Love -

    "My character would _______ because he/she _______."

    Thank you for RP'ING with justification.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Pex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    I find this question is better when paired with actual description, like "Are you sure you want to try to jump to the bottom of this dry well?". Because sometimes you are trying to give legitimate warning, but whether through your own fault or not, your player isn't aware of exactly how stupid what they're about to do is. Basically, don't just say "are you sure", make sure you communicate the danger of what they're about to do.
    That's fair. Clearing up miscommunication or confusion of the situation accepted.

    Quote Originally Posted by smcmike View Post
    In writing, an improperly used “it’s” draws my attention every time, even though a computer is often to blame.

    In the game, I like game terms to come from the game, and everything else to be descriptive. “Character” is a game term, as is “Rogue,” or “Attack.” “Metagame” or “tank” or “DPS” are not game terms, and do not describe anything that is going on within the game, so I can do without them.

    “Conglomerate” is a perfectlfy fine word for a nebulous enemy organization in a corporate dystopia. It doesn’t fit with the theme of D&D very well.
    If we're going for grammar, it's would have, could have, should have, or would've, could've, should've. Never would of, could of, should of.
    Also, the word you are looking for is "since" or "because". Never "being that".


    Last edited by Pex; 2018-01-03 at 07:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erit View Post
    "The DM is the world, the gods, the trees and the bees. But no matter what covenant is struck or words exchanged, the DM is not the PCs."

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pex
    If we're going for grammar, it's would have, could have, should have, or would've, could've, should've. Never would of, could of, should of.
    Also, the word you are looking for is "since" or "because". Never "being that".
    I was mostly picking on the original poster about his “it’s” usage.

    I don’t know if I’ve ever come across “being that” other than in “being that as it may,” which is a pretty bizarre phrase. I usually don’t mind colloquialisms, though. I have actually seen some sticklers who frown upon using “since” for “because” in some contexts, to avoid ambiguity.
    Last edited by smcmike; 2018-01-03 at 08:49 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2014

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    Not 100% what the OP is looking for, but:

    Things I love to hear:
    "It's dead. No need to roll". is very satisfying but very rare

    Things I love and/or hate to hear:

    "Oooo 20 on the die!" The crit could be a lot deadlier than expected
    "Roll that again please" Only happens on natural 1's, which means a crit miss could become a lot worse

    Things I hate to hear:

    "Roll a spot check" -need I explain why?
    "... interesting" -it might be interesting, but it's never good
    "You hear/spot/smell/feel a faint ..." -this is never a good thing

    I should mention I enjoy hearing all these things, but there's a good reason for the different reactions.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2008

    Default Re: D&D Vocabulary: Words you love or hate to use/hear?

    “Decimate” used as a stand-in for “devastate”. They’re almost opposite ends of the spectrum and only sound the same. To “devastate” something is to wreck it almost completely, and to “decimate” something is to leave 90% of it pristine and untouched. Or more literally, “to kill every tenth person”.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •